Aperture Science Website Details

Status
Not open for further replies.
KineticAesthetic: Use that knife where it'll do some good! (Spoilers: In Tomohashi)

Something from the Wiki related to Aperture...

Okay, now for the important part that's not quite obvious that reveals how this somewhat plays into the Half-Life universe: He says they're working on twenty year old equipment. The DOS version says 1982, so we can assume this takes place sometime around 2000-2005. According to the Half-Life Saga Story Guide Timeline (http://members.shaw.ca/halflifestory/timeline.htm), this is the point in time after the events in Half-Life 1 where Gordon is in stasis! Particularly, if you want to take the dates precicely, it's when the portal storms occour. Interesting...

I say this thread gets unstickied. A new thread is made with all the info then locked. Once someone finds something that thread will be updated by the mods.

Its just stupid reading this right about now. Every day same shit posted over and over agian.

Hmmm could be a good idea. I don't have the time to look through the entire thread now for the important information, but does the first post still contain the essentials and nothing else new has come up? If so it's not a problem to make a new clean sticky.

Hmmm could be a good idea. I don't have the time to look through the entire thread now for the important information, but does the first post still contain the essentials and nothing else new has come up? If so it's not a problem to make a new clean sticky.

Pretty much ya. At least from what i have read.

Something needs to be mentioned about the stipulation that this may be the next in line in a series of tests set forth by the developers... I can't recall right now exatly where it was written, but alas it is late and there's sleep to be had. I'll look through the original thread tomorrow (before the stickey) to see if I can find a link. I'm likely one of the few people that read nearly every word of that thread, but if anyone else seems to know what I'm talking about and can find a link to a description of it (had something to do with a hidden link off the main steam or half life website... also helped reveal the "real world counterpart" of where the half-life 2 game is supposed to have taken place...) then that would be appreciated as well. Though it's unlikely that this is another test (because of the length of time it's gone unanswered by the devs), I still think it's worthy of noting in case something does change or some mysterious comment is posted by someone who just registered that leads us to an entirely new website with all sorts of new goodies. God only knows that if it is a test we need the help cuz it would definitly seem we're failing.

Lock that sucker down. I've had enough of reading through new posts only to find an ignorant beast was behind it, followed by some well-intentioned flames. Keep on postin, just don't post what we already know...

I think the "link" you are referring to is the "THECAKEISALIE" command, that when entered into the Glados prompt, takes you to a message sent to you by another Aperture Science employee. Is that what you meant?

no not at all... I was reffering to this post:

Poison Headcrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic_Piggy View Post
Can someone please answer me when has something like this been done before with HL2? And where?
http://www.hlfallout.net/articles.php/article_17/
Its a good read. Recommended. This could be the start of test 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r?*omhaire View Post
It's working now. Anyone else notice the letter 's' isn't available on page 3?
Read the question its asks you to choose somebody's favourite letter which isn't 's'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhartb View Post
Incidentally, the IP that added that link to Wikipedia has only ever made one other edit on Wikipedia, done 7 minutes earlier the same day as the Portal update: it editted the article "Marc Laidlaw" (Valve's fiction writer), updating who he currently shares an office with.

That IP is provided by the ISP Comcast, and traces back to Minneapolis, MN.

12:34:37 August 31, 2006 - The flash file was last modified
13:08:?? September 1, 2006 - Wikipedia was updated to have a link to that site
04:43:07 September 2, 2006 - Google crawled the site

So whoever put it on Wikipedia put it up fast and is close enough to Valve to know who shares Laidlaw's office. I wasn't able to find a reason for a Valve employee to be in Minneapolis.
Yes I noticed that too, I can't find a mention of the link anywhere else so it could be where valve started this whole thing off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael Grizzly View Post
I still think the cake's a decoy. What better way to throw fans off the track and surprise them, than utilize the "fake trails"?
Red Herrings suck. I doubt valve would waste people time with them. I like the valve 10 year anniversary idea better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEATH eVADER View Post
How can I remember it, if it keeps on changing after a few seconds!?
That's the Idea . You can't type it in correctly at the end anyway and as I've said I don't think there are correct answers.

well...kinetic..I share your pain...i did read the 41 pages of the other topic...and...im going to tell you a secret..

THE CAKE IS A LIE!!! MUAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA......

thats what happens when you read the same thing for more than 2 hours, and whe you think..ok everyone knows that...appears someone very exited saying: the letters are blinking and when you put all them together you can read "the cake is a lie"...so...I get mad and i'm leaving to the asylum right now...

cya guys...and remember...

THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!

Sorry if you thought what I said was repetitive. I read through most, if not all, of the first thread and this one. As I said before this thread is dead, at this time there is no new information.

Oh my god i think I'm going crazy with this portal thing :rolling: :eek:

WAIT A MINUTE hasn't valve\steam had its 10 anaversery so maby thats why it says the cake is a lie.

Thinking

i was just thinking maby if you only shoot one portal you can walk straight through the wall maby thats how you get out of the relaxation chamber.;)

If a portal doesn't have another portal connected to it, it's solid and looks weird. You just bounce off it. You get out of the relaxation chamber by timing a portal on the wall.

It's an assumption, but I would hold it to be true.

What I want to know is; what would you see in the portal if it doesn't have a connecting portal?

In Narbacular Drop there are 2 portals open by default in each level. From what I've seen portal will probably use the same system. I've seen a screenshot (think it was IGN, unsure) of the portal gun on a stand (ie, you haven't picked it up yet) and 2 portals are clearly already open. Ask Iced_Eagle. He's played the game.

I guess there'll be an ingame explanation because Aperture Science is controlling your environment.

Anyone do the apply command recently? On my computer, some of the letters are flashing during certain questions. It's always the starting letter. I've only gone through it a couple of times, and when the cake flashes on the screen it always weirds me out. Don't know if when they flash is important, but I'll add it anyways. Now that I think about it, it might just signify the word and make a sentence, but it's late and I'm not gonna do that. Anyway, here are the letters:

E A (cakeflash) K (cakeflash) S A I (maybe an E, I might've missed it)

It's an assumption, but I would hold it to be true.

What I want to know is; what would you see in the portal if it doesn't have a connecting portal?
Nope; it's from the GDC '07 videos. You see a sort of ugly green ripply slime.

(...aaand double post. I should, like, sleep.)

I don't know if this has already been covered, but the whole "the cake is a lie" thing is clearly referring to the part seen on the trailers for the game where (in game) the trainer voice says something like "when you are finished report to ________ for a rest and some cake" (something like that). It's a hint that there is no cake, just....... (insert something bad here, probably). I mean, it's pretty obvious what the "cake is a lie" is referring to, when the game (and trailer) mentions that you "will" get some cake if you are "good". This isn't just a guess. It's freaking obvious. I know the whole mystery of "the cake is a lie" was around before any gameplay trailers were out, but now that we have seen the reference to cake INGAME, surely you can see that the mystery is over?

Also, why are some of you so sure that the Portal storyline has ANYTHING to to with the Half life story / universe? Have I missed something (not that I'm exactly keeping tight tabs on things) or are you all mental? Just because the guys that gave you HL / HL2 are bringing you Portal and using the source engine, doesn't mean the STORIES have to intersect at ANY point at all. Let me know if Valve have actually said that Portal is in a world / time the directly relates to any events in the HL series or the characters. Because I sure haven't seen any info like that...

I'm sure one of the guys said it in an interview.

Really. Because THIS begs to differ. You info: 2006. My info : 2 weeks ago. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

On Planet Half-Life is a story clarifying that Portal is a separate game from Half-Life 2 and does not exist in the Half-Life 2 continuity. It was initially built to be added to Half-Life 2, though they later decided that it would be too distracting. They extracted this information from a couple of interviews to clarify the situation:

Why are you being so aggressive?

Anyway that article clearly states that it's still in the Half-Life 2 universe, just that it won't cross over with the Half-Life 2 games:
Kim Swift, in a conference with fellow game professionals went into detail about Valve's decision to hold Portal's game separate from the action in Half-Life 2. It is still noted that Portal exists within the Half-Life universe. Initially intended to add to the game mechanic of Half-Life 2, they later thought it would be too distracting for the player. The Portal device will only be used in it's own environment.

Apparently a Portal guy stated that it wouldn't be in the HL universe, and later changed his/her mind and restated.

I'm still trying to find the interview that said that.

Why are you being so aggressive?

Anyway that article clearly states that it's still in the Half-Life 2 universe, just that it won't cross over with the Half-Life 2 games:
I'm not being aggressive. I'm just pointing out that it stated on there "Portal is a separate game from Half-Life 2 and does not exist in the Half-Life 2 continuity". Seems pretty conclusive to me. Just wondering why people are still wondering if you will fight Combine etc in portal. Same with the cake thing. Some people STILL seem puzzled by it.

No idea about fighting combine but they do exist in the same universe, and (I think it was Laidlaw) said that things would happen in one game that affects the other, so they're in the same timeframe too. The thing that was being clarified was that you wouldn't have the portal gun in episode 2 or 3, which was wondered for a while.

Really. Because THIS begs to differ. You info: 2006. My info : 2 weeks ago. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Did you read the actual article?

GDC: 2007. Kim Swift, in a conference with fellow game professionals went into detail about Valve's decision to hold Portal's game separate from the action in Half-Life 2. It is still noted that Portal exists within the Half-Life universe. Initially intended to add to the game mechanic of Half-Life 2, they later thought it would be too distracting for the player. The Portal device will only be used in it's own environment. "Doing something new can be a really big risk and adding something innovative to something already exists can often disrupt and create new games," she said.

So the plotlines probably won't intersect, but it is set in the same universe.

"I don't think leaving is in our job description anymore." (on aperturescience.com) is awfully similar to "Government cover-ups are not in my job description!" (from Opposing Force).

I sure hope the main character is Shepard. Here's how the game will go: Starts like half-life.
Subject: Adrian Sheperd
Yadayadayada
Employment: Apperture Science Research Facilities, Arctic Circle
Specialty: Radical Personal Transportation
Experience: Long duration of time with survival based upon his mastery of unstable weaponry.

Hehe... Hehehehehehehehehe(Laughs hysterically)

Shasta, promise not to hate me, but in this article that you have linked to they stated...

With Portal co-existing in a world along with Half-Life, crossovers are a definite possibility.

Like how I used your trick against you? ;)

corporal sheperd said:
I sure hope the main character is Shepard. Here's how the game will go:
The main character of Portal is entirely new, and most likely female. I am getting thoroughly sick of hearing about Shephard.

Let's keep having the same pointless arguments over and over again! Yay! *Walks away muttering about how pointless this thread become...*

Hehe... Hehehehehehehehehe(Laughs hysterically)

Shasta, promise not to hate me, but in this article that you have linked to they stated...

Like how I used your trick against you? ;)
And it still says "does not exist in the Half-Life 2 continuity" as well.

So I'm still right. It's not my fault they put contradictory info on there. "Continuity" I take as them meaning "the HL2 timeline", and if it ain't in the HL2 timeline, it ain't got much to do with HL2. You can go on about "Universe" and "continuity" all you like, but that's how I see it. But I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Dear Mahalis,
I would just like to say that I and the good Mr. Adrian Shepard were both very much offended by your recent post. Yes Valve may have pointed out that Portal's main character will be new and female but me and my fellow underground Shepard uprising resistance which includes but is not limited to Gordon Freeman, Morpheus, Adrian Shepard, Will Ferrel, HeavyWeapons Guy, Chuck Norris, charging zombine, and Franklin Delano Roosevelt all suffer from short term memory loss, which by the way exists, and could not care less about official Valve statements because though Valve is all knowing and wise they sometimes lie (see TF2, Half-Life 2, and release dates). We have been urging Valve for months to make the main character Shepard, (and we hope others will join us) firstly because he is very tired having been in a stasis osprey (with no lavatory) for many years and secondly because he is a benchmark in badassery that can only be captured through Portal. So ye of liitle faith speak not ill of Mr. Shepard or of his chances of making it as the character in Portal because in the Half-Life universe a lot can be done in a small amount of time. In closing, and your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.
Sincerely Corporal Sheperd
P.S. The Cake Is A Lie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back