Aperture Science website details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotland1

Spy
Reaction score
The Aperture Science Website

Stage One

You are presented with a blank terminal prompt. You can do two things: LOGIN/LOGON/USER, which lets you log in, or you can type ?/HELP which will display a useless 'help' menu.
If you choose to log in, you can type any username that is greater than two characters, and use the password PORTAL or PORTALS. Then you'll move on to stage two.

Stage Two

You are presented with a version string and yet another prompt, GlaDOS v1.07 (c) 1982 Aperture Science, Inc.
Here you can enter several things, with different results:

Commands​

THECAKEISALIE This is important! See the They Lied About the Cake section.

DIR/CATALOG/DIRECTORY/LIST/LS/CAT Lists the APPLY command.

IP Reveals your UID(+L) code. See the #UID section for more information.

HELP/LIB Lists the commands in this list.

LOGOUT/BYE/LOGOFF/VALVE Plays a sound and sends you to your homepage if you have one, or SteamPowered.com if you don't.

APPEND/ATTRIB/COPY/FORMAT/ERASE/RENAME Gives you an error about the disk being write protected.

INTERROGATE Gives an error if no parameter is provided, otherwise gives an error about 'illegally initiating diciplinary action'.

TAPEDISK Gives an error about the user not being authorized to transfer system tapes.

APPLY/APPLY.EXE Begins the registration process, before moving to stage three.
Anything else Gives an error about the file not being found.

Oddly enough, even though these commands emulate a DOS prompt, there is an LS command, which is from UNIX. Ironically, the actual webserver (this very server, to be exact) is running Debian.

Next you are presented with a Aperture Science notification. You can type CONTINUE or QUIT. Typing CONTINUE will lead you to another prompt.

Next you will be presented with a blinking UID, which starts as the same as you were given earlier if you typed IP at the prompt. The UID is irrelevant and has no use at this point in time. From here you can type CONTINUE or QUIT with an obvious result. Now you get to proceed to Stage Three, the questions!

Stage Three

Here you are asked a lot of weird questions, some revealing a few facts about what may happen during the game. You also learn a couple things about Aperture Science, Inc.'s weird obsession with cake. After you finish, proceed to Stage Four.

During this stage, a picture of a cake flashes at random intervals which looks like this. There are letters that flash on certain questions that spell THECAKEISALIE

Stage Four

The final stage! Basically they ask you to enter your case sensitive (read: it's in lowercase, you can only type uppercase) UID(+L). The fact that this is impossible is irrelevant, there is no code to continue past this stage. You automatically see the failure message.

They Lied About the Cake

An interesting message sent from someone who apparently 'hacked' into the terminal.

When was the last time you left the building?
Has anybody left the building lately?
I don't know why we're in lockdown. I don't know who's in charge.
I did find out a few things, like these terminals don't have to
tap out characters one at a time. And while we're all working
on twenty year old equipment, somehow they can afford to build
an 'Enrichment Center'. Check out this security feed.
Whatever the hell a 'relaxation vault' is, it
doesn't have any doors.

I don't think going home is part of our job description anymore.

Do not post unless you have useful information regarding the website.

Who created this website? Valve?
Of course. I can't believe you never heard about it.

thecakeisalie.jpg

That looks both like a cake and a factory building.

There is a question at aperturescience.com: "Would you like to use a prism to study light?".
I hope it's a reference to Pink Floyd's album Dark Side of the Moon or the anti-mass spectrometer experiments.

Dsotm.jpg

anti-mass_spectrometer1.jpg

Yeah that's that I was thinking. Do you think that if you answer all the questions in a certain way, something other that the fail message will come up? Like you are the right test subject?

OH, now i think i know the purpose of this website. It is like the events before the portal game takes place right?

Or to make us have something to do besides spread bad rumours about Portal.

Portal is a secret HP Lovecraft Subliminal Message Carrier designed to make us all summon Cthulhu into this world!

There is a whole thread on this in the Ep2 section, Only it is closed.

Interesting site! I like the application process, it reveals some of the details about the arperture science company and is somewhat humorous in parts ("Does lying about your favorite color make you feel bad?"). :D

Not really. Just sort of like 'hey, here's some hints about the game!'

Not a full-on ARG.

the commands dont seem to work for me, help does, but not the others

EDIT: notice on the question where you have to pick a letter, there's no s?

i registered just to ask this, but did anyone else get this message?

Warning: mysql_fetch_object(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /valve/www/www.aperturescience.com/index.php on line 41

it doesn't appear in green, its black like the background.

i figure its just a error message for the actual site, not the site content, but i have no idea what it means.

EDIT: does anyone else see different pictures of cake? One looked like the picture above, one was just a candle (bigger than the candle in the picture above), and the other was a full round cake, not just a slice.

anyone know why the '?' works, but none of the other keys not numbers or letters.
also, i think that the cake page is not the last clue.

I did find out a few things, like these terminals don't have to
tap out characters one at a time.

seems to indicate that there are other commands that can be created using macros... but i can not find any (though i did just try a bunch of random crap).

Hm, do you think you could screen cap these things? I only see the cake pictured.

i could not get the cake pictures as my eyes are quicker than my reflexes.

It seems that the people that actually own the company aren't really human or they won't ask all these stupid questions... But yes, maybe they are looking for the right test subject throught the website it seems...

Am I the only one who thinks that this is some kind of Combine facility. The game is said to take place between HL1 and HL2. We know that the Combine's form of interplanetary travel is still primative but who is to say that hadn't developed short range portal devices like the portal gun? I personally think the player's character is and imprisoned human forced to do these tests and offered a reward in return.

Am I the only one who thinks that this is some kind of Combine facility. The game is said to take place between HL1 and HL2. We know that the Combine's form of interplanetary travel is still primative but who is to say that hadn't developed short range portal devices like the portal gun? I personally think the player's character is and imprisoned human forced to do these tests and offered a reward in return.

Great first post, mate. You seem to be operating under the same opinion as I, and I couldn't have put it better myself. I think I've been here long enough to say this...
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::frog:
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::frog:
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::frog::cheers::cheers::cheers:

prism

There is a question at aperturescience.com: "Would you like to use a prism to study light?".
I hope it's a reference to Pink Floyd's album Dark Side of the Moon or the anti-mass spectrometer experiments.

Dsotm.jpg

anti-mass_spectrometer1.jpg

noo the first scientists used diamonds cut in the shape of prisms to study light because they made all sorts of colours

Because it's specifically pointed out in Black Mesa East that the only form of portal tech the Combine know is their brute-force dimensional tunneling that tears a hole from one universe into another?

Welcome!
Yes, your point of view could be plausible.
Now, let me talk about the G-Man for a while: we know for sure he is a dimensional traveller (don't want to spoil too much, just think about HL1 and HL2 endings). He seems very comfortable with this kind of technology and we know very little about his true nature, motivations and goals. He looks at the events of HL1 and HL2 with an apparent lack of emotional distress and he talks about other subjects related to him. Foe or friend is yet to tell. All this just to say that the G-Man is a strong variable in Half-Life storyline and Aperture Laboratories may as well be related to him.

No Portal details yet. Valve seems to be keeping it under the radar as all the trailers for it are short and don't reveal much.

No Portal details yet. Valve seems to be keeping it under the radar as all the trailers for it are short and don't reveal much.

I like this.

I have a firm belief that the best kind of trailers (whether they are for a movie or game) are the teaser trailers. The short trailers. The trailers where you don't see much, and very little about plot is revealed. Far too often trailers can drag out and just show too much information. Some of my favorite movies and games I knew very little, if anything at all, going into them.

I was sold on Portal the second I saw the first trailer released. I did do a little research to find that Portal takes place in a corner of the HL universe Gordon has yet to see, and that we might see some links in Episode 2. Not to mention that hidden within the 18 levels are clues to what's really going on and possible connections to HL. When I heard about this, I was ecstatic.

I think Portal is going to be mind blowing.

Also, did anyone read/watch the interview with Gabe where he said that he thought the ending to Portal was the strongest one Valve has come up with? Seems odd to me that only a simple puzzle game would have an actual ending...;)

Well said remember. I totally agree with you, although they could (SHOULD!!) release at least some footage os we don't starve to death in this period of wait.

To me it seems that Portal is the most secretive game that Valve has made, and that kinda pisses me off. :angry: but anyways, I like the idea that the story is so mysterious, and has a cryptic feel to it. Just one problem you guys....

What if you disabled the Portals while you were still inside them that split second? Where would you go?

And another question, is this ASPHD in mass production? If not, is it the only one?

hey guys, when u type in thecakeislie than press anykey a different screen pops, maybe the clue for the next step is in there! those numbers probably mean something! help me figure it out!

INTUB-XLG + TACK-THMB seem like word scramble to me. it also says B8 on top (this is a grid and B8 is a location on it, although i highlighted it to check..nothing.)

Sigh.

There's a month-old thread about this. We know.

What's everyone's thoughts on the cutesy holiday clip and audio that's now on aperturescience.com?

Well, we didn't hear about it. There's just a newspost about it and all. Go post there. :p

I've discovered very usefull stuff for further breaking into the site.

1. At the login, type the username CJOHNSON, and the password TIER3. Both the name and the pass will be explaned in 2.

2. When logged in, type NOTE or NOTES. You will get a description of Aperature science, the employee Cave Johnson (you logged in with his account), the begining of portal technology, and some connections with Black Mesa.

3. You can also type INTERROGATE and then a name, and it won't say ERROR 2, but UNKNOWN EMPLOYEE, which means you could interrogate someone if you knew the name. This could be the next step if we could just find the right name. Trying to write the UID(+L) is pointless becouse 1) It's case sensitive and written in small letters, while you can only type capital letters and 2) it always changes so you can't memorise it. It might have something to do with answering the questions right so you are the right man for the job, maybe finding out Chell's characteristics and using them?
That's all I found out so far. Hope it helps.

my first thread talked about interrogate, talking about me trying the numbers that you find of subjects on clipboards throughout the game, and on of them was supposedly shell (dont remember the #s though...) but when i try it, it says, "unknow employee"or something along those lines, so i was wondering if there was a certain # or word you'd put in that wouldacctually do somthing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back