ARMA 3

Looks painful.

107410screenshots201303.jpg

Just finished a 5 hour arma session. Some serious missions, some silly messing around. We spent an hour just walking around a town and commenting on various objects we found, and reading newspapers from the ground. Then we came up with a cool deathmatch mission idea which viper will have ready soon. Wrapped up the session with our favorite scuba mission, which we're getting good at.

This game, this alpha, has given us so much in less than a week's time. And it barely even needs much structure in it to have fun. The power of sandbox games.

I went ahead and got this. I haven't played any of these types of games since Op Flashpoint which I loved dearly. Nice to know the same core ideas are all present or look to be. I'm loving it so far. This is actually the first time I ever used my Mac as a gaming rig and I was very pleasantly surprised. I haven't delved into MP yet. I'm eastern standard time, so come weekends, if anyone needs another body on a server, let me know.

Alpha Lite invites just went up on Steam. I have one set aside for a friend, but the first 2 regulars to comment in my profile can have the others.

I'm sure there'll be plenty more to go around between all the other members here who bought it.

I've got three as well, I'm sure the regular players here can probably pretty much hook up anybody thats interested.

Hey guys let's all play tonight I've made some missions for us to enjoy if you don't attend I'll glare at you from 5000km away very sternly

Hey guys let's all play tonight I've made some missions for us to enjoy if you don't attend I'll glare at you from 5000km away very sternly

Might have some time later tonight (like around 11-12 EST), so I'll try to be on then

I don't know if this was posted here before, but we use Mumble as our voice chat. When you're ready to play, hop on the LanKnights mumble server and let us know (you need permissions to join our channel I think?).

Just come into valvetime steamchat or PM me on steam. I will help with everything.

Just thought I'd share in case some of you'd like to use those (unless you're doing this already); I'm using the following launch options with the game:

-cpuCount=4 - for some reason stating this seems better than letting the game autodetect; I get some FPS increase and it cured the slight input lag I sometimes experienced

-nosplash
-skipIntro -self explanatory, skips those

-world=empty - doesn't render the map in the menu, so it loads faster
-nobenchmark - doesn't detect hardware each time you launch (obviously you'd want to change that if you change hardware/drivers)

-nobenchmark - doesn't detect hardware each time you launch (obviously you'd want to change that if you change hardware/drivers)
This one stopped my game from crashing while starting up. I didn't have the crash initially, but after a couple restarts on the day of release it started happening over and over. -Nobenchmark fixed it.

Fraps must have been laughing too hard to record.

So I found this awesome part of the map. You can walk through them to hide in, totally awesome.

LpmNTnX.jpg

9KkynL8.jpg

The lighthouse seems to have magnetic properties
2013031700004.jpg

Got out unscathed
2013031700008.jpg

My AI squadmates weren't as lucky
2013031700010.jpg

Takeoff was a failure (and somehow I survived the crash)
2013031700011.jpg

For those who were concerned about my inconsistent presence, fear not: development of Codename: FluffyThreeSix is still in full motion. If you're lucky I'll have a version ready by tomorrow evening.

Also if anybody is still so foolish as to not to have an alpha invite, I've still got 2.

Just played Alpha lite. I like it, but my one and only major gripe is the optimization. Why the **** can't they get it right? I know everyone here loves this game to death, but they are REALLY dropping the ball with this. My computer isn't the best ever, but it's definitely not shitty and I have to turn most things off/down to run this smoothly. Even then it lags sometimes.

I hope to **** it's just the alpha, because if this runs like ARMA 2, I probably won't buy it. Which is a shame because the game itself is great. If only it could run well.

I don't think the game runs bad at all. What are you using as a basis to compare to? I think it's better optimized than Arma 2. You have to know which settings hit your performance and which don't.

My computer is about a year old and it runs the game very well with highest settings except for AA, and a view distance of about 3000. The only times I get lag are AI intensive missions (me running as the server) and certain situations in that big town, which I assume they're working on optimizing.

I've got Post Processing to zero, AA to zero (using FFAA, you gave me that tip for ARMA 2), Vsync off, Shadow quality standard, dynamic lighting standard, the other things are set to low/standard. Aside from the "quality" category. Most things are around high (texture quality and the like). Res/render res set to 1366x768 (doesn't seem to have an impact at all in comparison to 1600x900 anyways). Distance is set to 3000 as well I believe (I left that stuff at default settings).

I remember you gave me a whole bunch of tips (that worked great) for ARMA 2, but they just don't seem to be working here. Best I can do is like maybe 25 FPS.

My computer is also about a year old. Quad core, 8GBram, Radeon HD6870. It's not a piece of shit, it should be able to run this decently, atleast.

The view distance might be the problem there. With that video card and those settings you should be running the game well, especially if you were able to run Arma 2 well. Otherwise it might just be something about your computer that the game doesn't like, and you'll have to hope it improves as they optimize the alpha.

I'm on a mix of high and ultra with AA at 4x and it runs smoother than Arma 2 did on medium/high. I think they've done an awesome job at optimizing.

I tried bringing down the draw distance and turning a few things completely off, and others down. It ran at a constant 35FPS on the vehicle mission. DD was at about 2000. I started the heli mission and god damn. It ran at 12 fps, so I brought down the DD to 1000, didn't change a thing. I remember being in cities in ARMA 2 was a giant problem with FPS, looks to have carried over to 3.

Check your temperatures. You should be getting much better performance than that. I have only a slightly better video card, and comparable cpu and I can run with a draw distance of 4500, mostly high settings (AA and Post Processing off) at 2650x1440, AND record with fraps and I still get 35-45 FPS steadily. I've had zero performance issues whatsoever (once I turned Post Processing off). Unless this game is ridiculously RAM intensive, you should be able to get similar performance.

I don't really know what I'm doing here, but from some programs I downloaded I THINK my CPU (and GPU) is running at 44C. I also don't overclock at all.

Here's one after playing Heart of the Swarm for a few hours:

52916842.png

I'll post one for ARMA 3 in a bit.

Make sure you show the temperature for your video card too, further down the list.

I've got Post Processing to zero, AA to zero (using FFAA, you gave me that tip for ARMA 2), Vsync off, Shadow quality standard, dynamic lighting standard, the other things are set to low/standard. Aside from the "quality" category. Most things are around high (texture quality and the like). Res/render res set to 1366x768 (doesn't seem to have an impact at all in comparison to 1600x900 anyways). Distance is set to 3000 as well I believe (I left that stuff at default settings).

I remember you gave me a whole bunch of tips (that worked great) for ARMA 2, but they just don't seem to be working here. Best I can do is like maybe 25 FPS.

My computer is also about a year old. Quad core, 8GBram, Radeon HD6870. It's not a piece of shit, it should be able to run this decently, atleast.

Try adding -cpuCount=4 to your launch options to see if it'll be of any help.

I'll send you one, on one condition.

Be my friend.

On Steam.

Friend invite sent.

Tried some helicopter work today with a joystick... still very difficult for me to hit things but I fly much better compared to mouse and keyboard!

Feel free to PM me if you want an invite.

I messaged random strangers like some crack baby on Christmas. I added you though, and yes I copy/pasted "bhc"

Back