Baftas: Batman Arkham Asylum Wins Best Game Award

Dynasty

Space Core
Reaction score
Few days old, but damn good news for Rocksteady.

Batman: Arkham Asylum has been crowned best game at the Bafta 2010 awards.

The British developed title headed off strong competition from Uncharted 2: Among Thieves that led the nomination field before the ceremony.

The game, which sees the superhero tackle a series of old foes in the asylum setting, also picked up the Bafta award for best gameplay.

Despite not winning the best game award, Uncharted 2 did take four other awards including best action and story.

The Bafta awards is one of the biggest nights in the UK gaming calendar. The winners of 14 of the categories are chosen by industry figures.

One award, sponsored by high-street store Game, is chosen by gamers. As widely expected Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 took that title. The sales that Modern Warfare 2 racked up in 2009 made it the biggest selling game of all time.

Assassin's Creed II was nominated in a total of seven categories but managed to win none of them.

The video game Baftas also saw success for another British-developed title LittleBigPlanet. Originally created by Surrey-based Media Molecule, it won the best award for best handheld game. The portable version was produced by an in-house development team at Sony.

Left 4 Dead 2 took the award for best multiplayer game - the second year that the series has scooped that award.

The British Academy of Film and Television Arts (Bafta) awards recognise "artistic, creative and technical innovation in video games".

Bafta also presented a lifetime achievement Fellowship award to legendary game maker Shigeru Miyamoto, the man behind Super Mario, Donkey Kong, The Legend of Zelda and many more.

In 2009 the fellowship went to Nolan Bushnell, creator of some of the first video games and co-founder of Atari.

Bafta has been giving out awards to the games industry since 1998, although it only became a separate event in 2004.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8577537.stm

And here are the rest of the winners;

Action - Uncharted 2
Gameplay - Batman: Arkham Asylum
Family and Social - Wii Sports Resort
Sports - Fifa 10
Story and Character - Uncharted 2
Strategy - Empire: Total War
Best use of Audio - Uncharted 2
New Talent - Shrunk
Multiplayer - Left 4 Dead 2
Original Score - Uncharted 2
Handheld - LittleBigPlanet
Artistic Achievement - Flower
Best Game - Batman: Arkham Asylum
Use of Online - Fifa 10

Quite glad B:AA won it, I really did love that game. Good to see that sales doesnt mean you win awards.

Flick a finger to Infinity Ward on their islands of cash.

i actually liked Uncharted 2 very much. Batman was awesome, but it was dark and the ending was kinda lame. The ending on Uncharted 2 was a bit more cool. but both games were kickass and I'm glad I played them

Agree completely, Batman was amazing and the combat system is one of the best I have played. Also good to see FIFA 10 taking best sports game, best football game to date.

Its frankly hard to believe that anything at this point could be better than Uncharted 2, but not having played Batman: AA I will have to trust the judges here. If nothing else this has made me much more interested in Amazon's GoldBox deals for today (Batman: AA PS3 for $29.99)...

I dont think it WAS better than Uncharted 2, but considering it was Rocksteady's first release, they completely blew anyone who doubted them out of the water.

Its nice to see the 'underdog' win. Our expectations weren't THAT high pre-release, we probably all thought it was another Spiderman game or something like that, and they completely proved us wrong.

Apart from LBA I don't really see any actual games on that list.

Its frankly hard to believe that anything at this point could be better than Uncharted 2

I dunno - Uncharted 2 was very good, but there's a few things I wasn't happy with and it didn't seem that new. Bigger and better, sure. Batman isn't as polished or as epic, but is the first video game to give us convincing super hero combat. Both very good, and neither as good as Bayonetta :p

Flower can't get enough praise.

I dunno - Uncharted 2 was very good, but there's a few things I wasn't happy with and it didn't seem that new. Bigger and better, sure. Batman isn't as polished or as epic, but is the first video game to give us convincing super hero combat. Both very good, and neither as good as Bayonetta :p
LOL. Good points. Have not tried Bayonetta.

Still, none of these beats Demon's Souls. Let's be serious. :E

It's close, but I give Bayonetta the edge over Demon's Souls too! Each to their own tho - if you don't want devote your life to learning one combat system it isn't the game for you.

It's the BAFTAs. What do you expect for GOTY? They support Brit devs.

ilikedb:aabtwkthx

Also, FIFA 10, use of online? A bit too buggy and flawed imo.

Ive only played Fifa 10 online about 3 or 4 times, got my ass handed to me each time so I stopped, but every time I thought it was a smooth and painless process. Very quick matchmaking too.

Maybe the servers werent busy at the time *shrug*.

FIFA 10 I find have very efficient servers, rarely lag too much. And basically everyone I play online I rape 10x over, there are a few who are a worthy match for me and give me a good game, sometimes even beat me. And well you won't get better by just stopping haha, you just have to keep playing and study other tactics that are being used and become comfortable with certain times. Like I pretty annihilate anyone with Arsenal now, just the other day I was 4-0 down at half time to my mate, brought it back to 4-4 into extra time and ended up beating him 8-4 by the end, all because a knew just who to bring off the bench and at what precise times.

Back