Batman Arkham City

Was I the only one not really "impressed" with AA's story? I mean, Joker had some funny lines, the atmosphere was great, etc. But I didn't really find the plot to be that engaging.

I wish they would take some inspiration from the old TAS, but that's just me.

I'll have to pick up the first game, had almost forgotten it'd gone down in price. These devs have proven a class act.

Seriously, how can you feel vulnerable playing this game? Nine tenths of it is making henchmen shit their pants in the most fun way you can think of. The other tenth is breaking their legs.

Must have been my lack of skill in that game :p. Ah well, I guess in my version of the game one of the thugs hit him too hard with a steel pipe and he "forgot" that he was the mother****ing Batman.

Was I the only one not really "impressed" with AA's story? I mean, Joker had some funny lines, the atmosphere was great, etc. But I didn't really find the plot to be that engaging.

It was alright up until the mutant flowers.....

I wish they would take some inspiration from the old TAS, but that's just me.

No, I'm with you on that. I thought the story was fairly rubbish.

Personally I enjoyed the story. Just wasn't impressed with the ending. Seemed overly cliched.

I suppose I shouldn't expect less from Batman.

Personally I enjoyed the story. Just wasn't impressed with the ending. Seemed overly cliched.

I suppose I shouldn't expect less from Batman.

What are you talking about? The ending to a game driven by a superhuman formula MacGuffin "didn't impress" you? What do you even mean by "less from Batman"? Surely you mean "more", and in which case I'd still be asking what you're talking about.

Sheesh what an idiot. Go away. Go on, shoo.

The central plot was cut-and-paste Joker shenanigans, but I enjoyed the subplots a lot, possibly because you had to uncover them yourself with exploration and investigation. Fun times.

Well, atleast a couple individuals agree with me. Also, if I remember correctly, the lead writer for the original is back for AC, which kinda sucks. Unless he attempts to actually make the story interesting this time around.

It's funny, I've been more engrossed in some of the episodes of the TAS, which I wish they had drawn their inspiration from. A free-roaming Gotham with individual villian plots with an episodic (ala Spider-Man 3 structure, but much more well done) style, and I'd never stop playing it. That's just me, of course.

Lastly, the sub plots weren't bad, per say.

That sounds amazing. This game would seem to be the perfect oppurtunity for it, although I doubt it will be that amazing.

Well, atleast a couple individuals agree with me. Also, if I remember correctly, the lead writer for the original is back for AC, which kinda sucks. Unless he attempts to actually make the story interesting this time around.

Right, but Paul Dini - AC's main story man - was the progenitor of TAS. It's baffling. Although, in retrospect, I suppose not; contrary to Popular Opinion, TAS is Joker at his worst. I've no qualms about Hamill, but Joker was always used to ramp up absolute silliness. I had much more love for the Two-Face and Scarecrow arcs.

It's possible it's down to Dini thinking he's writing for a totally different audience.

A free-roaming Gotham with individual villian plots with an episodic (ala Spider-Man 3 structure, but much more well done) style, and I'd never stop playing it. That's just me, of course.

Yay and nay. I'm an advocate of linearity, but I wouldn't be opposed to a more open plan Gotham City.

THE ISSUE HERE DRUCKLES IS THAT YOU'RE STILL A DUMB DUMB. IN FUTURE EXPRESS YOURSELF EXCLUSIVELY IN A WELL.

Right, but Paul Dini - AC's main story man - was the progenitor of TAS. It's baffling. Although, in retrospect, I suppose not; contrary to Popular Opinion, TAS is Joker at his worst. I've no qualms about Hamill, but Joker was always used to ramp up absolute silliness. I had much more love for the Two-Face and Scarecrow arcs.

It's possible it's down to Dini thinking he's writing for a totally different audience.

Yay and nay. I'm an advocate of linearity, but I wouldn't be opposed to a more open plan Gotham City.

I didn't know Paul Dini worked on the TAS, huh, that is interesting. About the TAS, I suppose I meant replicating the atmosphere more than anything. TAS's Joker was poorly executed as you said, I much prefer the more obscure villains from the show, such as Clay Face, Ra's Al Ghul, etc. Two-Face and Scarecrow were good also.

Also, I was thinking something similiar, sometimes it's not the writer but what he is influenced by.

As far as linearity is concerned, I think it helps keep the story on a tighter reign, and it makes it easier to manage. So, I don't necessarily care if a game is linear,...I suppose I am curious to see a Batman game using both styles in an effective an engaging way.

Nolan's busy doing a great job of taking on the Batman series as a high octane crime drama about justice, morality, vigilantism, good and evil etc etc, so it's the perfect window for the developers to have some fun with your obscure, fantastical villains. I would be very interested in seeing Clay Face and Man Bat, two of my favourites. I don't care for Freeze or Mad Hatter, but I wouldn't object to either of them because I'd sure appreciate a repreive between TDK and Batman 3.

Samon Fish said:
but Joker was always used to ramp up absolute silliness

this is as joker should be. I prefer silly to psychotic. or at least a mix of the two. for this reason, imho, Jack nicholson is the best joker on film

I'm starting to like Batman more as camp than as a serious character. (that's just too silly a concept to dwell too long on)

But Stern, Batman is real. Do not ever try and tell me otherwise. You will be promptly told to stick it.

if so he's in need of therapy. I mean masquerading aroind town in his underwear and a mask. the man has issues. not too worry; nothing that psychoanalysis and a steady diet of anti-psychotic drugs wont fix

"tell me herr Batman, how do you feel about your mother?"

Isn't that the whole idea behind Batman?

"THEY'RE DEAD! THEY'RE BOTH ****ING DEAD, ALRIGHT!"

He may have issues but he's making the city a safer place, one criminal at a time!

Does anyone have any super-high-definition images of the picture of Catwoman leaning over Batman? I'd love that as a wallpaper/poster.

if so he's in need of therapy. I mean masquerading aroind town in his underwear and a mask. the man has issues. not too worry; nothing that psychoanalysis and a steady diet of anti-psychotic drugs wont fix

"tell me herr Batman, how do you feel about your mother?"

Sounds like it's coming straight the mouth of Bruce Wayne.

I'll just pray we don't have to endure the pain of encountering her very often.

Why da hayl would you make Harley Quinn look like that? That's not Harley Quinn.

I honestly can't speak as to how authentic she is to any iteration of Harley Quinn, but there's no arguing that she's shitty in the way she's portrayed in these games. "This game is real dark, so naturally all female characters will be showing twice as much skin and dress in dirty looking leather."

Other than the fact that she's female, she doesn't seem to stand out much from the Joker's regular thugs.

"Heads or tails, KittyKat?"

Graphics look a little "meh". Apart from that everything seems alright.

I think it's more some ugly aspect of the trailer than the game really. The graphics could be exactly the same as AA and I wouldn't complain. Looks fun. The opening quote might've gotten my hopes up, but this'll probably be no more mature than the original.

looks awesome tho i didnt like the choice of song

also didnt like the voice/lines for two face and catwoman too much tbh =/

Before you buy it from GMG, make sure to note that the release date for the PC version is November 8th, if you want to be playing it this month you'll have to get the PS3 or 360 version.

[Admin triple post edit]

Garg - PC version releases on November 8th and uses GFWL?

Might go for one of the console versions instead then.

getting this on the xbox for my bday I can't wait :D the reviews all seem high for this game thus far

ya sucks that it's been delayed for PC but I was very happy with how AA ran and play on my comp so I'm fine with waiting a bit

I seriously cannot wait for this game. I saw a bit of it at Comic:CON: NYC which was mainly people flying around.

http://www.geforce.com/News/articles/exclusive-physx-in-batman-arkham-city-a-first-look

I think waiting for the PC version will be worth the wait. Their use of PhsyX in Asylum was very well utilized rather than a gimmick. Also you can get Asylum and the Lego Batman game for $20! However if you have Asylum on Steam, you get the City version for $40!!! So that is $60 for 3 games. :thumbs: *Jeez you even get Tessellation in DX11 cards with the PC version.

Back