Battlefield 3

Heh, I like how being a shameless fanboy is a-ok around here as long as it's for the right games. Seriously, in what way was my last post provocative that you had to post such a reactionary reply? Was it the part where I stated facts in order to correct a misconception? I know, it's so annoying when people do that.

My reply wasn't aimed at your comment specifically, but at the tone of of the comments on reddit, RPS, and other gaming outlets. People act as if this weapon pack hails the end of gaming. In my humble opinion people are severely overreacting.

On the contrary, I had to close the RPS article because of the sheer, frustrating amount of apologetic bullshit. Seriously, it's like reading Kotaku over there. "If you don't like their <website/game/product> then you should <get out/not buy it/shut up>!" Gee, thanks for your input, you horrid, pointless c*nt. Really though, what is the mentality behind posts like that? Because whenever I read them all I'm seeing is "I'M SORRY I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER MY MASSIVE FANBONER."

Anyway, these bros got my back.

KRFvS.png

coCao.png

Edit: Heh, not to mention...

oxtiP.png

Edit: In all fairness it might not be any better than the other LMGs, but why should that matter? Assuming they balance their guns fairly well, maybe I'd just like to use it out of preference? It's not simply about an unfair advantage to me, it's about being deprived of a choice when their multiplayer load-out is meant to be all about choice and customization.

That said, the exclusive weapon mod and ammo seem like they could mess with the game balance a little, and that's not cool.

I wonder what number of those bad idea votes have cancelled pre-orders.

Probably not a whole lot. People will happily tick a box or sign a petition, but they're usually reluctant to vote with their wallets.

I mean, remember this? :v

Ae0Ug.jpg

Anyone know if they are coming out with a limited edition of the game? I'm not talking about the normal priced version but something that would cost more. This is one of the few games I wouldn't mind buying extras.

Official Q&A.

Q: Is the Physical Warfare Pack available in all regions, or just in the UK?
A: It will be available worldwide at select retailers. It was first announced in the UK. Exact details for other countries and retailers will be announced at a later date.

Q: Will Physical Warfare Pack imbalance the game?
A: The three exclusive items in the Physical Warfare Pack were specifically chosen not to be overpowered or imbalance or break the game in any way.

Q: Why do I want the Physical Warfare Pack?
A: Owning these items will give you a more varied arsenal, but it will not give you a significant advantage on the battlefield.

Q: Is the Back to Karkand expansion pack exclusive to pre-orders?
A: No. You can also buy it separately if you do not pre-order Battlefield 3. Back to Karkand will be available the exact same date after the launch of Battlefield 3 no matter if you pre-ordered or buy it separately.

Q: When will the Back to Karkand expansion pack be released?
A: We have not yet announced the Back to Karkand expansion pack release date.

Q: How much does the Back to Karkand Expansion pack cost?
A: We have not yet announced a price. However, it will be included in the Limited Edition at no extra charge.

Q: Do I have to choose between Back to Karkand and the Physical Warfare Pack as my pre-order bonus?
A: No. There is no way you can pre-order Battlefield 3: Limited Edition and not end up with the Back to Karkand expansion pack at no extra charge. On top of this, select retailers all over the world will carry the Physical Warfare Pack. Exact details for other countries and retailers will be announced at a later date.

Q: Why do you offer pre-order bonus items?
A: Because we believe in rewarding our core fanbase with special offers -- such as giving them the Back to Karkand expansion pack at no extra charge.

Source

I'm glad they finally made it clear that Back to Karkand is NOT Day One DLC. I really have no issue with that.

The Physical Warfare thing is really stupid though, and I think they'll probably eventually be forced to back down. The hivemind is so angry at this point that there doesn't seem like any other solution short of L4D2-level outrage.

**** buying DLC in general.

Just release the god damn maps for free.

I'm just going to copy-paste my Reddit comment because I'm lazy as **** and tired of rephrasing the same argument 20 times over:

--------
A: The three exclusive items in the Physical Warfare Pack were specifically chosen not to be overpowered or imbalance or break the game in any way.
A: Owning these items will give you a more varied arsenal, but it will not give you a significant advantage on the battlefield.
So basically, according to this, the following would also be "balanced" in Bad Company 2:

• Removing the 4x scope from all-class weapons unless you preordered
  • Only allowing players who previously owned Battlefield 2 to use the "double explosive ammo" class mod as an Engineer
  • Not allowing you to repair helicopters if you bought BC2 after 2010
  • MP-443 Grach is only available to players in the Eastern and Mountain timezones
After all, these actions would just provide certain players with a more varied arsenal. It's not like it imbalances the game or anything.
**** you, EA. I'm very close to not purchasing this game at all.

--------

That said, /facepalm to these illiterate idiots who are confusing Physical Warfare with Back To Karkand.

Stig, that argument is flawed because it's 3 additional items, not weapons or gameplay mechanics that were already part of the core game. Yes, yes, devil's advocate and all, but the entire crux of your point depends on whether indeed these additions are gamelpay strong or not. Who knows, maybe the flash suppressor is completely ****ing useless?

Good god, I'm literally defending the satan of the gaming industry here.

Stig, that argument is flawed because it's 3 additional items, not weapons or gameplay mechanics that were already part of the core game. Yes, yes, devil's advocate and all, but the entire crux of your point depends on whether indeed these additions are gamelpay strong or not. Who knows, maybe the flash suppressor is completely ****ing useless?

Why add such useless/similar to other items to a game? Other than the clearly visual-only early hats in TF2.

They're either being greedy with exclusive ingame advantages or adding useless shit to their game, I wouldn't like either. (Not that i was planning on getting this game at full price)

Why add such useless/similar to other items to a game?
T.F.2. Unlockable. Weapons. Half of them are situational, the other half useless. Same argument.

Yes, they're being greedy by rewarding people for buying the game pre-reviews when it's at its most expensive, so they make the most money. That's what's wrong here. Gameplay advantages? Totally depends; not guaranteed to be a legit issue.

T.F.2. Unlockable. Weapons. Half of them are situational, the other half useless. Same argument.
That's not a symmetric comparison, as a) none of those items are pre-order bonuses, b) all gameplay-affecting items are eventually available to all players, and c) you whitewashed legitimate side- or upgrades.

the entire crux of your point depends on whether indeed these additions are gamelpay strong or not. Who knows, maybe the flash suppressor is completely ****ing useless?
Maybe it's not. What is this, an appeal to the unknown? Appeal to a specific potential outcome? Whatever the academic term, it's illogical. Nobody knows if it's balanced, so all we can do is infer things from a doublespeak-worded press release. The best-case interpretation is "it still has a chance of being balanced in the end", and the worst-case is "it's not balanced". That's not a good sign.

well, if it's not balanced, DICE will fix it. they got on top of the over-powered M60 pretty well i seem to recall, and EA won't care if the people who pre-ordered the items will cry out saying ''these weapons are not as powerful any more, i want my money back'' when really, they weren't advertised, or being sold as, the ''powerful weapons pack'', just new weapons that only they who pre-order can have. no where does it say that buying these items will give you an edge, so if they have to be toned down, i see no reason for dice not to.

that isn't to say i agree with what they are doing here, by the way. it's shitty whatever they do, tweak it later or not.

That's not a symmetric comparison, as a) none of those items are pre-order bonuses, b) all gameplay-affecting items are eventually available to all players, and c) you whitewashed legitimate side- or upgrades.
Uh, so? They're still situational and gimmicky items that were added to get people interested in buying the game.

Nobody knows if it's balanced
Exactly. Yet your argument assumes it's not. EA says they don't affect gameplay. You say they're lying, I say there's no way to know. I provide example of another company that added a ton of items ex-post-facto that were next-to-useless. You just posit that they're likely gameplay-changing because they cost money. Because, you know, game companies have never taken advantage of their userbase to get a quick buck on useless in-game shit.

You're arguing that this is wrong on the basis that it changes gameplay without a shred of proof that it does. I'm arguing it's wrong because it shows DICE/EA's crass attitude in treating us like sheep and employing bait-and-switch tactics to get as much money as possible day 1. You know where that leads.

This thread's turn from full-on DICE boner to EA butthurt was faster than a coin flip. What happened to the hivemind love in the face of SP shittery? It's just the godawful Chinese LMG. Fickle, fickle.

Uh, so? They're still situational and gimmicky items that were added to get people interested in buying the game.
Right, but that's not the specific reason why people are up in arms against the BF3 preorder bonuses. It's no longer intellectually valid to continue with the comparison.

EA says they don't affect gameplay. You say they're lying, I say there's no way to know.

EA says a lot of things. I don't give a shit what they say, I want to see what they do. What they're doing is limiting equipment to certain players on a financial basis.

I provide example of another company that added a ton of items ex-post-facto that were next-to-useless. You just posit that they're likely gameplay-changing because they cost money. Because, you know, game companies have never taken advantage of their userbase to get a quick buck on useless in-game shit.
a) "ex-post-facto" - you use this to at once refer to both "post-release content" and "pre-release preorder bonus". Pick one, or retract your point.
b) an Appeal to Tradition is not intellectually valid.
c) I did not posit that they change gameplay "because they cost money". That's beyond my capacity for synthesizing stupidity.

You're arguing that this is wrong on the basis that it changes gameplay without a shred of proof that it does. I'm arguing it's wrong because it shows DICE/EA's crass attitude in treating us like sheep and employing bait-and-switch tactics to get as much money as possible day 1. You know where that leads.
Okay, look. There's a difference between "no evidence" and "inferred evidence". I know you know this. What EA's multiple press releases over this Physical Warfare pack have provided is weak evidence that can be inferred. It is not "no evidence". It is not conclusive evidence either, but it's pretty much just you who seems to be tacking "THIS IS THE OBJECTIVE TRUTH:" to the beginning of my posts. Everything I have written is contingent upon the literal interpretation of the Physical Warfare information releases, and I believe there's no reason that any of my posts should have been interpreted any other way. I recall using the phrase "according to this", more than once, which implies that I think the given information is literally true. Anywho I'll digress here and point out that I'm on your side as far as the second sentence goes.

What the **** do I care? It's not going to cost me anything, and don't even act like people aren't going to rank up so quickly they'll unlock weapons that' will outmatch any preorder bonus in a day.

Nnonoononono Stig, you're not going to read my points wrong to create strawmen.

Right, but that's not the specific reason why people are up in arms against the BF3 preorder bonuses. It's no longer intellectually valid to continue with the comparison.
Because I was totally comparing the distribution method and not gameplay significance of the content.

EA says a lot of things. I don't give a shit what they say, I want to see what they do. What they're doing is limiting equipment to certain players on a financial basis.
Which they, and other companies, have done, to varying degrees of unfairness for the people who didn't buy the DLC.

a) "ex-post-facto" - you use this to at once refer to both "post-release content" and "pre-release preorder bonus". Pick one, or retract your point.
OK Miss Susan, I'll just--no, wait. It's ****ing relevant because they're both optional content that was generated FOR THE SPECIFIC AIM OF INCREASING SALES. In fact, it's extremely relevant because Valve proved that you could add a million weapons and for the most part not change the gameplay.

b) an Appeal to Tradition is not intellectually valid.
Not an appeal to tradition. For a teacher, Miss Susan, you don't seem to know your logical fallacies. According to you, 'looking to the past for possible outcomes based on similar circumstances to our current one' = appeal to tradition. Better tell every historian in the world they're just plain wrong.

c) I did not posit that they change gameplay "because they cost money". That's beyond my capacity for synthesizing stupidity.
Given. I just couldn't figure out any other reason you'd be so convinced that it's gameplay changing.

So basically, according to this, the following would also be "balanced" in Bad Company 2:

• Removing the 4x scope from all-class weapons unless you preordered
  • Only allowing players who previously owned Battlefield 2 to use the "double explosive ammo" class mod as an Engineer
  • Not allowing you to repair helicopters if you bought BC2 after 2010
  • MP-443 Grach is only available to players in the Eastern and Mountain timezones
After all, these actions would just provide certain players with a more varied arsenal. It's not like it imbalances the game or anything.
"I have no idea whether these 3 items in the DLC will change balance or not (in fact, the press release, if taken literally, says they won't), but based on nothing I'll compare it to removing core components to a class's functionality."

I was really reaching there to try and figure out how you went from A to B. Only thing I could figure is you assumed cost meant gameplay significance.

Okay, look. There's a difference between "no evidence" and "inferred evidence".
OK? And? I made a judgement based on what other money-grubbing companies have done in the past. In fact, BC2 had a completely aesthetic DLC that had no effect on gameplay, just like Blizzard. OF COURSE THAT MEANS I AM TOTALLY IMPLYING THAT THIS CASE IS 100% EXACTLY IDENTICALLY THE SAME THING AND THERE'S NO ROOM FOR SPECULATIVE DEVIATION.

FFS, I'm just pointing out that not all DLC's have been gameplay-breaking and that the primary aim of making them is a cash grab. You're too busy with the Anusol to step back and say 'well, this is ****ing stupid. I sure hope it doesn't affect gameplay as they claim.' Instead you're parading ("same argument 20 times over") your post that equates ANY kind of weapon DLC with BREAKING A PLAYER CLASS. Your post betrays fanboy rage. Hence my disappointment.

Ho boy are u mad.

I'm wrong because
- DLC is designed to make money
- other companies do it
- Business Is Good
- it might still be balanced, despite historical, mercantile, and current evidence towards the contrary

Got it.

Good sir, you seem to mistake passion for anger. Halter thy horses.

Christ, this is dumb. Look, here's what the **** is wrong with this:

Having a more "varied arsenal" is a balance issue. Disregarding the T-88, those weapon mods are both entirely situational. Therefore, doesn't it seem more honest to consider their effect on balance in the situations they're designed for? If you can't imagine a single useful application for a weapon mod that makes snipers harder to spot, or allows people to shoot through walls and people with an automatic shotgun, I don't know what to tell you. Whether or not they effect the overall balance of the game is a non-issue, their very existence and exclusivity is the problem, and it will have real in-game implications. If you say it won't, you're just making excuses.

Also, did no one else spot the key word in that second answer? Let's examine it again: "it will not give you a significant advantage." Significant. Note that they didn't choose to say "will not give you an advantage." Whoops, that's not actually a proper reassurance, EA! Try again!

So they tried to justify their farce?

welp this better get some amazing reviews or I'm out

Too bad you won't be able to wait for those reviews unless you want to miss out on some content and pay extra for others! ^_^

I can't believe you guys (and other peoples on the internet, from seeing quotes) are more angry about the potential balance hit than the downward spiral this marketing is suggesting.

Maybe I should make my stance clearer: I'm not in the least bit incensed by the fact that there's gameplay DLC. You had to expect this, given DICE's history with expansion-exclusive content. These days DLC has supplanted expansion packs, so you had to know DLC with gameplay content was coming. Plus, this is EA's CoD, so it's their time to money-grub. What I was hoping was that they wouldn't resort to the egregious methods set as precedents in the past few years: rapid DLC cycles, stupid or gimmicky shit to sell, bare minimal content/gameplay enhancements for high cost, and day-one lubeless wallet rape tactics to lure idiots in.

I don't mind DLC if it's like Armored Fury or Special Forces. I had the oh-so-naive hope (separate from my expectations of the gameplay) that BF3 would be a single game that they would invest time and longevity on by slowly building on the core gameplay with patches and maybe an expansion pack every 2 years. That's the DICE I've come to know. But it's proving not to be. It's got shitty, pointless, cash-grab DLC on day one. GREAT precedent. Down this path lies $20 map packs, a zombie gamemode DLC, and Battlefield 3: Frontlines, which should have been DLC, but gosh darnit let's just charge $60 and make another box.

But instead you're pretending like the bigger issue is release balance. HUDUR I sure want wall penetration on a shotgun because I'll need to hit Master Sargeant Shooter Person before anyone else guhuah hey guys check out my domination vid. It's Battlefield. Of course it won't be balanced on release day.

I can't believe you guys (and other peoples on the internet, from seeing quotes) are more angry about the potential balance hit than the downward spiral this marketing is suggesting.

I'm not exactly happy about that, either. If I hadn't mentioned it already it's because I figured it was pretty self-evident. I mean, is there any legitimate excuse for this sort of business practice? I haven't seen anyone arguing in favour of it, rather all that's been offered are shallow objections like "you're overreacting." **** you, I'll react however the all-singing all-dancing **** I want.

But instead you're pretending like the bigger issue is release balance. HUDUR I sure want wall penetration on a shotgun because I'll need to hit Master Sargeant Shooter Person before anyone else guhuah hey guys check out my domination vid. It's Battlefield. Of course it won't be balanced on release day.

That's not the only issue. Being denied content on the basis of where or when I shop is my bigger complaint, and I already laid this out on the last page. Seriously, imagine any online shooter you've ever loved. Now imagine a given weapon or perk or ammo type was only available to people who pre-ordered. Imagine it was something you really enjoyed using, not because it was overpowered or gave you any kind of advantage, but because you liked the way it handled or you thought it was fun, or you just preferred it for some reason. Seriously, ask yourself: when should this shit ever be acceptable in an online shooter?

I don't honestly have much to contribute, since I basically agree that both the balance is bad and what it suggests for marketing is utter tripe. I mean for christ sake, imagine if Valve made you pay for more weapons in Counter Strike. Commando 550 for only $5!

Flechette ammo and what looks to be a useless flash suppressor in addition to one extra generic LMG (when doubtlessly there will be at least five if not more to choose from / unlock... I'm inclined to think more just because this game is "bigger" than BC2) don't sound like core gameplay mechanics to me. It sounds like EA's marketing team talked to the lead designer and asked him for exclusive preorder content and he decided to toss them a few attachments they had already rejected as unimportant with regards to the gameplay and wouldn't include otherwise. That's just my opinion though.

I still think this is a monumentally stupid move on everybody involved's part just because it's marketing suicide. Anybody with half a brain could tell that the PC gaming audience they've been so careful to make a big point out of respecting and catering to so far in the game's development would lose its ****ing mind over something like this. Hopefully EA will back down.

Mostly the reason I'm not up in arms about this is because I refuse to be associated with the hordes of plebian morons on reddit and elsewhere who are doing the internet equivalent of running around in all black breaking shop windows and flipping over cars while shouting anarchist slogans. The entire organization of r/gaming's "campaign" is ****ing retarded - it's directed at Back to Karkand for being day one DLC (which it isn't) and barely mentions Physical Warfare. If gamers were actually informed it'd be less infuriating but seeing all of the misdirected self-righteous prattle just grinds my damn gears. I also have seen ZERO firm evidence of the widespread belief that DICE is planning on having OTHER exclusive bonus content packs for preordering in other regions / retailers, which everyone seems to be responding to but DOES NOT ACTUALLY EXIST. They aren't carving the game into five mutually exclusive bonus packs, folks.

Mostly the reason I'm not up in arms about this is because I refuse to be associated with the hordes of plebian morons on reddit and elsewhere who are doing the internet equivalent of running around in all black breaking shop windows and flipping over cars while shouting anarchist slogans.

Hear hear. I second this statement.

Maybe they're just uploading it to Facebook?

And with regards to the PWP. I don't think the items should be locked from people who don't buy from that store. The items can be advantageous. For example being able to shoot through a wall with a shotgun or not. Obviously the guy who can't is at a disadvantage. And if one sniper can suppress his muzzle flash and another can't, then he'd be at some kind of disadvantage too wouldn't he.

I know they're not big disadvantages and really they're just to accommodate different play styles. But I would like to have those options open to me. Even if they release them to everyone else a few weeks/months later.

I know I could buy it from that store, but what if there are other PW packs with different items? (I know there might not be any different packs... but just saying) and most other stores will be cheaper than the ones offering this promotion. I'd just like to have equal opportunities. Especially when it comes to multiplayer.

I'm honestly ok with the BF3 DLC because the free DLC I got with BF3 and BC2: Vietnam was quality. However if you want to get mad, then look at L4D 2. Game was fun but honestly, it should have been DLC.

He should try playing Section 8. There are lots of new FPS games that're faced paced and fun, they just don't get the coverage they really deserve because they're not Call of Duty or Battlefield and don't have millions of dollars to funnel into advertising.

I know they're not big disadvantages and really they're just to accommodate different play styles. But I would like to have those options open to me. Even if they release them to everyone else a few weeks/months later.

Yes, exactly.

Honestly, I'd be happy enough if they were just reintroduced as high level unlocks, and people who shopped at Game or whatever just got them day 1, like they're already doing with the shotgun. It's still a bit shit, but a temporary advantage for "customer loyalty" (translation: EA sucking up to retailers to keep them happy about digital sales) is much more acceptable than a permanent one. Even if it's not really an advantage... whatever, you know what I mean by now.

Still not mega happy about the Karkand pack, but being able to shop at my chosen retailer means I'll likely be able to offset the cost of picking that up later on, so it doesn't bug me quite as much. However, if they're going to try and rope me into buying from some horrible c***s like EB, then um... no Dice. HEH.

Back