Battlefield 3

Not sure I'll enjoy that map, the underground bits anyway. I blame Fallout 3 making me detest traversing metro systems.

It's only natural. Console hardware is becoming pretty outdated. As BF3 is a PC focused title (I think?) it wouldn't make sense to scale back everything so the consoles can keep up.

It would be nice if there was an option to turn off the cap if wanted (for multi). The Bioshock titles on consoles supported this.

*sigh*

Im sorry but any console owner should know that 720p and jagged edges is the norm these days for 360 and PS3 games. It's £250 worth of 2006 tech.

PC will always look better.

Even if they made it look slightly better than BC2 for consoles, it will still look amazing. Which it does.

I truly cant wait for this, and Im glad its out before CoD. Looks like EA are pulling another MoH in release dates.

Oh look, end of pointless discussion.

If he was playing BF1942 instead, I'd be more impressed.

Man, BF games are for old people? LAME, I can't be seen playing old people games.

article up at battlefieldo, taken from the project reality forums: http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f11...ield-3-v2-pc-console-game-34.html#post1614561

quite a good read, if nothing too new. this, however, got my attention.

When being revived you start prone, and you're blurry and unarmed for a second or two. It would also appear that you don't auto-heal to full health, more like 80-90% or something.

god this makes me so happy! i hate hate HATE it in bad company 2 when medics often unintentionally (or perhaps to some intentionally) use people they are reviving as human shields. i cannot be the only one who has been gunning a medic down only for him to revive someone in front of him and for my shots to then bounce harmlessly off the guy being revived because of the silly 1-2 seconds of invincibility he is granted upon revival, and then the medic kills me from behind him. frustrates me to no end.

At the closed presentation we were on before the play test the devs there got asked if BF3 would have a commo-rose a la BF2 or a context sensitive key a la BC2(which means one key, and depending on what you're looking at/doing it gives a different message). He said the commo-rose is awesome, but was prone to causing spam in BF2

Heh. I have no idea what he's talking about.

They shouldn't have removed the commo-rose and put restrictions on it instead. For example, you can only shout something out every 5 seconds and if you say the same thing twice in a row, you have to wait 10 seconds before you can say it again.

And yes, the "enemy boat spotted" spam was a bit silly, but didn't encounter it that often so it rarely annoyed me. It was more annoying to listen to overzealous commanders spotting individual soldiers, especially if they were on the other side of the map.

Enemy infantry spotted!
Enemy infantry spotted!
Enemy infantry spotted!

Shut the **** up, I can't hear my surroundings! THAT should've been taken care of.

But speaking of annoying spam in video games, nothing in BF2 was more annoying than all those Left 4 Dead players spamming characters sounds, such as laughter, and those additional sounds via console commands (I guess), such as "death scream" etc.

I'd like to see the commo-rose in the game completely, but only have it notify and spot for people in your squad.

ENEMY BOAT SPOTTED
ENEMY BOAT SPOTTED
ENEMY BOAT SPOTTED
ENEMY BOAT SPOTTED
new squad, locked squad, silence

I'd like to see the commo-rose in the game completely, but only have it notify and spot for people in your squad.

ENEMY BOAT SPOTTED
ENEMY BOAT SPOTTED
ENEMY BOAT SPOTTED
ENEMY BOAT SPOTTED
new squad, locked squad, silence

You could silence (or adjust the volume) of all commo-rose voices in Battlefield 2142. I don't see why this couldn't happen in Battlefield 3.

..... How did I not know that!

[edit] I thought you said BF2 at first, but I never played 2142 so that makes sense.

I don't know why people like the command rose so much in the first place. IMO it's clunky and inaccurate compared to a menu in say Counterstrike where you just hit z and immediately hit a number 1-9 to use a specific voice command. I don't want to use my mouse, I guarantee you that I can hit "Affirmative" (c + 1) in CS much faster and with greater accuracy then I could hold down Q and move my mouse to a specific 45 degrees of a circle.

IMO the context-sensitive spot/command button in BC2 does perfectly fine... if I changed anything I would only add another menu (Z or C or X or something) with numerical voice commands for miscellaneous purposes. Or I would just make the "need ammo" "need medic" "attack objective X" commands appear on screen as well as with sound.

I don't know why people like the command rose so much in the first place. IMO it's clunky and inaccurate compared to a menu in say Counterstrike where you just hit z and immediately hit a number 1-9 to use a specific voice command. I don't want to use my mouse, I guarantee you that I can hit "Affirmative" (c + 1) in CS much faster and with greater accuracy then I could hold down Q and move my mouse to a specific 45 degrees of a circle.

IMO the context-sensitive spot/command button in BC2 does perfectly fine... if I changed anything I would only add another menu (Z or C or X or something) with numerical voice commands for miscellaneous purposes. Or I would just make the "need ammo" "need medic" "attack objective X" commands appear on screen as well as with sound.

I'm not keeping up with any of this but I just wish that people would have microphones and voice chat wasn't a casting call for the role of Biggest Asshole. The only game that I've played with really useful and well used voice chat was L4D and possibly World in Conflict. Most of the time it's either shitty, never used, or abused to annoy people.

I also agree however that the command rose is too slow to really be effective in an FPS. The BC2 system is kind of ignored as much as it can be though.

You know the best thing about Battlefield 3?

...no, not everything about it.

The protagonist has the same last name as me - Blackburn :3

The first Battleblog has been posted. It is mostly PR blurb, but it explains the different multiplayer modes pretty well. Oh and it features the map of Operation Metro. Yes, they do like milking their material ....

Not too sure about area 4. The attackers spawn is pretty much on top of the M-comm stations. I predict a spam fest.

Or the first area in Vantage Point in BC2:V.

So I'm not too happy about the lack of a commander role in the game. It was really nice to have an "eye in the sky" on your team in BF2, but I do admit that most people were too nubbish to take on the commander's duties.

there hasn't been much negativity from the last area of operation metro from the e3 players, or at least i haven't read any. it might work out pretty smoothly.

i don't think i read anything about what it is the objectives are either. so it's still arming mcom boxes, then? in bad company 2 i wish they had bit of a narrative aesthetic to them, such as arming two ground-to-air missiles in one base, then arming charges on a vehicle fuel depot and an ammo dump in another base. think the boxes are a bit dull myself. nothing gameplay breaking or changing, just something to give the mission some drive.

Maybe Operation Metro is the only map to specifically feature a bunch of M-Coms?

there hasn't been much negativity from the last area of operation metro from the e3 players,

As if the e3 players would know what the hell they were doing. Did you see that one guy in the videos above? It looked like he'd never played a shooter before.

Yeah the one guy who couldn't figure out how to jump over the wall and later walks literally right into like 3 bad guys and just stares at them for a few seconds before getting blown away was pretty terrible. When it was livestreaming the chat room was going apeshit over it.

Some of the players did get to the last set of MCOMs though. If you watch the Dont Revive Me Bro podcast posted earlier in the thread about their BF3 hands on E3 impressions they are some actual hardcore PC FPS gamers. The one guy apparently was kicking ass the whole time and armed like every MCOM on the map and had a great KDR.

I'm sure you're right though, from what I saw the majority of the people who got to play it were either scrubs or console gamers who didn't really know what they were doing. You could tell the guys who do play PC FPS because they were just mopping up in comparison.

I'm not seeing the Eiffel Tower on this map. Wanted to destroy that.

I'm not seeing the Eiffel Tower on this map. Wanted to destroy that.

zJipD.jpg

I perfer the BF2 version because BC2 version was very hit or miss at times. It was 'point and press' if you wanted a medic/ammo/a pick-up, it had a very limited range, and for some reason couldn't spot a vehicle while moving. There was also no way to request back up, in my opinion - the commo rose is more tactical, hell - even BF1942's system is better than BC2's 'spotted' button.

er, in BC2 you could spot a vehicle whilst it was moving. if anything, i disagree with all your points - the requesting ammo/medic was really underlooked/underwhelming, whilst spotting enemies and vehicles was really well done. it displayed troop and armour movement for up to 5/10 seconds on the mini-map when spotted, whereas asking someone for ammo only displayed a glitchy flashing icon above your own head which required the other solider to actually look at you to understand. that or they pay attention to an american soldier shouting ''hey man i need some ammo!'' through your speakers, which is a bit hit and miss, understandably.

For me it did, granted the game was just full of bugs and DICE stopped supporting BC2 and went towards BF3. But alas, I'm going to miss spotting enemy boats in Karkand. D:

As far as Commo rose, DICE has said that they plan to put it in some form (but in way that people don't spam commands).

i think the commo rose was made redundant in BC2 - instead of having to manually select ''vehicle spotted'', you would instead just say and highlight on the map that you saw a vehicle via automation. i think it works fine, and i think that people wanting a como-rose are too far into wanting ''authentic'' battlefield 2 items when instead they can't just accept that it was scrapped for a far more durable system in BC2. why have to look at and select something when just looking at them and pressing a button does virtually the same thing?

BC2 was a console port and was made for consoles, where past true Battlefield has some sort of commands and were PC exclusive. DICE has said this is a true Battlefield 2 sequel (they even stated that the Bad Company series is the 'fisher price' of the Battlefield series), but things like the simplified spotting system are part of BC2.

I think having heath regeneration, vehicle customization and simplified 'spotting' system feels more akin to a 'BC3' game than a BF3 game.

Back