Battlefield 3

And the beta just killed my second pair of RAM modules (last night) :D

Back to 2 gigs for me.

even with low setting Caspian Boarder is killing my 560ti....hopefully the final release will be a bit more optimized.

Operation Firestorm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDIwNcAF7s4&feature=feedu

This is supposed to be one of the bigger maps yet the flags are all clustered together. DICE is really doing their best to alienate fans of the original games.

which is funny, really, because the general consensus of fans is that caspian border has put everyones minds at rest, and if operation firestorm is even bigger than i can't see how it's a problem. it's very difficult to judge from a ten minute youtube video, but i suppose you aren't getting the game anymore, so you'll never know for sure...

I find it odd that Caspian is beating down on so many of your systems. It runs better than Metro does on mine.

anyone else getting this where a strange whit line shoots across the screen starting at your crosshairs?
I think its a lens flare bug but Im not sure

I find it odd that Caspian is beating down on so many of your systems. It runs better than Metro does on mine.
That makes no sense... Caspian taxes my system noticeably more than Metro. My gf's computer (my old computer, with a dualcore AMD and a GTX260) can run Metro on Low settings with a steady 30 fps but it just buckles under Caspian, gets 15-20 FPS and the same audio problems Bad Hat talked about.

PhenomII 955 / 2GB RAM / GTX 460 1GB / 1080p / High+4xAA

With the same settings, I get a min-avg-max of around 25-35-45 on Caspian and 25-45-75 on Metro. But if we're only counting outdoor areas, my Metro performance is closer to 25-30-40. I think it's just a result of Metro's first stage fields having more/more-dense foliage per frame than Caspian's Forest capture point.

That makes no sense... Caspian taxes my system noticeably more than Metro. My gf's computer (my old computer, with a dualcore AMD and a GTX260) can run Metro on Low settings with a steady 30 fps but it just buckles under Caspian, gets 15-20 FPS and the same audio problems Bad Hat talked about.

That was me! Hmph.. :frown:

But yeah, with Metro I was questioning the need to buy a new PC, but Caspian brought that concern right back. It would run better if I didn't have all settings on high and effects on ultra, but.. but.. I don't wanna. My PC is a C2D E8400 + HD 4870 1GB. Still, I'm surprised it runs as well as it does, considering it's nearly three years old, but I also run at only 1280x1024.

I don't wanna upgrade right now though, if AMD is releasing the next generation of videocards within the next 3 months or so.. Maybe I'll just upgrade everything but my videocard and use that until the 7970 is out. I think having a quad core CPU (maybe an i7) will already help a lot with this game. Especially since the crackling audio indicates it's a CPU thing, my videocard is still coping okay.

You absolutely need quadcore for this game, but you don't need insane clock speeds or architectures. If you're dead-set on Intel, go for an i5 - games basically can't use hyperthreading, and that's all you really pay for when you jump from i5 to i7. But AMD Phenom IIs run this game fabulously and they are incredibly cheap. Basically, get anything new that isn't an i7 or a hexacore, and you'll be alright for the next few years, assuming you get a new GPU soon-ish.

I really should get around to getting a new computer...don't want to miss out on yet another Battlefield's heyday because I couldn't be arsed to buy a PC that could run it lol

In the meantime, I've been playing some good old BF2 to get back in the main series BF mood.

This is pretty useful btw.

9cwre.jpg

I managed to pick up an UMP last night and just rocked my area of caspian. I think I'm lvl15 now so I'm super excited about unlocking it because it feels like the ump in MW2 where it's just stupid easy to use.

Also I'd like to know how they're alienating their fans by making the flag layout "clustered together", which is just like the flag layouts in most, if not all BF2 maps. They've always been a large map, with the two main bases on either side of the map, and several flags "clustered together" in the middle.

By placing the flags far apart you get more travel time instead of gameplay.

Also I'd like to know how they're alienating their fans by making the flag layout "clustered together", which is just like the flag layouts in most, if not all BF2 maps. They've always been a large map, with the two main bases on either side of the map, and several flags "clustered together" in the middle.

orly
BF2_Karkand64_map.jpg

Karkand's probably the best example of evenly spaced flags, but I would say between all the vanilla maps, there's a full spectrum from evenly-spaced to clustered, with the majority being even. Dragon Valley also seems pretty evenly-spaced, IMO:

k51JG.jpg

Sharky's a cluster:
NeNfg.jpg

Oman's mostly even I guess:
bf2oman64.jpg

FuShe's map looks a little clustered if you don't factor in the scale of the ****er:
BF2_Fushe64_map.jpg

Honestly I'd have to wait to see how it plays before deciding if I liked the layout. I just hope they represent the spectrum because sometimes I DO want that travel time. That will mean there's actual strategy to evaluate which point to capture to best help the team.

orly
[/IMG]

Karkand's probably the best example of evenly spaced flags, but I would say between all the vanilla maps, there's a full spectrum from evenly-spaced to clustered, with the majority being even. Dragon Valley also seems pretty evenly-spaced, IMO:

images

Honestly I'd have to wait to see how it plays before deciding if I liked the layout. I just hope they represent the spectrum because sometimes I DO want that travel time. That will mean there's actual strategy to evaluate which point to capture to best help the team.

this is a pretty crazy argument considering that no actual geography of operation firestorm has actually been released yet, and not have any of us played it. it's all good and well looking from above at some old BF maps, but what facts can we compare them against? a couple of seconds footage from a jet as it flies over the map? of course it looks tiny, that's the whole meaning behind people looking like ants from plane windows.

of course, as a cynic of BF2 i'd be inclined to weigh in with my blunt argument of hoping that the map design isn't anything like the design of BF2, because the ebb and flow to that game ****ing stinks, if you ask me. it's time to stop beating that long dead horse and get up to speed with a new gameplay philosophy.

of course, as a cynic of BF2 i'd be inclined to weigh in with my blunt argument of hoping that the map design isn't anything like the design of BF2, because the ebb and flow to that game ****ing stinks, if you ask me. it's time to stop beating that long dead horse and get up to speed with a new gameplay philosophy.
Times a million. Even Strike At Karkand only really "worked" at the Square and the Gatehouse. Hotel was a grenade spam fest, Suburb was useless, Train Accident was an over-emphasized choke point, and the entire industrial sector was a chaotic infantry gulag.

Times a million. Even Strike At Karkand only really "worked" at the Square and the Gatehouse. Hotel was a grenade spam fest, Suburb was useless, Train Accident was an over-emphasized choke point, and the entire industrial sector was a chaotic infantry gulag.
Also, infantry only (which was the prevailing game mode) never really clicked with me on that map. It just seemed more fun when you had Blackhawks to fly in, and tanks/APC to help get past Hotel.

In other news, they released a new trailer showcasing destruction. Here is the first video of the tower on Caspian being taken down, and I'm honestly surprised that it can be done (not sure if this is MP or not). I realize that Demize99 said in a tweet about 2 months again that you can take the tower down, but I'd be blown away if this is not exaggerated in some way.

Also, keep in mind that destruction was limited in the beta, among other things. So it makes sense that we're seeing a greater level of destruction here than in the beta.

Anyway, here's the video:

Think I'm going to avoid that cd key site I posted. Too many bad reviews. Amazon boxed copy it is then! (Unless it comes to steam as rumoured)

Still not worried about the release?

Have a gander at this
http://au.pc.gamespy.com/pc/battlefield-3/1199753p1.html
Most of the stuff they will fix or add within the next month or two. Most of the complaints in the beta was fixed months ago according to the interview I posted. What your honestly going to be a cry baby because you can't use battlelog to talk with .netter's instead of TS, Vent, etc? I mean does anybody honestly use VOIP in games?

I've seen those promises from developers like that before. Everyone says X, Y & Z is broken and the developer's blanket the response 'all is well in the final product!'. Gives everyone the confidence to stick by their pre-order or buy. It's very sweet of them.

I've seen those promises from developers like that before. Everyone says X, Y & Z is broken and the developer's blanket the response 'all is well in the final product!'. Gives everyone the confidence to stick by their pre-order or buy. It's very sweet of them.

The thing is though, nothing is actually really broken. If you read the Gamespy interview it is all about features that aren't implemented yet or aren't working as people want it to. The actual game is a hoot to play. And I don't know about you but the gameplay is my primary concern.

It is a shame bullet damage will be nerfed btw. I thought it was just right as it was in the beta. Then again I came from RO2 so that might have influenced my judgement.

It's not being generally nerfed, that's just poor reporting :p What's been nerfed post-Beta is the UMP's mid-range damage and the short-range OHK abilities of certain sniper rifles. Also it seems the guy who wrote that article was experiencing the lack of the "extra damage taken while running" bug, without realising it was even there in the beta.

Also, infantry only (which was the prevailing game mode) never really clicked with me on that map. It just seemed more fun when you had Blackhawks to fly in, and tanks/APC to help get past Hotel.

In other news, they released a new trailer showcasing destruction. Here is the first video of the tower on Caspian being taken down, and I'm honestly surprised that it can be done (not sure if this is MP or not). I realize that Demize99 said in a tweet about 2 months again that you can take the tower down, but I'd be blown away if this is not exaggerated in some way.

Also, keep in mind that destruction was limited in the beta, among other things. So it makes sense that we're seeing a greater level of destruction here than in the beta.

Anyway, here's the video:

re: the tower, i'm guessing it is either going to be something from the singleplayer, or perhaps something in the final rush gamemode, wherein taking a certain control point will bring the tower down, for dramatic effect n' all that.

i can't see it being able to be brought down in everyday games as alot of focus will shift from people just trying to bring it down for the wow factor, unless perhaps it takes quite a lot of damage, and even... whats the point?

The thing is though, nothing is actually really broken. If you read the Gamespy interview it is all about features that aren't implemented yet or aren't working as people want it to. The actual game is a hoot to play. And I don't know about you but the gameplay is my primary concern.

It is a shame bullet damage will be nerfed btw. I thought it was just right as it was in the beta. Then again I came from RO2 so that might have influenced my judgement.

Agreed. Once I figured out what I was doing, overall aside from a few uneven team situations I had a blast. I think the big problem was the inability to team up with friends to form squads, but as that's going to be fixed I'm looking forward to squading up with my homeboys on mumble. Likewise I thought bullet damage was ok, aside from the UMP and the peng MG, so I hope it's not dramatically lessened tbh.

Back