Battlefield 3

When it comes to Graphics what parts are going to be the most demanding?
I think Shadows and AA.I have a sixcore cpu so I'm thinking by dialing down the shadows to medium turning off AA I should be more then fine.
I think it was Krynn who pointed out once that at a high resolution setting like 1920x1080 AA isn't that important compared to like back in the HL1 days where we played in 1024x768.

SO EXCITED!!!! Can't wait to see what changed they made to Metro!

I will elaborate on my experience more tomorrow but I played BF3 on PC today with Laurence (Sulkdodds) and I wasn't blown away. It felt very much like BC2 in an open environment city street map (Team deathmatch). No vehicles were available either. Only played assault and support. I think Laurence played Sniper + engineer (perhaps?), medic wasn't available.

When it comes to Graphics what parts are going to be the most demanding?
I think Shadows and AA.I have a sixcore cpu so I'm thinking by dialing down the shadows to medium turning off AA I should be more then fine.
I think it was Krynn who pointed out once that at a high resolution setting like 1920x1080 AA isn't that important compared to like back in the HL1 days where we played in 1024x768.

SO EXCITED!!!! Can't wait to see what changed they made to Metro!

Doesn't the GPU handle shadows and aa?

I will elaborate on my experience more tomorrow but I played BF3 on PC today with Laurence (Sulkdodds) and I wasn't blown away. It felt very much like BC2 in an open environment city street map (Team deathmatch). No vehicles were available either. Only played assault and support. I think Laurence played Sniper + engineer (perhaps?), medic wasn't available.
Assault is now medic.

That doesn't sound too optimistic. :(

Well I had tons of fun playing the Alpha...even through all game breaking bugs,it can only get better I think.
still ratings wise I don't think BF3 will breach 90%..........

Ahhhhhh yeah the snow level at the docks.

Gah, forgot about that one.

Anyway, back to fixing my sarcasm detector.

That was my point :) BC2 had a "beta", but it didn't have a "demo".

Labeling it a "beta" seems to me like a way to dodge criticism. "You don't like something/the performance is poor/the graphics are subpar at parts? That's cause it's a beta!".

To me, that's good news. If it's BC2 with better graphics, bigger maps, more players, more weapons, more vehicles, prone, annoying things of BC2 fixed, then I'm a happy, happy man.

That was my point :) BC2 had a "beta", but it didn't have a "demo".

Labeling it a "beta" seems to me like a way to dodge criticism. "You don't like something/the performance is poor/the graphics are subpar at parts? That's cause it's a beta!".

The console version of that "beta" was called demo, they renamed it to "beta" for the PC version because demo sounds so mainstream.

Anyway, looking forward to giving the BF3 demo/beta a try.

I enjoyed how the queue for BF3 was way bigger than the queue for MW3 at Eurogamer Expo this weekend.

I still see betas as demos though. If it means playing a game earlier, to me it might as well just be a demo. The "feedback" is done mainly through unread forums anyway isn't it? Well, without the stat tracking and all that.

Speaking of which, they better pump out the pre-order beta keys and any leftover MoH keys tomorrow, as it's the 25th and it's supposed to start on the 27th for us and the 29th for everyone else who dnt need the keys.

To me, that's good news. If it's BC2 with better graphics, bigger maps, more players, more weapons, more vehicles, prone, annoying things of BC2 fixed, then I'm a happy, happy man.

I'm with you on that.

I still see betas as demos though. If it means playing a game earlier, to me it might as well just be a demo. The "feedback" is done mainly through unread forums anyway isn't it? Well, without the stat tracking and all that.

The developers read them. They'd be dumb not to, it's free feedback.

dynasty's ignorance is, as always, hilarious. ''unread forums'', as if the man has some insider development knowledge that we'll all unfamiliar with.

When you have a rep, maintain it. For a laugh if need be.

And the problem with forums is that if you DONT make a statement or put a question mark on the end, you get slammed down for not knowing it and vica-versa.

''above and beyond the call'' (of duty) is a nice little jab. shame the trailer is obviously marketed towards that crowd, but hey, sales.

Pretty much guaranteed that song choice was vetted by a 30-something who doesn't play games or listen to rap.

grats to ennui and his crew for getting Battlefieldo mentioned on Kotaku!

I'm starting to question EA's marketing logic when it comes to that add.

To me, 99 Problems is an attempt to ''get down'' wiv' da younga generation, na' mean son?

I can understand them wanting to destroy CoD, which it will, no doubt, CoD will definitely out-sell it, but it will be an inconvenient truth for every CoD fan that BF is better, 'twill be whispered in alleyways etc. But that ''Above And Beyond The Call'' line at the end is, for me, FAR too childish.

''Oh, we never put two and two together.'' will undoubtedly be EA's excuse tucked away in a desk draw at the press room, but it's just a blatant finger to CoD.

Now I hate CoD, but I feel EA have taken this into the realm of some kind of vendetta. It's not revenge. It's becoming un-sportsman-like. EA seemed to have turned into some kind of monster completely fixated on beating CoD. Which is great, but this is going too far.

You're out-preordering CoD on Amazon here in Europe, and the PC version is thrashing the console versions. You've got 1.5 million orders minimum, due to rocket higher once the beat comes out. It's a month away.

DICE must be slowly shaking their heads and rolling their eyes in shame.

you almost sound butthurt. don't take it too seriously, it's just a little poke at the franchise.

it's nothing compared to the video where they have a abrams tank rolling over a little c4 RC car. now that's a bit ridiculous, but whatever - it's advertising and marketing. **** 'em.

'99 problems, though an excellent song, is actually from 2004. Similarly, Modern Warfare 2 used "'til I collapse" a song from 2002.

They're not appealing to youngsters, they're aiming for the mid-20s audience with those songs.

you almost sound butthurt. don't take it too seriously, it's just a little poke at the franchise.

it's nothing compared to the video where they have a abrams tank rolling over a little c4 RC car. now that's a bit ridiculous, but whatever - it's advertising and marketing. **** 'em.

Havent seen that, but yeah, that's worse.

Im not taking it too serious. I just think it's over the top and has become un-necessary. Yeah market the crap out of it to get as many people to buy it as possible, that's their job...

but judging by the forum responses about the beta, they have some work to do. Seems like theyve just released the alpha again.

well, they're arguably the competition right now. any chance they get to do one over the other franchise they will take it. if this new COD title actually had some momentum behind it they would be doing the same.

> Download the beta all evening after waiting all this time on a business trip
> Install and run.
4607604396_fef7da90b4_m.jpg

"No contact with EA backend. Please try again later."

th_OkayGuy.jpg

well, they're arguably the competition right now. any chance they get to do one over the other franchise they will take it. if this new COD title actually had some momentum behind it they would be doing the same.

The problem with a video like this, is that the blatant pandering is completely off-putting, and encouraging the "hurr durr BF3 pownes COD" shit running rampant through this new Battlefield fanbase.

But then again, everything about BF3 does that. And thats why I no buy. New fanbase is going to suck ass.

I made a thing that doesn't go in the Beta thread :V It's the Caspian Border trailer set to "Journeyman" by Amon Tobin.

The problem with a video like this, is that the blatant pandering is completely off-putting, and encouraging the "hurr durr BF3 pownes COD" shit running rampant through this new Battlefield fanbase.

But then again, everything about BF3 does that. And thats why I no buy. New fanbase is going to suck ass.
It's not so bad. Battlefieldo and Don't Revive Me Bro have pretty mature communities that don't pander to the BF3 vs MW3 nonsense. It's places like the EA UK forums, youtube and EnterBF3 that the retards run rampant.

Plus, remember HL2.net back in the day? HL2 vs Halo 2? HL2 vs Doom 3?

Hmmm, pretty sure I had successfully does a post earlier but I'll try again.

Does anyone else think that the scope shine feature, though a welcome addition to balance snipers, is horribly unrealistic?

Yep, there is a discussion of it a few posts back. BF3 isn't about realism though, it's about providing a relatively authentic experience with the focus being on the immersion factor and on fun gameplay that SEEMS realistic but isn't afraid to cut corners or compromise realism in favor of fun.

I still think it's realistic.

And about time snipers cant just hide everywhere.

I never understood why you can't fully kill someone. A deadly shot should be deadly, no reviving. And if you down someone, you should be able to shoot their damn body to kill them. This puzzled/frustrated me since bf2.

I never understood why you can't fully kill someone. A deadly shot should be deadly, no reviving. And if you down someone, you should be able to shoot their damn body to kill them. This puzzled/frustrated me since bf2.

Don't know about here, but in BF2 you could die "fully" from some explosives (like artillery, a direct tank shell or SRAW missile, probably C4 if you were right next to it).

Does it still count as a death if you get "killed" and then revived in BF3? In BF2 it was an additional reason to stay together and play as a squad - not only did squadmates have a better experience, but they could enjoy better stats as well, if they were reviving each other. I didn't like how they deviated from that in BC2.

Don't know about here, but in BF2 you could die "fully" from some explosives (like artillery, a direct tank shell or SRAW missile, probably C4 if you were right next to it).
Yes, I'm aware of that. Still doesn't make sense that no amount of bullets can achieve the same effect.

Back