Battlefield 3

got my 25% off code for signing up for the EA gun club today
Origin pre-order here I come! :/

I'm guessing the irony of you making this statement on a Half-Life 2 forum completely flew over your head, eh? :p You do realize that HL2's release was one of the first AAA titles to require a service like Steam, if not THE first?

Also, Gabe has repeatedly made statements implying that he thinks Valve should adapt to fit EA's requirements for digital distribution, so it seems quite likely we'll see BF3 on Steam sometime down the road post-release.

thankyou.gif

got my 25% off code for signing up for the EA gun club today
Origin pre-order here I come! :/

k **** EA.

first of all, the code they sent me TODAY, expired in July of this year
second, when I contact them via live chat to see if they can issue me a new one, someone tells me, in broken english, that they don't have any to give
what does that even mean? do they just spontaneously appear? surely they can dig up a code for me to use so I don't take my business elsewhere... NOPE. and apparently there is no one else I can contact about the issue

retail it is.

That's pretty goddamn stupid, I agree. You might wanna try to find another representative in support chat, some are way more helpful / friendly than others.

Man it's a good thing that shotgun fires buckshot at a 45 degree angle otherwise he might have had to aim at that guy or something.

Apparently you get dead space 2 free if you preorder from origin at the moment. America only though and there are "limited quantities." Lol

If you've already preordered on origin you can contact support and they've been giving people dead space 2. I'm still buying retail though. £40 is way too much.

I was fortunate enough to "win" a promo code on reddit today
went ahead and pre-ordered on Origin for $50 USD, with a free copy of DS2 :D

**** ORIGIN CHRIST THIS ****ING BLOWS BOYCOTT TIME

*discount* *freebies*

sold!

Do you get a code for Dead Space 2? I already have it for Steam. Also you can get a 25% off code supposedly if you create an Origin account and set your B-Day 2 days ahead of time. I never got a code because I un-ticked the "please don't spam me box". However I created an account using another account and still did not receive a code.

ya the bday thing doesn't seem to work anymore
at least it didn't for me

As much as I trust DICE, I genuinely hope they're on the ball with security and hacks, because if BF3 on the PC turns into a CoD-like hack-fest...I dont even want to think about it.

You just know there are virgins out there that will deliberately try to take down BF3 (by making it easy for people to hack like MW2) because they are trying to send a statement, trying to watch competition fail, trying to make a game so hyped fail because they love hyped games failing, etc etc. Jerks with nothing better to do, like Anonymous or the childish and childishly named Lulzsec (seriously? Lulzsec? Grow up).

You just know there are virgins out there that will deliberately try to take down BF3 (by making it easy for people to hack like MW2) because they are trying to send a statement, trying to watch competition fail, trying to make a game so hyped fail because they love hyped games failing, etc etc. Jerks with nothing better to do, like Anonymous or the childish and childishly named Lulzsec (seriously? Lulzsec? Grow up).

Some people do it for the rage inducing factor, others do it simply because there is a lot of $$$ to be made in selling online hacks.

I'm pretty disappointed that Operation Metro is the only map and Rush is the only game mode. Not sure how they're going to balance and bug test if they've only given us one map and mode the whole way though.

That's why it should be called a damn demo, what's up with this beta model?

That's why it should be called a damn demo, what's up with this beta model?
Yeah, I don't know. I guess they're trying to create the illusion that we, as a community, have a say.

In reality, the "Alpha" was the beta test with the PC players providing feedback. And the "Beta" is just a demo because it's only 15 days until release when the beta ends...

Minimum system requirements:

Processor: 2 ghz dual core (core 2 duo 2.4 ghz or althon x2 2.7 ghz)
Memory: 2 gb
Hard drive: 20 gb
Graphics card (amd): Directx 10.1 compatible with 512 mb ram (ati radeon 3000, 4000, 5000 or 6000 series, with ati radeon 3870 or higher performance)
Graphics card (nvidia): Directx 10.0 compatible with 512 mb ram (nvidia geforce 8, 9, 200, 300, 400 or 500 series with nvidia geforce 8800 gt or higher performance)
Sound card: Directx compatible

Recommended system requirements:

Processor: Quad-core cpu
Memory: 4 gb
Hard drive: 20 gb
Graphics card: Directx 11 compatible with 1024 mb ram (nvidia geforce gtx 560 or ati radeon 6950)
Sound card: Directx compatible

http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield3/1/beta

Looks like i BARELY scrape by. :/

Chances are the Beta is more a beta of the net code + minor balances tweaks such as weapons and addons. Is Gun A far to overpowered?? Is it the only one people use?? IE The M60 in bc2.

Also netcode wise its hard to get a mass of people on a game to test this kind of stuff and a beta is a good opportunity to test it. A demo will be a portion of a final product. A Beta will have some broken bits needing to be fixed and may put people off if it had big bugs and was called a demo.

Chances are the Beta is more a beta of the net code + minor balances tweaks such as weapons and addons. Is Gun A far to overpowered?? Is it the only one people use?? IE The M60 in bc2.

Also netcode wise its hard to get a mass of people on a game to test this kind of stuff and a beta is a good opportunity to test it. A demo will be a portion of a final product. A Beta will have some broken bits needing to be fixed and may put people off if it had big bugs and was called a demo.

I just wish they gave us a map and game mode that allowed us to use all combinations and permutations of vehicles and weapons so that there was actual balancing.

Im surprised the beta is SO open. No rank limit, no unlock limit, starts on the 29th and finishes on the 10th. Actually, thats not so bad come to think of it. Even if you played 24/7 you'd reach level 15-20 I'd guess, judging by Bad COmpany 2's ranking time. Sheesh, 200+ hours and still only rank 42 for me out of 50. Love that though, makes the game last AAAAAAGES.

I think I will cave and give this a try. And then INSTANTLY regret it. It's too big of a game to not try, but precisely because of that, I dont want to ruin that day when it arrives on my doorstep and I fall to my knees thanking some non-specific deity and then sprint to my PC and install and play it, my jaw on the floor and suddenly its 5am on saturday and I need sleep.

I really, really hate that feeling when a game arrives and you load it up, less giddy about it because you have played the demo and it somehow feels less unique and fresh as a result. You know how the game plays and you know what's coming.

And I cant wait to see the ''this game clearly sucks, all that hype for nothing'' flame wars by CoD fanboys.

A demo will be a portion of a final product. A Beta will have some broken bits needing to be fixed and may put people off if it had big bugs and was called a demo.

Except that there probably won't be a demo. Wasn't that the case with Bad Company 2? Maybe I am mistaken, but I don't think there was a demo released later.

I'm pretty sure Bad Company 2 didn't have any beta or demo, probably due to the fact that it was built off Bad Company with some tweaks, not a new engine.

Bad Company did well so they must've not wanted to change the formula too much.

I'm pretty sure Bad Company 2 didn't have any beta or demo, probably due to the fact that it was built off Bad Company with some tweaks, not a new engine.

Bad Company did well so they must've not wanted to change the formula too much.

ding ding ding, wrong again, mr presumption! bc2 had a ''beta'' (demo)

I can feel myself starting to slip, I will likely preorder on Friday. :D

The reason developers use the word 'Beta' for describing something that is essentially finished, is simply to protect them from minor glitches that may be perceived as major issues with the game.

Simple problems such as driver incompatibilities and real world balancing, can cause different levels of community fallout, depending on whether you declared something as a DEMO or a BETA. People know the word Beta and expect them to have issues, while people usually expect Demos to be fairly representative of the final release.

Found this on twitter, one of the DICE dev's - Daniel Matros, says we need 2 GTX 580's to play BF3 all on high, or is it marketing bullshit for Nvidia?

link

Probably both. BF3 definitely will require some heavy hardware for maximum quality, but there's no reason DICE would intentionally hamstring 30-50% of their consumer demographic, even for money.

Damn it, I just bought a EVGA GTX 570 classified, and then its not good enough for high quality? Gah! D:

It's not good enough for ultra. It'll still look pretty amazing on high, or, whatever it is the 570 can manage :p

It's not good enough for ultra. It'll still look pretty amazing on high, or, whatever it is the 570 can manage :p

I hope, but its absolutely ludicrous how Zh1nt0 is saying that the recommended spec's are merely just another way of saying medium settings at a playable FPS? What the ****?

Either BF3 is poorly optimized, or its the next coming of Half-Life 2.

played the alpha on high with a 560ti....worked fine

The alpha had alot of stuff lowered, and they turned off all the DX11 gimmics like tessellation, 3D support, etc.

Well, I will play the beta for sure, and possibly buy it, but its gonna look like booty on my laptop (as booty as BF3 could look anyways). Duo T990 @ 3.0 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, and a nVIDIA 260m GTX means I will be pretty close to the minimum requirements, but maybe I can run some settings on medium.

so psyched for the beta.dunno why I wasted money on gears...oh well. I just trade it in for BF3 lol.

ding ding ding, wrong again, mr presumption! bc2 had a ''beta'' (demo)

Ahhhhhh yeah the snow level at the docks.

Gah, forgot about that one.

Anyway, back to fixing my sarcasm detector.

Back