Battlefield 3

not to be overtly nitpicky or critical of your post but, the field isn't quite so black and white as having battles in big open fields per-se :p a living room can be a battlefield, it's just on a smaller scale then what we might normally associate a battle-field with i.e. gulf of oman sight-lines. it's still a scene of battle, therefore a battlefield.

but no yeah i absolutely agree, it's ridiculous to constrict the gameplay to that said living room. like i said earlier, i'd be quite into this if it was building to building fighting across a wider scale but so far, it's just building fighting. there are three other maps, though, so there's a chance it might be something akin to that but eh, not looking too good right now.

not to be overtly nitpicky or critical of your post but, the field isn't quite so black and white as having battles in big open fields per-se :p a living room can be a battlefield, it's just on a smaller scale then what we might normally associate a battle-field with
Well I always felt that the use of the word battlefield to describe a small area was more in like a sarcastic or metaphoric sense. Like, clearly the term originated in a time where battles did take place in fields, so in my opinion any use of that word in other small areas is metaphoric. So it's good to know that Dice is taking their franchise seriously! Maybe they can take a metaphoric interpretation of the word Battle too and make the game about court battles.

Why the hell would they take the fight indoors like this? It just looks like it's going to be full of nade/rocket spam with people running around with grenade launchers and shotguns spamming the crap out of everything.

Basically it's going to be Metro going up. Can't say I'm going to enjoy it.

Liking the British support rifle though.

Well I always felt that the use of the word battlefield to describe a small area was more in like a sarcastic or metaphoric sense. Like, clearly the term originated in a time where battles did take place in fields, so in my opinion any use of that word in other small areas is metaphoric. So it's good to know that Dice is taking their franchise seriously! Maybe they can take a metaphoric interpretation of the word Battle too and make the game about court battles.

welp, i'm shrugging pretty hard right now. fact of the matter is there still are a lot of maps that take place in fields, and the second expansion is looking to revisit that. end of the day, the franchise is just going down another avenue, but at least it's doing so in a DLC and not a full blown title.

I'd say that's about it. Not a huge deal since it's only one map, but it scares me that they need to go in that direction.

All of the maps in the upcoming expansion pack are close quarters focused as far as I know. It won't be until the next expansion pack that we start to see some new larger open maps.

I'm still playing this with my brother and some friends and I'm still enjoying it. Definitely helps to be playing with friends!

I'm really hoping these expansions add something more, because as it is Battlefield 3 is absolutely boring without friends who play more than occasionally.

So I decided to get BF3 when it was 50% off.

So who wants to be friends with me on Battlelog?

Just have to fix the crash issue which takes my PC down with it before I can play in peace and I have to get over the browser based sever browser.

Is Battlefield 3 more playable these days than it was during beta? Among some gameplay annoyances, what detracted me from buying it after the beta:
- ****ing annoying menus that are ONLY accesible ingame and alive
- Connecting to a server takes 5-30 minutes of button bashing in a web browser.
- Like in BC2, my PC has this habit of regularly crashing or BSODing when playing it. BC2 would work fine on XP(not win7) but EA decided to drop XP support to show how advanced their impressive BF3 color filters 2.0 technology is.

During the beta I was like "I want to love this game" but I couldn't.

played with the patch a bit, really enjoying it actually. so far i've not been killed by a single USAS or MAV, so that's a success for me. there are reports of mav elevators still being used but i think it's quite isolated, or at least i haven't seen them being used.

lot of people saying armour has been nerfed ABSOLUTELY LOADS OH MY GOD but i haven't noticed that. originally i did see the anti-air lock-on being useless but in the space of a day it seems to be better - i saw a tweet saying it was going to get fixed but i don't remember downloading the update for it? who knows, seems fairly decent now.

there is, however, one thing i am thus far undecided on. the new rented servers. it's an absolutely amazing feature and it's great to see longer ticket games, more flags and servers called teamwork or PTFO. it's amazing. what's not amazing, however, is how much i seem to run into amazingly good players with completely unbalanced teams, or people not working fairly or not in a constructive, teamworking manner but yet the server admins don't seem to be doing anything about. in my two days of playing the patch me and my two pals have had some pretty bitter games in new servers labeled teamwork or somesuch only to have the majority of the game being shit on by base-raping level 100 littlebird pilots. that stinks. as such, we've had a lot more fun going back into the official dice servers (which a few of have also increased the ticket cap within) and they have been a lot more fun.

i guess it's still the early days of the rented servers though, so in time i'll find suitable favourites and whatnot. but the idea of it is great and i am super happy it's available to console players now.

Wait, "rented servers"? Does that mean all dedicated servers have to be rented directly from EA? No real hosting?

i see them listed as rent-a-server, so i'm not sure. don't really know how all that works if i'm honest with you.

I dunno, I think the stinger missile tweak is potentially workable. Faster lock-on times is a big plus, even if range is reduced so much. It'll help keep them the hell away from you when you're trying to accomplish something.

I dunno, I think the stinger missile tweak is potentially workable. Faster lock-on times is a big plus, even if range is reduced so much. It'll help keep them the hell away from you when you're trying to accomplish something.

not quite sure what you mean. people are reporting the new patch makes lock-on slower, and for one or two games i experienced the very same problem - upwards of 20 to 30 seconds for a lock, sometimes it was 5 seconds, othertimes nothing at all no matter how much i would follow the jet/helo. range was never really the issue for me.

but then as i said, later on (or the next day, i forget), the lock-on was working mostly fine.

it's great to see longer ticket games

Tbh, I don't see how this is so great and it slightly annoys me that there are so many 1000 ticket servers. I'd rather have a round last 20 minutes and play a few rounds if I want, rather than have to commit to playing a single round for 40-60 minutes

Tbh, I don't see how this is so great and it slightly annoys me that there are so many 1000 ticket servers. I'd rather have a round last 20 minutes and play a few rounds if I want, rather than have to commit to playing a single round for 40-60 minutes

i probably should of been more specific: i mean like 300 tickets each team conquest games, or 150 ticket rush games. 1000 is too much, aye, i agree, but with the old 150 conquest or 75 rush tickets sometimes i would play games against not so formidable teams (or on a not so formidable team) that would last for 8 to 10 minutes. sometimes they don't really give you much room to really get a good push-and-pull type scenario going. like, i would see a game of conquest get down to a quick grab of all the flags, then the dominating team would hold said flags, there would be minor skirmishes on one flag or another and then it's gameover, whereas with a conquest game of 300/400 tickets each, there's a lot of room for the other team to regroup and get their shit together at least three to four more times to really get back at the dominating teams.

and sometimes it's just a case of being in a great game with a great team and you don't want the end of round screen to come up because you know half the team might leave because it's an appropriate time to do so, or the next map might not be so great and the good luck/good spirits of the last game lost with it. it's a mentality thing, i guess!

edit: oh, another thing that's peeved me: a lot of the servers i've been joining - even official DICE servers - seem to have reduced the number of squads available. now, i realize that this is a great way of forcing people to join squads of two to three people, but if i'm entering the game with two people already, i want to be able to make a squad with them and not have to be split up into the remaining slots available. that's been a bit of a bother recently. also, it does my head in when i see two people in a squad and it's locked. i mean i guess they might be waiting for a buddy to get online but a lot of the time i see the same two people in several different rounds, still in a locked squad. do you guys not want my ammo or health?

Oh, in that case yes - 300 tickets is an optimal value IMHO - but I thought this is the "normal" ticket count? I don't recall playing any 150 ticket servers (at least not recently). Perhaps I didn't pay enough attention to the ticket count, unless it was huge.

i presume you're playing on pc? xbox conquest ticket count is likely a little less, because of less players. when i think about it, it might not of been 150, but it was still quite small. 200 maybe? 200 sounds about right, but i like 300 to 400 now.

For some reason, the option to turn on stereoscopic 3D isn't there anymore in video options since patch.

Recently bought it because I had this urge to play an online FPS other than TF2 and I must say it has exceeded my expectations. Loving how open ended the maps are and how they improved the lag and control issues that ruined BC2 for me. Also battlelog works much better than during the beta.

It's a good game that I don't play for silly reasons: aka I have to open Origin, which opens the "Battlelog" which uses my web browser, which uses a plugin, which launches the game client.

Actually, when I type it all out it makes perfect sense that I don't play it. Doing all that stuff is annoying as hell.

The kicker here is it's quite an amazing port, capable of so much if it were a little less locked down and convoluted with its startup systems and inability to mod. So what is a great port technologically speaking becomes what we so often call "consolized" in its forcing the player into what they believe is streamlined simplicity.

It's all bullshit and wastes quite a bit of good engineering and game design on behalf of EA's escapades in cornering the PC market with Origin and being fascist about their IP and modding.

It's a good game that I don't play for silly reasons: aka I have to open Origin, which opens the "Battlelog" which uses my web browser, which uses a plugin, which launches the game client.
Actually, when I type it all out it makes perfect sense that I don't play it. Doing all that stuff is annoying as hell.

How is that more of a hassle than launching most games?

"Regular" game:
launch exe -> choose "multiplayer" in menu -> choose server -> click join

BF3:
launch exe -> click "multiplayer" in browser -> choose server -> click join

If anything, I find it easier to manage - I'm doing whatever in the Internet, I decide I want to play, I launch Battlelog, choose a server, go back to whatever I was doing in another tab and in 2 minutes check back to see that the game is ready to play.

I just go to the damn browser bookmark I have set up and Origin launches when I pick a server, duh.

By the sounds of it, everyone hates BF3. But I just got it last week (skipped BF2, was a HUGE fan before that, but my PC couldn't run it), and I think it's great! The indoor levels are kinda meh and there are overpowered weapons (darts), that's about it. Anyone still play? Just got a new mic/headset! :)

I like the game a lot and play it on Tuesday and Sunday evenings with some friends (we're in Europe, unfortunately for you, Dog).

I started recording some of our gaming (although there is a bit of performance hit which makes aiming less smooth). Let me share one of the clips I edited:

I'd still be playing in CA if I weren't so consumed with questing to become The Boshy.

Back