Beware of the new Gametrailers preview

I take it the advisor wasn't wrinkled because it was a young advisor? possibly, you-know-who, perhaps?

Also, did it look like there was some slight Depth of Field going on when the advisor was about to off Gordon?

Thats hardly a spoiler, compared to what I saw :upstare:

It involved a conversation between an advisor and another suited man (Much like Gman but not). Gman walks into the room and the other guy said something about Gman supposed to be dead, then it abrubtly stops and fade to black.

If that is true then my theory is actually correct at least maybe some of it is, either way this is all getting more interesting I just can't imagine what's going to happen at the end of ep2, something very big is going to happen.

Btw that advisor vid was awesome it probably did contain a tiny bit of spoilers but why would Valve show it to us, I'm sure they just purposely showed us the advisor so that we can see what it can really do other than a mind attack.

I take it the advisor wasn't wrinkled because it was a young advisor? possibly, you-know-who, perhaps?

It did look as though it was an infant, almost; still developing because it didn't have the arms or anything like that. It could just be that they have re-worked the model, mind. I also doubt it was Breen. Valve don't make it Breen. :>|

The things escapde pod must have crashed, because Alyx said it was on life support.

Yeah and it wouldn't really make sense for it to be Breen either.

Say if he was an advisor now, then its safe to assume its the advisor that gives you psychic attacks in Ep. 1. But that one left the Citadel far earlier than the other advisors. And why would that one make its way all the way to some barnyard in a forest somewhere?

Yeah and it wouldn't really make sense for it to be Breen either.

No, I don't think so. There's no possible way for him to half escaped the reactor. The only three, plausible explanations are that either the Gman or the Vortigaunts pulled him out of there, or he's dead. We're supposed to be seeing more of the Combine, and making the Advisors Breen is just...lame, because then we aren't, we're just seeing Breen again. The only difference is he's in a retarded state and he isn't Breen anyway because we've lost his personality and humanity.

Say if he was an advisor now, then its safe to assume its the advisor that gives you psychic attacks in Ep. 1. But that one left the Citadel far earlier than the other advisors. And why would that one make its way all the way to some barnyard in a forest somewhere?

I got the impression that Advisor didn't leave early, and was simply docked until the final moment.

When Alyx pushed that dead Resistance members body off of the control station it actually looked quite weighty, as opposed to the sometimes silly (and boneless) ragdolls of bodies in HL2. Either way, it sure did look awesome the way it slowly slumped over into a heap on the floor.

Cool video. I'm sure it will look great on my PC.

As for the advisor not having wrinkles, maybe it's young, or maybe wrinkles are like freckles in humans, some have them others don't.

I wonder if those things are making any more of their race?

yeh...maybe. but wats up with the combine soldiers arms... theres a big red overwatch badge there, y only old overwatch have them, i think it looks stupid on soldiers, the blue/black nd red doesnt go

Well they don't only have the new overwatch badge on their arm but they also have orange goggles then the blue ones they usually wear. I take it that they are some type of bodyguard for the advisors or not.

Maybe they're reinforcements from some other city, coming to help their beleaguered City 17 allies? Or maybe specialized soldiers for fighting in the countryside, like the Nova Prospekt guards for Nova Prospekt?

Still they way that the
adviser sucked up everything and everyone trying to eat it's life energy
was really cool. (Note: Don't open the spoiler tag if you don't want the game spoiled)

I'll repeat what I said in the Announcements thread, and that is my beef with the new blood effects. IMO they look overblown, primitive, and not to mention unrealistic when you take into account how much armor and clothing the Combine are wearing. Unless the video's quality is misleading or the blood effect is incomplete, I'll take regular HL2 blood please.

However, I still love the
Advisor encounter. Especially the end when he gathers the debris around himself as a shield and flies out of the roof. Surreal and intimidating.

That's ****ing awesome how the Advisor picks up Gordon, Alyx, and that dead resistance citizen like that and flies away. Also, that tube thing is meh.

I hope a higher-res video without the commentary becomes available. (so you can hear the action and the v.o's)

The tube thing is what the Combine Advisor sucks people with.

Advisorsuckingthing.jpg

i'd call it a slash not a suck

And, in the words of Sulk, it's the best alien penis in a long time.

lol, i'm sure it is, but y its coming out of his mouth is a mystery...

Damnit, I only went and watched it... just couldn't resist. Yeah, it's bloody brilliant, except for the new blood effect, of course. It would have been a lot scarier if I'd actually been playing it of course, and now I've probably blown like half of that future enjoyment out of it.

Hehe, that "alien penis" reminds me of the cut-off Hydra :D It acts like Hydra in that early E3 video.

The Combine adivsor is the equal of the HL1 (in RTB) Mr. Friendly, ahem.

it does remind u of the hydra doesnt it

Gah, I cant decide if I should watch it, feels so stupid to get spoiled one and a half month before release. To everyone who has: is there some kind of massive spoiler or is it just something like, lets say that old trailer with Gman and alyx?

Story wise no, but in the gameplayer trailer you learn that the Combine Advisor aren't lifeless and nothingness. They do other things, les say. ;)

it does remind u of the hydra doesnt it
Not really because the Hydra was a tentacle.

Gah, I cant decide if I should watch it, feels so stupid to get spoiled one and a half month before release. To everyone who has: is there some kind of massive spoiler or is it just something like, lets say that old trailer with Gman and alyx?

They show off some stuff with dynamic self-shadowing, then they spoil an entire scripted sequence - and an awesome one at that. I'd stop watching it after they crawl through the short tunnel, unless you want the want the enjoyment of that part shashed in half when you play it.

Did anybody notice that picture seems to go darker and contrast boosts at 1:47, 1:55 and 2:06? Is it a new feature with HDR, like when you stare at strong light it all gets blurry until your eye adepts or something?

Also I can see subtle depth of field(when advisor tries to touch you with his tongue) and motion blur(in battle scene at the end), but thats probably because the video.

BTW new blood sucks... it looks like something from quake or doom2...

I think that's the Advisor playing with our mind at those times. It contracts your vision a bit. Right after the first time, Alyx is surprised like "Uh, what was that?" Then the narrator guy mention something weird happening.
It's quite different from what we experienced in the Adviser chamber in the Citadel.

That's awesome; not only is it HD, it's an extended verson of the original! :D

I will say this, it seems the overwatch are still their retarded selves, I was hoping valve would pump up their A.I abit.

Valve is inspired by Smod with the blood.

I will say this, it seems the overwatch are still their retarded selves, I was hoping valve would pump up their A.I abit.

In what way?

Damn, in that high-res version you can clearly see the crashed pod, as well as some mysterious entity in the sky.

They're just standing there, not ducking for cover. Not using the wall for conceilment, alittle more alert and urgency would make it interesting.

They use wall concealment in HL2. I'm pretty sure they will use it in here.

Hmm, at and around 5:00 minutes on the IGN vid the combine he is shooting at has a different colored amour then the dead one. and its less shiny too. Maybe they have randomized phong for soldiers so they all don't have the same shine?

Loved that good ol' Half-Life 1 cracking sound when the Advisor plunged his "trunk" into the neck of the resistance guy.

Hmm, at and around 5:00 minutes on the IGN vid the combine he is shooting at has a different colored amour then the dead one. and its less shiny too. Maybe they have randomized phong for soldiers so they all don't have the same shine?

That'd be the most useless feature ever.

And this soldier is infact the new one shown when leaving the building. They seem to only carry shotguns.

This is going to run great on my dual Nvidia geforce 8500 512mb :cheese:

This is amazing, beautiful, everything... except the blood.... I hope they fix that, it's cartoony, and it doesn't splatter on the walls and ground properly

Back