BF2 Thread

oh... well that sucks. you are right then, it's the KORD.
better than nothing I suppose, I hope they add more unlockables in future patches, I think it's an awesome idea.

JiMmEh said:
EDIT 2 : If you take a look at the three class selection things for each side:

http://www.totalbf2.com/game/classes/mec.php
http://www.totalbf2.com/game/classes/china.php
http://www.totalbf2.com/game/classes/us.php

You can see the upgradable weapons are the same for each. This kind of makes sense as most of them are weapons which don't originate from either the US, China or erm...yeah. :p

By the way, do you have to unlock the weapons for each army? meaning 21 "unlocks"? :|

Gunner said:
By the way, do you have to unlock the weapons for each army? meaning 21 "unlocks"? :|
No, you just unlock it for the class.

So the rank you get as each class unlocks the weapon for the class? For example, you play as a sniper and you get the sniper rifle only, not the assault rifle for the assault class?

Foxtrot said:
So the rank you get as each class unlocks the weapon for the class? For example, you play as a sniper and you get the sniper rifle only, not the assault rifle for the assault class?

from the link JiMmEh supplied earlier
<<COR>>Zolly: I would like to know more about the special weapons one can unlock while advancing on the global ranking system. What ranks will there be, and what weapons will become available with each rank?
Ben Smith: Players progress through common "enlisted" Ranks from the US Army (private first class, corporal and on up) as they play, and with most promotions they will get a choice to unlock one of seven kit weapons (one unique weapon for each of the seven kits in Battlefield 2). We're keeping these weapons to ourselves until launch, for the most part, but you can expect some fairly interesting variations on the primary kit weapons (special shotguns, assault rifles, submachine guns, etc.).

so I think it's generic which weapon you choose, then again it could be interpereted either way.

honestly I think you pick and choose as you play (gain ranks) regardless of your class.

JiMmEh said:
New Video - http://www.totalbf2.com/ - second news post :)

Edit - Damn you Mr.Redundant!
MWAHAHAHAAHHA too quick for joo!
well played though, well played. :sniper:
:cheers:

also the Machine gun we were discussing is in fact the PKM, not the KORD (which probably translates to PKM heh)
just saw it on the bf2menu vid (I have like every single bf2 vid released, on my HD, I was looking through some again, and saw it)

all the other guns are correct (G3, L-82, G36C, MK3-A2 (jackhammer), M95 (Barrett), *cant read it properly, but it looks like DAO-32* (Striker),

Mr. Redundant said:
and a new community update on the official page, dealing with ranked and unranked play
LINK

Now that's an interesting read. Some quotes from that:

Ranked Servers
Ranked servers will be where the hardcore bump heads and clash knives. All Ranked Servers will be configured to provide the definitive competitive Battlefield experience. Friendly Fire is on, and TK will be punished by default, so all players will need to use their tools wisely and watch out for the tools that have been deployed by their teammates.
Ranked servers will be heavily administrated and have Punkbuster on. The integrity of the stats system is of paramount importance to EA (and of course to those participating in it) and so we will be monitoring things constantly. At the end of the day, Ranked servers will be a safe, regulated environment on which the most competitive players will be spending their time.

Unranked Servers
These servers are the wild cards – every one will be different, set to suit a specific part of our community (that part can be an individual player turned server operator, whole clans or even fan websites).
On these servers, you won’t need to worry about your Commander’s errant artillery strikes, or the mines your buddy left covering each route out of a base. Even if you screw up, nobody’s likely to care more than a couple of seconds – after all there are no long-term consequences.

I'll definitely be playing Ranked Servers in the long run. But I'm starting on an Unranked one, prolly one of the Jolt.UK servers.

just an fyi/warning... that ~230mb video I linked to earlier isn't all that great, looks like the video was taken on a really low end machine, and it sticks constantly, I get enough of that already... don't need more videos of that junk.

download at your own risk (it's pretty boring however, since it looks like it's just the one guy running around driving stuff, flying planes and choppers, all SP no bots)

I don't know the specs of the machine he took the video, but I would assume this is somewhere between low-med detail.

also there is no sound besides the same old bf2 music we all know already, and it simply loops throughout.

Shakermaker said:
I'll definitely be playing Ranked Servers in the long run. But I'm starting on an Unranked one, prolly one of the Jolt.UK servers.
yeah me too.

get some practise on unranked 1s, learning the maps etc.

Mr. Redundant said:
just an fyi/warning... that ~230mb video I linked to earlier isn't all that great, looks like the video was taken on a really low end machine, and it sticks constantly, I get enough of that already... don't need more videos of that junk.

download at your own risk (it's pretty boring however, since it looks like it's just the one guy running around driving stuff, flying planes and choppers, all SP no bots)

I don't know the specs of the machine he took the video, but I would assume this is somewhere between low-med detail.

also there is no sound besides the same old bf2 music we all know already, and it simply loops throughout.

Yeah, the guy could've done some more interesting stuff than just fly around. I suppose if there were bots then there'd be no carrier or MEC airfield though. At least we get to see a good flyover of the entire map.

AmishSlayer said:
Yeah, the guy could've done some more interesting stuff than just fly around. I suppose if there were bots then there'd be no carrier or MEC airfield though. At least we get to see a good flyover of the entire map.

<THIS LINK> was in the newsletter that arrived today. It's a panoramical screenshot of the Dalian Plant map.

NikolaX said:
and here you go 1000 replys in this tread, yes this is reson for my post :p

Shakermaker said:
hehehe, congrats guys. I bet you this thread will have doubled in size before the month is over.

Nabobalis said:
That is not possible

This is reply nr. 1223 and it's two-and-a-half days later. That's an average of almost a 100 posts a day. This is turning into a monster.

Shakermaker said:
This is reply nr. 1223 and it's two-and-a-half days later. That's an average of almost a 100 posts a day. This is turning into a monster.

Yep. It's this year's biggest game yet so I'm not surprised it's this big when ALL talk is in 1 thread :p

We're well on our way to being the biggest thread in HL2.net's history (according to search).

EDIT: We'll have explosions of posts come demo time and even more upon release :D

I wouldn't doubt that by then there'll be a BF2 sub-forum.

I actually think we need a BF2 sub forum even though this is a HL2 site...this needs to get organized. This thread either needs to get split up/people start making new threads or we get a sub forum. Cause Im sick of having to get through these pages and pages just to find the reply to a post I made half an hour ago lol. I mean this thread title is a bit ambiguous. Either we start making individual threads for much more targeted discussions or get a sub forum if mods dont want that.

Mr. Redundant said:
thank ye again (actually there were a bunch more -6- there since I checked the 14 out this morning)

Woah, those 6 added since I last checked. Sweet.

I don't see the ten minute one however...

I checked totalbf2.com and
After playing with their Battlefield 2 at their office, IGN have released a 10 minute high-res preview of the game. Shows us some more jet action along with commentary that desribes some more unexplained features of the game. Right now however you will require a Insider account to download the high resolution version.

Update: It appears they have taken down this video and added 6 other movies.

We will be putting up mirrors as they come! Here is the link.
Thanks to <.kb.>smoker for the heads up!

I MISSED IT.. NOoooooooooooOOOooOoooO :*(

I have the 10 min one. Watching it now.

I liked the other smaller 6 too. The one with the Cobra pilot bailing out with his gunner still in the front...if I were the gunner I'd be pissed. The pilot ran it straight into a building :p

AmishSlayer said:
I have the 10 min one. Watching it now.

I liked the other smaller 6 too. The one with the Cobra pilot bailing out with his gunner still in the front...if I were the gunner I'd be pissed. The pilot ran it straight into a building :p

please please please please please sir, hook a brother up :( I am desperate.

as for the pilot bailing out on the co-pilot, Im thinking it was a bot. (at least I would hope so)

btw in bf2_ivan (ign video with the buggy) you hear some dude say some stuff on the mic, and notice the crispness of the codec?!?!!? THANK YOU!!

freaking valve with their freakin miles codec... learn from BF2, we don't want to sound as though we were talking through a babboons ass!!

MilkMan12 said:
I actually think we need a BF2 sub forum even though this is a HL2 site...this needs to get organized. This thread either needs to get split up/people start making new threads or we get a sub forum. Cause Im sick of having to get through these pages and pages just to find the reply to a post I made half an hour ago lol. I mean this thread title is a bit ambiguous. Either we start making individual threads for much more targeted discussions or get a sub forum if mods dont want that.

My post couldnt have come at a worse time...so Im quoting it. And the fact that I have to do this is another reason why we need a bf2 sub forum or just allow us to make more specific threads.

MilkMan12 said:
My post couldnt have come at a worse time...so Im quoting it. And the fact that I have to do this is another reason why we need a bf2 sub forum or just allow us to make more specific threads.
it's only 8 posts up. however I am sure most of us agree, you should PM a mod/admin for more effect. merely re-quoting yourself is pointless (as your re-quote will end up just as lost as the original, amongst the frenzied Bf2 chatter)

your right...Im sure the admins gave up on this thread as there is no way an admin could possibly keep up with all these posts.

Cool videos. Its times like this that I wish I was still an IGN Insider. But oh well. The game will be out soon enough. :thumbs:

Mr. Redundant said:
please please please please please sir, hook a brother up :( I am desperate.

as for the pilot bailing out on the co-pilot, Im thinking it was a bot. (at least I would hope so)

btw in bf2_ivan (ign video with the buggy) you hear some dude say some stuff on the mic, and notice the crispness of the codec?!?!!? THANK YOU!!

freaking valve with their freakin miles codec... learn from BF2, we don't want to sound as though we were talking through a babboons ass!!

I can't exactly link you to it in any way. The internet here at work is only a little faster than 56k so it took me forever just to d/l it let alone upload it to yousendit.com or something :(

Sorry.

The video is cool though, we see some plane-plane fights, more helo action, tv guided missile action, commander stuff, etc. They actually have footage of an engineer repairing a bridge, a medic healing himself (the radius heal is pretty good), a support guy passing out ammo, a bridge being c4'ed which is nice.

While he talks about the assault class the assault player fires 2 grenades at the top of an enemy tank. A nearby allied tank also hit the enemy tank directly (in the front) and the tank was still running so it looks like grenade dmg will be relatively low (good imo).

It's ok Amish, it's the thought that counts, I appreciate it regardless :)
thanks for filling the rest of us in on the tidbits.

EDIT:

10min one just re-added!!!!!!!!! GOGOGOGOGO

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/677/677882/vids_1.html

see mom, sitting on IGN's vid page clicking the refresh button every 5 seconds DOES PAY!!!

also, there is a NON-insider version for people who do not have it!
:)

it's a preview of BF2, and IT KICKS ASS... omg I thought I couldn't want this game any more than I already did... I was wrong.

the jet fighting/dog fight section is awesome.. I love the new flight system and chaffs.

Amazing video...its perfect. I really am looking forward to this game. It just looks like fun and I like social games too...games like CS and BF2 are very social. I look forward to playing this with my friends on skype yelling at them...it fun.

Back