BF3 @ E3 thread

isn't Valve EA's retail partner? how they **** Valve over like this?
I'm gonna buy retail too noway am I buying a digital copy for $60 when I can the retail for $12 cheaper with my discount.

EA is just Valve distributor. They put the games in boxes and ship them. Not really that close a connection.

As for Origin exclusive. Well I love Steam and Valve but monopolies are bad. At least someone finally has the balls (and capability) to compete with Steam in a serious way. If Origin is as good a programme as Steam then this could be good for the industry to be honest so lets hope it's more Steam than GFWL.

As for Origin exclusive. Well I love Steam and Valve but monopolies are bad. At least someone finally has the balls (and capability) to compete with Steam in a serious way. If Origin is as good a programme as Steam then this could be good for the industry to be honest.

This. While its kinda lame that you'd need two services, its about time Steam got some serious competition to help spur some more innovation. As long as EA doesn't pull a GFWL, it should work out fine. That said, I'd be 0% surprised if they did actually pull a GFWL. My faith in EA knowing what makes a good PC gaming service is very, very low.

Some of those features are making up for all the lame shit. Mounting weapons, incapacitation of vehicles allowing for people to bail out, damaging debris, suppression effects. These are all steps in the right direction.

I think it's still a rip off that Publishers charge retail prices for digital copies.Now they don't have pay Valve a fee and they still want $60. bs imho.

Well shit.

I don't think I'm quite ready to give up my principles and pre-order just yet, but that does look mighty tempting.

60 bucks is a hard sell for me when there is the new Red Orchestra, Iron Front, Deus Ex, and LA Noire all still left for me to get this year. But yeah, otherwise I'd be tempted.

Oh neat they're charging me US$90 on Origin. God, I hate this regional pricing bullshit - a retail copy at full price would be cheaper.

are ALL pre-orders automatically upgraded to the limited edition or just Origin?

Maybe the regular non-limited edition will be on steam?

I hope Origin is decent, but with EA's track record and EA Downloader I can only be pessimistic. They should just use Impulse or something- Impulse really needs more 3rd party devs to get it more popular.

I REALLY want to get the Limited Edition so I can get Return to Karkand and play it the first day, but I REALLY don't want to deal with Origin.

from battlefieldo;

Squad Leader confirmed, 4 Person Squad
Ability to spot a Enemy Squad Leader
Equippable Grenades
Equippable knife as well as quick knife (like BC2)
Support class able to mount bipods and give ammo
Rifleman class has medpack + defibrillator
Ability to change fire modes in multiplayer (semi/burst/auto)
Regenerative health in MP, but suppression effect stops regen (only regen when you aren’t under fire)
Suppression effects from LMG, blur vision

Flashlights can blind the enemy
First Person Animations in Multiplayer
Faction Specific Weapons + Unlocks
Vehicles can be immobilized before being destroyed
Able to opt out of Revives in Multiplayer

3D spotting (?)

all in bold has my hype rising.

Being able to blind people with the flashlight is something I've been wanting in a game for a while. That's awesome.

I knew EA would pull this shit as soon as they announced Origin
looks like I'm buying retail for the first time in YEARS
Origin, booo. I guess i'm buying it in retail.

I love the fact that you can customize your dogtags, but it would be cool if you could customize your knife so that when you stab someone, they can see the knife that killed them.
Hate to say it guys but Origin will be like Steam in the sense that it must be installed and running to play BF3 at all... Anthraxxx you'll be happy to know however that your custom dogtags display on the death screen of every player you kill.
This. While its kinda lame that you'd need two services, its about time Steam got some serious competition to help spur some more innovation. As long as EA doesn't pull a GFWL, it should work out fine. That said, I'd be 0% surprised if they did actually pull a GFWL. My faith in EA knowing what makes a good PC gaming service is very, very low.

Some of those features are making up for all the lame shit. Mounting weapons, incapacitation of vehicles allowing for people to bail out, damaging debris, suppression effects. These are all steps in the right direction.
This is a good point. I have to say it makes me pretty happy to see people like you and knut and Bad^Hat changing tack a little and even betraying a few signs of enthusiasm!

Also, looks like I should cancel my Amazon preorder and just preorder through Origin.

edit: Also ray_man Back to Karkand DLC will not be released at the same time as BF3 but will come a month or two later (this was also confirmed during the stream).

Thought: won't retail copies need to register through Origin to access stats/achievements/whatever else they bind to the front-end? I'm thinking it might be a Steamworks kind of deal. Or not.

Edit: Damnit.

Also, I ain't changing shit. Single player still looks dumb, and that's all I was ever reacting to.

Another edit: Something I haven't heard mentioned explicitly, but can't imagine why it would be removed - bullet drop still in there?

That's how it's going to be. In order to play online at least I'm sure Origin will have to be running... and I'm guessing it will double as DRM like Steam does so it'll need to be always on.

edit: Also ray_man Back to Karkand DLC will not be released at the same time as BF3 but will come a month or two later (this was also confirmed during the stream).

Did they delay this? I always thought it was supposed to come a couple days after release not a couple months.

Did they delay this? I always thought it was supposed to come a couple days after release not a couple months.

Yeah, I was under the impression that those who preordered got to get it first and at no extra charge, but those who didn't had to wait and pay the (likely) $15. Interesting.

Thought: won't retail copies need to register through Origin to access stats/achievements/whatever else they bind to the front-end? I'm thinking it might be a Steamworks kind of deal. Or not.

Edit: Damnit.

Also, I ain't changing shit. Single player still looks dumb, and that's all I was ever reacting to.

Another edit: Something I haven't heard mentioned explicitly, but can't imagine why it would be removed - bullet drop still in there?

Yes, in reference to edit to, bullet drop is still in there.

As for the single player, I would agree with you until I saw the tank battle trailer. I was thoroughly impressed with that and, to me, it shows that the single player does have some true potential to be good.

Also, apparently Steven Spielberg stopped by to check out Battlefield 3:

316463778.jpg

Pretty cool.

The tank battle was pretty spectacular on a technical level (those explosions, damn), but the gameplay? Again, didn't see anything particularly special. At this point it's more or less solidified it's place as a single-play-and-forget campaign the likes of every CoD or MoH game that's come before it.

Oh well, I'll be justifying my purchase on the multiplayer, if I do end up buying.

yeah, still not convinced about the singleplayer and i stand by what i've said before regarding it, but i said a few times i'd be happy to see where the multiplayer goes, and it looks like it's going in the right direction. we'll see.

Tank battle was a big old meh. Nothing we've not seen before, and the only thing impressive about it was the graphical aspect.

I think it's still a rip off that Publishers charge retail prices for digital copies.Now they don't have pay Valve a fee and they still want $60. bs imho.
I heard once that retailers threatened to not stock Valve's games (console versions too) if they undercut them too much with Steam. I don't think EA wants to loose Xbox and PS sales over Origin.

I saw this on the live feed when it happened. The first guy here is hilariously awful at video games.

I laughed hard at the comments in the chat on Ennui's site when that happened. Especially at "wut do spacebar doo?" :LOL:

Actually I was generally highly entertained watching that live stream and the chat yesterday. Multiplayer footage and some of the interviews were interesting and all the funnily awkward moments courtesy of the vet-hosts were made hilarious by peoples' reaction to them in the chat. :D

Well Valve has their HL2 and EA has their BF3. So far Origin uses far more RAM than Steam but this is still an open beta. I left the Store window open on Steam for this pic:
B9s8U.jpg

It basically is the exact same as same for the EULA so no refunds! Three features that makes Origin and Steam different is that on Origin you can use a cell phone to interact with your account and it's built with social networking in mind. You can also connect with XBOX Live and the PSN Network. *Origin also starts up slightly faster than Steam.

i keep seeing this thread bumped but all i see is talk about specs and delivery platforms

pc gamers,

Yeah, I was under the impression that those who preordered got to get it first and at no extra charge, but those who didn't had to wait and pay the (likely) $15. Interesting.

I thought about what I posted and I can sort of see why they would want to delay it a bit. IIRC I heard one of the devs say they want people play the new BF3 maps before people get re-addicted to maps like Karkand and don't give the new maps a chance. Which is fine by me.

so is that all we're getting in terms of MP footage at E3? some crappy over the should cam shit?

I wonder if they even had a map for people to play that had significant vehicles. Those vids showed mainly your typical small scale shooter maps.

I wonder if they even had a map for people to play that had significant vehicles. Those vids showed mainly your typical small scale shooter maps.

Hands-on of the map that is shown during E3. Sounds like your typical three stage rush map from BC2. The tank probably comes in during the third stage. Too bad though that EA isn't showing all the other vehicles. It seems that this demo is very much aimed at MW-fans. EA's strategy in general for BF3 is clearly 'challenge Call of Duty'.

i keep seeing this thread bumped but all i see is talk about specs and delivery platforms

pc gamers,
This should be more to your liking:

A bunch of other hands on impression articles here.

Good video. I like how the squad leader has been re-implemented. I also like suppression. It seems you're getting points for that.

Good video. I like how the squad leader has been re-implemented. I also like suppression. It seems you're getting points for that.

Yes if you are suppressing enemies and a teammate kills one of them you get suppression points for it (possibly on top of assists if you actually damage them). I really want to see how the suppression effect plays out, it seems effective. That and flashlight blindness (apparently flashlights are equippable on all guns not just Engineer SMGs). Also while being suppressed your health does not regenerate like normal. Not sure if it affects health packs, I doubt it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it did. Being able to rain down an unbroken ten-second volley of suppressing fire means the other team isn't doing its job, and deserves to have their healthpack healing halted.

Hopefully they went to extreme lengths to balance the suppression thing. I can see lots of people being that class in order to get assist points in addition to kill points. Think about how quickly a team of LMGs and an engineer could rack up points with them all firing nonstop.

Also while being suppressed your health does not regenerate like normal. Not sure if it affects health packs, I doubt it.

this sounds like it could work really well

Any info on whether the commo-rose will return? A few people in the chat on battlefieldo.com said they submitted that question via twitter, but the hosts of yesterday's presentation never asked about it, claiming there are no more questions (?).

Hopefully they went to extreme lengths to balance the suppression thing. I can see lots of people being that class in order to get assist points in addition to kill points. Think about how quickly a team of LMGs and an engineer could rack up points with them all firing nonstop.

But then everyone will laugh at their accuracy stats, so it balances out ;)

Not sure if it affects health packs, I doubt it.

Hopefully not. When they're being suppressed they should be able to get healed by their medic. The only thing stopping them from being healed back to full health by their medic should be the rest of your squad or another squad moving in and killing them all while you're suppressing them.

Back