BF3 @ E3 thread

Any info on whether the commo-rose will return? A few people in the chat on battlefieldo.com said they submitted that question via twitter, but the hosts of yesterday's presentation never asked about it, claiming there are no more questions (?).

It appears the command rose is not in BF3. A few of the people who played it looked extensively for it and could not find it, and it wasn't on the controls sheets they had at each gaming station. If it is going to be in BF3 they have not added it yet. I'm guessing it's not happening, they seem comfortable with their context sensitive commands. And honestly, I am too, although I would prefer text came on screen in addition to audio (like if you are injured and press Q on a friendly medic, it doesn't just say "Need some health" but also prints it on his screen, cuz in BC2 people tend to ignore voice commands) like it did in BF2.

Welp, didn't know that.

edit:

Problem, MW3? (nominations, not actual awards)

http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield3/blog/e3-awards-nominations-battlefield-3
BF3 Website said:

IGN.com – Best Overall Game
IGN.com – Best Xbox Game
IGN.com – Best PS3 Game
IGN.com – Best PC Game
IGN.com – Best Shooter
IGN.com – Most Anticipated Game
1up.com - Best PC Game
1up.com - Best of Show
GameTrailers - Best Graphics
Shortlist.com - Best Shooter
Shortlist.com - Best Game
GameSpy.com - Best Multiplayer
GameSpy.com - Best Shooter
Game Informer – Best of E3 2011
G4TV – Best of E3 ‘11
G4TV - Best Multiplayer
GamePro – Best FPS
PlayStation: The Official Magazine - Most Valuable Game
GameSpot.com – Most Anticipated Game of E3 2011
GamesRadar – Official Selection, E3 2011 Most Valuable Game
Official Xbox Magazine - Official Selection, E3 2011 Most Valuable Game
PC Gamer - Official Selection, E3 2011 Most Valuable Game
Machinima - Best Shooter
Machinima - Best of Show
Machinima - Best PC
Gamingexcellence.com - Best Shooter
Gamingexcellence.com - Best Console Game
Gamingexcellence.com - Best Graphics
Gamingexcellence.com - Best of Show
Multiplayer.it – Best of E3 2011
GameBlog.fr – B3st of Show Nominee

I already pre-ordered my copy. But one thing I'm upset about is that vehicle customization will find it's way to BF3, and I hated it in BC2 - and commo rose is up in the air.

I think any BF hardcore fans are going to have to accept the fact that alot of aspects from Bad Company and, ultimately, Bad Company 2, will be incorporated due to the success of Bad Company 2 to this day.

It's arguably the best FPS MP experience around these days, so why break a formula?

But yes, it's supposed to be a sequel to a different line of games, so I can see why people would be missing or screaming out for some of the old BF stuff to be incorporated.

I personally WOULD compare it to BC2, everything from the modes to the classes themselves, simply because I think BC2 is DICE's best work so far and I want to see more of it on a grander, more attractive scale.

what is a commo rose?
also vehicle customization is awesome as long as it's not imba and OP

Commo rose is the thing that allows the player to say "Enemy infantry spotted!" or "I need a medic here!" or any other command. It's such a vital part of Battlefield.

To me it's not a question of being overpowered, as it is making vehicle warfare unbalanced. I shoudn't have to choose from a coaxial machine gun or smoke launchers.

Suppovely, each soldier class will have the option for 3 attachments per gun (from hundreds and thousands of attachments), they could do that for the vehicles to balance it out. I can't imagine how ****ed up Jet warfare would be if they didn't give more than one option like choose between AA missiles or flares.

Commo rose is the thing that allows the player to say "Enemy infantry spotted!" or "I need a medic here!" or any other command. It's such a vital part of Battlefield.

To me it's not a question of being overpowered, as it is making vehicle warfare unbalanced. I shoudn't have to choose from a coaxial machine gun or smoke launchers.

Suppovely, each soldier class will have the option for 3 attachments per gun (from hundreds and thousands of attachments), they could do that for the vehicles to balance it out. I can't imagine how ****ed up Jet warfare would be if they didn't give more than one option like choose between AA missiles or flares.
On the other hand, having to choose different vehicle loadouts might mean that you're choosing one of countermeasures, air-to-air weapons, or ATS weapons to be fully loaded-out in your jet, leaving you purposely vulnerable to counters. In my mind it's the same kind of design evolution as FPS games had with the shift from holding every weapon to holding two. You get to pick what you're effective against and what's effective against you.

man they really need to release some REAL new footage...shakycam from people that played at the E3 won't do, I need some YouTube 1080p material.

On the other hand, having to choose different vehicle loadouts might mean that you're choosing one of countermeasures, air-to-air weapons, or ATS weapons to be fully loaded-out in your jet, leaving you purposely vulnerable to counters. In my mind it's the same kind of design evolution as FPS games had with the shift from holding every weapon to holding two. You get to pick what you're effective against and what's effective against you.

I'd perfer the classic Battlefield way, sometimes less is good. Sure, Jet's wouldn't own the ground like they would in BF2... but against AA vehicles and batteries they'd be useless shit like helicopters were in BC2. BF2's only problem was that infantry combat was underwhelming, and if the player wasn't in a vehicle - he was wasting his time. BC2 really improved on the infantry combat (weapons were actually effective and the bullet drop was a nice addition), save for bush wookies and CG rocket spam.

Personally I would keep the old BF system, simplicity is good.

Also, it makes me cry they are bringing back Wake Island yet again - I want Mashtuur City. D:

I don't know if simplicity is better in this case, though. Trying to balance every jet aspect against every countermeasure actually creates imbalance, because the resulting difficulty curve punishes newbies for being inexperienced, while rewarding experienced players by allowing them to overcome every counter on the basis of skill alone. The only way to escape this kind of balance problem is to make a vehicle's abilities and counters individually modifiable, so that you can have hard counters while preserving the tactical impact of a player's choices and skills.

Also, I'm with you on Mashtuur City. I was crushed when it wasn't announced as part of Back To Karkand. I'm hoping that it's the Operation Hastings of Back To Karkand, i.e. a secret until post-release.

I'm with you bacons. So many LAN parties where upon seeing what map we'd be playing next led to random eruptions of "MASHTUUURRRRR!" "mashtuuuurrrrr..." like that part halfway through Master Of Puppets.

I don't know if simplicity is better in this case, though. Trying to balance every jet aspect against every countermeasure actually creates imbalance, because the resulting difficulty curve punishes newbies for being inexperienced, while rewarding experienced players by allowing them to overcome every counter on the basis of skill alone. The only way to escape this kind of balance problem is to make a vehicle's abilities and counters individually modifiable, so that you can have hard counters while preserving the tactical impact of a player's choices and skills.

Also, I'm with you on Mashtuur City. I was crushed when it wasn't announced as part of Back To Karkand. I'm hoping that it's the Operation Hastings of Back To Karkand, i.e. a secret until post-release.

I'd be okay with vehicle unlocks, but only if the player gets to pick from more than one unlock. It balances things out.

In past Battlefield games, they added additional maps (during release for BC2, there was no Heavy Metal, Cold War and Oasis maps), I don't think all released maps will be DLC.

I'm with you bacons. So many LAN parties where upon seeing what map we'd be playing next led to random eruptions of "MASHTUUURRRRR!" "mashtuuuurrrrr..." like that part halfway through Master Of Puppets.

Mashtuur City is nostalgic for me, sure there was plenty of wookie's that would camp by the Hotel and Mosque but I loved the tactical advantages the map had, compared to Strike at Karkand which was a grenade spamfest.

I kind of suspect they are going to end up releasing DLC (or like Stiggy says a kind of Operation Hastings deal where there's a secret fifth map) that will include stuff like Mashtuur City or Road to Jalalabad.

I'm all for it, and while I don't expect free maps like we got from BF2, but seeing how CoD affecting gaming now - it's realistic to expect some kind of DLC. Like you said, Mashtuur City, Road Jalalabad and perhaps Kubra Dam (it would be lovely to see this in Frostbite 2 engine)

I hope at some point they will have some kind of Back to Karkand trailer, my life will be complete.

BF2's only problem was that infantry combat was underwhelming, and if the player wasn't in a vehicle - he was wasting his time. BC2 really improved on the infantry combat (weapons were actually effective and the bullet drop was a nice addition), save for bush wookies and CG rocket spam.

Man, what? The most popular maps are the infantry-oriented city ones. I was mainly an infantry player and I loved it; the only waste of time occured when you found yourself on foot in the middle of nowhere on vast, open maps such as Zatar Wetlands, Kubra Dam or Dragon Valley (especially in 64 player size).

Bullet drop was a nice addition? BF2 has got bullet drop.

I'd say there was less bullet drop in BC2 than in BF2 too.

I do feel infantry combat is better in BC2, but vehicle combat isn't as fun in BC2. Especially the choppers. I want my Cobra back! :(

Man, what? The most popular maps are the infantry-oriented city ones. I was mainly an infantry player and I loved it; the only waste of time occured when you found yourself on foot in the middle of nowhere on vast, open maps such as Zatar Wetlands, Kubra Dam or Dragon Valley (especially in 64 player size).

Bullet drop was a nice addition? BF2 has got bullet drop.

I wasn't talking about the maps, because I loved Strike at Karkand and Mashtuur City. But the guns were very underwhelming, and very hit or miss - even with a short burst of 2-3 bullets.

Bush wookies had incredible accuracy, and it was so easy to get a head shot in the game with a sniper rifle. The SMG's and assault rifles had random firing cones, rather than bullet drop.

I'd say there was less bullet drop in BC2 than in BF2 too.

I do feel infantry combat is better in BC2, but vehicle combat isn't as fun in BC2. Especially the choppers. I want my Cobra back! :(

BC2 ****ed up the choppers in BC2, 2-3 run autcannons were completely useless - especially against armored vehicles.

I wasn't talking about the maps, because I loved Strike at Karkand and Mashtuur City. But the guns were very underwhelming, and very hit or miss - even with a short burst of 2-3 bullets.

I wasn't talking specifically about the maps either. My point was that infantry combat is not a waste of time - people wouldn't be playing the infantry-oriented maps if it wasn't satisfying.

I do agree on the guns though, it's especially noticeable at 30m+ ranges when you're firing in single shot thinking "how many times did I already hit him? why is he still walking?".

I wasn't talking specifically about the maps either. My point was that infantry combat is not a waste of time - people wouldn't be playing the infantry-oriented maps if it wasn't satisfying.

I do agree on the guns though, it's especially noticeable at 30m+ ranges when you're firing in single shot thinking "how many times did I already hit him? why is he still walking?".

The infantry combat has it's high points, but at times it can get very redundant. The first part of Karkand is grenade spamfest with claymores everywhere, and lots of dolphin divers.

BF2's guns had terrible accuracy, but the game was also plagued with gun nerfing (PKM was overpowered and grenade launchers were deadly powerful when the game released). But if BF3 has the infantry combat of BC2 and the vehicle warfare of BF2... BF3 will be the best online shooter ever.

Hit detection was god awful in BF2, that is it at the end of the day, that is the big problem with the game, still to this day.

Back