Black Mesa Official Trailer Released

The first time I played it, I didn't know that you could sneak past it, so I always lobbed some grenades in the other direction and RAN LIKE **** to the ladders.

Wait, so like, is this factor actually implemented in solving the Tentacle puzzle? Like if you don't fire your weapon at it, it doesn't hear you or something?

I've never noticed any suggestion to the "hearing" theory... and I always thought the red thing on the top of each tentacle was it's eyeball...
What.

I absolutely refuse to believe that you did not notice this in the original game. Did you just run through the tentacle chamber? :D

Did you just run through the tentacle chamber? :D
Yes, every single time I've played that level. Throw some grenades at the base of the tentacle causing it to retreat for a bit then run like mad, repeat as needed.

"Be quiet, This thing hears us!" ? Generic Barney Number 532

Crouching worked great, but the ladders always used to screw me over, because u step off the last rung.

Loved the trailer.

I'll be ****ed if i'm gonna pay money for the bastard though :|

Nah it's definitely something. The PP.

I know you feel like your saying something, but the reality is your not. Simply saying Post production doesn't actually mean much to most people beyond an empty aside. Perhaps highlight what parts have been subjected to PP, and in which way.

To be fair, I think Valve should put up Half-Life: Source on steam for free, and have an option to download BM with the Base Source Content

I do like the Roach tech they are implementing in the mod

They arnt gonna give the Source engine away for free, that makes no sense, anyway if people are in any way interested in a Half-Life remake, then surely they would already own a source game, its not like they arent easy to get hold of.

The best I think they could wish for, is IF it turns out to be a really great example of Half-Life 1 with enough customer interest, then valve could offer to bundle it with the 360 version of Episode 3, in a similar way to how the Portal Flash Pack got added into Portal: Still Alive, that would make some sense, as the 360 half-life fans dont have the original.

I watched some tutorial vids on the Source camera, and you can make a movie look like it was PP. The thing is though that it's very difficult to use it effectively. ;) Yeah throw some nades at the tentacle base and run I thought until I found a video during it the silenced way. I never listened to those Barney anyways. I think that it was a playtester thing but it's good gameplay in knowing that you don't have that much time knowing they will come back up quickly again. So it adds that fear element. Also I never thought the tentacle creature had a base to it! I thought it was like the Hydra or something with multiple heads.

dude, how did you solve that puzzle in hl1 then? The technique was to crawl around the blast pit so as to not make any noise, and throw grenades the other way to distract the tentacles.

What.

I absolutely refuse to believe that you did not notice this in the original game. Did you just run through the tentacle chamber? :D

You guys are tricking me :(

...... Or not.

Essentially, what I did every time was run through the tentacle pit while giving it two shot gun blasts to the tentacle closest to me, making it go back into the pit for around 3-5 seconds, giving me enough time to run and crawl up one of the ladders, repeat.......

No wonder that part of the game was the hardest to me.

Wow, that looks amazing... ly pre-rendered!

The best I think they could wish for, is IF it turns out to be a really great example of Half-Life 1 with enough customer interest, then valve could offer to bundle it with the 360 version of Episode 3, in a similar way to how the Portal Flash Pack got added into Portal: Still Alive, that would make some sense, as the 360 half-life fans dont have the original.

Cannot and would not happen.

This benefits both party without having to drop a dollar sign on the box.

Valve now has a rehashed version of their masterpiece, and this masterpiece's sequel did not get the full recognition because the original game was too outdated. Hence, expanding the HL franchise by allowing Halo fans or Doom fans to experience what the "best game ever made" is like, when given better graphics.

The Black Mesa team is already getting a lot of recognition for their work. If this comes out succesfully, they'll land a job in any gaming company in no time. Gearbox might even ask these guys to recreate their expansions (although I'm doubtful, since whether the expansions are Canon or not is still yet to be decided by Valve).

No dollar needed, but heavy recognition that will help both parties in the long term.

Last I heard the Gearbox expansions were technically canon, but irrelevant to HL2 and beyond so far.

I know you feel like your saying something, but the reality is your not. Simply saying Post production doesn't actually mean much to most people beyond an empty aside. Perhaps highlight what parts have been subjected to PP, and in which way.

Point things out? The whole video was PP'd. I don't care about "most people".

Lovely trailer.

Point things out? The whole video was PP'd. I don't care about "most people".
You can see how the PP makes things look a lot more exciting... that Tentacle sequence has lots of nice touches, but the tentacle's movement seems rather too rigid in ways... shaky cam makes the whole thing that bit more tense.

Well, in fairness to Valve, they've done a few other things since HL2...

I am not complaining that BM comes before Ep 3, just an observation. I just ca't help but think of Ep 3 as a milestone date for the HL franchise,

The Houndeyes are superb! One of the best enemies ever. I really hope to see them in future HL games.

You can see how the PP makes things look a lot more exciting... that Tentacle sequence has lots of nice touches, but the tentacle's movement seems rather too rigid in ways... shaky cam makes the whole thing that bit more tense.

Yep. It's an unfair representation of the mod.

Then don't speak. :dozey:

Sorry, I'll jump on the bandwagon now.

I thought that was an excellently made trailer. Mad props to whoever made that, they've got talent. I was also quite pleasantly surprised to see what seems to be ingame footage. I'd like to know personally to what extent that trailer is "doctored" though. I remember in the past BM released screenshots posed in GMod... how much of this trailer is representative of what is currently running ingame in their current internal build, and how much of it is embellishment? It did its job as a trailer well, but I'd really just like to see some pure, uncut, real gameplay footage.

Please, stop with the condescending smiley and get over it.

Well as far as the name goes, I can remember a long time ago when they called themselves Half-Life Source or something like that, and Valve kindly asked them to rename, and Black Mesa: Source was born.

There's no way they can charge for this mod, period. I'm not gonna pretend to be an IP expert but it's fairly safe to say that selling this as a HL1 remake is completely out of the question, and I sincerely doubt that has been on their minds.

I'm sure however if they are smart they will accept paypal donations to keep the site going and a not for profit status going.

Hell these days you don't even have to host your own content, just a forum. All videos can be uploaded to youtube, mod downloads to fileplanet.com and others. If its good enough Valve will throw you on steamworks and you get free updating services.

The trailer was awesome but it's just a trailer.

That doesn't mean nothing with the gameplay.

Please, stop with the condescending smiley and get over it.

I'm not the one making the song and dance about the PP. So they used bloom to smooth it out. No big deal to me, I just find it hilarious others do. :rolleyes:

HD trailer looks good though. Worth getting.

I'm not the one making the song and dance about the PP. So they used bloom to smooth it out. No big deal to me, I just find it hilarious others do. :rolleyes:

HD trailer looks good though. Worth getting.

Do you like being deceived?

Well as far as the name goes, I can remember a long time ago when they called themselves Half-Life Source or something like that, and Valve kindly asked them to rename, and Black Mesa: Source was born.
It was originally called 'Black Mesa Source'. The instruction was for them to drop the 'Source' part of the title as that is a Valve trademark and is affixed to many official valve products. 'Half-Life Source' is one of those, a port of the original version of Half-Life 1 to the Source engine with a few benefits like physics, water texturing and better lighting.

The result is that the mod is officially called 'Black Mesa', though the 'S' still lingers in the mod's official logo. I actually find it kind of hard to refer to it as 'Black Mesa' for some reason...

To all those who get disappointed when Black Mesa isn't so finely processed upon release: drink lots of coffee. This will emulate shaky cam and make you extra tense in twitch-shooty gunfights.

Actually, this reminds me... Half-Life 2 looked far more awesome through the camcorders that the internet gaming sites smuggled into E3 2003 showings. HDR lighting pretty much emulated the effect though :p

Do you like being deceived?

Shit I guess I must of missed the meeting where people suddenly decided trailers really were actually indicative of final product, and put aside their usual levels of quiet skepticism. Colour me bad for not attending that particular geek meet. :dozey:

That is sooo cool.
is it like the first part of HL1 with better graphics and stuff?
:p

Don't make this go down the track of the last one Kadayi

In this mod i don't like same faces/models like in HL1, it's stupid.

Shit I guess I must of missed the meeting where people suddenly decided trailers really were actually indicative of final product, and put aside their usual levels of quiet skepticism. Colour me bad for not attending that particular geek meet. :dozey:

I'm not colouring you anything. All I'm pointing is that the video has been post processed, you don't have to get defensive.

Back