Black Mesa scientists in front of Borealis...

Those two pictures are similar in some respects, but i think they are too different to be the same place. I think its a seperate office or something, i really think that if it was supposed to be the same room from the original half-life they would have put more effort into making it look the same, you know how good Valve usually is at paying attention to detail.

borealisfilmslide001wo7.jpg

So.. were is this in game?

Lmao! No, it's totally from the game... because it's not like you can see the badly cut out edges on the scientists.

I'm wondering that myself, I've never seen this photo. I almost want to say it is a part of GLaDOS' slideshow at the end of Portal...

What bothers me more is that the scientists in the photo were cropped from the Black Mesa group photo in Kleiner's lab. I'd HOPE it wasn't laziness on the designer's part and is some indication of a deeper connection between Black Mesa and Aperature.

I don't know if this has been discussed before but I noticed that two scientists from the photo in Isaac's laboratory (presenting various scientist from Sector C Anomalous Materials laboratories) are in a photo of Borealis docked in presented after the conversation of Judith and Eli in White Forest Rocket Facility.

Is it part of the trassmission? On a desk? Even in that room?

Did evryone from AM make it out of Black Mesa together or something?

I'm pretty sure they just recycled those scientists and they aren't supposed to actually be the same guys. They are only intended to be seen for a split second and not extracted from the GCF's and analyzed after all :)

I would like to think that if their intent was not to have it inspected they would have used different models of scientists that we haven't seen before, for the sake of avoiding suspicion, but alas, they did not.

a big,big,big mystery, maybe the 2 guys are some spys working from aperture or maybe is the contrary

I've just realised that the person scribbled out isn't Breen, but is Magnusson. Kleiner couldn't stand to be around him that even his face was a distraction :cheers:

To Breens left is Magnasusn.

The guy second from the right is Gman...

L0LZ!

*bans self*

Magnusson is the one next to Breen, as slick's jaw and cheek bones are totally dissimiliar to the ones Magnusson has.

Also, the photo is not anything deeper, it's just the Borealis with two Aperture scientists in front of it. VALVe simply chose not to shoot two additional models for it. Blame the technical designer. ;P

Magnusson is slick - the guy on the far right, I think.

No, he's not. Compare the jaw and overall structure of the face - you'd find it hard to find two more diverse individuals.

Magnusson is the one left of Kleiner and right of (I'm guessing) Breen.

Which level was this?

its right after you come up the elevator with the vortigaunt after getting the vortessance thing. i can get you a map name if you need it, but anytime you see something on a camera or there there is an intermission (such as the GMan's) the things you see during them are usually built into the map somewhere (i.e. arctic base, what I believe is the Black Mesa Lobby)

its right after you come up the elevator with the vortigaunt after getting the vortessance thing. i can get you a map name if you need it, but anytime you see something on a camera or there there is an intermission (such as the GMan's) the things you see during them are usually built into the map somewhere (i.e. arctic base, what I believe is the Black Mesa Lobby)

where, exactly, is it in the room?

where, exactly, is it in the room?

you use no clip to go through the walls into what i believe is referred to as the void of the map and if you look around there are "floating" blocks and if you go to them they are the areas Gman is in during his intermission. Of course, if you are on the console you are not able to do this because there is no, no clip in the console versions.

Is it in the black mesa area, the judith transmission area, or the white forest silo area?

the person with the borealis image still didnt say where that picture was found. Where was it located?

Is it in the black mesa area, the judith transmission area, or the white forest silo area?

its in the place when you fight all of the antlions with the vortigaunts...(then you go to get the vortessance thing and when you get back the vortigaunts start their little revival ceremony. this is when you need to go through the wall, using noclip, before the gman starts his "Doctor Freeman..." bit)

you can do it during the mossman transmission scene too, you go through the set of monitors they are watching it on and the arctic base place is up there.

I was refering to witch block in the void its in. Thanks for the information, I'll go look again.

I was refering to witch block in the void its in. Thanks for the information, I'll go look again.

if you see a block go through it, there all in the gmans flash intermission thing, if you go to one your not looking for, find another, lol.

its in the place when you fight all of the antlions with the vortigaunts...(then you go to get the vortessance thing and when you get back the vortigaunts start their little revival ceremony. this is when you need to go through the wall, using noclip, before the gman starts his "Doctor Freeman..." bit)

you can do it during the mossman transmission scene too, you go through the set of monitors they are watching it on and the arctic base place is up there.
If thats where the picture is of the scientists standing in front of the borealis, I am not seeing it. Where is this
borealisfilmslide001wo7.jpg

in game?

The desk g-man is sitting at during his monologue is NOT the same one from Half-Life 1.

If this were true, if Valve just wanted to update the look but make sure it was the same place...

Why, then, in HL2, in the very opening g-man monologue, did it show clips taken DIRECTLY from HL1? It's not like they didn't have the technology to recreate the test chamber a-la Black Mesa: Source...

There is nothing to suggest that this desk g-man is sitting at is even IN Black Mesa. For all we know, it could be in Aperture Science Labs. It could be at the Arctic base. It could even be g-mans personal HQ. Don't jump the gun on something, drawing random conclusions just because there was a Black Mesa logo on the screen... there were a lot of things on that screen pertaining to what he was talking about.

EDIT:

And the scientists standing in front of Borealis... that's a horrible chop job if I ever saw one. Look at the text. Look at the ship. That's not a container ship.

The desk g-man is sitting at during his monologue is NOT the same one from Half-Life 1.

If this were true, if Valve just wanted to update the look but make sure it was the same place...

Why, then, in HL2, in the very opening g-man monologue, did it show clips taken DIRECTLY from HL1? It's not like they didn't have the technology to recreate the test chamber a-la Black Mesa: Source...

There is nothing to suggest that this desk g-man is sitting at is even IN Black Mesa. For all we know, it could be in Aperture Science Labs. It could be at the Arctic base. It could even be g-mans personal HQ. Don't jump the gun on something, drawing random conclusions just because there was a Black Mesa logo on the screen... there were a lot of things on that screen pertaining to what he was talking about.

EDIT:

And the scientists standing in front of Borealis... that's a horrible chop job if I ever saw one. Look at the text. Look at the ship. That's not a container ship.

I believe the place WAS the one from Half Life, albeit a darker, more depressing version of it created by the G-Man.

If thats where the picture is of the scientists standing in front of the borealis, I am not seeing it.

not what im talking about, im talking about the GMan being in Black Mesa and the Arctic Base, i believe that picture if from right after the transmission finishes and Kleiner says "wait theres something else here" i believe its one of the pictures that go flashing by. I also thing they got the picture by extracting it from a game file, maybe?

I believe the place WAS the one from Half Life, albeit a darker, more depressing version of it created by the G-Man.

I am almost - in fact, I AM 100% sure that it's not. There is no reason to believe that it is. No reason at all.

Evidence supporting the idea that it's NOT:

1. Valve used clips directly from HL1 in a g-man monologue in the past. Why would they change now?

2. The layout is vaguely similar at best, not nearly closely related enough to assume they were the same. If the Black Mesa logo never appeared on the screen I bet 99% of you would never think it was Black Mesa.

3. G-man talked about a lot of things, all of which appeared on the screen in the back ground. Just because a BM logo appeared on the screen does not mean it had anything to do with the room he was in.

Now, let's examine the evidence supporting the idea that it IS Black Mesa:

1. A Black Mesa logo was seen on the screen.

anything else?

Is anyone going to discuss why Eli and Kleiner were on the monitors in that room?

1. Valve used clips directly from HL1 in a g-man monologue in the past. Why would they change now?

Because they can. And because plugging an HL2 model of the G-Man into an HL1 BSP map would look retarded.

2. The layout is vaguely similar at best, not nearly closely related enough to assume they were the same. If the Black Mesa logo never appeared on the screen I bet 99% of you would never think it was Black Mesa.

Actually, it's the first thing I thought.

3. G-man talked about a lot of things, all of which appeared on the screen in the back ground. Just because a BM logo appeared on the screen does not mean it had anything to do with the room he was in.

Valid enough point, but I think their intentions were pretty clear. It's similar enough that I believe it can be considered a mere reimagining of the old reception room.

But who the **** cares. Seriously. It's not like the little historical nod matters one god damn shit in the direction of the game's story. It doesn't break anything. It's kinda neat. So some people think it's Black Mesa and others don't. Any "debate" going further than that is absolutely trivial. You might as well argue about the color of Alyx's panties.

Back