Black mesa source is coming to steam as a retail product(will cost money)

Skyace65

Vortigaunt
Reaction score
now since valve time hasn't posted any news on the front page and i just added some information to the "minute with half-life" video and there still isn't a front page article, i figured I'd make this.

so basically, black mesa source will come to steam as a retail product(http://forums.blackmesasource.com/showthread.php?t=17088) don't get out the pitchforks and torches yet though. according to the developers a free version will still be available(and updated) the steam version however will consist of many upgrades that the free version won't be capable of, so your definitely getting your moneys worth. one of the main things mentioned is they are upgrading the game engine to the full version of source, we can assume this means linux, mac and oculus rift support, the devs of OBM and guard duty have already confirmed that for their game since they are upgrading to the 2013 engine version which allows this to be possible.

It would probably be accurate to assume that valve will also give the guys making operation black mesa and guard duty the same treatment if they want it. hopefully those 2 release soon as well. and hopefully one day the 2 teams(tripmine and black mesa team) get together and share assets so the games feel as connected as the expansion packs originally did. But I digress.

my opinion on all of this? It's a mixed blessing, while a lot of work went into the mod, no doubt about it, there were some key flaws I fear may turn people away from the franchise if they think BM:S is the definitive half-life experience

the weapon and enemy balancing, anyone whose played the mod knows that the weapon and enemy balancing is changed from the original. In my personal opinion most of the changes have been for the worse, especially with the grunts AI. and we have no conformation if any of it will changed before going to steam.

If it isn't changed i think the creators should put in a disclaimer on the steam release saying "this is a fan made recreation of the original half-life, level design, weapon and enemy balancing has been changed from the original, for the official experience play the original"

but that's not to say there isn't any good in this. the engine upgrade should hopefully make the load times between sections faster(which is a large problem right now) and with how well things are going between valve and them maybe they would give permission for them to add in an original soundtrack option to the game

we'll just have to wait and see the final release before we can judge it

EDIT: edited out source 2 theory after it was confirmed false

I had a chance to get closer look at insides of OBM and GD, They are nowhere near completion.

As for source 2 for BM:S I would love to belive it.

Their statements are not clear.

They say they're forced to move "another" engine while free version is updated to SDK 2013. But they can't disclose this engine ATM due to licence agreement. Then they say it's not Source 2. Probably they're working with Unreal Engine.

Lame attempt to make a quick buck imo

at least they put effort into it, some of it may be misguided but they definitely earned the right to sell it with how much effort they put into it as long as they can fix their problems

They say they're forced to move "another" engine while free version is updated to SDK 2013. But they can't disclose this engine ATM due to licence agreement. Then they say it's not Source 2. Probably they're working with Unreal Engine.
When did they say it's not Source 2? Personally, I don't think it's very likely that they're working with Source 2, but I don't recall them explicitly saying it isn't.

Also, their official post from two days ago specifically states that they now have "full access to the Source engine" thanks to the licensing of the game engine (as opposed to the mod toolset), so I can't imagine they're working with Unreal now, especially since all the assets were built for Source.

Copy pasted from official Black Mesa forum:
Your-name-here /Lead Developer said:
That's correct. We're not on Source 2. Yes we had to change engines twice. We ported from 2007 to 2013. Then we went from 2013 to another Source engine. No we're not going to sell this game for $80. Official status on TextFAMGUY1's maps still stands. They will be put on the Steam Workshop (if/when that gets implemented) and officially supported via those means. Not to say that won't change but that's the stance as of now.

Hope this clears some things up. .

I thought only SPUF was dumb enough to believe BM would use Valve's next gen engine, I'm wrong. The entire community reeks of stupidity, how could anyone believe that Valve would let 3rd party developer/modders use their engine first? Jesus christ...

Then that's disappointing... is it at least playable from start to finish?

I don´t think it is. From what I remember, they only have parts of the game, which are so so playable. They had only one animator at the time I talked to them, too.

It really surprised me considering how long the game has been in development.

Thanks for the information Gemini, I'm unpleasantly surprised too :(

You have to admit, it's hard to believe that the first game to use Source 2 will not be made by Valve.

I doubt it uses Source 2 but, Nobody said it has to be the first game.

You have to admit, it's hard to believe that the first game to use Source 2 will not be made by Valve.

I just believe it may one of that games. Not first. They say they went from SDK 2013 to "another Source engine". I really wanna know what "another Source engine" is.

I thought only SPUF was dumb enough to believe BM would use Valve's next gen engine, I'm wrong. The entire community reeks of stupidity, how could anyone believe that Valve would let 3rd party developer/modders use their engine? Jesus christ...

The fools on the Black Mesa forums waited 8+ years for a mod. I'm not surprised that most of them believe it

I know it sounds dumb, but its been over a year since black mesa was greenlighted but was never posted. I thought it was possible then that they were working with valve to release around the same time as Half-Life 3. Now I am convienced valve is working with Black Mesa. If they were charging for the remake of half-life they would have a lawsuit on their hands, they were forced by valve to change the name from Black Mesa Source to just Black Mesa at one point...but wait they don't have a lawsuit. Infact they are using a new source engine not available at the moment? The game will also be sold on this new source engine for money? There is alot of smoke with this is all I am saying.

I know it sounds dumb, but its been over a year since black mesa was greenlighted but was never posted. I thought it was possible then that they were working with valve to release around the same time as Half-Life 3. Now I am convienced valve is working with Black Mesa. If they were charging for the remake of half-life they would have a lawsuit on their hands, they were forced by valve to change the name from Black Mesa Source to just Black Mesa at one point...but wait they don't have a lawsuit. Infact they are using a new source engine not available at the moment? The game will also be sold on this new source engine for money? There is alot of smoke with this is all I am saying.

Who told you that nonsense that they are using a Source not available at the moment and new? They are just using a branch newer than the Orange Box one, likely Portal 2 engine.

Copy pasted from official Black Mesa forum:
Your-name-here /Lead Developer said:
That's correct. We're not on Source 2. Yes we had to change engines twice. We ported from 2007 to 2013. Then we went from 2013 to another Source engine. No we're not going to sell this game for $80. Official status on TextFAMGUY1's maps still stands. They will be put on the Steam Workshop (if/when that gets implemented) and officially supported via those means. Not to say that won't change but that's the stance as of now.

Hope this clears some things up. .

This bothers me. It basically seems to say that they will do just about everything they can to make sure custom levels that put Surface Tension back into the game, is in the game as easy as possible, but without actually having it be included by default which would then necessitate paying a guy for his hard work.

OBM and Guards Duty have the same "new" engine to be ported to.

Funny part is, when I asked if it is Source 2, I got the answer: " The engine is called Source, not Source 2 "

Not gonna start another speculation...(But I wanna so badly)

This bothers me. It basically seems to say that they will do just about everything they can to make sure custom levels that put Surface Tension back into the game, is in the game as easy as possible, but without actually having it be included by default which would then necessitate paying a guy for his hard work.

yeah the guy deserves it. I was really surprised with just how fast he put the cut sections back into the game, I mean if i was with black mesa i would have asked the guy to join the team

I don´t think it is. From what I remember, they only have parts of the game, which are so so playable. They had only one animator at the time I talked to them, too.

It really surprised me considering how long the game has been in development.

well that's disappointing :( I wish that the Trip Mine and black mesa team would team up together and pool their assets together for the games, as well as some level design so the sections in the expansions that crossed will be recognizable to people who've played both remakes

Won't buy it and I hope nobody else does

Won't buy it and I hope nobody else does
Whether you like Black Mesa or not, there's absolutely no denying that a HUGE amount of effort went into the mod, and I think that the money they make will be well deserved.

Yeah there is a lot of quality models, art, and voice work done. I really hope that people get paid appropriately. When you have a dev cycle that's nearly a decade long how do you compensate people who worked on the game for the first 4 years but then quit?

When you have a dev cycle that's nearly a decade long how do you compensate people who worked on the game for the first 4 years but then quit?

They don't, and they aren't planning to.

some food for thought. how would you guys feel about other half-life related mods getting the same treatment as BMS?(can be retail and uses full engine) there are a lot of half-life mods that will hopefully be released remakes and otherwise. OBM, Guard Duty, Wilson Chronicles, Opposing Force 2, Minerva which is released(not saying charge for Minerva)

The hate that people are having because they are trying to sell thier mod on the steam platform is unjustified and people jumping to a conclusion without actually thinking about what is going on. It takes alot of effort to build a mod like this and if they hope to continue working on future installments like the Xen world in a more reasonable amount of time they need the financial support, otherwise it may take more years then its worth before we see the xen world game. The way i see it, the more financle support they get here the sooner and better the xen world release would be.

whats your problem guys? I dont get it really. Black Mesa was great. I still prefer the original of course, but it was freaking awesome. I would pay 20€ for the mod. When they make it better thanks to full access to Source, hell even better. These guys brought back the most legendary game ever and thats the way you thank them? Especially Mogi67.
I only hope they make better gun animations and sounds, that was the worst thing in BM for me. Also its very unfortunate that they dont have Surface Tension and OaR in the main game by default.

For all people complaining: THERE IS STILL THE FREE VERSION. (which will be updated too)

It was pretty fun, I didn't say it was a bad game. What does having "full access to source" mean, exactly?

Back