BoB no more :o

I was following most of this on somethingawful and the goonfleet related forums.

They basically own space now.

Goddamn. Things like this are the reason EVE is so cool.

Could someone explain this to me. I know bits and pieces about EVE but this is confusing me greatly D:

http://myeve.eve-online.com/news.asp?a=single&nid=2737&tid=7 - News fresh off the press.

"A director in Black Nova Corp decided he no longer liked BOB.

He talked to some goons

This director also had an Alt in the BoB Alliance executor corp, with director privileges there.

He stole everything from the BNC corp hangers, 15+ dreads, plus billions in other items

He then kicked all corps from BoB and disbanded the Alliance from the executor corp.

The Goons then created a corporation, Band of Brothers, which means if BoB reforms, they cannot even use their same name.

Results:
- All Bob Sovienty is Lost.
- Including:
- All Jump Bridges Down
- All Cyno Jammers down
- All Capital Ship Construction Bays Offline (pos modules to build titans and motherships)"

Bascily, these guys have lots over 6 years of hard work becoming the biggest alliance in the game to be destroyed by some director changing sides and pressing the "disband alliance button"

They had a hold on a massive part of space, which has become a massive free for all.

This game sounds pretty intense, despite it's cost of having no life.

Thought this had something to do with the Band of Brothers miniseries and I was like "...What?".

EVE is certainly interesting to read about, can't say the same for actually playing it though.

Not really. The spymaster who reportedly pulled it off doesn't even play much himself apparently.

That's hilarious.

The group takedown by the Guiding Hands Society is more epic though. But this wins in Lulz terms.

Bah don't name your thread "BoB no more". This is amazing though. I gotta play this game.

Remember, remember, the 5th of February:

v-for-vendetta-movie-x1.jpg

influence.png

That is show brutal, thats how much space these guys lost due to being screwed by the goons. Check down the left hand side. Poor guys.

It's going to be interesting to see the resulting power struggles.

But honestly the BoB corps should get their act together, quickly reform an alliance and fight for what they've lost. They must still have far more resources in those regions than anyone else. It's a huge blow, but it doesn't have to be fatal.
Of course, politics ain't ever that simple. I'm sure there's a lot of political infighting going on among (former) BoB corps right now too.

The have lost all their cyno jammers to stop capital fleets jumping into their systems, they also lost all their pos's.

But from what I'm to understand quite a lot of their stuff is keped in NPC stations as they are safer to some extent. Perhaps they have lost space by the corps within the alliance and hopfly a lot of their gear is left in tact.

I just wonder if they now have the funds and resorces to rebuild what is lost. I bet there is a massive swarm of players heading to the delve and querious reigons to nab up what ever they can, its going to be swarming with hostiles out there looting what they can.

Oh it's certainly a monumental setback, just not necessarily K.O.
Gonna be even more interesting to see what they do than see what everyone else does.

See, this is what makes EVE so appealing. I downloaded the demo when I read about the other spy thing that happened... and now this...

I think stuff like this happens quite a bit but much more so in the smaller corps/alliances and no one hears of it. Somthing like this though is just so big, this is probly one of the biggest things that have happened in the game! :rolling:

Definitely, I heard Obama is going to step in. The UN are sending aid to the members left out in the cold too. No one has died yet...but it's early days.

Guys I need some help here. Contact my guy "James Forest". I completed the tutorial missions and now there is nothing to do but the same tutorial agents. They all look the same so I guess they are robots. What agents can I work for?

Hool10,

I'ma gunna add you because its easier to talk in game wile we are both up to something :)

I'm from UK here and will probly be on around 10ish for some latenight pwnage and will give you all the help you need :)

Also I should be on over weekend to help get you going and that.

I think I'll resubscribe this week.

Guys I need some help here. Contact my guy "James Forest". I completed the tutorial missions and now there is nothing to do but the same tutorial agents. They all look the same so I guess they are robots. What agents can I work for?

I had that same problem when i first started eve too, but then i found some more agents after a few days.

You play it as much as you want to, despite popular belief you can actually do this with MMO's.

so its like the leader of a big guild that owned a huge chunk of space defected to other group and the whole guild was disbanded and now is a free zone and everyone is going to get theyr chunks?

lol this game looks interesting

There's been a big debate about this at RPS. I don't play EVE, but game mechanics that allow one person to inflict that kind of damage unchecked against thousands of other players are just plain broken, regardless of how it's spun.

Sure it makes for a great read, but plain truth of the matter is, players investment in the game shouldn't be subject to the whimsy of one individual to that extent, and a lack of safeguards (alerts/multi-votes) is a fatal design flaw on the part of the developers. Sure people take these sorts of games way too seriously, but it's their fascination and they should be afforded a degree of safety in their actions by the developers.

@RJMC

It wasn't the leader, but a lower level director, who basically ****ed over everyone, and there was nothing anyone else could do to stop him apparently (I guess anyone who could of stopped him was offline at the time). Years of effort and innumerable man hours pissed away because some guy didn't feel 'loved' enough apparently. :rolleyes:

You play it as much as you want to, despite popular belief you can actually do this with MMO's.

He meant that you cant play it and get anywhere in them without loosing your entire life.

Anyone who says otherwise plays MMOs too much and has no life. :arms:

I remember stuff like this happening in my Day of Defeat clan gaming years. It was all very dramatic and exciting, despite me and a few friends who stuck together getting screwed over. I really thought the power struggles and betrayals made things more fun, but some people take shit way too personally and eventually the drama just turned into an all out hatefest, which is why I no longer do the clan thing. But really, I miss the old days where games let you get your ass kicked. Remember pre-tamriel Ultima Online? Fuuuuuck yeaaaaaah! You could be totally ruined with the flick of one person's finger. It happened to me several times, but the danger made the game exciting.

Yeah Stormy got me up to speed and I'm owning. I'm used to the drama because of ogame.org. Anywho I think I'm gonna cancel Netflix and opt for Eve. :) *Ogame is NOTHING like Eve and this is a new video for Ogame:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peWnoAGnTp4 Ogame is basically a lame text based game and everything is under a countdown clock. Lies that video is, lol! Plus I'm still butt hurt from the drama in the game and me getting nuked literally.

**This is Ogame:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCQRwMCZjSY&feature=related

Exciting gameplay isn't it?

I find it absolutely retarded that one person in a corporation can dismantle the entire thing. Sorry but there really should be a mandatory vote for things like that.

Eve fails.

EVE really intrigues me. I'm willing to give it patience. But events like this, despite being cool to read, aren't something I want to be under constant threat from. I can understand some of its more punishing aspects, but I would like some safe measures or at least a security net to keep things from getting too ****ed up. I guess that's part of the game's appeal, but I'm not sure I can dig it.

But it's maintained a solid and loyal player base. Who am I to tell them how to make their game.

This is what can happen to a real corporation in life, and it happened here. surprised it hadn't happened sooner. Need to be able to trust your officers.

Actually, real corporations are run primarily by an assortment of the most invested stock owners (if it's a public corp). Therefor, any corporate related decisions are run by the investors first. Corporate owners can pretty much run a corporation into a ground, but there are insurances for investors and federal punishments for offenders.

Not if the offender gives all the money to the USSR and runs there before anyone knows it.

This is what can happen to a real corporation in life, and it happened here. surprised it hadn't happened sooner. Need to be able to trust your officers.

A corporation is a very specific form of commercial enterprise say Vs a private company, and the idea that one person alone in a corporation could cause it to self destruct in this manner is a falsehood. Corporations are run by boards collectively.

Where I'm employed we have a board of directors. All policy is agreed by them, all promotions are agreed by them and unless a proposal is highly favourable/unopposed it will go to a vote. If the board are unhappy with the general conduct of another member or the CEO they are also well with their rights to propose a vote of no confidence and if it is passed the person can be voted off the board (happened a while back to our Chairman).

I agree that its pretty shit that one person can ruin 6 years of work over a matter on 10 minutes and I would imagen now this has happened on such a large scale some kind of measures will be put into some of the next patches to stop it from happening again.

My guess is CCP just didn't see this kind of thing happening and therefore didn't put in any counter measures to stop it from happening because it really sucks that so much work has gone down the drain.

But the general consensus at the moment is BoB will reform under another name and will most likely gain back at least some of what has been taken from them. These guys where in the position that they where in because they are great tactical and logistical players and I'm sure they will be back in action over the coming months.

It has really made the game go pretty mental at the moment and made much of the north pretty unstable, goons are trying to move into delve (where bob lived) along with every other tom, dick and harry that want to try and nab some of the goodies.

There is also the fact that bob had been supplying a large number of super capitals to other alliances, gotta wonder how much thats going to effect the markets, might see some pretty crazy price rockets.

All pretty exciting at the moment, the effects of this could really change the face of the game forever, this is going to be the start of a massive power struggle as all the big alliances try and nab up bobs systems :p :bounce:

Yeah they've never lived that down.

The cool thing is that territory is still going to be pretty damn fluid when the next patch hits which was meant to make territory control more difficult anyway.
Awesome.

Back