BoB no more :o

There's been a big debate about this at RPS. I don't play EVE, but game mechanics that allow one person to inflict that kind of damage unchecked against thousands of other players are just plain broken, regardless of how it's spun.

Sure it makes for a great read, but plain truth of the matter is, players investment in the game shouldn't be subject to the whimsy of one individual to that extent, and a lack of safeguards (alerts/multi-votes) is a fatal design flaw on the part of the developers. Sure people take these sorts of games way too seriously, but it's their fascination and they should be afforded a degree of safety in their actions by the developers.

The thing is, EVE developers love it when this happens. Thats why the game has the hardcore following it does, because really anything can ****ing happen. I can't think of any other game where you can utterly decimate an opposing faction like that.

The thing is, EVE developers love it when this happens. Thats why the game has the hardcore following it does, because really anything can ****ing happen. I can't think of any other game where you can utterly decimate an opposing faction like that.

Are you speaking for them personally or do you have their comments on events and are interpreting?

Let's say for example if instead of it being a deliberate act by this particular individual, it was in fact something that was instigated by his pissed off ex-girlfriend (a leap of faith I know to imagine such a reality), his annoying brother, irate parent, pet monkey or keyboard loving cat. Would people still be cheering about it, or would they be screaming for more in game safeguards to stop it happening again? Trust is not a game mechanic, or should it be viewed as one.

Trust is an integral mechanic to player-run organisations in any game. The consequences of betrayal of trust are just far greater in EVE where such organisations actually have a real impact than in games such as WoW.

Trust is an integral mechanic to player-run organisations in any game. The consequences of betrayal of trust are just far greater in EVE where such organisations actually have a real impact than in games such as WoW.

All the more reason to build in safety measures to offset capriciousness then.

Also trust is not a game mechanic, because mechanics have defined results, where as betrayal has unpredictable ones.

To some degree, yes, but human error and weakness is part of the beauty of EVE's system of player run corps.

To some degree, yes, but human error and weakness is part of the beauty of EVE's system of player run corps.

Unlike real life game worlds lack personal and lasting consequence, therefore the road to betrayal is far easier and therefore more likely.

The Vice President of Coca-Cola Corp couldn't disassemble unchecked the entire company overnight in the real world (even if he wanted to), and as a man would face the music if he tried.

The only reason a player could achieve the equivalent in a game is down to short sighted game mechanics. To be fair I doubt the developers when they conceived the game ever envisaged Corporations growing to the size they have nowadays tbh. That they haven't considered the consequences since and reviewed the mechanics accordingly is their real failing though. There is nothing beautiful or edgy about that from a design perspective, and allusions to it being elitist hardcore can just as easily be flipped into 'broken' and 'fringe'.

What is so terribly wrong with such betrayal?
As you say, it's more likely in EVE than the real world due to lacking significant personal lasting consequences but one can flip that argument too - nobody's going to lose their job, livelihood or career over it. It's a setback in a game for one group of people, because not all members of said group are trustworthy. So what? They 'lose' some of their ingame achievments, but at least it makes things more interesting for everyone for a while.

I agree it should be harder - say you'd have to subvert two senior execs simultaneously for such an effect not just one - but it shouldn't be impossible.

Post your character name eagle, i'll say hello when your online.

My character name is the vastly original: Brian Hughes

Yes, that's my real name :LOL:

Currently noobing it up with my roommate. I'm great at wasting money right now!

What is so terribly wrong with such betrayal?
As you say, it's more likely in EVE than the real world due to lacking significant personal lasting consequences but one can flip that argument too - nobody's going to lose their job, livelihood or career over it. It's a setback in a game for one group of people, because not all members of said group are trustworthy. So what? They 'lose' some of their ingame achievments, but at least it makes things more interesting for everyone for a while.

I'd say 6 years of countless members leisure time is quite a significant thing to be honest. For all of their effort and striving to be undone solely by the boy who wasn't loved enough is indeed a terrible thing.

I agree it should be harder - say you'd have to subvert two senior execs simultaneously for such an effect not just one - but it shouldn't be impossible.

I'm not disagreeing with that sentiment. In fact I never said it should be impossible, but I certainly do think that it should significantly harder to achieve, and certainly require the efforts of more than one disillusioned individual to pull off. If it were something that required a 3 or 4 rival players to weedle their ways into the ranks over months or years and climb the ladder to then instigate a night of terror, that would indeed be a worthy achievement.

Honestly they lost nowhere near as much as you make out there. It was a significant setback but not "Game over man - game over!" :)

Honestly they lost nowhere near as much as you make out there. It was a significant setback but not "Game over man - game over!" :)

I'm sure it wasn't. I expect these people to be organised and bounce back, they wouldn't have gotten to the position they were in if they weren't tenacious, however that in itself doesn't rectify the inherent problem to the game mechanics. That a person survives a hit & run doesn't mean the driver wasn't being reckless.

This isn't the first time this has happened, so I'm assuming that if the developers didn't like it in there to spice things up since it's still here....

This isn't the first time this has happened, so I'm assuming that if the developers didn't like it in there to spice things up since it's still here....

This.

There was an incident not too long ago, not sure if it was the Goonswarm or not, I'll have to check, but some guy managed to steal about several billion isk in the game, just by lying his way into a corporation and gaining peoples trust. After he got into the right position he grabbed a couple schematics, a shit ton of Isk (The games currency) and left the corp.

The site that wrote the article went and asked what the the developers thought and they thought it was hilarious.

So yeah, EVE developers encourage shit like this. There was a video I saw a while back, some sort of EVE convention or something, and they had one of the leaders of Goonswarm giving a small talk about his corporation and how they pull shit like this all the time.

What about that assassination of some really powerfull player? The plan took months to create and execute, and resulted in blowing up some crazy-ass expensive ship.

What about that assassination of some really powerfull player? The plan took months to create and execute, and resulted in blowing up some crazy-ass expensive ship.

If you have insurance (and you'd be dumb not to have it), and also an up to date clone, it's not the end of the world at all.

Also, is there an HL2.net corp? If so, will you accept a nooblet like me? :D I'm Gallente if that makes a difference.

Hit me up ingame if so.

If you have insurance (and you'd be dumb not to have it), and also an up to date clone, it's not the end of the world at all.
Not true, I believe, for the really hard to get ships where the insurance pay off is incomparable to just how hard it is to get the ship. Could someone more familiar with the high end game mechanics of Eve confirm?

i know what you're talking about. Let me find the links.

Found it: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=180867&site=pcg

Assassination of Ubiqua Seraph CEO Mirial and Destruction of a Navy Apocolypse by the Guiding Hand Social Club, doing over 30 Billion Isk of damage - $16500 US based on the exchange rate. This was a planned, hired strike by a client.

I just made a quick channel "hl2.net" so get your characters in there and i shall say hell-owww

There was an incident not too long ago, not sure if it was the Goonswarm or not, I'll have to check, but some guy managed to steal about several billion isk in the game, just by lying his way into a corporation and gaining peoples trust. After he got into the right position he grabbed a couple schematics, a shit ton of Isk (The games currency) and left the corp.

That doesn't exactly sound like it's remotely comparable in terms of scale tbh.

This is the new intro screen for the new expansion:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNyfI4dv1dg

Here are some new graphic updates like shield hardener effects and the new gate warp:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvkKZLczslA

This guy is showing off the new ship fitting screen and other stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ryaneebs

Currently I have a Caracal and I'm going for a Cerberus:
http://www.battleclinic.com/eve_online/item_database.php?id=i11993
No cruiser currently in existence can match the superiority of the Cerberus's onboard missile system. With a well-trained pilot jacked in, this fanged horror is capable of unleashing a hail of missiles to send even the most seasoned armor tankers running for cover.
Keep in mind this is a 2 week trial that will become subscription soon.

Looks even better, shame EvE is still just not my cup of tea play style wise.

That doesn't exactly sound like it's remotely comparable in terms of scale tbh.

Im just saying that shit like this happens all the time in EVE, everything you worked for in the game can be gone the next day if you're not careful. Thats why people play the game in the first place because of the risk involved.

Also, is there an HL2.net corp? If so, will you accept a nooblet like me? :D I'm Gallente if that makes a difference.

Hit me up ingame if so.

I joined a corp called Black Mesa Research and Development. They seem nice so far and are very helpful with questions, so look them up when you get the chance.

atomic spark made a hl2.net corp some time back but personaly I think the best thing to do will be to have a hl2.net channel and let people go about joining what ever corp suites their needs and what they want to do.

If you hit the join/create channels button down the left hand side you should get a wee window up in there. All you need to do is hit join and type in hl2.net.

I'm in there atm under the names Maktor or Miss Maktor

See you guys in there.

Edits:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/hl2neteve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DBVH6IVxas&feature=subscription

He is talking about this btw :LOL::
2335016192_6003c39c4c.jpg

He is talking about new players, like me. They need to get a PR guy who speaks English fluently though. :bonce:

*On a side not, LMFAO at this guy and how he says his name:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEtCxccupAQ&feature=PlayList&p=56B4ED2FB6BB6FDF&index=6

I love that graph :p
"It's a common... almost misperception"

Man I'm pumped for expansion. I haven't played it much within the past week, but that's because I got frustrated when I lost my ship.

I think I may start an alt character (and start him right!).

Character creation is gonna change completely in the expansion though isn't it?
Maybe just make an alt when it comes out and in the mean time gather isk to try and buy basic implants or second tier learning skill books? :)

Yeah that's what I meant. When the expansion comes out, I'll make an alt.

Though honestly, I think probably just doing a neural remapping of my current character would be best.

I want to play this game so badly right now, spring break and all.

I think with easter holidays coming up may delve back into this, I played it briefly for about a week and definitely knew there was something very cool about the whole set up but I got sidetracked from it, definitely want to give it another shot.

And the learning curve ain't that bad, after a week I already got the jist of enough stuff to get me on my way. The rest is just trail and error, or meeting new people.

In fact im gonna use the 21-day free trail off steam and see if I can get back into it, RIGHT NOW!

On the subject of BoB and goonies, are there any .netters who could recommend me? xD Delve sure seems tasty right now.

SO, I caught Hool mining....with a Badger Mark II....He refuses to get an Osprey or the Bantam. WHY, HOOL!?

I don't understand it. The only reasoning that I fathom that you mine faster is that you have more mining lasers. I got a mining op with the alliance today in 0.0 at 1700. We should have some henchmen out there to protect us.

Back