books that made you cry/teary

Raziaar said:
Yeah, that one was sad too. But not quite as sad as the Jurassic Bark episode. Both were equally touching, and you won't find such quality in most of today's shows. In a comedy too, its shocking.

Fire! Professy! HOT!!!!!

That line had me cracking up like nothing. So cleverly timed :p

jondyfun said:
The finale of the Pullman trilogy did it for me....

*looks around warily*

ME TOO :O

I read it when it first came out (i have the hardback edition of the amber spygalss :D ) and the ending brought tears to my cheeks.

Suicide42 said:
ME TOO :O

I read it when it first came out (i have the hardback edition of the amber spygalss :D ) and the ending brought tears to my cheeks.

yup. i really cant remember why though..

CptStern said:
books make baby jesus cry :E
The Da Vinci Code makes baby Jesus cry ;(
(btw, anyone see that Channel 4 show? The Priory of Sion which dan Brown said existed really doesnt, it was a huge hoax :O)

Anyway, on topic... does anyone think film and television have more or less of an emotional hold on you than books can?

Hazar said:
I think enders game made got me the closest to crying or teary-eye'dness.
I just read that, what made it sad?

The only book that made me feel really sad is the end of,
"Of Mice and Men" when he pops his friend in the head.

SpuD said:
Yeah, it's the only one i can think of too.

It's a great book

...but it's so sad :(

SpuD said:
I just read that, what made it sad?

what made it sad was that the alien were sorry for what the did after they found out that the humans were smart, but ender killed all of them. Then the thing with the queen's egg.

It's been awhile since I've read it.

btw, I didn't think Of mice and men was that sad. It was a little bit, but not much.

Hazar said:
what made it sad was that the alien were sorry for what the did after they found out that the humans were smart, but ender killed all of them. Then the thing with the queen's egg.

It's been awhile since I've read it.
I didnt feel bad for the aliens, they did launch 2 attacks on earth, we just attacked them once. When i found out they exploited ender like that I didnt really feel sorry for him. It was a great book though.

SpuD said:
I didnt feel bad for the aliens, they did launch 2 attacks on earth, we just attacked them once. When i found out they exploited ender like that I didnt really feel sorry for him. It was a great book though.

the difference was that the aliens attacked out in the solar system. We blew up their entire world :p

If I reread it, I prolly it prolly wouldn't happen again (it was like 4 years ago)

What the hell? Of Mice and Men sounds like a great book, why did my English group have to study a shit heap while the others got that one :(

I have never actually cried when reading a book, to be honest, although i felt a little gutted in "The Subtle Knife" by Philip Pullman when:

Lee Scorsebey and his daemon were killed fending off the attackers.

I was like "Nooo!"

"Run Spot Run"
That book made me cry soo hard....how that dog ran...

I didn't find of mice and men very sad but I saw everyone all teary eyed at the end of the book. Where the red fern grows got me but I was in like 5th/6th grade at the time.

Hardball was a sad movie also

I was in the middle of a divorce when I started reading "Memoires of a Geisha". Not only did the book make me cry (it's extremely rare when something fictional makes me cry) but it put me in a generally pissy angry mood. Couldn't stop reading it though, most likely because it felt good to read about someone, fictional or not, who had worse problems than me at the moment.

Frankenstein or the modern Prometheus by Mary Shelley. Anyone who has read this masterpiece in its original version knows it is nothing like what is depicted in pop culture today (or 40 years ago, whatever). Victor Frankenstein doesn't shout "IT's ALIIIIIVE", nor is there a scene where villagers with pitchforks chase the creature into a windmill or anything of that nature.

Hell, change the wording around a little bit and you would think it was a tragic play written by Shakespeare. The novel from beginning to end is basically a downward spiral.

I mean, the part where:
Elizabeth and Victor have just been married, and Victor is worried about the monster targetting him. He's walking around their home with pistols strapped to him. Then when he sends Elizabeth to the room by herself, you know whats going to happen. Definitely the saddest part of the whole book.

If you think you know about the story of Frankenstein from 60's movies trust me you don't. Read the original 1818 text.

FortisVir said:
Frankenstein or the modern Prometheus by Mary Shelley. Anyone who has read this masterpiece in its original version knows it is nothing like what is depicted in pop culture today (or 40 years ago, whatever).

Hell, change the wording around a little bit and you would think it was a tragic play written by Shakespeare. The novel from beginning to end is basically a downward spiral.

I read Frankenstein last year. I really didn't care for it. I actually felt like Dr. Frankenstein deserved what happened in your spoiler tags. I mean, what did he expect... and besides, if I remember correctly,

he was mostly concerned about himself in the first place and only thought the monster would come after him when he should have known to think about Elizabeth after nearly EVERY single family member of his was killed before

But that's just my opinion on it. I think the part you liked about the whole book being a downward spiral was actually the major thing that turned me off. It just... kept on going. Joy and learning, pain and death, more joy and learning, more pain and death. Just different tastes in literature or literary style, I guess.
(...Although I did like Waiting for Godot, which went through a pretty horrible downward spiral. After we finished discussing it in class, it was almost silent in the room -- that's how depressing it really is).

[edit] I also just remembered another novel that almost made me cry: Family by Pa Chin. Something really sad happened in the middle that made me just think, "Wait, what..? No... no.... don't do it! Nooooooo ;(" Most books never really make me cry, but just make me think a lot. As I Lay Dying (Faulkner) is disturbing. I like anything by Steinbeck (Winter of Our Discontent, East of Eden, too many more to name). I actually want to read through all his novels and stories. Kind of a weird goal, but I like it, even the nonfiction stuff (Travels with Charlie).

"Where the red ferns grow" upset me... and so did "old yeller" but that's it.( I think, I read them like 8 years ago)
I always feel sad when animals get killed but when people do I could not care less.

Hmm... I understand how you're looking at it, but I thought more along the lines that

Victor was just being stupid, not selfish. He thought the monster's hatred would lead it to target him. He just misinterpreted what the monster was going to do. As soon as the monster's real intentions dawns on him, he rushes to Elizabeth's room but it's too late. Victor's tragic flaw is his blind enthusiasm, but I didn't feel like that made him a bad person. Of course you feel sympathy for the monster for being abandoned and basically being alone the whole time, but I didn't feel like Victor deserved having all his loved ones killed.

But that's whats so great about the story. At the end, you don't know who you're supposed to sympathize with, the creature or Frankenstein. And the whole time there is this tension going on between emotion and reason, both with the creature and Frankenstein. The novel is dark, but the underlying themes of the novel - the nature of life versus death, love versus hate and passion. Maybe this sounds cliché but that's what I enjoyed about the novel.

Eh I dunno, After taking Humanities courses for 2 years at my University, its hard for me to not dissect everything I read :/

CptStern said:
I could kiss you chi :) I read the 100 years of solitude almost 2 decades ago and I couldnt remember the title or even the author. Great book
Awwwwlllriiiight <In a Quagmire stylee> :naughty: I mean what!?
Seriously though - that book's superb, as is Garcia Marquez as a writer. Read Chronicle of a Death Foretold which is simply wonderful, not really desperately sad, but a masterpiece of plot sequencing. All pieces of Latin American literature I've read (in fairness, limited to three authors - Garcia Marquez, Isabel Allende and Maria Vargas Llosa - and six novels) have been utterly superb. They introduced me to magical realism and for that I am eternally grateful.

CptStern said:
my wife read it recently said it was extremely sad but good
It's utterly completely wonderful, but as myself and your wife said, ultimately crushing. I will, hopefully, be studying Indian literature next year, which could be great. Arundhati Roy's not on the course, but that's probably for the best.

the airplane bit? read it in highschool dont remember all that much
I read it when I was about the same age and it took me a while to get going, but when I did... Heller's a genius. Closing Time (Catch-22's pseudo-sequel) is great also.
And yes, the scene in the aeroplane that's foreshadowed the whole way through. Powerful stuff.

And yes to everyone: His Dark Materials was an incredible series, even if it was Paradise Lost for kids. Which is another book I really need to read.

I desperately want to be a writer and the more I think of these great authors the more terrifying my desire and the implicit possibility of faliure seem. Argh!

well two books that i became really emotional over were:

Exodus road - by blaine lee pardoe. has to be the best battletech book ever written. (based ont eh mechwarrior series)

The Surgeon - By tess gretissen, she is a amazing writer. very dark, very graphic, but extremly emotional. lol

:cheers:

Back