Borderlands

I don't understand why so many people are complaining about the interface. Yes, you have to press "Enter" to close it but only when a new tip pops up. Most of the time you can just click on it with the mouse cursor.

its still a confusing and its not mainstream feature like 99% of other PC games. it feels like your playing a game from 15 years ago

also non skippable cutscenes in the beginning are very annoying.

also non skippable cutscenes in the beginning are very annoying.

Two options.

1. Rename/Delete movie files

2. My Games/Borderlands/Willowgame/config/WillowEngine.ini

Find the movies section and comment out the movies like so

To disable the startup movies:
-----------------------------
Within WillowEngine.ini:

Find:
[FullScreenMovie]
StartupMovies=2K_logo
StartupMovies=Gearbox_logo
StartupMovies=NVidia
StartupMovies=Loading
SkippableMovies=2K_logo
SkippableMovies=Gearbox_logo
SkippableMovies=Attract
SkippableMovies=NVidia

and comment out lines like so:

[FullScreenMovie]
//StartupMovies=2K_logo
//StartupMovies=Gearbox_logo
//StartupMovies=NVidia
//StartupMovies=Loading
//SkippableMovies=2K_logo
//SkippableMovies=Gearbox_logo
//SkippableMovies=Attract
//SkippableMovies=NVidia

Man I only need to reach level 50 to get the final achievement!

Two options.

1. Rename/Delete movie files

2. My Games/Borderlands/Willowgame/config/DefaultEngine.ini

Find the movies section and comment out the movies like so

yay, much better

and gargantou, how do you see the achievements and what you have left?

im going to try and serve this thread away from people havings gripes with the menus etc and actually onto the game.

i got an awesome legendary (or whatever theyre calling the 'orange' tier of weapons) revolver on my lv24 siren yesterday, ammo regen, massive crit damage, superfast reload speed, i pretty much only need to swap to my other weapons to do elemental damage. got a mean corrosive sniper, an awesome electric combat rifle and just before i logged off last night i got a nasty explosive shotgun. cost like 70k from a vending machine but well worth it.

as for the game itself im enjoying it but it really needs more story imo.

edit: oh yea and i found a hidden achievement yesterday, when youre doing the mission to get the bottles of booze at 'teachers landing' if you go right to the end of the right hand (on the map) peir theres a little boat with a gun box on it, you get the 'IM ON A BOAT' achievement.

im on a boat and, its going fast and, i got a nautical themed pashmena afgan.

Apparently there are major problems for the PC release. For those who need help:

Problem #1 : Borderlands install error message “Installation ended prematurely because of an error.”
Solution : It seems that a lot of Windows 7 users are getting this error message. This error message is not related to Borderlands. First, try to remove all files in your temp directory to make sure that the Borderlands installation files are not retrieved from a corrupted cache. If you still get that error then it could be a Drive or MSI Installer related problem so try to reinstall your MSI drivers and if that doesny work you might wanna try a fix similar to the one specified here -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/230895 . And if you still get that error, post about it in the comment box below.

Problem #2 : Borderlands install error on Windows 7
1) Make sure you update you DirectX, you can follow this link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d…a-9b6652cd92a3
WARNING: Even though this isn’t the main point of this thread, you will have to install a second time if you skip this step, and it will only waste you time not to do this step.2) When attempting to install, you will see this error: “Installation ended prematurely because of an error.”
In order to install correctly, open up command prompt and run the following command.
Code:

msiexec /i d:\setup.msi /qb

WARNING: Make sure to replace d:\ with the correct drive letter that the DVD is inserted into. Also, the above command will disable GUI installation, all you will see is a progress bar. After the files are copied to your hard drive, they will be located in Program Files/2K Games. The setup will then go on to activate your copy of Borderlands. After everything disappears and your computer returns to your desktop, you should be able to successfully start the game.

Troubleshooting: During installation I get an error about “d3dx9_##.dll”
Go back to #1 and update your DirectX.

Problem #3 [IMPORTANT! ] Borderlands(PC) Nvidia Problem (crash, freeze or it may not run at all)
Note : Do not update to your Nvidia drivers 191.xx yet. As of this posting, the 191.xx drivers released are unstable and rendered some systems unusable (link). If you need to update your video card to a later version, make sure that it’s earlier than the 191.xx.

Problem #4 : Borderlands Cannot connect to multiplayer/online games.
Solution A: try to turn off your firewall/anti-virus
Solution B: you might need to open your ports. to know what ports to open for Borderlands (PC) check this link -> http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=77897 | borderlands portforwarding.

Problem #5 : Borderlands ATI 4xxx series problem : You play normally for around 20 minutes or so, before the game suddenly freeze, screen goes black, and a message box from the CCC pops ups telling you that VPU Recover has reset your driver due to it having stopped responding.
Solution :
Hello, same problem here with a 4870 running on windows 7 64 bit with latest release of catalyst drivers, 9.10. This is a known issue with a lot of games on their first release. Anyway my advice for you is to update your graphic drivers, maybe you can solve the problem this way. If it doesn’t i suppose we have to wait a solution from game developers or ATI’s new driver release.

Problem #7 : Borderlands (PC) Stuttering sound problem
Solution : Reduce or turn off Directsound acceleration

Problem #11 : Borderlands (PC) General Protection Fault for multicore users
Solution : Start the game, go quick to your taskmanager select go Processes, search Borderlands.exe, Right mouse button, click “Set Affinity” disable all cpu´s except of one (run this game with one Processor).
You must do this before the game start

Problem #12 : Cant install borderlands, error message is :
setupdll\setupdll.cpp (391)
pAPP:Borderlands
etc..etc..

Solution :
Try the following.

If “C” is your system drive, go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\

There you should see directory called “InstallShield”. Rename that directory to something else, for example “temp_is”. Try running Setup now.

Problem #13 : Borderlands (PC) Install on PC problem error 1722
Solution :

Elevate a command prompt by right-clicking the Command Prompt in Start:All Programs:Accessories and selecting Run as administrator…
From the command prompt, run regedit.exe
If you have a 32-bit system, navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion.
If you have a 64-bit system, navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
Set the “DevicePath” value to “%SystemRoot%\Inf” (without the quotes).

I have no problems with crashes and I'm on 191.03, so maybe it's just later versions that that.

Will be playing this when I get home from school maybe. I expect Emporius, Shamrock, and Garg to play too god damn it.

Hooray, yet another ****ing game that I can't run.
$50 down the drain thanks to the extremely unhelpful system requirements posted on Steam and everyone saying that if you can run UT3 or TF2 then you can run this.

It gives me some kind of nvtt.dll is missing error before the game even starts up.

specs:
AMD Athlon XP 2800+ 2.9ghz
Geforce 7600GS 512mb
1gb ram
Windows XP SP3

Drivers are mostly all up to date, I just can't update my video card drivers any further than they currently are because I get major artifacting in my games if I do so.

It's also the retail release.

$50 down the drain thanks to the extremely unhelpful system requirements posted on Steam and everyone saying that if you can run UT3 or TF2 then you can run this.

It gives me some kind of nvtt.dll is missing error before the game even starts up.

specs:
Geforce 7600GS 512mb
1gb ram
Windows XP SP3

Drivers are mostly all up to date, I just can't update my video card drivers any further than they currently are because I get major artifacting in my games if I do so.

How are you blaming Steam about this if you went out to the store and bought it? No excuse, could've read the box before buying.

The box said the same thing as Steam, I just usually always check Steam before going out to buy something.

Pray tell what do system requirments have to do with an installation/configuration problem?

I can't see how you can't play the game...that's weird. Looks like you should be able to do minimal settings.

Might not be an issue with the reqs, but with one of the million bugs in the game?

Also, the gameplay update. I played it a little more last night, but towards the end, with just 1 other person. I had so much more fun with 1 other than I did with 3 other. With a full game, it seemed like a cluster ****. I might get used to it the more I play, but I can't quite put my finger on what the problem is.....we'll see.

This might help some people with the PC version...taken from the GBX forums.

Here's a few tweaks I've come across and found that might help people with 'deconsolizing' Borderlands. I'm going to assume you all know where the location of these INI files are (Usually in USER NAME\Documents\My Games\Borderlands\WillowGame\Config in Vista).

To disable the startup movies:
Within WillowEngine.ini:

Find:
[FullScreenMovie]
StartupMovies=2K_logo
StartupMovies=Gearbox_logo
StartupMovies=NVidia
StartupMovies=Loading
SkippableMovies=2K_logo
SkippableMovies=Gearbox_logo
SkippableMovies=Attract
SkippableMovies=NVidia

and comment out lines like so:

[FullScreenMovie]
//StartupMovies=2K_logo
//StartupMovies=Gearbox_logo
//StartupMovies=NVidia
//StartupMovies=Loading
//SkippableMovies=2K_logo
//SkippableMovies=Gearbox_logo
//SkippableMovies=Attract
//SkippableMovies=NVidia

If that doesn't work, replace the // with ;

To adjust FOV (Field of View):
Within WillowInput.ini:
Search for "WillowGame.WillowPlayerInput". Below the chunk of bindings, add the following:

Bindings=(Name="F10",Command="FOV 90",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="F11",Command="FOV 110",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

You can change the keys (F10 and F11) to whatever you'd like, as well as the FOV values.

To disable mouse smoothing:
----------------------------
Within WillowInput.ini:
Search for "bEnableMouseSmoothing" and you should come across the following line:

bEnableMouseSmoothing=True

Change to FALSE. This tremendously improves the feel of the mouse when looking around in-game and navigating the UI.

To disable/adjust weapon view bob:
----------------------------------
Within WillowGame.ini:
Search for "bWeaponBob" and you should come across the following lines:

bWeaponBob=TRUE
Bob=0.005

They should be pretty self explanatory. I can confirm the Bob numerical adjustment does work.

To enable VSync:
-----------------
Within WillowEngine.ini:
Search for "UseVsync" and you should come across the following line:

UseVsync=False

Change to TRUE.

To disable voice chat:
---------------------
Within WillowEngine.ini:
Search for "bHasVoiceEnabled" and you should come across the following line:

bHasVoiceEnabled=True

Change to FALSE.

To enable console:
------------------
*NOTE: This currently doesn't work correctly, it outputs all commands as 'SAY' commands*

Within WillowInput.ini:
Search for "ConsoleKey" and you should come across the following line:

ConsoleKey=

Add 'Tilde' after the equal sign to enable the console (should look like ConsoleKey=Tilde)

Enable Drop Weapon Key:
-------------------------
Within WillowInput.ini:
Search for "WillowGame.WillowPlayerInput". Within that section, search for "ThrowWeapon". By default, it's bound to "Underscore" - I changed mine to V, so it looks like:

Bindings=(Name="V",Command="ThrowWeapon",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

To make zoom a toggle (courtesy of Miker):
--------------------------------------------------
Within WillowInput.ini:

Add the text below under [WillowGame.WillowPlayerInput]

Bindings=(Name="ZoomIn",Command="StartAltFire | setbind RightMouseButton ZoomOut",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,LeftTrigger=False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False, bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)
Bindings=(Name="ZoomOut",Command="StopAltFire | setbind RightMouseButton ZoomIn",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,LeftTrigger=False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,b IgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)

Then, edit the preexisting RightMouseButton binding to reflect the change:

Bindings=(Name="RightMouseButton",Command="advancedbutton bAdvancedButtonAux5",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,LeftTrigger= False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)

to

Bindings=(Name="RightMouseButton",Command="ZoomIn",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False,LeftTrigger= False,RightTrigger=False,bIgnoreCtrl=False,bIgnoreShift=False,bIgnoreAlt=False)

To enable scroll wheel in text boxes:
-----------------------------------
Within WillowInput.ini

Search for all instances of the following (there should only be two instances):

InputKeyName="MouseScrollUp",ModifierKeyFlags=42
InputKeyName="MouseScrollDown",ModifierKeyFlags=42

remove the ",ModifierKeyFlags=42" so they look like:

InputKeyName="MouseScrollUp"
InputKeyName="MouseScrollDown"

im going to try and serve this thread away from people havings gripes with the menus etc and actually onto the game.

i got an awesome legendary (or whatever theyre calling the 'orange' tier of weapons) revolver on my lv24 siren yesterday, ammo regen, massive crit damage, superfast reload speed, i pretty much only need to swap to my other weapons to do elemental damage. got a mean corrosive sniper, an awesome electric combat rifle and just before i logged off last night i got a nasty explosive shotgun. cost like 70k from a vending machine but well worth it.

as for the game itself im enjoying it but it really needs more story imo.

edit: oh yea and i found a hidden achievement yesterday, when youre doing the mission to get the bottles of booze at 'teachers landing' if you go right to the end of the right hand (on the map) peir theres a little boat with a gun box on it, you get the 'IM ON A BOAT' achievement.

im on a boat and, its going fast and, i got a nautical themed pashmena afgan.

Like I said, I've been having fun with it, up to about lvl 23 on my hunter. Just started getting awesome revolvers which I'm loving. I think the game does a good job of rationing ammo so you're constantly switching weapon type to balance out your consumed ammo.

and pitz, that list is awesome, I just did a couple of them that I was hoping for.

specs:
Geforce 7600GS 512mb
1gb ram
Windows XP SP3

that cpu came out over 7 years ago. I'm surprised it plays ANYTHING let alone a brand new game

At first, I found it a little difficult to see past the "Art Concept" or Cell Shading" or whatever the politically-game correct term is that's being used to describe the games graphics. The last game I played that had a similar art style, was the RPG "Silverfall", a game I rather enjoyed once I got used to the cell shading that was used for that game. As I am only about 5 minutes into playing Borderlands, so in other words, at the VERY beginning, I'll hold off saying too much. I did take a couple screen shots.

Below the screen shots, I am going to post a small game-play hint I found while playing. If you don't want to know it, don't read it, though if you take a close look at my screen shots, you'll be able to figure it out for yourself.

At the Very Beginning.
lvl3p.jpg

Freebird.
flyw.jpg

boomshakalaka!
headshoth.jpg

What the...?
claw.jpg

Hint/Cheat

It would appear that the game uses a checkpoint system. After getting off the bus at the very beginning of the game, you have the option to follow the small robot, or you can first explore a little of the immediate area. You'll find containers that will have goodies to collect, like cash or ammo. Once you open all the containers, follow the robot. Along the way, you'll find more containers to open. At the second place where you can edit your players name & color, which is next to a building about 2 or 3 mins after you first start following the small robot, use it & then exit the game to the main menu & then continue the game. You'll start off back at the very beginning right when you get off the bus. Wait for the Robot to finish talking to you, and then explore the area again. All the containers will be full of loot once again & you'll still have the same XP & Level. Follow the robot & kill all the enemies again for more XP. Not sure what happens after the second place you edit your char, as I have not been that far yet. Keep doing that to gain cash & XP.

-MRG

Game is very addicting, and much more fun with friends.

It's a shame that the online setup is shit. Me and many other friends cannot connect to games, plus the "server" screen freezes.

How exactly do i "forward" my "ports". Networking has always been my Achilles heel when it comes to computers. Im Strogg, if anyone cares to add me.

Level 25! Need to stop playing obsessively or the game won't last long.

Elemental damage is my favorite in this game so far, so I am glad I chose the siren.

Argh...really liking the game so far, but some questionable level design led to me being extremely deep into a level, with a boss in front of me that is too high level to beat and a level full of respawned bad guys behind me, and me left with no bullets or healing items. Had to make about a dozen attempts to either kill the boss or run out of the level. Was eventually able to get back to the entrance and escape.

Lesson learned: just because you have the hardware and explosives to get your ass into something doesn't mean you'll be able to finish it.

God damn.

Indeed, now I just need to get the achievements for getting xx action skill kills with each character, then I can finally switch and play another of my many un-finished games!:LOL:

I hate my achievementwhoring friends who got me addicted to achievement-whoring in the first place, damned IRC-geeks with no lives!:frown:

Indeed, now I just need to get the achievements for getting xx action skill kills with each character, then I can finally switch and play another of my many un-finished games!:LOL:

I hate my achievementwhoring friends who got me addicted to achievement-whoring in the first place, damned IRC-geeks with no lives!:frown:

What's your gamerscore? I have a little bit over 59,000. I'm somewhat an achievement whore myself :p . You should add me to your friends list as well.

omegax06.png

Back