Bored with my games - recommend me something new!

Malfunction

Reaction score
So I just beat FEAR 2 today, and I'm starting to get tired of playing my multiplayer games (CS:S, DoD:S, TF2, L4D). I really wouldn't mind a refreshing singleplayer game, or hell, even some multiplayer game that I haven't tried yet. Or even some Source mods. Anything.

Just for some reference, I've already played Fallout 3, Bioshock, Portal, and all of HL2 (obviously). All of these games were wonderful and really entertaining. I need something new, argh.

Sounds like you need a break from First Person Shooting. Can't recommend anything specific. I've been filling up time recently with Peggle, World of Goo and Psychonauts, so you'll have to wait for someone else to come along with more serious / less pretentious suggestions :p

I've played GTA 4 for two weeks, 2-3 hours a day and still have not beaten it D:

I'd highly recommend Grid if you are in to racing games.

I guess I should have specified PC-only. And yeah, I'm mostly looking for shooters, but I'm definitely open to suggestions.

I was thinking about GTA 4...hmmm...maybe.

I doubt you have a Wii so I've got no idea.

Oh ho ho ho, Glenn's a funny man. If he wants to not play another typical FPS and take a break from online play there are quite a few great titles for just that on Wii, not even counting virtual console.

What you need are casual games, something that rewards the simple things in games. I like World of Goo, UNO on the good ole Xbox, and Pixel Junk Monsters on the PS3. If you don't have those other consoles, try some free tower defense games on the PC. I'm pretty sure they're out there and they are a nice break from all the running and gunning you have been through

RTS? Company Of Heroes = so so so good

Have, and love. Though I never beat the singleplayer campaign. I'm too lazy to reinstall it and then play through all of the levels I already have though (just reformatted).

Damn, I'm a picky bastard. :E

BTW, can someone explain to me wtf World of Goo is? It has a super high metascore, and I watched the trailer, but nothing is ever explained. It looks crazy though.

Penumbra...i'm having such a blast. it's like a good book you can't put down.

how the **** do i open the rusty fuel cap??? ;)

seriously...this game goes on my top 10 list. now...if only they could mix system shock 2 and this game, then i'd be drooling all over the place.

I am a huge pussy so I couldnt get very far into Penumbra. **** SPIDERS.

Get Rome: Total War. Its super cheap and super effective against gaming boredom.

I am a huge pussy so I couldnt get very far into Penumbra. **** SPIDERS.

the spider part in oveture was so ****ing intense, and it's a perfect example where combat isn't much of use.

god damn it...who the **** told me about this game, i must congratulate him! i've found a game i've been always looking for. truly scary, realistic, smart, ingenious WTF moments, i could go on and on...it just needs a little polish here and there, but that's expected from a niche game.

so yes...thank you, to whoever made me aware of it!

Is it bad that I've never played System Shock 2?

consider yourself lucky to be still alive.

p.s. i heard Dead Space is a boring mess...just like i expected. putting faith into big cash developers is like expecting a dog to guard your dinner. he wont think twice to eat it, just like the big developers won't hesitate to get some quick cash on the game's expense.

holy crap, i just watched some Penumbra trailers, and i'm impressed. why haven't i heard of this before? i'll probably check this out eventually, but i just finished playing a scary game (fear 2), so i think i should give my heart a break. :p

Plaaaaanescapeeee Toooorment

or Psychonauts

or Grim Fandango, although the puzzles are ridiculous

Is it bad that I've never played System Shock 2?

Not really. It's pretty damn dated at this point, and has its share of issues.

Game recommendations, hm... What about Battlefield series? 2142 can be got for quite cheap now I imagine, 2 even cheaper.

Bf2 is $9.99
Bf2142 is $19.99

Both are great multiplayer games IMHO, but it might be a bit hard to get into them now. Or at least into 2142 that now seems to have only 2 grups of players - noobs and "pros" that played it since launch.

Dead Space. Amazing survival horror.

BTW, can someone explain to me wtf World of Goo is? It has a super high metascore, and I watched the trailer, but nothing is ever explained. It looks crazy though.

An indie game called Tower of Goo (and its sequel called Tower of Goo Unlimited) were released by an indie developer about 5 years ago. They were pretty damn awesome. It was the time when indie games were only just starting to become a viable thing. And then the developer beavered away on making the third in the series, World of Goo. That's the history of it.

The gameplay of Tower of Goo and Unlimited was you had to build the tallest tower possible out of goo balls. Drag a goo ball and it makes a line between any goo balls that are less than about 5 cm away. You can probably see the mechanics of this in the trailer for WoG. (Unfortunate acronym :LOL:)

ToG had a limited space in which to build the tower and ToGU allowed you an infinite space to create things in, which led to some hugely impressive towers.

But then the next game in the series added some actual objectives to levels using the same construction technique. You may have to transfer some object to the other side of a treacherous level by building a Goo bridge etc. It has some really ingenious challenges.

Hope this helps.

For the record I'm really stuck on games at the moment too. Digging out some old classics like Max Payne, Age of Mythology and Morrowind, games that I never properly completed back in the day, but they seem super dated now compared to their various updates and spiritual successors etc.

Mount & Blade

The graphics aren't fancy, but it's a bloody good game and should keep you fully occupied for a few weeks.

Mount & Blade

The graphics aren't fancy, but it's a bloody good game and should keep you fully occupied for a few weeks.

This. It was definitely my fave game for a month or so around Christmas time. But it gets a bit boring when you get too good. Looking forward to any potential sequels and updates.

Not really. It's pretty damn dated at this point, and has its share of issues.

Game recommendations, hm... What about Battlefield series? 2142 can be got for quite cheap now I imagine, 2 even cheaper.

I used to play both BF2 and 2142 a ton. I considered reinstalling them, but they don't really interest at the moment. Maybe somewhere down the road.

An indie game called Tower of Goo (and its sequel called Tower of Goo Unlimited) were released by an indie developer about 5 years ago. They were pretty damn awesome. It was the time when indie games were only just starting to become a viable thing. And then the developer beavered away on making the third in the series, World of Goo. That's the history of it.

The gameplay of Tower of Goo and Unlimited was you had to build the tallest tower possible out of goo balls. Drag a goo ball and it makes a line between any goo balls that are less than about 5 cm away. You can probably see the mechanics of this in the trailer for WoG. (Unfortunate acronym :LOL:)

ToG had a limited space in which to build the tower and ToGU allowed you an infinite space to create things in, which led to some hugely impressive towers.

But then the next game in the series added some actual objectives to levels using the same construction technique. You may have to transfer some object to the other side of a treacherous level by building a Goo bridge etc. It has some really ingenious challenges.

Hope this helps.

For the record I'm really stuck on games at the moment too. Digging out some old classics like Max Payne, Age of Mythology and Morrowind, games that I never properly completed back in the day, but they seem super dated now compared to their various updates and spiritual successors etc.

I watched some more videos and it looks pretty fun. I might check WoG out. WoG. :LOL:

Just Cause.

I had played the demo and thought the game was pretty crazy and fun. Sort of like a more action-packed GTA, with really gorgeous explosions. I might have to try this again.

p.s. i heard Dead Space is a boring mess...just like i expected. putting faith into big cash developers is like expecting a dog to guard your dinner. he wont think twice to eat it, just like the big developers won't hesitate to get some quick cash on the game's expense.

just another reason for you not to believe everything you HEAR
Dead Space was one of the most enjoyable games of last year IMHO
don't pass it up.

I used to play both BF2 and 2142 a ton. I considered reinstalling them, but they don't really interest at the moment. Maybe somewhere down the road.
Alright then.

I'd be surprised if you haven't played it already, but how about Call of Duty? I didn't much like the newer World at War, but Modern Warfare was extremely good in both SP and MP.

In a different direction:
SWAT 4? Very, very good cooperative multiplayer (or decent versus), and decent single player. Uses random NPC placement to keep things interesting.

And in yet a different direction: Stalker and/or Clear Sky? I prefer the original by leaps and bounds. There's a thread around here with a quite good modpack for it to make the game more interesting if you've played it before.

Mount & Blade is also recommended. I got more than a little sick of having to do _everything_ myself (and sieges are a hassle), but its a solid week or two of entertainment. Plus side: Multiplayer is coming at some point in an expansion.

Alright then.

I'd be surprised if you haven't played it already, but how about Call of Duty? I didn't much like the newer World at War, but Modern Warfare was extremely good in both SP and MP.

In a different direction:
SWAT 4? Very, very good cooperative multiplayer (or decent versus), and decent single player. Uses random NPC placement to keep things interesting.

And in yet a different direction: Stalker and/or Clear Sky? I prefer the original by leaps and bounds. There's a thread around here with a quite good modpack for it to make the game more interesting if you've played it before.

Mount & Blade is also recommended. I got more than a little sick of having to do _everything_ myself (and sieges are a hassle), but its a solid week or two of entertainment. Plus side: Multiplayer is coming at some point in an expansion.

Haha, of course I've played CoD. I've played Modern Warfare on my brother's PC, and tbh, I wasn't impressed. I enjoyed the singleplayer campaigns of the first titles when they first came out, but then I realized that the developers pretty much re-released the same exact game with each new expansion and sequel. After once or twice, the formula got old.

I considered trying Stalker for quite some time, but it just doesn't appeal to me all that much.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. Keep 'em coming.

just another reason for you not to believe everything you HEAR
Dead Space was one of the most enjoyable games of last year IMHO
don't pass it up.

you mean..like bioshock? i got bored after the first few monsters...by then i've already knew what will i be doing the next 8 hours. but ok...i didn't really give the story a chance.

btw...being an enjoyable game of the year, nowadays doesn't mean much.

you mean..like bioshock? i got bored after the first few monsters...by then i've already knew what will i be doing the next 8 hours. but ok...i didn't really give the story a chance.

btw...being an enjoyable game of the year, nowadays doesn't mean much.

Don't try and argue the game is boring with people who have actually played it, go play it, then give your opinion, don't give an opinion based on what someone has told you. The game is the best survival horror game I have played full stop.

Don't try and argue the game is boring with people who have actually played it, go play it, then give your opinion, don't give an opinion based on what someone has told you. The game is the best survival horror game I have played full stop.

The game is boring.

And I have played it. Wandering around repetitive environments for hours on end wondering where to go next is not my idea of fun.

Ignore him.

Why? There's plenty of ace games being released by Indie devs.

The Maw, for instance.
The Maw is a full featured 3D action/adventure game for Xbox LIVE Arcade! Returning from a routine mission, a Galactic Bounty Hunter ship crash lands on a strage planet, leaving the captured Frank (our hero) and a tiny glowing blob in a cage labeled "THE DEADLIEST ORGANISM IN THE UNIVERSE" (known as Maw) as the only survivors. Aware of the risks, but concerned about traveling around alone, Frank hooks the strange blob to a plasma leash from the wreckage. Making their way towards the communication tower in the distance, they must escape from the bounty hunters out to cage them, as well as the unknown dangers of the new planet they are on...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KJbUeXmEq8

Yes, it's for the PC too.

Or even Cortex Command, doesn't get much more action oriented than that.
rocketblast.gif
sneakup.gif
RocketThrow.gif
mychaingunitsbetterthanyours.gif

Also, as I'm sure you can tell, the game is highly moddable.

Back