Bored with my games - recommend me something new!

Don't try and argue the game is boring with people who have actually played it, go play it, then give your opinion, don't give an opinion based on what someone has told you. The game is the best survival horror game I have played full stop.

what part of

i got bored after the first few monsters

says i didn't play the game?

edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0Z2dRMvMak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOc0lVOGpck&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY-qyVJ7k_Q&feature=related

survival horror at its best :rolleyes:

The part where he twists your words in his head so that he hears something that he can argue against in order to validate his own opinion of the game.

Is he not talking about you not playing Dead Space, rather than Bioshock?

Oh, it looks like he might have been. That'll teach me to make fun of someone without reading the whole thread.

Is he not talking about you not playing Dead Space, rather than Bioshock?

he isn't too clear on that

but

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DmsDICPnjg

so not FPS!? :rolleyes:

if somebody told me to check out this survival horror game called dead space...i'd kick him in the nuts. as a FPS..ok, but nothing more.

i'll take the rusty fuel cap, thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BUuILW6PxM

yup...no FPS here, move along.

this is (adventure) survival horror my friend (warning contains SPOILER)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rar2lpwiec4

disclaimer: defining what is FPS and survival horror or the line between the two can be a subject of debate, but we all know what we're talking about here, right?

holy ****! does dead space have a compass that shows the way to the next objective? that blue path thingy?

I was talking about Dead Space, and no, it's not a FIRST PERSON shooter, it's a third person survival game, actual shooting in Dead Space is not just your usual run and gun as that will get you nowhere. Also, how can you say as a fps it's okay, nothing more when you haven't even played it? Your opinion on the game is not valid off Youtube videos. Play the game then you will have a valid opinion worth listening to.

One more thing, NOT A FPS, which would be a first person view of the action, so no, not a fps. :rolleyes:

Oh, and Krynn, I was not twisting anything, I was talking about Dead Space, a game he feels he can form an objective opinion about without actually having even loaded up the game.

yeah, if Dead Space is an fps, then so is RE4 and RE5.

anyway, it doesn't look too bad. the visuals are pretty. i might check it out sometime.

however, those gameplay videos of bioshock may have just reignited my interest in the game. i remember that when i first played it, i was extremely conservative with my ammo and playstyle, but now i may want to go back and play as a bit of a rambo.

One more thing, NOT A FPS, which would be a first person view of the action, so no, not a fps. :rolleyes:

You know what he meant. He meant its just a shooter. Which it really is. Not much different than FEAR. Just shooters with horror elements. And yes Jverne. But its even worse than a compass. All you have to do is hold down ctrl and the game draws a line right to where you need to go, through door ways, up elevators, everything.

Oh, and Krynn, I was not twisting anything, I was talking about Dead Space, a game he feels he can form an objective opinion about without actually having even loaded up the game.

I know, I said that assuming you were talking about Bioshock, which I pointed out already.

You know what he meant. He meant its just a shooter. Which it really is.

Well, we will just have to disagree on that.

Oh, and didn't see your post further down after you posted your first reply, sorry. :D

Well, we will just have to disagree on that.

third person, first person...whatever. like krynn said, it's a shooter and judging by the videos i shouldn't expect anything else. after each corner there's a monster viciously attacking you (Doom 3 comes to mind). i agree however that i should try the game first, but care to elaborate why is it exceptional amongst other games?

however, those gameplay videos of bioshock may have just reignited my interest in the game. i remember that when i first played it, i was extremely conservative with my ammo and playstyle, but now i may want to go back and play as a bit of a rambo.

you just proven what i've been saying the whole time.

GRID has some pretty spectacular crashes as well.

Burnout has tons of multiplayer options, minigames aplenty, and an open world to drive around.

GRID afaik, is just your standard drive around a closed in track and do 10 laps, boring NASCAR stuff.
But, it IS a pretty game... I'll give it that.

third person, first person...whatever. like krynn said, it's a shooter and judging by the videos i shouldn't expect anything else. after each corner there's a monster viciously attacking you (Doom 3 comes to mind). i agree however that i should try the game first, but care to elaborate why is it exceptional amongst other games?

No, Doom 3 is a shooter, Crysis is a shooter.

Calling DS a shooter is like calling RE4 or 5 a shooter. The game is third person horror, sure it has shooting, but it isn't the sole focus of the game and there is more to it than your usual "plow a clip into an enemy and move on" type of fps play as you need to take out specific points on your enemy's as shooting them in the head or torso will get you nowhere, unlike every other game of this type. Also it's more about exploring the ship and taking in the unfolding story of what happened to the Ishimura and her crew, than about high energy combat. For me the game is about the atmosphere in waiting for something to happen, and it not always does. The game is creepy. Sure, it has it elements of jumpy scares, but what horror game does not have this.

The first time I saw a baby crack it's back open and fire out tentacles while trying to chew my face off was just amazing.

It may be true that some people do not find this game at all scary, but I sure as hell do, and if you like survival horror games (RE4/5 etc) then you'll love this, plus, for a survival horror game, which usually come packaged with crap story's and even worse acting, the acting and story in this are a cut above.

Try free flash games. Submachine is awesome if you like point and click adventure.

Did you even read my post? I specifically said that when I first played the game, I didn't play it just as I would any other shooter. I took my time, enjoyed the environment and atmosphere, and appreciated it far more than your typical run-n-gun FPS. I'm only going back to play as a rambo now that I've experienced the game.

Bioshock is really a fantastic game. The plot, characters, and environment is stellar in my mind.

Oh darn, I guess since the official genre doesn't have shooter in it, it must not be. All that shooting I did while playing really confused me.

No, Doom 3 is a shooter, Crysis is a shooter.

Calling DS a shooter is like calling RE4 or 5 a shooter. The game is third person horror, sure it has shooting, but it isn't the sole focus of the game and there is more to it than your usual "plow a clip into an enemy and move on" type of fps play as you need to take out specific points on your enemy's as shooting them in the head or torso will get you nowhere, unlike every other game of this type.

poor argument

Also it's more about exploring the ship and taking in the unfolding story of what happened to the Ishimura and her crew, than about high energy combat. For me the game is about the atmosphere in waiting for something to happen, and it not always does.

ok i'd have to play the game first to deny it. but considering the vids, there's mostly shooting. non shooting scenes are rare. so i bet 3/4 or more of the game is just plain shooting everything that moves.

The game is creepy. Sure, it has it elements of jumpy scares, but what horror game does not have this.

The first time I saw a baby crack it's back open and fire out tentacles while trying to chew my face off was just amazing.

sounds nice, but still it's a poor argument

It may be true that some people do not find this game at all scary, but I sure as hell do, and if you like survival horror games (RE4/5 etc) then you'll love this, plus, for a survival horror game, which usually come packaged with crap story's and even worse acting, the acting and story in this are a cut above.

constant action desensitizes you to fear, so i guess the true scariness quickly washes down...at least for me.
i thing SS2 is a far better example of survival horror than DS. SS2 was more slow paced, had less action.
DS looks primarily as a shooter with few added tricks.

Oh darn, I guess since the official genre doesn't have shooter in it, it must not be. All that shooting I did while playing really confused me.
GTA 4 has shooting in it too, do you class that as a shooter? What about Bionic Commando Rearmed? Is that a shooter too? Just because a game contains the firing of weapons, does not make it a shooter. Hell, if that's the case why not just have 3 genre's, Racing-shooters-flight sims (ones without gunfire of course, they would come under shooters) :rolleyes: The genre headings on metacritic are what the games genre are considered as, and Dead Spaces is also "Third-Person Action, Survival Horror" not shooter. :p

poor argument

ok i'd have to play the game first to deny it. but considering the vids, there's mostly shooting. non shooting scenes are rare. so i bet 3/4 or more of the game is just plain shooting everything that moves.

The game is creepy. Sure, it has it elements of jumpy scares, but what horror game does not have this.

sounds nice, but still it's a poor argument

constant action desensitizes you to fear, so i guess the true scariness quickly washes down...at least for me.
i thing SS2 is a far better example of survival horror than DS. SS2 was more slow paced, had less action.
DS looks primarily as a shooter with few added tricks.

You have seen video's, which sow action, and not the parts without action, I have played the game, you do not have a valid opinion. End Of.

Oh, and "poor argument" is quite an ironic counter argument.

If the vast majority of the gameplay is shooting, it's a shooter. I'm not saying it's just a shooter, just that, y'know, it happens to be a shooter.

If the vast majority of the gameplay is shooting, it's a shooter. I'm not saying it's just a shooter, just that, y'know, it happens to be a shooter.

It's a shame that these games are considered survival horror third person action games then, as it seems not everyone agrees with your genre defining system.

Anyway, all that's besides the point, how can someone give an objective review of the game if all they have seen is Youtube videos? Then go on to tell someone who has had this game recommended to them by someone else not to bother because the game is boring?

You can't tell someone they will not like a game without a basis of experience for your comments.

You have seen video's, which sow action, and not the parts without action, I have played the game, you do not have a valid opinion. End Of.

Oh, and "poor argument" is quite an ironic counter argument.

wasn't i clear enough?

wasn't i clear enough?

Yes, but your making assumptions on a game you HAVE NOT PLAYED.

Stop betting how the game is, what it's like etc until you have played the damn game, and not gotten all your facts from a couple of videos on youtube showing combat.

If you play it and don't like it, fair enough, you've got a base for your opinion.

I can't even belive I'm having this argument.

Bottom Line.

You have not played the game, you don't know what it is like.

****s sake, the guy only wanted some games recommended for god's sake, not to listen to this crap, lets get back on topic, and if you have not played the games recommended, don't try to dissuade people from playing it.

It's a shame that these games are considered survival horror third person action games then, as it seems not everyone agrees with your genre defining system.

Anyway, all that's besides the point, how can someone give an objective review of the game if all they have seen is Youtube videos? Then go on to tell someone who has had this game recommended to them by someone else not to bother because the game is boring?

You can't tell someone they will not like a game without a basis of experience for your comments.

Is your implication detector set on incredibly ****ing sensitive or what? I'm not saying any of those things or telling you what genre it is, I'm just telling you, from experience, that Dead Space (among other things) is a shooter.

Is your implication detector set on incredibly ****ing sensitive or what? I'm not saying any of those things or telling you what genre it is, I'm just telling you, from experience, that Dead Space (among other things) is a shooter.

Okay, yes it has shooting in it, but it is not a....what the hell, like I said before, we'll just have to disagree, it it really worth getting so eaten up about when my main point was about someone trying to give an opinion on a game they have not played (jverne).

Just recommend the fella some other games already. :)

Yes, but your making assumptions on a game you HAVE NOT PLAYED.

Stop betting how the game is, what it's like etc until you have played the damn game, and not gotten all your facts from a couple of videos on youtube showing combat.

If you play it and don't like it, fair enough, you've got a base for your opinion.

I can't even belive I'm having this argument.

Bottom Line.

You have not played the game, you don't know what it is like.

you're right...but let me tell you this. when i saw the bioshock trailer i was...yeah, this looks way to action oriented (a.k.a shooter). then i've played the game, it was almost exactly as i expected to be...a shooter for the major part.

so i kinda got intuition, but you're right...i'll try DS first, but i really doubt my opinion is going to change.

****s sake, the guy only wanted some games recommended for god's sake, not to listen to this crap, lets get back on topic, and if you have not played the games recommended, don't try to dissuade people from playing it.

hmm...go play supreme commander?

Have you played Crysis? If so, then nm, if not then GET IT RIGHT NOW, WTF ARE YOU DOING!

How bout the original FEAR, which was miles better than the sequal, might i add.

you're right...but let me tell you this. when i saw the bioshock trailer i was...yeah, this looks way to action oriented (a.k.a shooter). then i've played the game, it was almost exactly as i expected to be...a shooter for the major part.

so i kinda got intuition, but you're right...i'll try DS first, but i really doubt my opinion is going to change.

Whatever, play the game then I'll discuss it with you, so far, your opinions are baseless.

Have you played Crysis? If so, then nm, if not then GET IT RIGHT NOW, WTF ARE YOU DOING!

Yes, Crysis is a brilliant game, even when the aliens come in my opinion.

which was miles better than the sequal, might i add.

If you like the same level over and over. Scares were better though.

Don't get Gears of War for PC.

For the love of God.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, Dead Space's ending sucked.

How bout the original FEAR, which was miles better than the sequal, might i add.

Of course I've played Crysis. :p Great game.

And ditto on FEAR. I enjoyed both the original and sequel, though leaning a bit towards the original.

Don't get Gears of War for PC.

For the love of God.

Why not?

Unless you have a controller for the PC, I agree with Danimal.
It's a horrible port.

Unless you have a controller for the PC, I agree with Danimal.
It's a horrible port.

I play on mouse and keyboard and it's far better than using my 360 pad, plus, the game runs fine with Live stripped from it, you can get the files for this from GCW.

It's just incredibly awkward when you're running from cover to cover... and considering that the game relies heavily on proper use of cover, it's a huge deterrent when the controls are so weird.
Also, the reloading system is absolutely retarded.

Back