Bungie = douchebags

Icarusintel

Reaction score
Kotaku article on how Halo 3 is 640P

Bungie says:
One item making the interwebs rounds this week was the scandalous revelation that Halo 3 runs at ?640p? which isn?t even technically a resolution. However, the interweb detectives did notice that Halo 3?s vertical resolution, when captured from a frame buffer, is indeed 640 pixels. So what gives? Did we short change you 80 pixels?

Naturally it?s more complicated than that. In fact, you could argue we gave you 1280 pixels of vertical resolution, since Halo 3 uses not one, but two frame buffers ? both of which render at 1152x640 pixels. The reason we chose this slightly unorthodox resolution and this very complex use of two buffers is simple enough to see ? lighting. We wanted to preserve as much dynamic range as possible ? so we use one for the high dynamic range and one for the low dynamic range values. Both are combined to create the finished on screen image.

This ability to display a full range of HDR, combined with our advanced lighting, material and postprocessing engine, gives our scenes, large and small, a compelling, convincing and ultimately ?real? feeling, and at a steady and smooth frame rate, which in the end was far more important to us than the ability to display a few extra pixels. Making this decision simpler still is the fact that the 360 scales the
?almost-720p? image effortlessly all the way up to 1080p if you so desire.

In fact, if you do a comparison shot between the native 1152x640 image and the scaled 1280x720, it?s practically impossible to discern the difference. We would ignore it entirely were it not for the internet?s propensity for drama where none exists. In fact the reason we haven?t mentioned this before in weekly updates, is the simple fact that it would have distracted conversation away from more important aspects of the game, and given tinfoil hats some new gristle to chew on as they catalogued their toenail clippings.

Wait a second. Now, I looked at the back of the box for Halo 3. I'm pretty damned sure it says "720P/1080i/1080P" and not "640P."

Frankly, their arrogance and misdirection in this post is enough to keep me from buying the game. I actually planned on getting it eventually once the Falcon chips were confirmed to be on shelves (supposedly they are now in the Halo 3 X360's). Give them kudos if you want to for calling out people who are actually savvy when it comes to technical specs, lord knows it's horrible that people actually give a shit about technical stuff. We should all just buy our big HDTV's, our X360's, our Super Mega Edition of Halo 3, and just sit down, shut up, and enjoy it.

F*ck that. As a consumer, I have a right to be smart about what I'm purchasing. I tend to get irritated with people who don't spend the time necessary to research purchases. Halo 3 has been falsely advertised. Don't insult your customers because they figured it out, Bungie.

Edit: And I didn't even mention the lack of Bungie addressing other serious issues concerning discs in their latest post. Too bad it seems that they're mostly given a pass because it's Halo 3.

It looks great on my TV. Seriously, Burmese monks are nothing compared to you, freedom fighter. STICK IT TO THE ****ING MAN. Seriously, you've inspired me to do something with my life. 80 pixels, that's i-n-s-a-n-e. Why did you do this Bungie? I was planning on buying a house that's 720m2, but no way, nu-uh, that number is a ****ing lie and you know it. I'm trading in my 360 for a gun and I'm going to use that gun on my face.

Thanks for everything Microsoft.

EDIT: I don't know if you're reading this, Bungie, but I WANT MY PIXELS BACK so I'm now upscaling my games to 1080p. That's right, more pixels. Try stealing them, I'm disconnecting from Live.

It looks great on my TV. Seriously, Burmese monks are nothing compared to you, freedom fighter. STICK IT TO THE ****ING MAN. Seriously, you've inspired me to do something with my life. 80 pixels, that's i-n-s-a-n-e. Why did you do this Bungie? I was planning on buying a house that's 720m2, but no way, nu-uh, that number is a ****ing lie and you know it. I'm trading in my 360 for a gun and I'm going to use that gun on my face.

Thanks for everything Microsoft.
I'm glad to see you're among the people who don't give a shit when a company not only lies to your face, but then has the audacity to insult people who figure that out.

Rock on with your bad self.

Hmm I think they should admit to making a mistake if the specifications on the box don't match those in the game rather than downplaying it and making fun of those who discovered the discrepancy.

I'm glad to see you're among the people who don't give a shit when a company not only lies to your face, but then has the audacity to insult people who figure that out.

Rock on with your bad self.

If the case says '720p' it means the game supports that resolution. Which it does. It also says it supports 1080p. Which it does. If it says anywhere on the box that it actually meas that the game is rendered natively in 720p, then I will revoke my ridicule.

So if we assume that's not the case, Bungie never lied. I don't care at all if I'm missing my 80 pixels; certainly not to the extent of hindering myself from spending money on a really fun, good looking game that will provide me with months of playtime.

If the case says '720p' it means the game supports that resolution. Which it does. It also says it supports 1080p. Which it does. If it says anywhere on the box that it actually meas that the game is rendered natively in 720p, then I will revoke my ridicule.

So if we assume that's not the case, Bungie never lied. I don't care at all if I'm missing my 80 pixels; certainly not to the extent of hindering myself from spending money on a really fun, good looking game that will provide me with months of playtime.
Technically any resolution is supported. I find that to be a rather poor way of playing it off. With only 640 vertical lines, it's not HD. It's a wonder how they couldn't squeeze out at least 720 vertical lines. GoW did it. And Halo 3 looks nowhere near as visually impressive.

EDIT: As a consumer, wouldn't you like to be able to find out everything about a product without being insulted for asking?

Oh shit, it's 640p instead of 720p? Guess that means the game sucks. :dozey:

And Bungie had nothing to do with the damaged discs, it's Microsoft that should be talking about that.

[edit] And you could do your
to find out WHY it's 640p before turning into a whiny bitch.

I am definately not a Halo fanboy, and I'm not too keen on bungie either ("Let the speculation begin" is probably the most stupid thing you can say ever when releasing a single picture/group of pictures). However, they are a first party title (as far as I know), and this means they could have easily scaled the game up to 1080i/p if they wanted to and got decent framerates. However, instead they went for the bloom option and most likely pulled it off very well if they halved their resolution to provide a better dynamic range and increased FPS for those parts of the game which might get hectic.

Clearly they didn't think it was a problem (apparently it upscales well), and if it provides a better viewing experience (in terms of HDR) than 1080i (which not everyone can view anyway), then so be it.

And Halo 3 looks nowhere near as visually impressive.

True, but the GoW is a considerably smaller game with far less going on. It should look better. I'm not excusing Bungie, but have been very impressed with how well Halo 3 looks and runs.

I actually find the Halo post CE art direction/graphics to be vomit inducing. I think the whole thing has looked absolutely ugly since 2.
/OT

[edit] And you could do yourto find out WHY it's 640p before turning into a whiny bitch.
I did. Sounds like a rush job to me. They had a deadline, they cut a corner. That's what it sounds like. Instead of taking the time to work through it and optimize the shit out of it they dropped the resolution a little, upscaled it, then pushed it out the door.

Couldn't give a **** about the technical side of it, but Bungie's attitude is pretty unprofessional. I don't like the tone they're using, trying to come across as talking from one "interwebs" user to another. They may think of themselves that way, but it's no way to deal with customers who have a legitamite complaint. Insignificant or not, if you're reading it the way I did, they pretty much just confirmed everyone's concerns and then completely brushed them off in the same breath. The last paragraph in particular doesn't sit right with me.

It's not about the issue itself, which taken alone isn't much to spit the dummy over. It's the way they seem to view their consumer base. They're already the best/fastest selling franchise ever, right? Why should they give a shit? =/

Bungie has always been made up of a bunch of tards; their attitude here isn't new by any means.

I agree with bungie and I love their attitude, when the community acts like retards they should be rightfully called out on it.
TBH honest I'm more insulted by the PC/objective/corporate talk standard responses that most companies give. This kind of reminds me of the time when devs weren't pussies and actually argued on forums with each other.

It should also be noted that the same retartedness is regularly perpetrated against sony or any software on the ps3. And seeing as the OP likes sony and the ps3 I imagine this just revenge.

It should also be noted that the same retartedness is regularly perpetrated against sony or any software on the ps3. And seeing as the OP likes sony and the ps3 I imagine this just revenge.
You could see it that way. But you'd be wrong. I've been debating for the past week about going out and impulsively buying an X360 just to play Halo 3. I almost have a couple times. I stood there with Halo 3 in my hands looking at the X360 box. As much as I think Halo 2's story is shit and Halo's level design was rubbish, I still enjoyed them for co-op. I have an X-box and Halo 1 and 2. I still play them often with my best bud just to run around in co-op kicking ass together.

So, while I may have a PS3, I'm not a Sony fanboy. I didn't rush out and buy Lair or Heavenly Sword. Did I get caught up in some of the hype for them? Yes. But did I stand back and make an educated decision about my purchases? Yes, I did. I didn't want to pay $60 for a game with 6 hours of gameplay and no real replay value. I was ready to pay for a brand new console and game so that I could get a game that is short, but has high replay value and solid multiplayer. I will not buy a game from a company that's ready to insult me as a customer, though.

EDIT: And the only reason I didn't buy Halo 3 and an X360 on impulse was that I wanted to wait for the Falcons. I was even willing to deal with the Halo 3 disc issues. But I'm not about to buy a machine that I'm going to have to send back periodically.

Halo 3 is only short if you run through it once on an easy setting. I've completed level 1 on Legendary 3 or 4 times now (probably taking over 4 hours in total) and everytime has been superb. Just writing this down makes me want to fire the level up and play it again.

It's annoying when companies refuse to admit fault, but it's nothing new. Singling out Bungie is pointless and EVERY big company does the same. It's equally as pointless to let something so minor put you off such a fun game.

:mad:

Does it REALLY matter that much to you? I mean, so many other companies have lied to us to.. even Valve has lied to us. Remember HL2's release date? Bah.
Anyways, just because of one little resolution problem your going to NOT get the game? Every company has lied about something at some point. Now stop whining and go play the freaking game. Now, the real problem is if they try to lie to us about the lie, or deny it.

Does it REALLY matter that much to you? I mean, so many other companies have lied to us to.. even Valve has lied to us. Remember HL2's release date? Bah.
Anyways, just because of one little resolution problem your going to NOT get the game? Every company has lied about something at some point. Now stop whining and go play the freaking game. Now, the real problem is if they try to lie to us about the lie, or deny it.
Do you not see that it's more than just the lack of information? It's how they addressed the people who figured it out. If Valve made fun of me because I pointed out something they failed to acknowledge, I would be turned off by them too.

Yeh, 6 years and two games later and it's still funny :rolling:

for the record: "retartedness" means someone who's currently going through re-becoming a tart ..tart = slut or tasty desset thingy

/me jumps on bandwagon:

Halo 3 sucks

/me jumps off bandwagon:

Halo 3 is the greatest game eveh!

isnt there some happy medium? ..ok it was good but not that good ..at the time we ALL thought it was great however over the years the greatness has faded from our memories

Yeh, 6 years and two games later and it's still funny :rolling:
6 Years? Sounds about right for the XBox to PC conversion cycle. Two games later my bum :p
for the record: "retartedness" means someone who's currently going through re-becoming a tart ..tart = slut or tasty desset thingy
I'd make a 'your mum' joke, but I've already climbed high enough up the humour ziggurat for today.

6 Years? Sounds about right for the XBox to PC conversion cycle. Two games later my bum :p

I'd make a 'your mum' joke, but I've already climbed high enough up the humour ziggurat for today.

are you saying my mom is a ****ing pastry?

oh mom, how could you?!!!

paris%20strawberry%20tart.jpg

/shakes fist at kupoartist

This kind of arrogance actually does it for me. Despite being thoroughly unimpressed with the Halo franchise, I figured I'd pick up Halo 3 any way for a fun run-through and open up more dialogue among my geekier peers. Scratch that now. It may not seem like a big difference, but I abhor this kind of indifferent, haughty attitude from developers and publishers. In the face of a justified criticism, their response is to treat you like an idiot.

**** that, then!

E-Drama!!!

This is the dumbest thing ever. At least Bungie acknowledges that they did this, which doesn't freakin' matter in the first place.

If you're going to get pissed at Halo 3 for doing this, don't forget to get pissed at Tony Hawk Project 8, Perfect Dark Zero, Project Gotham Racing 3, Call of Duty 3, Tomb Raider: Anniversary, Tony Hawk Proving Ground, Skate, and The Darkness... There's TONS others, but those are the ones I found easily online.

The thing about Bungie is that they are saying "Yea, we know about this because we did it, thanks and keep playing"... You want to know what those other devs did for the other games? Most ignore it all together. If the game renders in 720p or 1080p, then you can say it. Who gives a sh*t what the back buffer resolutions are, honestly???

E-Drama!!!

This is the dumbest thing ever. At least Bungie acknowledges that they did this, which doesn't freakin' matter in the first place.

If you're going to get pissed at Halo 3 for doing this, don't forget to get pissed at Tony Hawk Project 8, Perfect Dark Zero, Project Gotham Racing 3, Call of Duty 3, Tomb Raider: Anniversary, Tony Hawk Proving Ground, Skate, and The Darkness... There's TONS others, but those are the ones I found easily online.

The thing about Bungie is that they are saying "Yea, we know about this because we did it, thanks and keep playing"... You want to know what those other devs did for the other games? Most ignore it all together. If the game renders in 720p or 1080p, then you can say it. Who gives a sh*t what the back buffer resolutions are, honestly???

But, but it's cool to bash Halo.

I'd just put this down to Bungie trying to come off cool, but ending up looking a little stupid.

The reason (360 upscales amazingly and it keeps frames rates good) seem legit enough, so the attitude is unneeded.

As for lying, Bungie are amazing a lying, I've never read so many press conferences with blatant lies in them. They're in the spotlight of fame due to Microsoft and Halo, and it got to their heads.

All I need now is another behind-the-scenes documentary about Halo 3 with a Hoobastank soundtrack.

If Valve did this I suspect no one would bat an eye. Just throwing that out there.

If Valve did this I suspect no one would bat an eye. Just throwing that out there.

The only thing that bothers me is the fact that they are insulting the person. Hell, this has nothing to do with halo, it's bungie as the company..that wasn't nice. :(

From my understanding they at least partially made fun of those who figured out Halo's native resolution. Which they really should not have thought of doing. What they should have said is pretty easy.

"Yes the game runs at x for reason y. Those who found this out a quite clever but we didn't think it would matter too much."

Theres no reason to be jerks about it. Heck I'd have thought such a simple question as the games native resolution would have cropped up somewhere way before the games release.

I actually find the Halo post CE art direction/graphics to be vomit inducing. I think the whole thing has looked absolutely ugly since the first one.
/OT

Fixed.

The gameplay is great, the graphics are great, the game as a whole is just great! I could really care less about all of tech crap my 60 was well spent! Welcome to a consumer society!!

Back