Bus driver who refused to take women to Planned Parenthood gets $21K in settlement

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
The Capital Area Rural Transportation System has agreed to pay $21,000 to a bus driver who was fired for refusing to drive two women to a Planned Parenthood clinic last year.

Edwin Graning’s lawsuit claimed officials with the nine-county public transportation system discriminated against him based on his religion after he refused to take the women to Planned Parenthood. Graning was “concerned that he might be transporting a client to undergo an abortion,” said the lawsuit, which was filed last year in U.S. District Court in Austin.

he should have been fired right away for not being able to do his job because of his religious views. you leave that shit at home

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/cont...011/04/25/driver_who_refused_to_bring_wo.html

As an American he is not required to do something that violates his personal religious beliefs as long as his actions do not harm someone. That being said, if he is unable to preform his job then he should find work elsewhere. Its not discrimination if you fire the Muslim butcher you hired because won't cut up the pig carcasses. If he wanted to keep his job he should have shut up and driven them where they wanted, alternatively he should have quit. They were justified in firing him, but the fact religion was involved made this a disaster before it even started.

"As an American he is not required to do something that violates his personal religious beliefs as long as his actions do not harm someone. "

but that woman could have had a baby!!!

or not ...

Planned Parenthood also provides health care services unrelated to abortion.

what was that jebus said about not judging others?

he should have been fired right away for not being able to do his job because of his religious views. you leave that shit at home

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/cont...011/04/25/driver_who_refused_to_bring_wo.html

What the f-ck do you care? You have nothing to believe in, at least this is a man who stands up for what he feels is right. Nothing but bad dream sheep in this place
"what was that jebus said about not judging others?"
He said you will be judged by the way in which you judge others. The dude didn't take her because he had a bad feeling in his gut. You have to follow your heart bro, the bad vibe will get you every time

As an American he is not required to do something that violates his personal religious beliefs as long as his actions do not harm someone

Could it not be said that his actions hurt the potential mother by denying her a life without an unwanted child, and also the child by, in a roundabout way, forcing it to come into a household in which it's not wanted and will likely not be well taken care of?

Mogi67 said:
Nothing but bad dream f uckers in this place

What does "bad dream f*ckers" even mean? You're such an silly goose Mogi.

I don't see how they could have lost this case. The man was hired to do a job, knowing full well that it could require him to take people to places he doesn't approve of. If all of the sudden he has an issue with that and refuses to do it after accepting the job, he should be fired. Hes clearly just being a bad dream f*cker.

EDIT: Oh, they just didn't want to pay their lawyers. God damn lawyers and their expensive ass bad dream f*cking fees.

What the f-ck do you care? You have nothing to believe in, at least this is a man who stands up for what he feels is right. Nothing but bad dream f uckers in this place

lol. it's not his job to "stand up for what's right" he deserves to be fired (upon).

He said you will be judged by the way in which you judge others. The dude didn't take her because he had a bad feeling in his gut. You have to follow your heart bro, the bad vibe will get you every time

the bad vibe leads to dream ****ers

Since when do buses operate like taxis, how would he know where the woman was going or why.

Since when do buses operate like taxis, how would he know where the woman was going or why.

because that's what the bus service does:

"After he was dispatched to take the women to Planned Parenthood in January, "

"The system, operated under an agreement among participating counties, offers bus service on fixed routes and through requested pickup for residents in the non-urban areas of Travis and Williamson counties and in all of Bastrop, Burnet, Blanco, Caldwell, Fayette, Hays and Lee counties."

Sounds like an inefficient waste of taxpayers' money, it should be axed.

who cares. if anything should be axed it should be the bus driver. right between the eyes

What the f-ck do you care? You have nothing to believe in, at least this is a man who stands up for what he feels is right. Nothing but bad dream f uckers in this place

Yeah, this guy is following a proud tradition of bus drivers who stand up for what they believe. Like that guy who stood up to that dumb Rosa Parks chick, lol!

Sounds like an inefficient waste of taxpayers' money, it should be axed.

Bus rides aren't free here, you gotta pay each time you get on. I'm not familiar with how the financials are, but its not entirely funded by taxes. Plus this extended service might cost extra, they don't say.

"Bad dream ****er"...

That sounds really cool, actually.

how is it that I practically agreed with Stern (but viewed it differently in terms of Ethics) and he still though I was arguing with him?

Oh, wait. This is STERN... never mind

I feel like I am the only one who understands Stern on this site. He wasn't arguing against you (or viewing you as arguing against him). He just quoted what you said as a set up for a joke he wanted to make about the driver. It had nothing to do with you, other than using what you said as a jumping off point for a separate thought. Half the people on the site here either have some issues in the field of basic comprehension when it comes to Stern, or they deliberately misunderstand him. Hes just an asshole who is full of shit, like an ancient, not-as-cool version of me.

Wait, you guys do this shit to me also...

You know what, you're all just bad dream f*ckers.

The man refused to do his job. That deserves a dismissal. His religion views are completely irrelevant. Equality means that your should be treated equally regardless of your religion, race or gender and this is a case of a person who refused to do his job.

Sounds like a waste of gas. Take a cab, ****s.
What? What? What? How would you be saving petrol by them all hiring separate cabs? How do you think people hiring cabs separately to each other is saving petrol over people taking a bus?

We don't use petrol here in the states, we use gas. Gas use decreases with more vehicles using it. Get with the times Ireland.

What a shit bus driver.

Also, Gas and Petrol are the same thing.

No, they're not. Petrol is shit from the UK, gas is a good ol' American product for real patriots.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet, motherf*cker.

Yeah but how is 50Hz petrol going to work in a 60Hz gas engine?

We dont smell Roses in here in the states, we smell hamburgers.

Of course this guy realises that his actions enshrine the right of a radical Muslim bus driver to refuse to pick him up if she suspects he's going to a church.

Also, Planned Parenthood provides breast and cervical cancer screening, as well as STD tests and treatments. Fight the good fight, bus driver man.

Breast cancer is best cancer.

I suppose I should post something relevant. Have this man drawn and quartered etc.

Obviously both the driver and the women should be shot as they are an element of unwanted friction in this society.

He would be fully within his rights if she was in fact going to go get an abortion. Granted, if she wasn't going to get one, then he's a real twat and doesn't deserve his job.

Wow, so the guy doesn't do his job and prevents a woman from using a public transport service because he doesn't agree and gets 21 grand?

It's a strange world we live in.

He would be fully within his rights if she was in fact going to go get an abortion.

Well technically he's within his rights no matter what, it just so happens that his employers are also within their rights to fire him for it. But no, he should have no case, even if he did know she was going to get an abortion, which he didn't.

Also, Planned Parenthood provides breast and cervical cancer screening, as well as STD tests and treatments. Fight the good fight, bus driver man.

Charts like this always make me smile.

qfaz9.png

Back