Bus driver who refused to take women to Planned Parenthood gets $21K in settlement

Well technically he's within his rights no matter what, it just so happens that his employers are also within their rights to fire him for it. But no, he should have no case, even if he did know she was going to get an abortion, which he didn't.

Exactly. He is certainly allowed to not do his job due to religious conflicts, and his employer is allowed to fire him for not doing his job. I have a feeling this guy was being backed by some kind of "pro-life" group who had the connections and cash to make a decent enough case (or cause a big enough pr stink) that the company's lawyers would actually have to do work that would have cost them $21k+ anyways.

But can't they counter sue for the expenses? I suppose then they'd be suing an recently unemployed bus driver for $21k+, and obviously they aren't going to get it back.

Since when does a bus driver have an opportunity to refuse specific destinations? Bus drivers aren't taxi cabs. They have a specific route.

What the f-ck do you care? You have nothing to believe in, at least this is a man who stands up for what he feels is right. Nothing but bad dream sheep in this place

He said you will be judged by the way in which you judge others. The dude didn't take her because he had a bad feeling in his gut. You have to follow your heart bro, the bad vibe will get you every time

I assume then that using lord_raken's example you would agree that a muslim working at a butcher shop can deny you pork and he should not be fired for it?

I assume then that using lord_raken's example you would agree that a muslim working at a butcher shop can deny you pork and he should not be fired for it?
Or Sulkdodd's better example of a Muslim bus driver who refuses to bring you to church.

I never knew Mexicans were so racist, Stern.

mexicans are nowhere near as racists as spaniards. especially canadian spaniards who live in canada and play veedeo games and hate on people of all ethnicities especially whitey

Krynn said:
I feel like I am the only one who understands Stern on this site

ya pretty much ..also the brits seem to get me and a few europeons too

Krynn said:
Half the people on the site here [STRIKE]either[/STRIKE] have some issues in the field of basic comprehension

ya they're also surly

Krynn said:
when it comes to Stern

ya I dont get that guy either

lord_raken said:
how is it that I practically agreed with Stern (but viewed it differently in terms of Ethics) and he still though I was arguing with him?

Oh, wait. This is STERN... never mind

.... :

Krynn said:
He wasn't arguing against you (or viewing you as arguing against him). He just quoted what you said as a set up for a joke he wanted to make about the driver. It had nothing to do with you, other than using what you said as a jumping off point for a separate thought.

ya I was treating you like a human being for a change you stupid homo ;)

Since when does a bus driver have an opportunity to refuse specific destinations? Bus drivers aren't taxi cabs. They have a specific route.

This, he has the right to refuse to take her somewhere, but by doing so he very much quit. He should not have gotten a settlement, even though cities tend to settle very easily

In America, you can stand up for whatever you wish, (or you should be able to anyways) just be prepared to take the consequences. It's just as much a company's right to fire somebody for not doing their job as it is for this guy to stand up for what he believes in. He refused to do his job so he got canned. It's as simple as that. It's only a discrimination case imo if the upper-management made the call not to serve that woman. As an employee, the driver is still required to follow company/government guidelines and regulations as I'm only guessing that upper-level decision making probably wasn't a part of his job description.

I don't know why he won that settlement because there was no reason to sue anybody. He wouldn't have looked like as much of an ass if he'd just cut his loss and move on. Maybe find a job that requires less interaction with a diverse community. Or maybe a job whose workforce is less diverse.

Back