Butt Hurt in online games

ShadowArmy

Reaction score
Do you experience butt hurt in online games?

When I was in high school, I was big into games like RtCW, Tribes 2, Counterstrike, Team Fortress Classic, and others. I was usually oblivious to the fact that I wasn't that great, but every once in a while I would get so owned that I would piss and moan about it until I was kicked/banned just because it was the only way I could vent.

Nowadays that doesn't happen, but only because I over analyze everything that I'm doing wrong that gets me killed and quitting the moment I feel even a little butt hurt. Happens so often that I don't bother playing online games anymore.

Only time I've been asspained recently is BFBC2. F*CKING M24 USING CLUSTERED TOGETHER PORT VALDEZ RECON WHORING QUEERS.

I can get mad or frustrated when playing a multiplayer game, but never to the point of taking it out on other players. I just gotta accept the fact that there are many people out there that are better than me and move on.

EDIT: People who exploit games or are jerks in games can go to hell though

i can get quite angry during online games. not scream down the mike angry or pester people with whining, but just sudden bursts of rage where i might slam my fist down on the table or yell curse words out loud. it's almost always directed towards people camping, glitching or exploiting a games overpowered and badly balanced feature.

I never get mad. It's just a game, after all.

I don't get very mad, although I don't play online often (or ever, really -- aside from a little bit 4 years ago). Sometimes I do half decent, sometimes I totally suck. Usually I just think "Wow I am really bad at this" rather than getting angry about it.

I've never gotten mad in a game. Although to be honest, I dislike how if you aren't so good, your internet teammates tend to swear and do everything possible to lower your sense of self-respect.

The most frustrated I've gotten was back in UT2004 days. Never verbally or visibily in the game. But like slamming the mouse down and palming the keyboard. I can't believe that same mouse is alive today. CSS also gave me these moments but it was nothing in comparison really. No other online or offline games make me do any of that. There's the rare "that's bullshit!" *arms up* when things just don't seem right though, heh.

I can get really frustrated in TF2 nowadays.

CS is the only game that has ever made me rage on more than one occasion.

This should be in Gaming btw.

i can get quite angry during online games. not scream down the mike angry or pester people with whining, but just sudden bursts of rage where i might slam my fist down on the table or yell curse words out loud.

This.

However recently if I get extremely angry instead of abusing nearby objects, I just quit and do something else to cool down. What really grinds my gears though is getting banned/kicked for no apparent reason. :frown:

The only time I've ever truly gotten mouth frothingly angry at a game was while watching a buddy play Gears of Teeth 2: The Teethening when it first released. The stupidity of all the frat boys online exceeds those you'd find in Modern Warfare.

I've gotten mad at games before but nothing brings forth such obscenities like MW2.

Play on a ladder or a competition, you will get plenty angry

Capcom Vs. SNK 2

Blissfully Overjoyed vs. Extremely Pissed Off, depending on if I won (or if they rage quit on me again). I never used a mic or headset though, but I just yelled and cussed.

I rage big time at Modern Warfare 2 when I'm having a poor round. Trying to ween myself off it honestly, but I'm struggling to find another decent online game to throw myself at. Red Dead kind of fell through in that regard so. :(

I've always gotten pissed at video games. I think it's just natural. I'm not over the top but I'll yell at my monitor or something. Luckily I never use voice activated mic. Online gaming is even worse because, while I've been pretty good at some games, I've never been the absolute best - so there are always some assholes out there kicking my ass. I always tell myself if I devoted enough time to a game I'd get really good... but I get tired of it and thus always end up getting butthurt in the end (hah).

I actually think its pretty counter productive to improving in games if you never get angry at all.

You just might start taking it less and less serious. (SRS GAMERS!)

Don't hate the game, hate the, the amount of lag!
I curse like a sailor at the computer screen when I start being delayed and denied movement, coursing me into the nearest void.

I mean, I don't understand why people get so angry during games. Ok, I understand that it's frustrating to get killed a lot or something, but I thought the point of games were to feel something else than HATE and ANGER, something like fun?

Save your hate for the enemy. Real enemies.

I mean, I don't understand why people get so angry during games. Ok, I understand that it's frustrating to get killed a lot or something, but I thought the point of games were to feel something else than HATE and ANGER, something like fun?

Save your hate for the enemy. Real enemies.

I think you're misunderstanding. I don't feel compelled to murder someone or something. I think what's happening here is more along the lines of frustration. While I'm sure some people do feel truly malicious during their gaming efforts, I think most are like me and the worst they may do is slam their keyboard or hit their desk... and only if it's some ridiculous thing like getting killed by the same guy the same way like 10 times.

I do get angry sometimes and swear and there's the occasional slam on the keyboard or desk.

However lately I've been aiming for controlling myself. I've found it quite satisfying (in a weird way) to control the anger when something severely frustrating happens.

I only got pissed off if someone was cheating or laming really badly and it ruined an otherwise good game.

My best game of all time was when we were being ass raped as Ts in Counter-Strike 10 vs 10 on a public server. We were mostly camping out, trying not to die, and I could only afford a desert eagle, but that round I got all 10 kills. The last 3 CTs I had to hunt down through the map and ambush one at a time.

TF2 is the only reference point I have, but I guess it makes me pretty butthurt and pissed off frequently. I don't get annoyed at the people who kill me, however, so much as at my team for what I consider to be crappy team play, poor cover, or whatever. It never reaches a desk slamming level, but I'll often mutter 'oh for ****'S SAKE' or variations of 'what the **** are you doing, pussy' when our attack/defense falls apart or when I spectate someone who's being a pansy.

There was a time not long ago when I'd voice my concerns in chat, but I've discovered that no matter how tactful and motivational you try to be, no matter how shitty someone is playing, how badly their team is losing, or how dumb their class choice is, some people won't tolerate the suggestion that they're not the dog's bollocks. Often they just settle into an even shittier way of playing, out of spite. So I stick to muttering, then eventually quitting.

Actually I find single player games far more frustrating. There's something about coming up against faceless, cheating AI, whose feelings you can't even hurt, which is far worse.

See, I used to hear this kind of thing all the time from my parents. "Heh, raging again at your silly video games, Bad Hat?"

Then I'd hear them screaming from the other end of the house watching sports. Yeah, nice double standard, guys. ;)

I actually think its pretty counter productive to improving in games if you never get angry at all.

You just might start taking it less and less serious. (SRS GAMERS!)
I think anger can be good or bad depending on the game.

I'm not sure if it's been proven, but I think anger activates the flight or fight response which will mean:

* Acceleration of heart and lung action
* Paling or flushing, or alternating between both
* Inhibition of stomach and upper-intestinal action (digestion slows down or stops)
* General effect on the sphincters of the body
* Constriction of blood vessels in many parts of the body
* Liberation of nutrients (particularly fat and glucose) for muscular action
* Dilation of blood vessels for muscles
* Inhibition of the lacrimal gland (responsible for tear production) and salivation
* Dilation of pupil (mydriasis)
* Relaxation of bladder
* Inhibition of erection
* Auditory exclusion (loss of hearing)
* Tunnel vision (loss of peripheral vision)
* Acceleration of instantaneous reflexes
* Shaking

Also
Physiological responses to anger include an increase in the heart rate, preparing the person to move, and increase of the blood flow to the hands, preparing them to strike. Perspiration increases (particularly when the anger is intense).
So better blood flow, faster reflexes, possibly faster finger and hand movements, but having sweaty hands can make you slip up your game. Also your asshole tightens up and you don't have to pee.

The other thing is, anger clouds your mind, so you won't be able to think as well. By abstaining from anger, you have a better chance to outthink your opponent. I don't have a source on this one, but I'm fairly certain of it. If you don't believe an emotion can affect clear thought, think about whenever you've tried to talk to a girl you like and start stuttering and can't think of what to say.

Say I'm playing a one-on-one fighting game, I try to stay focused by not getting angry, and instead go for a bit of adrenaline. You'll get better oxygen flow throughout your body and lungs. Also increased energy production. This is great on an arcade controller for fast as hell speeds with the button presses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrenaline

I also think getting nervous would hurt your game, but I believe that is harder to control for most people.

So what do you think about all this shit? Finely tuned weapon or ruthless berserk button masher?

I think anger can be good or bad depending on the game.

I'm not sure if it's been proven, but I think anger activates the flight or fight response which will mean:

* Acceleration of heart and lung action
* Paling or flushing, or alternating between both
* Inhibition of stomach and upper-intestinal action (digestion slows down or stops)
* General effect on the sphincters of the body
* Constriction of blood vessels in many parts of the body
* Liberation of nutrients (particularly fat and glucose) for muscular action
* Dilation of blood vessels for muscles
* Inhibition of the lacrimal gland (responsible for tear production) and salivation
* Dilation of pupil (mydriasis)
* Relaxation of bladder
* Inhibition of erection
* Auditory exclusion (loss of hearing)
* Tunnel vision (loss of peripheral vision)
* Acceleration of instantaneous reflexes
* Shaking

Also
So better blood flow, faster reflexes, possibly faster finger and hand movements, but having sweaty hands can make you slip up your game. Also your asshole tightens up and you don't have to pee.

The other thing is, anger clouds your mind, so you won't be able to think as well. By abstaining from anger, you have a better chance to outthink your opponent. I don't have a source on this one, but I'm fairly certain of it. If you don't believe an emotion can affect clear thought, think about whenever you've tried to talk to a girl you like and start stuttering and can't think of what to say.

Say I'm playing a one-on-one fighting game, I try to stay focused by not getting angry, and instead go for a bit of adrenaline. You'll get better oxygen flow throughout your body and lungs. Also increased energy production. This is great on an arcade controller for fast as hell speeds with the button presses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrenaline

I also think getting nervous would hurt your game, but I believe that is harder to control for most people.

So what do you think about all this shit? Finely tuned weapon or ruthless berserk button masher?

This happens to me a lot, especially in competitions or close games. When it does happen, I play as close to flawlessly as possible. My heart races, my vision focuses, I do things on instinct, and I react much faster. I've tried to duplicate it willingly, but I cannot.

edit: I also think it's unrelated to anger. It's just excitement or possibly a type of fear.

You might have an increase in reflex and jittery APM, or eye movement, or mouse movement, or what have you, but when it comes to a deeper level of gaming, as strategy, metagame, or anything along those lines, being overly angry can have a really negative impact on your performance.

Good for pwning newbs in pubs or normal matches, but with something on the line, like a competition, I'd prefer not to get too angry, as it will hinder my performance.

I think I've raged at my quickload button in singleplayer games more than anything online.

I do tend to develop a huge potty-mouth in Starcraft 2 games, however. Even when I'm winning.

I can vocalize some very nasty things when getting frustrated with a game. And yes, sometimes I can't help but voice my... dismay in chat.

I don't scream into mics or anything though unless, y'know, it's already happening and I figure why not jump on the wagon.

Starcraft 2 matches when they do something lame like proxy 2 gate, early pool, and shit like that. Annoys the hell out of me because I want to prepare for a longer game to help my macro.

I often get angry and frustrated with online games, usually screaming out obscenity loud - slamming the keyboard or desk can occasionally happen. I don't like doing it at all and mostly regret it afterwards but yeah, I'm bad at controlling my anger and feel embarrassed after the rage.

I never blame it on the players though like writing crap or getting all personal about it. I just keep it to myself and move on.

I can get really frustrated in TF2 nowadays.

Same here. The first months when the game was new and fresh however I didn't get angry at all when things started to get ugly - though the more I played the more frustrated I would get when it went bad. Nowadays I can rage hard when being in a completely retarded team or continuously getting killed by annoying means.

Stupid people make me rage but that's about it.

"Do something useful"
"I'm just playing the game lol"
"Yep, spy; bottom of the scoreboard, no points all round."

Of course the most rage inducing thing is cowardice team mates. Why are you so afraid of dying in a videogame? Take a chance ffs more often than not it pays off.

TF2 making anyone mad boggles my freakin' mind! It's such a great just-for-fun game! Of course, I'm almost always an MVP just because I'm awesome.

TF2 has given me some of the most infuriating moments I've experienced in any game.

Maybe that's just because it's the freshest shooter in my game library I still play. But... damn, can it get me raged.

I don't really get upset at people online. I disconnect, go find another server if it is the other peoples fault (hackers or whatever condition that you can't really play in). Hell, even if there is a hacker in a CS server I stay in and see how many times I can kill him.

Usually I get frustrated with myself for falling for the same thing (like campers). Either I push myself and prevail or I end up 5-20 and sign off early from frustration with myself. If that is the case usually it is because I'm tired or I'm not thinking as clearly.
I love it when I'm out gunned but still thinking clearly and my adrenalin kicks in and I end up out playing the better players.
Maybe fight/flight but not angry. No rage there but it's a challenge.
Of course the most rage inducing thing is cowardice team mates. Why are you so afraid of dying in a videogame? Take a chance ffs more often than not it pays off.
This! At first I was thinking people out playing me but wasn't even thinking of teammates...

Back