cahe mdue's 3d arts thread

That's a pretty nice model, a lot of attention to detail. Is it a sub-d model? I'd love to see a low poly version with normal maps and textures.

Wtf is going on here? A first-time poster makes a new thread, and a first time poster is the first reply? I think this hasn't happened since the site first started up. I... I dont even think the gravity of this situation has fully hit me yet... its astounding!

Anyways, the model is pretty decent. A little lacking in the details department (in spite of what chemical said). Need to add in those screws and the axle that the stock swivels on. Also, in the pic where its in the compacted mode, the stock is in the wrong position... not sure if that was intentional. And since this is the high poly, you might as well bevel the edges on any of the sharp corners.

Wtf is going on here? A first-time poster makes a new thread, and a first time poster is the first reply? I think this hasn't happened since the site first started up. I... I dont even think the gravity of this situation has fully hit me yet... its astounding!

Anyways, the model is pretty decent. A little lacking in the details department (in spite of what chemical said). Need to add in those screws and the axle that the stock swivels on. Also, in the pic where its in the compacted mode, the stock is in the wrong position... not sure if that was intentional. And since this is the high poly, you might as well bevel the edges on any of the sharp corners.

Lol, we're in another dimension. I agree that the gun could use some chamfering on the hard edges, to catch the lighting when it's rendered. Assuming it's intended for some game development purpose, he could probably get away with a lot of detail just in the texturing, and be better off in terms of optimization. Also, depending on whether it's meant for first or third person view, some more detail could be spent in either the side or back of the gun.

But like, I used to post here a few years ago under another username, which I totally forgot about until after I had re-registerd. I was Kaptain H.

Recently finished up a revolver project. I wish I knew how to add the cylinder holes... working on that... it's not really done but I need to move on to other projects...

RR_Final_1.gif

RR_Final_2.gif

RR_Final_3.gif

RR_Final_4.gif

RR_Final_5.gif

RR_Final_6.gif

RR_Final_7.gif

But like, I used to post here a few years ago under another username, which I totally forgot about until after I had re-registerd. I was Kaptain H.

Oh, I remember you. You had some really nice TF2 fanart going on.

cahemdue: You could pretty easily do a boolean and just clean up the geometry afterwards.

cahemdue: You could pretty easily do a boolean and just clean up the geometry afterwards.

I have no idea what the tri count is, but if it's really high poly and he does a boolean extraction along with like, turbosmooth, reconnecting all of the edge loops could be a gigantic mess. 0:

What program is this done in?

Thats maya, and his mesh looks clean and low-poly enough to be really easy to do a boolean.

Just make sure you save any changes before you try a boolean in maya. They're super finicky and can just crash maya if you have some weird geometry.

You need to add some AA to those renders! Otherwise they look pretty cool.

I'm sorry what is AA?

Working on a complete concept submachine I dreampt up a few nights back. I was in the hospital last night/this morning for a serious panic attack, recovering atm with relaxing modeling.

AA is Anti-Aliasing. Its why your screenshots have jaggy edges. That just the way maya displays things in the viewport though, unless your force AA through your videocard.

I have laptop... no graphics but on-board.

Any hoo,

Recently finished following a highpoly tutorial, here's my UMP 45 that came from it.

UMP45_1.gif

UMP45_2.gif

UMP45_3.gif

UMP45_4.gif

UMP45_5.gif

UMP45_6.gif

Needs scope, silencer, etc but it's a good base model to pimp on stuff

This stuff could look great if you textured it, I hope that's your plan!

with so many quality posts, this makes me finally want to install my copy of TurboCAD

Sorry actually HK USC Civilian short mag... not UMP

Doubt texture, I know nothing about it and have no idea where to start. Everything I try I get headaches from it, too much for my simple brain to wrap itself around lol

fooling around with barrel length on the Rude Revolver .600

rrc1.gif

rrc2.gif

Railgun preview...

needs work on various parts. It is NOT completed. Hope to finish later today.

railgun1.gif

railgun2.gif

railgun3.gif

Texture these or your wasting your time :p

Texture these or your wasting your time :p

This. Or at least set up some dynamic lighting so the untextured renders stand artistically on their own. They're all really cool, but the presentation could be touched up a bit.

========
========
Mar 21st--------

Updated: Railgun
Automatic pistol new
13mm Jackal pistol [request on other forumz]

Jackal 13 mm thing. I'm working on the low poly at the moment. Here are some progress shots.....

hellsingautopistol1.gif

hellsingautopistol2.gif

hellsingautopistol3.gif

I have made a TON OF AWESOME progress on other models. The portable rail gun, from previous page at the bottom has had a lot of added details. Some errors remain but it's coming along very nicely.

railgun4a.gif

railgun4b.gif

railgun4c.gif

That last pic was just for me really.

Also I am VERY CLOSE to finishing an automatic pistol concept I found on the internetz. It was already turned into a model by someone else but I created another one with my own spin on it. Pretty much done with it, looking at it now.

mdsautopistol1.gif

mdsautopistol2.gif

mdsautopistol3.gif

mdsautopistol4.gif

mdsautopistol5.gif

Update to chopper [for a small CNC3 mod I'm a part of]

scnc3modchopper3.gif

scnc3modchopper4.gif

Got my copy of Photoshop CS4... starting to texture. Serious finally, feels good to add another skill [however shaky at the moment] to my repertoire.

That and redoing my whole website... working hard on that.

I'm feeling a lot more comfortable and creative... I can now model AND texture my work without relying on anyone. Getting to be a pro slowly but slowly. :cool:

April 12th, 2010
Update to the railgun model
Railgun_WIP1.gif

Railgun_WIP2.gif

Railgun_WIP3.gif

Railgun_WIP4.gif

I made some swords for the Oblivion modding community this morning.
Sword_Trio_1.gif

Sword_Trio_2.gif

Sword_Trio_3.gif

Sword_Trio_4.gif

Sword_Trio_5.gif

srsly imma addict

Started a series of weapons over on my tesnexus forum thread... look in the off-topic section :).

Medieval blade series part 1

Max count not much over 1000 tris, I finished part one of the series a few mins ago. I think only one needs a redo, the small curvy knife.

MedievalBlades_1.gif

MedievalBlades_1_A.gif

MedievalBlades_1_B.gif

MedievalBlades_1_C.gif

MedievalBlades_1_D.gif

MedievalBlades_1_E.gif

MedievalBlades_1_F.gif

MedievalBlades_1_G.gif

MedievalBlades_1_G[2].gif

Good luck with the texturing, I can't wait to see what you do with it. I really like your med/low poly stuff. The high poly thing is also really cool, but I think the hard edges in some places are just a bit soft from the "Maya turbosmooth equivalent" (I have no idea what you use) and could benefit from a chamfer at 0 or near .01-ish value. Something like that should give a crisper look. Keep it up!

I'm used to using Lightwave/Modo so I'm sorry if my terms are different from yours, but I assume you're going to subdivide everything in your models in the end, yes? Because having models that half-normal and half-subdivided can cause headaches down the road.

No subdivs... straight up polies. I've not used subdivs in a long damn time. I don't see their use really, except maybe speeding up the process but I'm really fast so I don't bother. Maybe there's something I'm missing but I don't think I'm hurting.

Tons of swords n shit left to do... that was part 1. I figure I have 2 or 3 more parts left. Gonna try to get them done between today and tomorrow.

You don't use any sub-devision in game development. Except maybe using high poly meshes for normal maps.

sub-devision = kills game.

You don't use any sub-devision in game development. Except maybe using high poly meshes for normal maps.

sub-devision = kills game.

Yeah, but that's still a high poly object for every art asset in the game, regardless if you "see" it. Unless you're smart and use Crazybump!

I think he was talking about actual sub-d geometry, not just normal poly meshes with lots of subdivisions.

Oh... this conversation is confusing me then. I'm just going to walk slowly back out of the thread and leave you to it. :D

Yeah, but that's still a high poly object for every art asset in the game, regardless if you "see" it. Unless you're smart and use Crazybump!

Quite right. You would not create a high poly asset for every object. But its to easy to generalize with this kind of stuff. Its so very much dependent on the game, the perspective, cameras, tech, hardware.

But anything really where you get up close and personal (3rd person, fps, beat um' ups)... chances are the "stars" of the show are going use high res meshs used to bake normals as they produce better results. But still the final model will not have a silly poly count and really shouldn't need it to make a game look good.

Crazy bump produces normal maps, high maps and parallax maps that should work fine for any environment work. But again this really depends on what the game is.

No subdivs... straight up polies. I've not used subdivs in a long damn time. I don't see their use really, except maybe speeding up the process but I'm really fast so I don't bother. Maybe there's something I'm missing but I don't think I'm hurting

Ok it seems like I've got my terms mixed up, so i'll point out what I mean when I say it looks like you're using half-normal and half-subdivided polygons.
mdsautopistol5.png

Do you see what I mean? If these models are made for a game, then when you export them (depending on what program you're using) you either end up with 4 times the geometry on those subdivided parts, producing a lot of unnecessary polygons (if i remember right, this will what should actually happen when you export it to another file format, it's been 7 years since i've done that though) or the models simply wont work in the game you're exporting them to.

Also, if you have a look at the bottom of your hilt on the last sword, you've got a polygon thats got something like 10 sides to it. That's an N-gon. You're much better off quading N-gons up now before you try to put them into a game because a lot of games don't support them and they can lead to weird render errors in a lot of 3d programs too.

Thats not sub d, its just the smooth preview maya has. Its still normal polygons, but when you hit the 3 key, it shows you what it would look like if you smoothed it. If he were to export that to an engine, it would be the same amount of polygons you see there, but it wouldn't be smooth looking, it would just be the low res shape with wasted polygons. But I'm sure he is planning to make actual low res geometry for them without the holding edges and such.

Thats not sub d, its just the smooth preview maya has. Its still normal polygons, but when you hit the 3 key, it shows you what it would look like if you smoothed it. If he were to export that to an engine, it would be the same amount of polygons you see there, but it wouldn't be smooth looking, it would just be the low res shape with wasted polygons. But I'm sure he is planning to make actual low res geometry for them without the holding edges and such.

Ahhh ok. You see, to Lightwave and Modo, that is exactly what Subdivided geometry looks like and instead of hitting 3, you hit tab to subdivide it.

Therefore they are better modelling programs than Maya. Especially Modo.

Thats not sub d, its just the smooth preview maya has. Its still normal polygons, but when you hit the 3 key, it shows you what it would look like if you smoothed it.

Oh lol, I remember that now. I'm so used to the sub-object levels of Max and hitting the 1-5 keys constantly when I model. I kept hitting 3 in Maya and screaming HOW DID I SUB-D THAT AND WHY WON'T IT UNDOOOO until I realized what it actually was.

Ahhh ok. You see, to Lightwave and Modo, that is exactly what Subdivided geometry looks like and instead of hitting 3, you hit tab to subdivide it.

Therefore they are better modelling programs than Maya. Especially Modo.

Yes, because having a preview so you don't actually have to subdivide is worse than actually subdividing every time.

And yes, I know you were just making a joke. Obviously nobody would say Modo is a better modelling program, nor would anyone ever even suggest that lightwave could come close to comparing.

Yes, because having a preview so you don't actually have to subdivide is worse than actually subdividing every time.

And yes, I know you were just making a joke. Obviously nobody would say Modo is a better modelling program, nor would anyone ever even suggest that lightwave could come close to comparing.

Haha, you've never actually used either have you?

Back