Catcher in the Rye

Dan

Tank
Reaction score
So I just read Catcher in the Rye because everyone says its a must read. Supposedly it's very popular with crazy people and psychotics. But I gotta say, it just came off as a book about teen angst. It was a good read, but I didn't find it life altering. Maybe if I was 16 I would have been more engaged by it. I'm pretty sure everyone was a teenager once and knows how it feels. I mean, look at punk rock, it's all saying the same kind of thing.

You're a god damn prince Dan.

I loved this book as much as it made me angry reading it about a moany teenage sod. The symbolism of the red hunting hat, the alienation and preservation of childhood, reflected in the unchanging nature of the museum which he loved so much. It all works on many levels, an essential read indeed.

Well I was 16 when I read it, and I felt nothing. He just kept whining about how everyone is phony. That bitch had Lennon killed too, so that doesn't exactly make me like him better.

So I just read Catcher in the Rye because everyone says its a must read. Supposedly it's very popular with crazy people and psychotics. But I gotta say, it just came off as a book about teen angst. It was a good read, but I didn't find it life altering. Maybe if I was 16 I would have been more engaged by it. I'm pretty sure everyone was a teenager once and knows how it feels. I mean, look at punk rock, it's all saying the same kind of thing.

Should we put a petition in to rename the book, "Emo In The Rye"?

it's like finding a copy of Macbeth if you've lived on a deserted island all your life ..if you dont understand the context in which it was written all you get out of the book is plot progression from point A to point B

Yea, i just read it aswell and im sure a lot of the issues etc went right over my head.

I will read it again.

Man, I've never read it, I might have to...everybody else has!!

whats a rye anyways?

and someone summarize the book for me, kthx

I still have to read the book for English class. Wish me luck.

I read it for English class my junior year of high school. Awesome book.

A decent, average book. Way too overhyped and overrated. I came off enjoying it, but being ultimately disappointed with it. I was expecting so much more.

If you like Catcher in the Rye, you're bound to like Less than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis (yes, same guy who wrote American Psycho). That's Catcher in the Rye done how I imagined it would be.

I'm not sure... the more I think about it, the more I enjoy the book. But I'm still not sure.

It's a great book, because all I knew about it beforehand was: It was on the English syllabus, and it was related to Ghost in the Shell somehow.

Loved it as well. It was just a bonus that it was for school too

Back