Christian attacks Jews, Muslim comes to aid

HunterSeeker

Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/12/sub...ack/index.html

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A Muslim man jumped to the aid of three Jewish subway riders after they were attacked by a group of young people who objected to one of the Jews saying "Happy Hanukkah," a spokeswoman for the three said Wednesday.

The New York Police Department's Hate Crimes Task Force is investigating Friday's incident on the Q train.

Friday's altercation on the Q train began when somebody yelled out "Merry Christmas," to which rider Walter Adler responded, "Happy Hanukkah," said Toba Hellerstein.

"Almost immediately, you see the look in this guy's face like I've called his mother something," Adler told CNN affiliate WABC.

Two women who were with a group of 10 rowdy people then began to verbally assault Adler's companions with anti-Semitic language, Hellerstein said.

One member of the group allegedly yelled, "Oh, Hanukkah. That's the day that the Jews killed Jesus," she said.

When Adler tried to intercede, a male member of the group punched him, she said.

Another passenger, Hassan Askari -- a Muslim student from Bangladesh -- came to Adler's aid, and the group began physically and verbally assaulting him, Hellerstein said.

"A Muslim-American saved us when our own people were on the train and didn't do anything," Adler said. Watch Adler describe the altercation ?

Don't Miss
FBI: Hate crimes jump nearly 8 percent
Adler pulled the emergency brake and the train stopped at DeKalb Avenue station, where police came on board.

The 10 suspects, ages 19 to 20, were taken into custody, said Brooklyn district attorney spokesman Sandy Silverstein.

Askari was first handcuffed alongside them, but he was released when Adler told police he was not an attacker, Hellerstein said.

Alder was treated at Long Island College Hospital for injuries that included a fractured nose and a cut lip that required several stitches, while Askari suffered a black eye, Hellerstein said.

The suspects are to appear in Brooklyn District Court on February 7 on charges that include assault, attempted assault, menacing, harassment, unlawful assembly, riot and disorderly conduct, Silverstein said.

The New York Police Department's Hate Crimes Task Force is investigating the incident, and will determine whether the suspects will be charged with hate crimes, Officer Philip Hauser told

Just to break up the usual rythm of many religion-related threads on this forum.

They were probably skinheads of neo-nazis.

"Oh, Hanukkah. That's the day that the Jews killed Jesus,"

lol, that's almost sig worthy

kinda sad that they need to identify the religious affiliation of the people inolved just to make it newsworthy .. the hate crime/assault alone wasnt enough I guess

and americans talk so much about that violent religion islam

Oh, Hanukkah. That's the day that the Jews killed Jesus

I can just imagine the looks on his little stormfront.org buddies when/if they find out he said that! :rolleyes:

I'm willing to bet the people involved werent neo-nazis, skin heads or white supremacists ..i bet they looked like anyone else. I hear this sort of ignorant hate pretty much every day on the internets ..there's definately been an upsurgence of relgious/cultural fueled hate in the last 5 years or so

Are we keeping score or something?? :|

well it looks like,just wait till someone post about stuff islamics have done and them other one to post about the inquisiton and such trying to "top" the previous one

I'm willing to bet the people involved werent neo-nazis, skin heads or white supremacists ..i bet they looked like anyone else. I hear this sort of ignorant hate pretty much every day on the internets ..there's definately been an upsurgence of relgious/cultural fueled hate in the last 5 years or so

I'm willing to bet you are right. They were just some average racist rednecks which is fairly common in this country.

Whatever the bigots who attacked them were, it is nice that a muslim is seen in the press of doing something good.

The ironic truth is that Most Americans hate Jews, even though their government considers them our greatest ally.. I R disappointed at my countrymen.

Well praise the day, a true american story to warm all our hearts. This is a load of shit.

and americans talk so much about that violent religion islam

Christians don't suicide bomb people in other countries.

Not all islams are bad, only the hardcore radical ones.

Remember a lot of americans are also not aware and don't know the perspective from both sides.

My cousin served in the Gulf war, retired at 60 and told me about the nice people and the bad. The difference was the nice ones were serving him water, while the other ones tried to kill the nice ones because the nice ones were serveing the bad guy's enemy.

Following me?

Christians don't suicide bomb people in other countries.

Not all islams are bad, only the hardcore radical ones.

Remember a lot of americans are also not aware and don't know the perspective from both sides.

My cousin served in the Gulf war, retired at 60 and told me about the nice people and the bad. The difference was the nice ones were serving him water, while the other ones tried to kill the nice ones because the nice ones were serveing the bad guy's enemy.

Following me?

Christians do however, give the pagans smallpox and kill them by the millions. Few religions are without blood on its hands.

Seems like just regular old stupidity can even evolve into falsified beliefs that make me want to shoot the tards in the head with a brick-gun.

The ironic truth is that Most Americans hate Jews, even though their government considers them our greatest ally.. I R disappointed at my countrymen.

Ive never heard of this. We stereotype them a whole lot, but we do that to every group in existence. Ive personally seen a lot more hate towards atheists, gays, blacks, and even christians that i have see towards jews.

I wouldn't say Americans hate Jews so much as they love to stereotype them, ie. being cheap, having a big nose, making fun of Orthodox Jews, etc.

Also I've never heard or seen anyone hate on Christians before; gays big time, Mexicans is another big one, blacks too.

you're not looking hard enough ..plenty of people loath christians ..but more the preachy in your face kind than the run of the mill variety ..for example I dont know of a single person who doesnt want to curbstomp jehovah's witnesses as soon as they're mentioned in a conversation

So where's the news stories about the thousands of Atheists who jump in to save a stranger while putting themselves in danger?.

Oh right, they don't believe in a God.

Whats religion got to do with doing the right thing, or at least something noble?....oh I get it, its because religious folk are taught to hate each other so it becomes big news when someone ignores their religious indoctrination to save someone of an opposing faith.

I'm more inclined to believe it was a group of thugs picking on a group of victims who were protected by someone who listened to their own moral compass.

Why religion needs to be brought into it I dunno.

So where's the news stories about the thousands of Atheists who jump in to save a stranger while putting themselves in danger?.

Because nobody goes up and outright asks "DUR DO YOU BELIEVE IN GOD?!".

If they don't make a big deal out of their atheism, it's not going to be brought up unless specifically asked about.

Next time I rescue a baby and dog from a burning house, I'm going to say that I only did it because of atheism.

Oh right, they don't believe in a God.

Whats religion got to do with doing the right thing, or at least something noble?....oh I get it, its because religious folk are taught to hate each other so it becomes big news when someone ignores their religious indoctrination to save someone of an opposing faith.

I'm more inclined to believe it was a group of thugs picking on a group of victims who were protected by someone who listened to their own moral compass.

Why religion needs to be brought into it I dunno.

Well, that just makes peoples hearts warm and fuzzy. I mean, with the state of the world, things are crazy right now. It's nice to know that with Jews and Muslims and Christians involved in war right now, that in some places, we can all hold hands. :angel:

"Oh, Hanukkah. That's the day that the Jews killed Jesus,"

lol, that's almost sig worthy

kinda sad that they need to identify the religious affiliation of the people inolved just to make it newsworthy .. the hate crime/assault alone wasnt enough I guess

I lol'd.

bah. it doesnt sound religious to me. however no religion or belief is innocent in that regard. everyone is taught and has their own ideas, its when we choose to be so intolerant of other ideas that it becomes a problem. what a shame.

im not Jewish, ive never celbrated Hanukkah, but i dont look down on Jewish or Hanukkah either.

btw i think saying that most Americans hate Jews is total FAIL on your part PortalStormzzzz. just not a very intelligent thing to say, nor is it fair.

btw i think saying that most Americans hate Jews is total FAIL on your part PortalStormzzzz. just not a very intelligent thing to say, nor is it fair.

It really is an interesting debate, isn't it, because the Zionist Christians are really not "friends" of Israel because of the whole "when all the Jews are in Israel the Messiah will rise again and then we can kill those rotten Jews, haha!" thing.

Back