City-17's location

Sulkdodds said:
I don't think it's mean to be any specific city. More of an algamation of several different cities of the same style to create a sort of archetypal Eastern European/Russian city.
He speaks teh shens

It has been mentioned earlier in this thread that NLO may refer to НЛО, which is "100% bulgarian". It's also, as mentioned, means UFO in Latvian, and Russian. I see more references to former Soviet Union than Bulgaria.

Makes me cringe when all bulgarians begin shouting "OMG VIKTOR ANTONOV IS BULGARIAN AND THUS C17 IS IN BULGARIA AND EVRYTHING IS REFERING TO BULGARIA LOLZ".

Those Maps really don't make a lot of sense, but they all look a bit like Odesa & the surrounding areas, but the North pointers don't match...

Sorry, t'was a muck up of my computer. They BOth Origonally said the same thing, so I changed them...

Right I know this is all hear-say and everyone is just having a bit of a laugh, but (and shout at me if this has been mentioned before) you are saying that City 17 may be a city in Russia or there or there abouts, but what about Ravenholm? Its not exactly a made up name and it doesn't sound in the slightest Russian! And we have evidence of that being its official name due to you getting to pick up the sign at the start of the level.

Anyway just thought I would throw a wee spanner into the works!

hint to all go to "ravenholm" mission and look around the background buildings....you'll see something...in russian ;)

Except that Father Grigori has a Russian name, Russian accent, and his church is based on the Russian Orthodox design.

Ok, look at this pic of an ingame map of City 17.

d1_canals_110019.jpg

Now, look at this map of the area of the Russian city.

attachment.php

They look a LOT alike... the peninsula and all?

I'm not actually that interested in 'where HL2 is', but just got bored and thought some people might wanna see this...

I have linked several images here of Shkotovo (in Russia) that I took from Google Earth (the yellow lines are roads):

Zoomed Out

----------------------------------

Shkotovo Peninsula

----------------------------------

Zoomed In - Shkotovo

Iv'e done my best to piece together the maps available in Half-life 2. Iv'e also made picture in paint of the Citadel City-scape from some images around the web.

city197pt.jpg

And the Aerial View...

city1737zz.png

Oh, just noticed that Moto-X_Pat suspected there was a City 14 a while back. Well I was playing Chapter 1 today & one of the Citizens staring through the fence near the ration dispenser said

'Goddarn Breen, thought I'd heard the last of him back in city 14'

or at least something to that effect

losermeetsworld said:
Ok, look at this pic of an ingame map of City 17.

d1_canals_110019.jpg

Now, look at this map of the area of the Russian city.

attachment.php

They look a LOT alike... the peninsula and all?
Doesn't comply with the North arrow though. I'd say that C17 may be somewhere along the black sea.

Hi, guys. I live in Vladivostok. Шкотово (Shkotovo) is a little village so it can't be City 17.

All is well with your theories (i'm surprised i haven't found this post earlier), but there is only 1 problem. The suppression device is located in the Belgrade Parliament building (this has been confirmed by Viktor himself), so i'd say it's a mix, but it is probably somewhere in the balkans, not russia (my guess is somewhere on the adriatic coast, with heavily modified terrain, probably monte negro or croatia. And yes, the whole balkans has that old architecture feel of the communism era.

Back