Comeback for Shephard

Dalamari said:
SHEPARD ISN'T ****ING COMING BACK! QUIT MAKING THE GOD DAMN THREADS ALREADY!

I HOPE THAT GOON GOT SKULL ****ED BY A VORTIGAUNT!l

QFT!

Dalamari said:

Thats...Thats perfect :O

Skull ****ed by vortigaunts and locked away for what seemed like an eternity..now its time for revenge...

Dalamari said:

I'm surprised this hasn't been sigged yet.

Shephard became a hot dog vendor under the control of Gman, until the Combine came and took him away to be lobotomised as a human sample.

There's your closure.

99.vikram said:
Shephard became a hot dog vendor under the control of Gman, until the Combine came and took him away to be lobotomised as a human sample.

There's your closure.

That wasn't funny, but hey, it got the job done.

Samon said:
Actually alot of the dialogue in HL2 defines Freeman as well.

For once, I'm going to have to disagree with you when it comes to Shepard.

Gordon may be slightly more developed as a character, but not by leaps and bounds. Freeman also had the benefit of being in HL2, giving him more exposition, whereas Shepard did not. In the end, hating Shepard is pretty stupid because, for most intent and purposes, he's identical to Freeman: the player largely fills their shoes.

I don't need him as a PC. I don't even need him as an elaborate NPC on par with Barney or Alyx. Hell, just headcrab him or kill him off some way if that's what it takes. I merely want closure.

I don't hate Shephard. I'm fine with him. I'm not fine with the amount of stupid attention he gets, and the constant: lol bring him back.

what for.

Samon said:
what for.

Closure. The stupidest way possible, for all I care. Have him go insane and choke on broken glass, or slip on a banana peel. That is unless Valve feels they could make a convenient plot device out of him (if it's not already been written up).

That's not closure. That's open-ended. A cliffhanger that apparently will never be resolved.

I guess you could say "Well, he'll just stay in stasis forever", but that strikes me not only as weak, but a total waste.

No, I agree with Samon on this one. Shepherd being stuck in the void is closure on his story, at the very least until the G-Man is out of the picture or his powers are.

kupoartist said:
No, I agree with Samon on this one. Shepherd being stuck in the void is closure on his story, at the very least until the G-Man is out of the picture or his powers are.

Even so, I doubt Shephard will ever play a major role in the story. And that's the way it should be I guess.

I loved Op4 and playing as Shepherd (although you didn't get to be evil enouigh, but that's another story), but I don't see that he's a character the series can't do without.
He can't come back as an NPC because we don't really know what he looks like - certainly he's not iconic enough.
It's possible we could play him in Episode 4 (which is, I believe, supposed to be in the HL universe, but not played as Gordon. Or something like that) but there's no point, as his inclusion would be so token, it wouldn't make one bit of difference to the game, the story, nor would it make much sense.

el Chi said:
I loved Op4 and playing as Shepherd (although you didn't get to be evil enouigh, but that's another story), but I don't see that he's a character the series can't do without.
In OP4 I let all the scientists live. In HL I killed every scientist I saw :p

If there will be an expansion, Adrian Shephard will become a combine for sure, something simmiliar to Quake 4.
It could turn out to be something like this: Shephard comes to city 17 just before Gordon does, only that he won't be that lucky to be rescued by Calhoun , and gonna be sent to Nova Prospect.
There, he will be transformed into a combine, somewhat better than others, maybe some prototype. When Gordon comes to nova prospect, Adrian comes just before Gordon espaces with alyx through the portal. Some explosion comes later, erroring Shephard's combine brain. He starts to remember who he was, and soon after joins the resistance forces (though he kills some till doing so).
During the week of Gordon's dissapearance, he kicks ass! And then something happens and he dissapears.

If he's re-introduced, I would hope Valve would have more tact than "Hey, let's turn him into an uber-soldier!".

Just because he was part of the military cleanup crew doesn't he always needs to end up on the opposing side by default. Hell, I doubt Shepard would even give two shits about Freeman. His osprey crashed before he was given his orders, and after that he was in the same boat with all the Black Mesa personnel.

Walter said:
If there will be an expansion, Adrian Shephard will become a combine for sure, something simmiliar to Quake 4.
It could turn out to be something like this: Shephard comes to city 17 just before Gordon does, only that he won't be that lucky to be rescued by Calhoun , and gonna be sent to Nova Prospect.
There, he will be transformed into a combine, somewhat better than others, maybe some prototype. When Gordon comes to nova prospect, Adrian comes just before Gordon espaces with alyx through the portal. Some explosion comes later, erroring Shephard's combine brain. He starts to remember who he was, and soon after joins the resistance forces (though he kills some till doing so).
During the week of Gordon's dissapearance, he kicks ass! And then something happens and he dissapears.

Well, that is one big bunch of cliche'dness :p

Ludah said:
If he's re-introduced, I would hope Valve would have more tact than "Hey, let's turn him into an uber-soldier!".

Just because he was part of the military cleanup crew doesn't he always needs to end up on the opposing side by default. Hell, I doubt Shepard would even give two shits about Freeman. His osprey crashed before he was given his orders, and after that he was in the same boat with all the Black Mesa personnel.

Well he whould if he ha'd been turned into a uber soldier.

Shephard fell into the bottomless pit while trapped in Xen.
Why don't you believe me?

99.vikram said:

Because he climbed out and told us all of his magical tales of adventures. There were dragons and everything.

Shephard is Gordon with no face and a fetish for sticking his hand up alien's arses.

99.vikram said:

Nonsense. Shephard couldn't move. All he could do was tap his feet for eternity.

If Shephard were brought back in it might be fun to make him a Combine Soldier... then again why does the Combine soldier have to be Shephard? The G-Man or whomever could perhaps hijack any soldier they wished or some such. It would be fun... commanding a squad of other soldiers like in OP. They do at least attempt to find cover, unlike rebels. That's what made OP so fun, both your soldiers and the black ops had the same AI so the battles felt more equal. They had better and more diverse firepower too.

Just where could Shephard come back to? The Marines don't exist anymore for all intents and purposes. Both the Resistance and the Combine factions can be explored by original characters. With those factors, I don't think we'll ever play Shephard in another expansion.

Black Op said:
Just where could Shephard come back to? The Marines don't exist anymore for all intents and purposes. Both the Resistance and the Combine factions can be explored by original characters. With those factors, I don't think we'll ever play Shephard in another expansion.

Who here finished Half-Life 1 expecting the Combine? Who here expected City 17? Who here expected Alyx? Who expected the absolutely drastic turns Half-Life 2 made?

I certainly didn't. What I'm basically saying is that if the trasition from Half-Life 1 to Half-Life 2 can be so drastic, there's no telling what's in store for the future. If Valve could implement Adrian in some way, it probably wouldn't be through anything convenient.

I agree with both of the above posts.

As far as I can tell, the idea of making Shephard a Combine Soldier exists for two reasons...

It fits with the theme of him being on the Opposing Force.

He has no real place in the resistance since he has absolutely no clue what is going on (even less so than Freeman did) and is unknown by anyone who escaped Black Mesa.

If he were just dropped into the outskirts of City 17 in his fatigues and PCV he'd be targeted by the Combine and would just become another Citizen/Rebel. Which would be pointless...

Yeah, that's why he'd be some uber cool combine, fighting later his own...creators!
He could be the reason why we not see the synths, maybe he just blew all of them up, or paused their appearance on earth.

Sorry, but "Shepherd becomes a combine" is just the epitome of the relative pointlessness of bringing him back at all. Why utterly change what little we already we know about the character in order to twist him into some kind of quasi-Opposing Force role, when we could just pick up any old Joe Combine and get exactly the same story and gameplay richness without wasting what little value Shepherd has on some half-assed convulution of a plotline?

And the less Valve rips off Quake 4 the better.

edit: also, the ultimate litmus test for whether a story completely sucks is if several short-lived mod teams have already come up with it before coughing and dying.

WE R GOIN 2 DO SHEPRED IN TEH 7 HOURS WAR AND HE WILL BE A COMBINE WITH ULTIMATE SKILLS AND FIVE TELEPORT GUNS.

The only way I can see Shephard ever coming back is if VALVe needs a character that served as part of the military clean-up crew at Black Mesa. However in that situation, it should be expected that no Op4 points are to be referrenced directly like with Calhoun. Instead Shephard would be just a one-man manifestation of the Human Grunts, which Barney and Dr. Kleiner are also capable of for their HL1 NPC types.

Shephard could come back as a veteran helping the resistance. :sniper:
I would love to see a guy like that (Cubbage didn't cut it for me).

99.vikram said:
I would love to see a guy like that (Cubbage didn't cut it for me).
Cubbage was never supposed to cut it at all, it's implied in the HL2 Strategy Guide that he's a fraud. Plus he's mocked by Resistance members in EP1.

99.vikram said:
Cubbage didn't cut it for me.

Err, cut what? That was never Cubbages role. He's a fake, a fraud. He can't fight - he has probably never had a scrap in his life. He wears a security jumper and his past and English heritage is questionable. Thats Cubbage's role.

Well, i think that ADrian Shephard CAN be used....you see, Gordon slips from the control of G-man. Maybe now he will use Shephard as a guy who will hunt down Gordon.

P.S. Accidentaly he turns into a combine :E

Oppposing Force 2 should be bloodbaths, heavy machine guns (like guard gun in hl2 beta), heavy combiine units, and stuff like that. Adrian Shephard should fight through them all to kill....hmm...maybe some combine forces leader on earth, as i kind of doubt it was Breen.
Logical explanation as to why the synths we see in the citadel never appear on the streets, maybe they were retreating.

if adrian ever is used (as i hope :)) he is not gonna transform into a combine ala quake, just because he was the "opposing force" in half life doesn't mean he will be in the half life 2 viewpoint.

and if he do, he can never see gordon, as gordon kill every combine he come across :p

You did not understand what i mean, actually. I mean he doesn't fully become combine, something occurs and he becomes a good guy. An opposing force i'd say, some big looking combine.

Aye. Very bad idea. Ugh... the thought of it really irks me.

"Hey, Shepard! Nice mechanical body! Now go over that hill and kill the Strogg- Err, I mean Combine!"

The only way I could see it working is if, The gman uses Adrian to do an assignment while he tries to regain control of Gordon. Basically just a substitute =P Than if he does regain control of gordon, after Adrian's assignment was over he'd just put him back in stasis =O

Adrik_Senturu said:
The only way I could see it working is if, The gman uses Adrian to do an assignment while he tries to regain control of Gordon. Basically just a substitute =P Than if he does regain control of gordon, after Adrian's assignment was over he'd just put him back in stasis =O

probably not because gman was interested in adrian before gordon, for all we know adrian could be doing an assignment

Back