Communication with Gabe Newell

MindCrack

Hunter
Reaction score
Do you remember when the last time Gabe Newell was here? Some of you may, some of you not.

I was "snooping" around in the old threads when I found this: http://www.valvetime.net/threads/i-need-the-assistance-of-the-community.10692/ Unforgettable thing, what do you think?

And the question came to my mind "Does Gabe Newell still visits this website?". Is he's still among us?
Well, I saw his profile (http://www.valvetime.net/members/gabe-newell.2528/) and it seems the last time Mr. Newell was here was November 2, 2008 in "Gabe's Birthday Thread."

If you are reading this, Gabe, please show us you're still here, watching this community. Just leave a glorious reply.

-M

possibly, though i imagine he doesn't want to post because of how it will devolve into "WHY U NO MAKE HALF-LIFE 3?!"

Someone, quickly steal some Source 3 source code.

Source code theft.

Source code.

Valve source code thievery.

Code. Code theft.

Instead of waiting for him to show up, i think ValveTime should do an interview with him at Valve HQ. Because i can't remember any recent interview done with him, please correct me if i'm wrong.

Instead of waiting for him to show up, i think ValveTime should do an interview with him at Valve HQ. Because i can't remember any recent interview done with him, please correct me if i'm wrong.

Listen to the man. VT.net, try to get an interview with a key player at Valve (not necessarily Gabe Newell), that'd be amazing for the community to read!

Well most of the VT staff are British, so that's inconvenient. Can't Gabe just visit the UK for them to interview him?

Listen to the man. VT.net, try to get an interview with a key player at Valve (not necessarily Gabe Newell), that'd be amazing for the community to read!

A series of interviews with Valve employees would indeed be amazing, but Gaben should be on top of list. Rest of the list may be like:
- Kelly Bailey
- Marc Laidlaw
- Erik Wolpaw
- Greg Coomer
- Ted Backman
- Dario Casali
- Ken Birdwell
- Jeremy Bennett
- Scott Lynch (he's the face of Barney Calhoun and COO of Valve, yet we don't know anything about him).

Well most of the VT staff are British, so that's inconvenient.

These are just ideas, of course. James' interview with Stanley Parabl developer was very good.

Well most of the VT staff are British, so that's inconvenient. Can't Gabe just visit the UK for them to interview him?

It could be a video/audio interview, just like the interview with Davey Wreden which AYKO mentioned. Of course, I didn't mean to say that people of VT.net should travel all the way there haha :)

What are your thoughts, people of VT.net? (are they people?)

I'm not convinced that most of you aren't Valve staff.

HL3 hasn't been released cause you ****ers won't get off the forum.

A series of interviews with Valve employees would indeed be amazing, but Gaben should be on top of list. Rest of the list may be like:
- Kelly Bailey
- Marc Laidlaw
- Erik Wolpaw
- Greg Coomer
- Ted Backman
- Dario Casali
- Ken Birdwell
- Jeremy Bennett
- Scott Lynch (he's the face of Barney Calhoun and COO of Valve, yet we don't know anything about him).

Hectic Glenn Omnomnick -smash- ríomhaire Sliver

Where are our news guys? this is a great idea

Hmm... This thread has made me wonder which ValveTime staff members live closest to Valve's headquarters. I just checked, and I live 1,506 miles (by car) away from Valve's building in Bellevue. Obviously the staff in the the U.K. are much further, but what about James and John, for instance?

[Tangentially related: It would cost me about $260 in gas money to drive to Valve HQ and back.]

In any case, that'd be really cool if we could arrange ValveTime interviews with Valve folks.

Interviews don't have to be physical. Interviews could start off over Skype or Google hangouts then later if they become successful try and get in person interviews?

Great ideas.

A series of interviews would be great. I don't know who to reach out to, though, to get that ball rolling. I mean, should we reach out to each of them individually? Or should we hit up DJ or Doug or Erik J? Iono.

As far as individual interviews go, I've reached out to Gabe a few times this year via email about a Skype interview but he doesn't respond to me. I think we could hold a great conversation. Also, someone on staff reached out to Marc for an interview on the 15th anniversary of HL and he never responded, either. Seems like that would have been a great time for him to do an interview, too.

So, I'm not sure if they hate us or if they just don't care about the smaller websites anymore.

Neither. It's just something they've never done - nor have any of the major developers out there.

May I suggest a podcast type format instead?

I'm not surprised they never respond because Skype requires kinda private mail address. For me, reaching them out individually is just useless. Inside the company, there must be someone like "community manager" who can arrange these things. Unfortunately i really don't know who this is at Valv.

Online messaging services would make it easier. But individual photos of Valve employees, long discussions between VT and Valve staff and maybe good quality videos would definitely make it greater.

I wasn't aware this many people were allowed in the staff forums.

Oh wait.

Back