Company of Heroes: Eastern Front [MOD]

I agree with Mr. Grizzly, only because I know how awesomely infuriating it is to pit Pz IIIs and Pz IVs against T-34s and KVs circa 1941.

<3 Steel Panthers.

Let's get back to the thread topic now plox.

Looking forward to it. Never got to try the BotB mod as it doesnt support ToV. Interested in what the new German force will be.

Just installed CoH, completely new to it. Anyone here play MP?

How to be awesome in MP:

Q 1: Are you playing Allies?

Yes: Go infantry commander, spam rangers.
No: Spam panzers.

Q 2: Are you playing Axis?

Yes: Spam panzers, have fun losing.
No: Spam panzers.

edit: there you are viper, I have altered it for you.

I'd try the AI first if I were you. Get to know a couple of the 1v1 maps, practice a couple of different build orders with different armies, try out all the commander trees, etc. Add me in-game, I am also Shakermaker there. Maybe we can do a 2 vs AI.

^Been playing a bit of the campaign to get a feel.

So Axis Power really sucks in game?

^Been playing a bit of the campaign to get a feel.

So Axis Power really sucks in game?

The campaign plays quite differently than your typical skirmish. In most campaign missions you have restricted set units and abilities, while skirmish is based on gathering resources and teching up as fast as possible.

Axis is the weaker of the two, especially late game, true. But they have a great early game and if you exploit that, you might still be able to win games. It is hard though.

It's a bit of a simplification, but broadly speaking Allies are Quantity and Axis is Quality. Naturally, Allies is a bit more forgiving to new players. The British are currently considered overpowered/cheap/imba/strictly for noobs. There is some truth to it; units like the Bren and Kangaroo Carriers can be inordinately vicious. I generally suck at COH, though, so you might want to get a second opinion.

Axis worst of later in the game? Urr no. Axis have the better tanks BY FAR. Not to mention they have the Kromkampf center to make them elite, you get that then Allied tanks are ripped apart in seconds, and considering later in the game, it mainly consists of tank warfare then you are flying. Also fully updated Grenadiers with all the weapon upgrades make mincemeat out of anyone.

Both sides have their advantages either way, there isn't a better or worst, just sides that people prefer to play as. What it really comes down to is your ability as a player, and how well you understand the game, and how well and effectively you think ahead and deal with situations. It is quite possibly one of the most tactically demanding RTS I have ever played, but winning, especially if you are playing a hard opponent, and even more if you are on a good team and you were loosing heavily at one point only to bring it back, there is no better course of gaming satisfaction.

I've owned COH since the day it came out (and all the expansions) and I still get my ass handed to me whenever I try to play online. That's fine though because I usually just play it after watching Band of Brothers or something when I really want some delicious cinematic WWII action. The online skill level is insane though, or maybe I just suck at micro (but I don't think that's it cause I'm pretty good at Starcraft and WC3).

Company of Heroes is just a entirely different beast compared to other RTSs though. Before I played it I was master at things like Command and Conquer or Rise of Nations, and when I started CoH, christ it was humiliating defeat and humiliating defeat. You've just got to watch how the better players do it at first, after a match you can play back the entire game and even see what you opponent was doing. After I got the idea of what to do I could finally start formulating my own tactics. Even know I am still beat a good few times but I'm also winning a lot of games (I should say was, I haven't played it in a good while, too many whiners). Observation and patience goes miles in it.

Well if a few kids are UP FOR KILLIN' NAZIS ONE NIGHT LET ME KNOW.

I'm terrible at playing any kind of RTS online really.
Just not fast enough, the only one I'm even remotely decent at is Dawn of War.

Are either of the expansions for COH worth buying at this point? I loved playing the game offline atleast.

Yeah the expansion single player campaigns were all excellent, but obviously online is really well it excels.

Opposing Fronts is definitely worth picking up, I haven't really done much with ToV so I can't comment there.

god, i don't half want CoH. i might see if my partitioned Mac can play it, if i ever get cursed windows to run right on it.

I have all the games since getting the Steam THQ pack but I want to wait till I can install them on the desktop at home instead of the laptop so I can play them properly.

If you want to own as Axis just play against the Brits from OF/ToV. They never attack :p I only ever played as Axis in AI skirmishes with Shaker as my partner. 88s ftw!

I missed getting the lot for 15£ buy a matter of hours :mad: It really pissed me off.

I love this game so far.

But.
Skirmishes.
Are.
****ing.
Hard.

:(

Back