Condition Zero, not HL-2 related

Gabe Newell

Reaction score
I received this email from Michael Booth and thought it was worth posting.

Sent: Saturday, October 11, 2003 5:59 PM
To: Gabe Newell
Subject: CZ AutoBuy and ReBuy

Another new feature of Counter-strike:Condition Zero is the AutoBuy/ReBuy system. This system can also be customized by advanced players.

We found that one of the largest barriers for new Counter-strike players was purchasing weapons and equipment. The large number of available weapons was intimidating to them, and once a weapon was purchased, they often missed details like buying ammo for that weapon.

By using “AutoBuy” (available as part of the buy menu, or by pressing F1), the system automatically buys a reasonable set of weapons and equipment, based on the amount of money the Player has available. In addition, on bomb defuse maps, AutoBuy will buy a defuse kit. Similarly, when playing Condition Zero missions that require specific weaponry, AutoBuy will purchase them as well.

This system allows inexperienced players to “just press F1” and get what they need (CZ’s new Interactive Tutor tells new players to do just this).

Experienced gamers can customize AutoBuy by editing the AutoBuy.txt file. This file is a simple list of “buy aliases” with the following additional rules:

1) Once a primary weapon has been purchased, all subsequent primary weapon buy aliases are ignored

2) Once a secondary weapon has been purchased, all subsequent secondary weapon buy aliases are ignored

Additionally, it is possible to rig up aliases to change the AutoBuy data on the fly, allowing one button to AutoBuy a sniper setup, and another to AutoBuy your favorite rifle gear.

Here is the default AutoBuy script in Condition Zero:

m4a1
ak47
famas
galil
p90
mp5
primammo
secammo
defuser
vesthelm
vest

The ReBuy system (available on the buy menu, or by pressing F2) attempts to purchase all of the weaponry and equipment you had last round, essentially building a “buy script” on the fly. It is extremely useful when you bought a unique set of equipment last round, died, and want it back. It is also very useful to “top off” your ammo, grenades, and armor between rounds.

When money gets tight, the order that items are “re-bought” can become important. We allow the experienced gamer to control ReBuy priorities by editing their ReBuy.txt file. It basically lists weapon and equipment categories in the order they should be purchased.

Here is the default ReBuy data for Condition Zero:

PrimaryWeapon
PrimaryAmmo
Defuser
Armor
HEGrenade
Flashbang
SmokeGrenade
SecondaryWeapon
SecondaryAmmo
NightVision

The AutoBuy/ReBuy system makes the process of buying weapons and equipment as fast and easy as possible for the new player, while simultaneously enhancing the tried-and-true buy mechanism for experienced Counter-strike players.

Cool i suck at choosing weapons on CS having only played it the last month or so. Much better than faffing about with mod config files :D

And its nice to see the big man back in action again after recent events

Thanks Gabe... good to know you're still supporting the community even during this whole fiasco. Whoever says VALVe's PR is a joke is an idiot.

CS should have revolvers(W00-httt!) and Muskets!
And Flint-locks.
And should be more like R6 IMO.
It would be good if the guns were coupled with the "Iron sights" ability.

"Experienced gamers can customize AutoBuy by editing the AutoBuy.txt file" they cant afford to put time into a gui? :eek:

Condition Zero uses the old CS models because Ritual models were screwy apparently...so no purchase for me, a glorified map pack.

Its funny how everyone gets all excited about CZ when Gabe says something about it, but when a normal forum user mentions it, people could care less.

Originally posted by Onions
"Experienced gamers can customize AutoBuy by editing the AutoBuy.txt file" they cant afford to put time into a gui? :eek:

LOL, i know.

But a nice, and very useful feature altogether.

Shut up troll. He came here to get us to discuss CZ not here you all whine and bitch about a release date.

Well I have ordered my copy of cs:cz long time ago. Its gonna be sweet. Thanks for the info Gabe

edit: typo

Originally posted by azz0r
Shut up troll. He came here to get us to discuss CZ not here you all whine and bitch about a release date.

Lol this take hypocricy to a new sickeningly high level

:afro:

Ohhh! Gabe broke the rules! j/k
This is great info. CS:CZ here I come!

It sounds like a cool feature.

If exclusive HL2 media comes i'll probably by this.

Wait when is this coming out again? I know it just went gold.

I have decided that I personaly Cant do SHIT about the delays. Therefore I am spending my now HL2 free time doing other things. Such as making my HL2 mod models and figureing out all the sofisticated game dynamics. I hope you like it when its finally out gabe. I'll be releaseing alot of info on it reasonably soon. Just so you all know :)

Originally posted by Gabe Newell
<talking about CZ stuff>

STFU, use the search button n00b!

Heh, j/k :p when I saw this thread I was thinking "Oh CZ, who cares" but then I noticed who the thread starter was. Gabe always has more interesting info than us forum loons! :dork:

OMG! t3h g4b3!

Originally posted by azz0r
Condition Zero uses the old CS models because Ritual models were screwy apparently...so no purchase for me, a glorified map pack.

I have to disagree. The Ritual models really turned me off cscz. I thought they were overweight. They had a very gay crouch as well. I like the higher detail models of the latest build. I'm all for it.
The new cscz is back to what the first installment promised. I'm over the moon with the plans. I must say if it was left at the ritual stage I wouldn't be planning on buying it. Excellent move by you know who.

i guess this thing is on topic ^^

Attachments

• wsfcomic21.jpg
    wsfcomic21.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 452
Originally posted by PLas
I have to disagree. The Ritual models really turned me off cscz. I thought they were overweight. They had a very gay crouch as well. I like the higher detail models of the latest build. I'm all for it.
The new cscz is back to what the first installment promised. I'm over the moon with the plans. I must say if it was left at the ritual stage I wouldn't be planning on buying it. Excellent move by you know who.

So you happy to pay for a glorified map pack? They even dropped the cool maps (theres a few saved in 'deleted scenes') and went for a tamed tony hawk style game instead of the scripted destructive stuff...

i wish the CS bots would come back....

they took them out after the beta cuz its for CZ right?

I don't think anyone here has the right to flame someone who came on to post some interesting info. COME ON poeple!!! Enough with the attitude, why can't you show some respect for christ sake??? Even if it wasn't Gabe, it shouldn't make any difference. . .anyone who comes in with such a thread should be able to and if you don't like it, DON'T RESPOND. What is wrong with you guys. I really wish I was a moderator.

I'm actually kind of disturbed that Gabe reads these forums after reading all the crap people post and the garbage they like to say about Valve and Gabe. If I were him I would be pretty pissed and dissapointed with all of it. I think anyone who thinks people at Valve and Gabe have or had anything but good intentions should be ashamed. Who the hell do you think you are anyway??

OK enough about that. . .

On the topic . . . I never got that good at CS, and the buying always annoyed the hell out of me. I memorized a couple things and that was about it. I never had time to think about weapon and equipment combos. I always thought it would be cool to have a way to build my own combos and what-not. Should make things alittle more fun for some n00bs like myself! I haven't played CS in about 2 years, but I'm considering buying CZ when it comes out with all the changes that have been made for the better.

EDIT: AGAIN I have to be the one to start a new page damnit, lol.

I've said it b4 and I'll say it again. The majority of people on these forums are all tense because of all this crap that has come to HL2. They seem to lash out @ the smallest things.

I don't know why Gabe even bothers with u people. He posts giving info on CS-CZ and all u can do is make stupid comments about HL2 being delayed and whatnot.
I just hope he doesn't pay to close attention to these forums with all the crap being said.

Originally posted by Zero Signal

*snip*
I'm actually kind of disturbed that Gabe reads these forums after reading all the crap people post and the garbage they like to say about Valve and Gabe. If I were him I would be pretty pissed and dissapointed with all of it.
*snip*

Who said he actually reads the forums? Probably doesn't have time for that. I think all he does is post a thread when he has some info (which is more than enough of course:cheese: )

EDIT: Wow, the thread went from 5 to 4 pages while I was writing this post

I've just gone through and cleaned up this thread. I've also just moved it to Off-Topic.

People, stay on topic. This is a Condition Zero thread, not Half-Life 2. Keep up the useless posts and flaming, and you'll soon meet the door, it's as simple as that.

Back