Confusion over Obama's Citizenship

Reaction score
I came across this article after a brief search; mostly due to previously hearing of some discrepancies regarding whether or not Obama qualifies for presidency in terms of being a natural-born citizen.

To paraphrase,
Since Barack Obama was not born to two American citizens, and since the parent that was, his mother, was only 18 at the time of birth he is not technically a US citizen. This being because the parent that is an American citizen must have lived in the US or a US territory for a total of 10 years, 5 of which must be after the age of 16 in order for the offspring to qualify for "automatic" citizenship.

This page disputes the claim, and does so simply, as it's quite frankly one built on sand.

For all who are interested: Obama's Citizenship

Even if it was two foreigners without US citizenship who gave birth to Obama in the United States, he would be a legally bound citizen of the United States.

End of story. He's a citizen. His mother was an American. His father was a Kenyan. He was born in the United States.

What?! What's this?! Well, *hmp* I'm voting for McCain tomorrow instead!

OMG ring the McCain campaign immediately!!! I can't believe that their millionaire strategists completely overlooked this issue while some xenophobes on the internet managed to dig up the truth but it is IS true!!!! OMFG, Maybe ask them to check if he has a criminal record too while you're at it!!!

:rolleyes:

Edit: apologies.

Thought you were saying that his claim to citizenship was built on sand, didn't notice that you'd linked to snopes...

OMG Obama is not American, McKain was not born in US. What's next, Sarah Palin is Russian?

Even assuming that this was true, if the OP actually cared that Obama wasn't American he is a racist ****.

Even assuming that this was true, if the OP actually cared that Obama wasn't American he is a racist ****.

How dare he be concerned about Obama not meeting the lawful requirements to be President, the gall of him is mindblowing.

It's hardly a necessity, after all why should a man or woman be precluded from being whatever he/she wants to be (including the presidency) in the USA simply on the grounds of Birth place? Hardly seems in keeping with the spirit of 'The American dream' or 'The land of the free'.

It's hardly a necessity, after all why should a man or woman be precluded from being whatever he/she wants to be (including the presidency) in the USA simply on the grounds of Birth place? Hardly seems in keeping with the spirit of 'The American dream' or 'The land of the free'.

Because wouldn't you think you would want someone running your country, that was from your country?

It seems like most of you guys didn't understand what I was saying. I was linking to a site that disproves it, I was not supporting the notion that he isn't really a citizen. You guys jump to conclusions too fast, just take some time to read the page before you make a decision on my stance or rather the point I was making.

Because wouldn't you think you would want someone running your country, that was from your country?
My brother has lived in the US for merely 3 weeks, yet he's an American citizen.

I was born in America and came to Australia when i was 1.5 years old and have lived here ever since.

Technically, i could be an American president. That sounds retarded doesn't it?

Rumors like these, the irrational comments of Jean Hannity and his fan-base, the selection of Gov. Palin as running-mate to Senator McCain, eight years of failed policies, Bush's many doctrines, a Phantom VP, the economy, and the lost respect of the world community, along with many other reasons is what caused the Republican Party to fail miserably in 2008 general election, Both the legislator and executive branch of the republic.
This land of ours does not belong to neither party; it belongs to the constitution, and Jean Hannity isn't our gate-keeper.
We should ALL uphold the constitution, promote our new president-elect Sen. Obama like one of us: A natural born US citizen, our son, our brother, our father, and a friend.
When a party claims to be "The God's Party" the whole country tilts dangerously to Neotism, and then, God himself speaks: Yesterday was God's own, Just like May 7 1945 was God's own. ...Get used to it. :|

Good Day.

OMG Obama is not American, McKain was not born in US. What's next, Sarah Palin is Russian?

Technically yes, Sarah Palin is a Russian: Don'T forget, Alaska was bought from Russia, and she can actually see Russia from her house. Hm!

BTW... McCain was born in Panama. :p

Back