Coolest Half-Life moment?

I really enjoyed the intro train ride. Also the jump sequence when you first arrive on Xen. The low gravity is tricking you into thinking: "Wow I really did a neet jump there!!". Another cool part was the warehouse full of tripmines, setting off one would set off the whole bunch, plus a pair of nuclear bombs. Launching the sattelite into orbit was really nice too. There's just too many. As I love the geiger krrr krr sound I also loved any place that had radio-active goo lying around. Rooms FULL of it! Haha, the room falling apart and filling up with the green stuff, and seeing G-man open the door for u. Nice, nice. The big terrain with the osprey, dropping grunts down into the tunnel. Radical. Killing the tentacles with the rocket booster. Hmm, cripsy, bacon-flavored tentacle hmmm. The square with the sewer tunnels under it. The square was packed with grunts who wanted to flush you out with grens. Nice AI action there. Yeah, pushing the sample into the beam in the test chamber. Hearing the heavy breathing and the heartbeat when the screen was totally black. Gosh. Too much. *faints*

Yeah the warehouse part made me mad also :( To be honest, I never set off the mines. It was those pesky headcrabs!

Surface Tension where you fight a ton of marines and tanks, only to walk through a minefield while a helicopter is chasing you. Then you have to climb the cliffside, kill the marines, and take the rocketlauncher to finally blow up the helicopter.

Most of surface tension.

Like Chris_D said, the vent sequence was just great.

Right after you get the rocket launcher and go through a pipe to go back up to the surface from the cliff face, and there is a part where there are a bunch of bunkers with tunnels and pipes connecting them. With all the marines throwing grenades, you throwing grenades, plus the tank, it just is a action packed sequence.

There's the pipe with the satchel charge, which was really cool.

Plus at "We Got Hostiles" when you go up the elevator to the surface, and the techno song starts playing, and you get into the gunfight with some marines while airstrikes start hitting and the osprey is flying around was great. Not to mention the part after that, going down the ventilation shaft with the marines lowering down on the ropes.

And then in Opposing Force, practically the entire thing, that entire expansion pack was pure gold.

It was very cool when you finally got to the surface in HL , you felt like you made it (great thing about Half-Life made you actually want to escape)

Also any part with a new laboratory , and a new experiment was facinating , the other good thing about Half-Life was it made me feel like I really was exploring this government facility and it was really fun to see what kindof stuff they were working on.

i remember in surface tension when i desided to take out that damn tank with a crowbar as i had just finished wiping out the surrounding marines. I wanted to see if it could be done. Aparantly tanks are not crowbar proof, and aparantly gordon is not resulting tank explosion proof.

personally my favorite part was the battle at the dam with the apache, i replayed that battle so many times just to try to get the flaming wreckage of the apache to land on the troops at the far end of the dam. I eventually did.

how about "DO NOT BLOCK LASER PROOF SHIELD"
that was a bit of an obvious hint :p

it only worked because of human nature.

- The intro to the game. The first time I played it, I had all the lights off and the sound up. I was overwhelmed by all the amazing things I saw as the tram moved through Black Mesa. And the woman's dialogue was absolutely brilliant, from the little safety reminders (who can forget the "radiation screening" sequence as you watch the industrial-yellow walker carry the box into the pool of green goo?), to the "corporate competition", to the spiel asking you to recruit for them. I can still hear her saying, "Have a safe, and productive, day".

- When you first encounter the soldiers. I was on a little landing at the top of some stairs looking down at a scientist running up to meet a soldier. Here's how it went down:

(Scientist): "Thank God you're here!"

*burst of automatic weapons fire cuts down the scientist*

I duck back around the corner before the soldier can see me...or so I thought. Next thing I hear is, "Fire in the hole!!", followed by a *tink, tink, tink* as I look down and see a grenade at my feet. That was definitely a HOLY SH&T! moment for me.

- Shooting down the chopper over the dam. As someone else said, I did it over and over just because it was SO COOL.

- Stepping from a corridor onto a large landing pad, seeing two armored bee-gun guys run toward me and then soldiers rapelling out of the Osprey to fight them. Again, due to the sheer cool factor I shot down that Osprey over and over.

- The sequence with the 4-story flame-shooting monster chasing me up and out of the parking garage; watching him overturn cars and smash the soldiers against the wall with an SUV. When I was finally was able to land an airstrike on his ass, I was screaming, "YEAH! TAKE THAT MF'ER!!"

- The entire cliff sequence...amazing.

I could go on and on...

-kill-9

hands down my most memorable moment was the first time I encountered the Grunts! Hearing the radio chatter and their voices talkin to each other was surreal... THEN they came out and formed tactics.

Just phenominal experience!

I have to say the whole game kept me at the edge of my seat, and I remember two moments that were insanely intense:

- Halflife: when you meet a fellow scientist who spots a marine, he runs screaming for help and you realize too late that they're not here to help. The grunt sprays short bursts killing the scientist, and starts tossing grenades up the staircase. Very intense firefight :)

-OpFor: the moment you manage to form a small squad with 3 other marines, you step inside a maze of boxes and containers under sniper fire. The guard towers spot you and start going berserk! Bullets fly everywhere, you spot a friendly who limps to reach cover and gets shot in the back etc... :D

I got pi$$ed when I figured out the Grunts was my enemy. I didn't read the manual, or didn't know anything about it except the pictures on the box. When the Marines started shooting at me, I was like "Great, more things I have to kill" hehe

i like the part in the parking lot, were that tank like alien smashed through the cars (i always wanted to see a scientists driving one of those with his lab suit, guess the final part in blushift satisfied me), and right after that scene, killing the tank like alien with those controls to call a missile strike!! REALLY NICE

also in opforce, that soldier that was wounded, smoking cigarrete like it would be his last.. very dramatic

In Half Life it has to be everything I loved it.
In op4 I loved when the engineer opened the door and ran in to get mown down in seconds by a gun turret...classic. I thought you actually had to save him so I did and he didn't walk past the door. I guess he wasn't supposed to live.
Another in op4 when you se the female black ops for the first time. How mean it was for Gearbox to put in music that made you want to get up and dance during a crucial time...

one more thing!! right after the hole thing happens, that scientist trying to reanimate barney (i think), although i cant remember in wich game that happened.. HMMMMM

Originally posted by Sgt.Igneri
Ohh and surface tension when your on the rocks, and the jets fly by and crap. That parts pretty cool.
Actually - pretty much the WHOLE of Surface Tension was great... From the beginning bit where you have to fight a bunch of the grunts in a fuel dump, then onto the hydroelectric dam!! And yeah, the whole cliffs bit's fantastic too.
Oh and in the factory on Xen and there's that small part where the Slaves don't attack you, they just look at you and then go about their business... Great.

Edit: OpFor - the opening was superb. Obviously, so was HL's, but it was just so great with the soldiers' banter ("Yeah I'm gonna be pissed if I gotta search and rescue your sorry ass!" Great) And the engineer and Heavy Weapons grunt were brilliant

Originally posted by kill-9

I duck back around the corner before the soldier can see me...or so I thought. Next thing I hear is, "Fire in the hole!!", followed by a *tink, tink, tink* as I look down and see a grenade at my feet. That was definitely a HOLY SH&T! moment for me.

Ah, the memories :cheese: . Another one of my favourite experiences with Half-Life was, when you first realised that the Grunts disperse when you throw a grenade at them. Pure gold.

This thread pretty much explains why Valve are worried about living up to Expectations.

Surface Tension is one of the most awesome computer game levels ever. The finale in Deus Ex is the only thing I've played that I like better. ;)

When you blow up that copter above the dam, when one of these dog spitting things drags a soldier through a hole in the wall and his leg gets stuck, finally killing that tentacle thing (YEAH!!! EAT THIS, YOU B...) and so much more. :)

Err, you were supposed to kill the copter over the dam? Hmm Im not sure why I didnt but I just ran away from it :)

The coolest HL moment is the intro, before the explosion at black mesa ...
The worst HL moment is the Xen world... Damn i hate this part of the game...
Only ½ of the game is Good in my opinion :dozey:

The coolest part was when you went into some sort of pipe, and a soldier throws a satchle charge inside, wich causes alot of fire to come to you; so you have to get back into the water to not get burned :]

Btw Xen was only a quarter of halflife, and it was part of the story, i liked it very much just like the whole game ; everybody who says they don't like xen are just talking like the other people do

Indeed, it would seem the "cool" moments one would experience in Half-Life are too numerous to list. It is logical to assume that the same ammount of enjoyment can be obtained in Half-Life2 as was obtained from its predecessor, though one can only hope.

Indeed, with predecessor of such high quality, i have very little reservations in reguards to Half-Life2. Though, perhaps it would prudent to not include air vents as a valid and common mode of commuting. It would seem to be a highly illogical method of transportation.

Well in the refridgerators..it was way damn to cool there..it was even cold :)

i remember than engineer who got gunned down by the turret after opening that door.. I was all like HELL NO, you aren't going to die on me that easy. I reloaded the game like 10 or so times until i finally was able to get into the hallway before the engy and double blast the turret with my shotgun thus allowing the engy to live.

i never allowed any of my soldiers to die. The only soldier that died was because he ran onto some tram tracks as i was backing up a tram car. He got run over. I was too tired to care at that moment as i had just fought against a crap load of black ops.

Originally posted by Tredoslop
The icthyosaur (or whatever it was called) scared the pants of me.

yeah that thing still scares the crap outta me. it's big, bad and ugly. AND you can't use all ur good weapons against it cause it's underwater.

Actually, most of HL1's 'cool moments' had either scripted events or enemy AI at their base. Since HL2 will have less of the first and way more of the second, I'm guessing that we'll see a much more continuous stream of 'cool' events. The AI is just going to stun us over and over again I think. The possibilities are infinite.

I think people are underestimating the physics at the moment. They're going to be pretty smart too.

yea, I've tried to think about what kind of crazy things Valve is going to include in the singleplayer - things that they can do with the physics system.

With regards to multiplayer - you guys remember all the traps they had to kill people, right? Well, I bet that in HL 2 multiplayer there is definitely gonna be some of those same traps except for this time they're going to involve more physically simulated objects. I can just picture things crushing, rolling on top of, etc., other people at the switch of a button.

It's gonna be sweet lol

Definately when you first see the green tentacle and a scientist rushes over to smash the button. Tentacle comes flying through the wall knocking the scientist back into the computers, smashing him against the machines and glass. Scientists is screaming for it to get off him, then it pulls him out and down into the pit.

Then after that a security guard sacrifices himself to let you go further ahead. He runs out guns blazing screaming "Over hear you oversized space thingy (not sure those were his exact words"

VERY cool moments.

Hehe did he really sacrifice himself? I just thought he was dumb enough to try and beat it with a glock. After he got smashed by the tentacle, I was just standing there in the room going: right...dumbass!!! (That 70's show flashback hehe) I didn't really take advantage of the guy creating a diversion.

Or - Because there is no scripted AI, there will be LESS cool things like this. I like scripted AI to an extent, when used right like HL did.

Originally posted by Ro@cH
Hehe did he really sacrifice himself? I just thought he was dumb enough to try and beat it with a glock. After he got smashed by the tentacle, I was just standing there in the room going: right...dumbass!!! (That 70's show flashback hehe) I didn't really take advantage of the guy creating a diversion.

I think he tried to create a diversion, but didn't really work

Maybe he was more of an example of what NOT to do

Can you imagine playing HL for the first time, in Co-op with Voice Comms? (or in the same room). The moments you could have, like realising the Army are there too kill you

Sci "Im so glad your here...."
"Phew, some backup, now we can kick some real ass"
Gunfire....
"SHIT, ****, shoot him."
"Theres one over there! Crap theres more"
"GRENADE, ****!!!!!!"
"On your left..."

As you can see. You could get through a lot of cussing doing that.

It would be a dream come true if HL THREE (I know 2 wont) had Co-op from the start. As it is im going to rig up 2 comps next 2 each other, and me and a m8 can play through it together.

it took me a while to beat the game, so i cant remember all that happened, but one of my favorite parts, was right before the final boss (forgot name) and your in pitch black space, and whenever you jump you hear the echo.. and that final portal... i was freaking out like mess.

Originally posted by Tarkus
i like the part in the parking lot, were that tank like alien smashed through the cars (i always wanted to see a scientists driving one of those with his lab suit, guess the final part in blushift satisfied me), and right after that scene, killing the tank like alien with those controls to call a missile strike!! REALLY NICE

I can see them taking a wrong turn in the car after blue shift, pulling into a seemingly unobtrusive tunnel, and around the corner comes...

I loved the way the engineers lit their torches with their cigs, that part after the cliff where you pop up out of the sewer, shoot, pop down, and do it again in a different hole, I loved the ending so much.

Back