Coolest Half-Life moment?

my favorite part was in the 'On a Rail' level, where your on the rail car, and you turn a corner and all of the sudden a rocket comes flying at your head. I was like HOLY F***!

FoB_Ed I was at a friend's house and he was playing that part, I was looking over his shoulder. The sound was off because his parents were sleeping in the room next to his. When he turned that corner and the rocket came at him, I went like: "WOW! DUCK! DUCK FFS!!" at the top of my voice. He almost killed me because I'd woken up his parents hehe.

A lot of the things I saw going to say were already meantioned but the one I thought was really funny was when you were under a grunt or something. They couldn't see you and you throw a grenade in front of them and its like "OH S***!! *BOOOM!!* *gibs everywhere"* Ah, so funny.

Coolest Half-Life moment?

Train ride. No, actually, the entire beginning. Getting introduced to the world of Half-Life. Hearing a recording about the Black Mesa Corporation. Being greeted by a security guard. Watching scientists discuss the experiment. Getting blown away from the explosion that caused it all to go wrong.
How many games before gave you that sense that you were actually Gordon Freeman, in this real world, struggling to get out of this place?

Half-Life is a masterpiece.

Black Mesa Corporation? I think your wrong there bro. The Black Mesa Research Facility is government funded.

Originally posted by kdavey
Black Mesa Corporation? I think your wrong there bro. The Black Mesa Research Facility is government funded.

my fault. It's been a while.

oh and,

There are so many.

At the time when I first played the game, it was towards the end of Surface Tension and you are walking through a vent. You hear some grunts talking, then they hear you moving through the vents.

Then you hear "It's FREEMAN!!!" and they start shooting at the vent. The bullet holes allow for the light below to shine through and then the vent crumbles dropping you into the garage below.

I thought that was amazing.

But there really are so many.

Originally posted by Wesisapie
Or - Because there is no scripted AI, there will be LESS cool things like this. I like scripted AI to an extent, when used right like HL did.
Half-Life 2 will still include scripted sequences like Half-Life did, only the physics engine will apply to them and make them even cooler.

Me and a couple of my buddies were at a friends house playing Half-Life. We killed all the lights in the room and the sound volume was pretty high. Anyway, my friend got to a part where you have to crawl through an air vent.

The vent was completely dark but my friend decided that he doesn't no goddamn flashlight 'cos there would only be a couple of headcrabs hiding in the vent. Suddenly, a vent wall in the end of the tunnel crumbled and he got attacked by Snarks. He just started screaming and firing randomly. Us watching were scared shitless by his scream.

I have never seen a man screaming in such terror while playing a computer game since :) .

There really was no defence against snarks in vents. Outside of vents they are really easy, just run around in circles until they blow.

In no particular order:

The damn. The slow-building intro (a work of genius). the resonace cascade. tentacle beasts. that bit where some aliens kill 2 marines then an APC full of soldiers crashes tghrough the wall and they start fighting. airstrikes. That hilllside part with the helicopter and marines. Your first time in Xen, thinking WTF? Scared shitless. Nihilanth. the crusher. Assassins. The Gonarch (big walking testicle with legs that screams and births headcraps-Scared the shit outa me. The "Don't overcharge it!""what do youmean, over... BANG" bit. Launching the rocket. Any marine/alien fights. tanks. Helicopters. Vent-crawling. rappelling death-squads. G-man. The ending. From Lambda core onwards, the brilliant sense of climax, of leading up to the final descent into the hell of Xen. The giant teleport. etc, ad infinitum.

See? There really are so many.

Oh, and to all those who doubt half-life 2's potential? Think about this. At the very least, it will be as good as the first one.
And Xen was great, cos it was weird, it really freaked you out. Brilliant.

Anyone remember 'They Hunger'. That was a scary mod, and the story and scripted events were so good you could almost think it was made by the HL team, almost.

killing barney and quickloading and doing it in 100 differnt ways

Originally posted by Sulkdodds
In no particular order:

The damn. The slow-building intro (a work of genius). the resonace cascade. tentacle beasts. that bit where some aliens kill 2 marines then an APC full of soldiers crashes tghrough the wall and they start fighting. airstrikes. That hilllside part with the helicopter and marines. Your first time in Xen, thinking WTF? Scared shitless. Nihilanth. the crusher. Assassins. The Gonarch (big walking testicle with legs that screams and births headcraps-Scared the shit outa me. The "Don't overcharge it!""what do youmean, over... BANG" bit. Launching the rocket. Any marine/alien fights. tanks. Helicopters. Vent-crawling. rappelling death-squads. G-man. The ending. From Lambda core onwards, the brilliant sense of climax, of leading up to the final descent into the hell of Xen. The giant teleport. etc, ad infinitum.

See? There really are so many.

LOL, that was an awesome post. It made me feel like I had relived the whole game in about 30 seconds.

i say the loading express in the beginning !!!
</sarcasm>

Originally posted by FAK3R
i say the loading express in the beginning !!!
</sarcasm>
I know that was annoying when playing HL through for the third time, but that was pretty great the first time around, really immersive.

Yea when your fist play it the beginning ride is really cool. Such a damn good intro to the story. It is boreing though after 2-3 times..

Yeah that was a good intro. I wander if they'll have an intro like that in HL 2...
Subject: Gordon Freeman....

Thanks dis.Yes, they hunger was great. i liked driving the big steam train and the scientist's lab. Oh, I made a matrix map. It's bloody good, but you can't have it cos its corrupeted. Assassins in the lobby, grunts, osprey and apache on the roof, glass floor, interrogation room and helicopter ride all included.

Back