Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Operation Payback Available

TheBreakfast

Content Creator
Reaction score
From now until July 31st, seven of the top-rated Steam Workshop maps will be available on official CS:GO Classic Casual servers through Operation Payback, available now through an in-game purchase for a limited-time discounted price of $2.99, or $5.99 after the offer expires.

MainImage.jpg

The seven maps that will be made available are: Museum, Downtown, Thunder, Favela, Motel, Seaside, and Library. After purchasing the update, players will be able to invite their friends to play on the seven new maps with them - even if they don't have the pass.

Downtown.jpg Favela.jpg Library.jpgMotel.jpg Museum.jpg Seaside.jpg Thunder.jpg

It also comes with an upgradable challenge coin, which can be viewed alongside players' avatars. Players will begin at bronze and can battle their way to gold.

Operation Payback is the first in a series of limited-time updates aimed at giving a financial reward to some of CS:GO's most popular mapmakers. From the Counter-Strike blog:
We really wanted these maps to reach a wider audience, and also get the people making these amazing new gameplay experiences rewarded for their efforts... And remember: “Payback” is just the beginning. Future Operations will highlight all-new collections of popular maps. So stay tuned, keep mapmaking, and keep upvoting!

Source: Counter-Strike Blog

Please note: the Store page for CS:GO reads that there should be eight maps, while the Counter-Strike blog, the in-game map list, and the Operation Payback page state that there are seven. It would seem that Operation Payback was to contain one more map, Pool Day, but for unknown reasons they chose to exclude it. Pool Day is currently available in the Steam Workshop.

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 8,622
Grabbed it. Right now it's misleading and cannot be purchased for the 2.99, bear in mind it will take you to their donation window which starts at USD$5.

Always in support of the custom map community.

Grabbed it. Right now it's misleading and cannot be purchased for the 2.99, bear in mind it will take you to their donation window which starts at USD$5.

Always in support of the custom map community.
Thanks! It may be a glitch, as the Counter-Strike blog and Steam page for CS:GO both say it should be $2.99 right now. I'll edit the post and note that you pointed it out. I haven't purchased it yet myself, but I definitely will this weekend.

They refunded the difference in funds to my Steam Wallet, fyi. So it looks like that's how compensation will be done for initial buyers.

Bought mine tonight for £2.50 - haven't played all the maps yet but I really liked Downtown and Favela so far. Glad to support map makers but I'm not too sure on how long term this model will work to incentivise people to continue supporting mappers.

So am I correct in assuming that these maps become free after July 31st?

They're already free on community servers, the fee just gives you the badge, matchmaking for those maps until Jul 31st (when they'll expire and the next pack will be introduced), and encourages mapping. The matchmaking for these community maps is strictly classic casual.

So what I'm trying to say is, it's nearly completely charity to mappers and change for Valve. They're also trying to get more people to swing over and add meta-game elements. I feel similar to Glenn in the issue, it's all sort of confusing and awkward to me. Classic casual is typically intolerable for me, but for the map rotation I'll play it a few times.

You got it :]
So I purchased the pack (loving the maps so far), but I think I figured out the source of the glitch you encountered. Since Operation Payback is an in-app purchase, it requires you to add money to your Steam Wallet, and the minimum increment you can add is $5.

So I purchased the pack (loving the maps so far), but I think I figured out the source of the glitch you encountered. Since Operation Payback is an in-app purchase, it requires you to add money to your Steam Wallet, and the minimum increment you can add is $5.

Ohhh ho ho. I'm a dumby!

Back