Counter-Strike: Shiny

Yup... And if you want confirmation it's a glitch, Neutrino, look at the buildings outside of the office in the distance.

They should feature the same stripes. These seem to be lacking in the screenshots at Core Limits review though. ><

I hope Half-Life 2 isn't glitched up to high heaven by Source problems.

have you ever been in a garage with a concrete floor? especially in winter time?that floor is shiny...hell even MUD can be shiny sometimes..I do agree with you about the weird shiny on the floors inside..but it can probably be fixed..I was just pointing that out about the garage

JMO on the matter

It's not always so much that things are shiny, it's that the wrong cubemaps are being applied to the wrong objects, allowing surfaces to reflect things that simply don't exist. It looks all wrong. Then there is the generic specularity that brick seems to have in CS:S (and HL2 if you look carefully). It looks slimey, like watermain broke and sprayed water all over everything. In certain areas it makes sense, but in others it just doesn't. Office is really the only place that nails it in this regard. The paint on the walls reflects exactly as it should, and it makes sense for outside surfaces to look slick and shiny. The effect being used in the right spots can seriously add to the scene. In the wrong spots it seriously detracts from it.

Complaing more. Its a super cool effect makes the game look better.

Raziel-Jcd said:

Yeah, unless you abuse it. Slapping shaders on every possible surface just because you can isn't a good plan. You special effects to brush up your worlds and add that extra bit of realistic detail. The moment you abuse it by slapping it on everything haphazardly, the positive effect becomes negative and things start to look worse for it. The overuse of a particular effect can ruin an otherwise wonderful environment.

Right, here are the pictures to show this isn't just an isolated case:

Corruption 1:

Odd stripes:

my.php

Corruption 2:

Odd stripes 2

my.php

Corruption 3:

Water doesn't line up against wall correctly.

my.php

Corruption 4:

Water looks too dark from certain angles and doesn't reflect properly.

my.php

Corruption 4 (comparison):

At a flat level, the reflections and lighting are fine. (My system is running everything at full tilt before you ask).

my.php

Corruption 5:

Look closely at the distant buildings. They suffer from the same striped 'effect'.

my.php

There are some serious issues with Source. It doesn't appear to be a resource problem, but an engine specific one. :(

Raziel-Jcd said:

I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding between the people commenting on the shinyness of the game and the people saying they shouldn't complain about it.

To clarify, as far as I can none of us are saying the game looks bad, we are only saying it could easily look better.

I agreed, then I went to the toilet - then I noticed the door was varnished *shiny*, the carpet was lino *shiny*, the toilet was shiny, the walls were squared blue and guess what; shiny.

You may not think it, but look around - the world is alot shinier than you think.

azz0r said:
I agreed, then I went to the toilet - then I noticed the door was varnished *shiny*, the carpet was lino *shiny*, the toilet was shiny, the walls were squared blue and guess what; shiny.

You may not think it, but look around - the world is alot shinier than you think.

Yes, all those types of surfaces should be shiny. Bathrooms usually are. I'm talking about things like old wood, rough stone and the like that obviously should not be shiny.

The shiny effects aren't anything I have a bone with.

It's the fact such effects are quite clearly corrupted on some PCs which I do. I've seen screens which don't feature the striped effect glitch in the same places.

CB | Para said:
Then simply disable it instead of whining like guinny. You know there's a console right?

Yes because saying its 'overdone' obviously means he never wants to see it anywhere.

Dust was great in the beta because that effect wasnt overdone. It was only used on the one tile floor. However in these new maps its WAY overdone, Im in Chateau and every single service in the room made of WOOD PANELING is shining back at me. Its a great effect and I love it , but keep it subtle. I have a feeling that CS:S is just showing off and that Hl2 textures will be much more realistic.

Specular mapping is about 3 times as prevalent and "shiny" on DirectX 8.1. 9 looks great though.

NuMbA.0nE.sTuNtA said:
This doesn't have anything to do with it. The overuse of shine is more a flaw in Valve's art direction than a flaw in the engine it'self. Source didn't make it shiny, a Valve artist sat at his computer and took the extra time to add a shiny effect on objects that obviously shouldn't be shiny at all. Poor art direction is the problem here.
Disable it and quit ur crying newb! Console mat_nobumps-0, mat_specular-0 Now are u happy kid?

Gavon said:
Disable it and quit ur crying newb! Console mat_nobumps-0, mat_specular-0 Now are u happy kid?

first of all take the time to type out words like 'you' and 'your'. Secondly comprehend that he isnt saying that he hates the effect altogether, its overdone. So he likes to see it in places therefore hes not going to turn it all off.

krameriffic said:
Specular mapping is about 3 times as prevalent and "shiny" on DirectX 8.1. 9 looks great though.

Yes!! Everyone *READ THIS*!

Both sides are telling the thruth because of this. I tested the game forcing Dx 8.1 and the specular highlights are much more "vulgar" and less "subtle" By the way, I prefer vulgar than subtle :)

But this is most probably the reason why people complain about the excessive use of "shinyness". They are using DX 8.1...

Here are 2 screenshots, one on DX8.1 and one on 9.0
---
DX8
cs_havana_dx8.jpg

[br]
DX9
cs_havana_dx9.jpg

Hope this helps the bitchin stop! :p

lol! i was wondering where the bitching was from...... must be all the people with DX8 cards....

(i use 9600, a dx9 card)

I'm using a DX9 card, and DX9 as a renderer. Again, let me reiterate, in the above screens by SunshineRecorder, the lighting on my system doesn't look like that. There is an engine bug which seems to be cropping up on a number of PCs, which aren't cropping up on others.

If I really have to, I'll send an email and bug report, listing all the areas where I can find the descrepancy against other screens where things look fine. But it won't do much, if any, good at all.

Why? Because Valve and Vivendi aren't likely going to delay the release of Source and Half-Life 2 to deal with a problem like this. Not at this point. :(

The Best those of us who are going to be likely playing through a technically bugged up version of Source in Half-Life 2 will be to hope for is a patch. Quickly after release.

DimitriPopov said:
Yes because saying its 'overdone' obviously means he never wants to see it anywhere.

Whining about it won't help it either. If you think the effect is overdone, then either disable it or play with it, there is no other choice.

No, there is another choice, you can whine about it. Valve way over did specularity.

I like the shiny effect in cs_havana. That map just oozes atmosphere with it's low cast shadows, overall darkness but intense sunglare on the top of buildings. If you haven't done it yet - try havana, it might not be the most accessible map but it sure gives you a nice atmosphere. It reminded me of City 17 really. Awesome lifelike textures, nice specular mappings and the lightning and shadows are just... almost perfect.

I have noticed the shine, but I dont really mind it, I think it looks nice.

SunshineRecorder said:
Don't count on them admiting they are on DX 8 though :)

I'll freely admit it. Yes I have a dx8 card and I'm glad someone found that there is a difference between dx8 and dx9. If that is the reason I see evrything with high gloss and others don't then I'm glad. That way it's not a problem with the game itself, but rather a compatibility issue.

I do wonder however if Valve can fix this discrepancy.

i totaly dont agree with this
offcourse they used it much.
but defiantly not to much

btw there is still a option for reflect world refrect all or refect weapons or something.

i'm sorry but i kindy love it with 16x af and reflect all
and its defiantly not to much else you all should play far cry
thats actualy to much plastic fantastic lol.

WhiteZero said:
Whining about it here wont get you any results...
http://www.steampowered.com/forums/

Don't read it if it bothers you so much.

And yes thanks I've been to steam forums and I've submitted a bug report.

zer0kewl said:
i totaly dont agree with this
offcourse they used it much.
but defiantly not to much

btw there is still a option for reflect world refrect all or refect weapons or something.

i'm sorry but i kindy love it with 16x af and reflect all
and its defiantly not to much else you all should play far cry
thats actualy to much plastic fantastic lol.

It seems worse than farcry to me. But like someone pointed out this is most likely due to me having a dx8 card. If you have a dx9 card then you are probably not seeing it.

The graphics are nice, and the gameplay is like CS, great. What more do people need from a game??

Ohh Kudos to Neutrino for being cool about it. I may be weird but I'm now running at DX8 instead of 9 just because it's extra shiny. :angel:

AJ Rimmer said:
It's too shiny yes, but it's not worse than Doom 3.

doom3 is all about metal..
metal = shiny..

Back