Cry of Fear Released (Half-life 1 Horror Mod)

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
The Half-life 1 mod scene isn't finished yet and Cry of Fear is probably the most anticipated HL1 mod of recent times. It's a horror mod with a single player and co-op component but beware, this is seriously scary stuff. You have been warned!

The mod is a total conversion so you won't see anything from Half-life 1 you will recognise but the team have gone beyond that adding technologies you wouldn't expect the ageing engine to support. You will find cut-scenes, high quality sounds, models and textures which will almost make you forget the engine's age.

I would seriously recommend you check this mod out, you won't be disappointed. Download from the Cry of Fear website via their Moddb page.

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,546
A bit second hand and possibly untrue but I saw a guy on SPUF saying he heard that Cry of Fear installs custom dlls that can get you VAC banned if you try to play GoldSrc online after installing it. I have no idea if this is true or not.

I've been playing the coop mode with my buddy. It's very difficult and frustrating. You should set the auto respawn time to 10 seconds before starting a server. You can perform a CPR on your friend to save him from the dead.

Holy shit, I had no idea this was coming out already. Afraid of Monsters was amazing, high hopes for this one.

Just downloaded it, anyone here up for doing coop with me?

Holy shit, I had no idea this was coming out already. Afraid of Monsters was amazing, high hopes for this one.
I heard this a bit. I tried to play it but it I just found it annoying as hell. Some time after I shut off the hospital generator and got through the electrocuted wires I found some kind of conference room IIRC with some sort of puzzle. I can't really remember it very well but I could not figure out what I had to do and just run around wasting my battery in the dark. The enemies stopped being scary after five minutes of randomly wandering around. Their speed was a shock at first but after that they just became tiresome and pestering. I guess the Half-Life 1 movespeed made it too easy to just avoid and dance around monsters so they had to make them faster to compensate, but doing a little pistol dance with the zombies isn't frightening. They should have made the player slower instead.

From what I've heard, the level design is pretty bad, it doesn't build a strong atmosphere and relies on jump scares. Haven't tried it myself. And I won't. Not my type of stuff, Dead Esther is too scary for me.

It's not that bad. What ruins the game for me is the poor gameplay mechanics. You can just skip the singleplayer and play the coop with your friends.

Back