Crysis 2 Pulled from Steam aka 'OMG EA Are pulling all their games from Steam'

Just to clarify the situation I thought I would change the title. You may all carry on.

Combined with the good Physical Warfare news, if Origin lets me run my games through the Steam Overlay, I'll be happy to buy BF3 at a Steam-equivalent price.

Basically, you don't need Origin for Old Republic as you will be able to just use BioWare servers =]

the question is, do you really want to?

If BF3 is not on steam i'm getting it on PS3. Simple as that EA
You sure told them! They will be devastated when you put your money in their left pocket rather than their right.

I'm hugely excited for BF3 but if it isn't on Steam, I won't be buying it. Like Pi said, I don't want a separate client for every publisher and I certainly don't want multiple clients running all the time on my PC. Not sure how many other people leave Steam running most of the time your PC is on but I certainly do.

I saw some of Origin's T&Cs as well as their promo ideas (Crysis 2 facebook sale thing) and I find it hard to understand why they bother ploughing so much investment into something if they are going to offer a reduced service compared to Steam (and even retail). Like someone said earlier, something is seriously wrong when pirates get a better service.

I think we're all just victims of the popularing of gaming. When it becomes popular, it stops being about fun and starts being about how to turn a penny into a dollar. It will stay that way until people stop accepting the 10 modern warfares a year and big publishers like EA are forced to resort to the more expensive and time consuming process of quality and actually do things for the consumer. Of course idiots will keep buying your Maddens every year even though it's the same as last year with a new roster... and they'll pick up every single dumb game with a trailer full of cutscenes.

Yes. Thank you. When EA make quality games then maybe Origin would be justifiable.

I think we're all just victims of the popularing of gaming. When it becomes popular, it stops being about fun and starts being about how to turn a penny into a dollar. It will stay that way until people stop accepting the 10 modern warfares a year and big publishers like EA are forced to resort to the more expensive and time consuming process of quality and actually do things for the consumer. Of course idiots will keep buying your Maddens every year even though it's the same as last year with a new roster... and they'll pick up every single dumb game with a trailer full of cutscenes.

As Acepilot once said: "The consumer is dumb." However, I'd like to add to that with my own twist: "The average consumer is dumb."

Guys, we are focusing too much on ideology and Valve/EA fanboyism/hating. All I want are good games, and I don't care too much about distribution platforms.

Limited installs? Nope, not gonna happen, son. And I don't buy hard copies or console games anymore, sooooo yeah. Not like I want anything they make. Just, uh... just sayin'. If there were something, I still wouldn't get it.

Limited Editions piss me off so much. You want to buy it but it's hard to justify spending an extra ~$10 or whatever for the random crap you get sometimes. Unless it's one of those limited collectors shits that's twice the price and you get a bunch of swag that has no purpose. But then you have games like the ones from Bioware where you get actual extra content that's awesome. But it's never really clear if it's ever worth it and no matter what happens you end up regretting your decision.

Ok I'm done.

I make it a point to only buy limited editions that have actual physical items that are cool that come with it(models, soundtracks, whatever). Paying extra for content they took out of the game/added just to break the balance for people willing to pay more is stupid.

EA Limited Editions don't cost extra, it's just that they are only available for the initial release shipments for boxed copies and for the first week or so on digital distributors. As I understand it from now on all digital distributors except Origin will only have the regular edition from the get go.

yeah, 'limited edition' usually just means the first run of the game these days...

and even then it's not really limited since I can still find some limited edition versions at various places.

Limited edition just means "please please please preorder".

I'm debating whether I should preorder on Origin... EA gets the same amount of money either way. Origin preorder, and they net the 30% cut that Steam takes. Steam preorder, and they net the cost of the Back To Karkand expansion pack.

Do I save money, or pay extra out of principle?

I thought BF3 wasn't on Steam?

Might as well post this here - some redditor contacts EA support about the download limit, is reassured. If this is accurate then I'd be a hell of a lot less weary about using the service... I still wouldn't want to, but hey.

HCjpv.png

I thought BF3 wasn't on Steam?

Might as well post this here - some redditor contacts EA support about the download limit, is reassured. If this is accurate then I'd be a hell of a lot less weary about using the service... I still wouldn't want to, but hey.

snip

Well, that does actually help me change my thoughts on EA's customer service.

I don't even like Steam, and sure as hell won't be liking Origin or any other service that doesn't let me run my game independently, but hey, this is good.

We already know that Steam is a system which carries inherant risks of abuse; you're basically buying into a system which could revoke access to your entire games catalogue at any time without appeal. If you don't trust the people running the system, then it's something you want to get the bargepole out for.

So why, for the love of all that is holy, would I want to put that trust in the hands of EA?

Back