Crysis 3

BabyHeadCrab

The Freeman
Reaction score
Well, you clicked this so don't make a post saying how much you don't give a shit. Or do!

The Crysis 3 MP open beta has launched on Origin. Add me up, my id is foreverw4r

Seems like some good mindless shootan fun.

Couldn't give a damn about the MP. The bow in the SP looks like fun.

Needless to say this is the most system taxing program I've yet to put on my 670gtx build, the defaults gave me pretty terrible FPS. I'd love to cry "BAD OPTIMIZATION," but I think this wasn't made to run at anything close to 60fps. So I'm going to cry "BAD PORT." For now.

...but Goddamn it's gorgeous.

I only have a laptop(don't kill me too much) so I don't think I'm gonna be playing this anytime soon ._.
But it really does look fun. I miss these ridiculously overpowered weapons in video games, and it seems like Crysis 3 is kinda bringing them back.

Holy shit I just saw a killstreak that brought down a goddamn strider that started ****ing everything on my team up and I had a little childish nerdgasm.

It was actually pretty fun. The MP that is. It's extremely chaotic though so if you're into that kind of thing, I can see this being a blast for those people.

Is there still a very silly god-suit?

I've been playing some Crysis 1 recently (first playthrough, couldn't run it properly at the time it was released) and I am quite impressed with the gameplay. It kind of reminds me of Op. Flashpoint and ARMA actually - not in terms of realism of course, but in how you are put into a vast, open map with lots of enemies and have the freedom to proceed however you like - not many games do that nowadays.

Is there still a very silly god-suit?

I think it works pretty well as a gameplay mechanism. In other games you can soak up much more damage than the average enemy, just because you're the protagonist -that's a way of giving you the edge. In Crysis you've got the suit to give you the edge instead - without maximum armor enabled you're almost as vulnerable as your enemies.

IIRC Crysis 2 changed that dynamic and switches between perks automatically, making it more fool-proof, but the Crysis 1 suit is fine IMHO.

(...) suit functionality has been streamlined; multiple modes can easily be used simultaneously whenever the user wishes. This is decidedly different than the first game, in which the suit was generally limited to a single mode at a time and multiple modes cannot be used simultaneously for more than a split-second.

Alright, the functionality did change, but not exactly in the way I had in mind. Still, it made using the suit a bit easier.

Unfortunately the levels in Crysis 2 became linear and that coupled with the modified suit, made the game feel simplified. Apparently Crysis 3 is supposed to be more open, I'm a bit worried though since on one of the 'Wonders of Crysis 3' videos they showed how you can choose your own path and marked like 3 routes to an objective. That's better than one, but still doesn't seem too open. Wasn't too happy with the player taking shitloads of damage too - here's hoping that's a representation of easy mode and you die fairly quickly like in Crysis 1 if you get caught in a crossfire with no energy left to cloak or sprint to cover (I'm playing on Hard).

Wasn't too happy with the player taking shitloads of damage too - here's hoping that's a representation of easy mode and you die fairly quickly like in Crysis 1 if you get caught in a crossfire with no energy left to cloak or sprint to cover (I'm playing on Hard).

That's what difficulty settings are for. As far as I'm concerned I want to feel like a tank, otherwise what's the point of the fancy pants nanosuit of armor. This brings to mind the Storm Trooper armor, that's just there too look cool, but provides no protection at all.

WTF indeed.

Also I love it how every time it's obvious that a new game will be terrible, there are those people that defend it with the same tired resposes.
Such as:
"Stop complaining, reserve judgment after you've played it".
"5 hours of gameplay is fine. Who wants to spend 10+ hours in a linear game anyway?"
"Meh, I'm only interested in the multiplayer anyway."

etc.

I think Crysis 2 is objectively a better game than Crysis 1. Especially about half way through each. 3 looks like it's probably trash though, so there's that.

Well, I've heard the story and gameplay are better than the second, but the former was never a hallmark of the series to begin with. Concerning the second, I'll see soon enough.

I think Crysis 2 is objectively a better game than Crysis 1. Especially about half way through each. 3 looks like it's probably trash though, so there's that.
Crysis 2 is a significantly better game than Crysis 1, people were just butthurt about the lack of open environments. The linear environments of Crysis 2 allowed the developers to create a more carefully crafted experience, since a lot of Crysis 1's vehicle sections were ****ed anyway.

Its like arguing about which animal turd is better than the other. Sure, some are objectively and significantly better than others, but they're still shit.

/perfectkrynndogjokesetup

I haven't played the second one yet but the fact that in Crysis one for most missions (or at least the ones you're going to remember) you're just given an objective and your suit and told to do it however you like. That's what made the game. I love the Half-Life series for its perfect use of linear set pieces but that was not in the least the reason people loved Crysis. The linear set pieces are most people's least favourite parts of that game. No shit they were going to be upset when Crysis 2 was more like Half-Life and Call of Duty and less like Crysis. They were playing it to play Crysis, not to play those games.

Crysis 2 was more consistently entertaining than the first.

I'm well into the third one, the bow is fun to use, but the overall gameplay hasn't changed much. I'm expecting the game to end any time now, because supposedly it is horrendously short.

Hacking turrets is fun, at least. And parts of the game are visually striking.

Edit: Some deer just scared the **** out of me.

Hated Crysis 2. Not only did they have respawning enemies in some areas, so if you stayed in an area long enough after being detected and endless wave of grunts flooded the area (the third game does this as well to a lesser extend), most of the areas in the game didn't give the AI enough room to stretch it's legs. Not to mention that once you hit the midway point in Crysis 2 the levels become bland and uninteresting until you hit the last mission. Not to mention there was no ingame reference to what had happened to Nomad and Psycho so it felt totally dis-connected from the first game. It takes until Crysis 3 to explain why the aliens and their tech look so different between the first game and it's sequels.
The third game so far is a mix of the two. There are some genuinely lovely large scale areas that give you the ability to stalk like the first game but there in nothing on the scale of Crysis 1. Though looking at the maxed visuals on PC and their performance it's clear levels of Crysis scale would bring any system to it's kness so I guess it was a trade off.
Enjoying 3 so far none the less, much better gameplay then 2 but I heard it's half the length of 2. :(

Decided to go back and replay Crysis 1 a bit today after all this talk. It's mostly as I remember it and I can't fathom why anyone would think taking away freedom from this would improve it (again, I haven't actually played Crysis 2). Having to destroy a jammer or download enemy intel and having different options for doing it is great. Sneak in and out without being spotted. Blitz in smash it with strength and just run out, kill everyone and do it or turn on strength mode, throw and throw a long distance grenade to destroy the target while keeping clear of everyone. These are all options you can take and I've done all of them at least once in this playthrough and I especially love it because I get to pick when to use each strategy. I get to chose when to change the pace and strategy instead of being railroaded into it. The game does suggest certain courses of action or has the level facilitate certain things sometimes but other than the few missions where your objective is actually just to kill stuff it feels really nice to be able to approach it in ways that I decide.

I'm playing on hardest difficulty and abusing the power of the suit while ducking around, flanking, hiding and playing like Predator is pretty much necessary to play as you die just as fast as the enemies and they're very competent (for the most part). It's both refreshing and frustrating to go back to video game AIs who aren't completely blind. At one point I was surprised to be spotted from across a bay and fired upon, but why the hell wouldn't you spot someone in a dark robot suit standing on a beach in broad daylight? I'm too used to enemies being blind idiots.

Of course they are occasionally pretty dumb. Getting a kill with a silenced gun is usually treated as completely silent by the AI even if their comrade screams and falls down loudly right behind them. Makes sense from a game design perspective but when they can realistically spot you it's a bit odd. The other thing is that sometimes you can shoot an enemy in the back from very far away (with a silencer) and they'll go alert and look for you, but they won't actually turn around. You'd think they'd be able to figure out that a bullet in the back means the enemy is behind you. Enemies in vehicles seem to be unnatrually good at finding you too sometimes and the helicopter seems to be able to see you through walls as long as you aren't cloaked and that's pretty annoying when you have no rocket launcher.

I got as far as the tank level and stopped there. Didn't want to spoil my good mood :p

Edit: I do think Crysis might benefit from a health pack system like FEAR instead of regenerating health.

For those playing on PC and wanting a higher FOV, these console commands will get you up to about 90 FOV. Fiddle with the values if you want to.

FOV:
cl_fov 65

If you want to change the size of the huge gun models, type:
r_drawnearfov 80

Also, if you want to change the sprint FOV, the command is:
pl_movement.power_sprint_targetfov 65

65 is the default, you can fiddle from there.

no ingame reference to what had happened to Nomad and Psycho
Explained in a comic. Nomad took a rocket to the dick to save everyone else. Psycho got skinned of his suit.

Alcatraz is still somewhat alive somehow in a comic, still retaining his mind, but he is Prophet now.

Wait I thought the suits melded with their users over time, wouldn't skinning Psycho's suit kill him?

unless they invented a safe removal shit but that would be dumb oh well it's kind of dumb

also: I don't think FPS with michael bay storylines have a reason to go beyond five hours in length.

Explained in a comic. Nomad took a rocket to the dick to save everyone else. Psycho got skinned of his suit.

Alcatraz is still somewhat alive somehow in a comic, still retaining his mind, but he is Prophet now.

Yet in Crysis 3 there is a
text log from that guy you kill in Crysis 2 who works for cell, or his son [not sure which as death seems to mean nothing in this series) saying they are closing in on Nomad after all this time.
So if it shows Nomad buying it in the comic then perhaps they decided they weren't cannon.

I think his death happened post-Crysis 2. I'm not sure. Either way, you get his, Jester and someone else's dogtags from Psycho when he gets pissed at Prophet.

Wait I thought the suits melded with their users over time, wouldn't skinning Psycho's suit kill him?
They do, but there's an undersuit that can be worn to prevent the fusion process. The process can be fatal, but it can be survived. Hurts like a f*cking whore according to the video log of Psycho being skinned.

I think his death happened post-Crysis 2. I'm not sure. Either way, you get his, Jester and someone else's dogtags from Psycho when he gets pissed at Prophet.

Nomads isn't among them. according to the Crysis forums the back set are someone's completely different, can't recall who's now but not someone that was part of the original Raptor Squad. It's looking like they may be setting Nomad up for a return.

Original squad was Nomad, Psycho, Prophet, Alcatraz Aztec and Jester right?

No. Replace Alcatraz with Aztec. Alcatraz was a Marine you play in 2 who gets forced inside Prophet's Nanosuit after he kills himself.

Yeah realised that after I'd left my computer last night.

Back