Crysis news/info thread

Don't care about game play, looks fun enough exploring and blowing stuff up. :D

I have to admit, the game does look really fun.

Yes, it does, but I also remember really, really enjoying the Far Cry demo. Then I bought the final game. Also, whilst the trailer looked all fine and dandy (and I'm sure I will enjoy Crysis, no matter how meh the gameplay may ultimately be), the big fight with the...big thing...looked retarded.

I don't know, I think it was a flashback to something like Quake 4 for a moment.

Yes, it does, but I also remember really, really enjoying the Far Cry demo. Then I bought the final game.

Yeah... Never bought Far Cry because of the demo though.
It just didn't appeal to me.

But then again, I had a shitty computer when I played it.

Yes, it does, but I also remember really, really enjoying the Far Cry demo. Then I bought the final game.

So, by your own admission, you're ignoring your own feelings regarding the recent media, and instead basing your opinions on a game that came out three years ago?

I don't want to sound mean, but I NEED TO GET TO THE BOTTOM OF YOUR INCOMPREHENSIBLE ISSUES WITH THIS GAME ;(

Yeah... Never bought Far Cry because of the demo though.
It just didn't appeal to me.

But then again, I had a shitty computer when I played it.

I like how they picked pretty much the best level from the game. I love tropics, and was jumping in and out of the water like a three-year-old. But in the final game I found the gameplay got old fast, and there was really nothing to it throughout.

20 levels of the same shite? Had to drag myself through it all like Doom 3.

Also, sorry to drag this off-topic a bit but...

I remember watching a video of Farcry's mission editor or w/e.
It was supposedly very sandboxy.

The guy was changing the terrain, adding grass, adding some soldiers... then he hit a button and he playtested it.
Did that ever actually get implemented into the game?
I've heard almost nothing about it since then.

Yes it did :) .Farcry's editor was exactley like that, and it's carried onto cryengine 2. Was very easy to get into and can only get better really.

Making your own crazy awesome looking islands and MP maps will be a piece of cake for Crysis as the screens of the editor they released for it appears the same.

Yes, it does, but I also remember really, really enjoying the Far Cry demo. Then I bought the final game. Also, whilst the trailer looked all fine and dandy (and I'm sure I will enjoy Crysis, no matter how meh the gameplay may ultimately be), the big fight with the...big thing...looked retarded.

I don't know, I think it was a flashback to something like Quake 4 for a moment.

oh god quake 4...

The guy was changing the terrain, adding grass, adding some soldiers... then he hit a button and he playtested it.
Did that ever actually get implemented into the game?
I've heard almost nothing about it since then.

It was. And very useful it was too.

The new trailer pretty much confirms that this game is going to be the best looking game ever. But i'm still not convinced that the gameplay is going to be anywhere near as good as the looks. Even if its just a polished version of Far Cry, without the the annoying trigens, that still means the game will be worth the purchase. But the only way i'm gonna believe this game will be as good as its hype is a demo. And i'm not expecting the story to be anything genre-setting like people have said.

I know this will sound weird, but this game looks so good it looks kinda bad.

Did notice some nasty lo-res distance soup textures in the latest dx10 video, suddenly i'm getting flashbacks to the pre-Oblivion videos and the slow emergence of the not-quite-so-nice-to-look-at videos after all the initial quality wow shots were exhausted. Being picky i'm sure i'll see lots more stuff to bitch about.

Some of those maps actually don't look complete to be honest, or their not actually running them at the best quality, because the demo they did this january had no low res distant textures.

Everything looked great.

IGN had an interview with Cevat Yerli
IGN: One of the cool features that we've seen in the game and only had a little chance to use is the nano suit. Why was it important for you to implement this into the game?

Cevat Yerli: The Nano Suit has always been a key aspect of the core game mechanic from the beginning. The idea was to create an experience that adds another dimension to how you can play the game. In an FPS you obviously need to cover the shooting aspect of the game but when you add the abilities of the suit into the mix you really start to see some creative ways in which you can approach a given in-game situation. It adds a tangible set of choices around the hero.

IGN: What are the different abilities available to players through the nano suit?

Cevat Yerli: The suit gives the player the ability to enhance their Speed, Strength, Armor and of course Cloak - Any of which can be selected at any time but at a cost of energy that will deplete during their use and recharge when the enhancement is not being utilized.

IGN: Out of all of those abilities, which tends to be the most useful in most situations? Have you seen testers or some of your team develop affinities for certain play styles?

Cevat Yerli: The goal really is to ensure that all of the suit's functionality is equally useful. Obviously in a heavy fight you might want to dial up the armor but you could perhaps use strength instead and pickup a large fuel drum and throw it into the enemy. Other options could include cloaking and using enhanced speed to quickly flank around and taking out the enemy from behind. Watching people play the game so far has proven that there a ton of creative ways in which to take on the enemy. We have seen some pretty wacky things and approaches that really show that there is never really ONE way to win.

IGN: How much have the abilities changed over the course of development? Are they basically how you all envisioned them from the start?

Cevat Yerli: The suit use and its abilities are pretty close to how it was originally conceptualized. The only real changes have been down to getting the balance right on each of the suit's functions and still allow the AI to offer a challenge. As we started to playtest the abilities of the suit it was clear that some abilities were far more powerful than others. We really had to take a closer look at what was happening and determine what needed to be done to keep the experience fun and challenging. We want the suit to really encourage different ways to play but the last thing we want to do is make you an invincible superhero. The goal is more Six Million Dollar Man rather than Superman.

IGN: Will players have access to all of these abilities in multiplayer? If so are some of the abilities particularly useful for different types of multiplayer games?

Cevat Yerli: All the suit abilities will be available in Multiplayer. This is where the experience really gets interesting because now you are dealing with a human that has the same abilities and it really makes for some fun situations. You can see someone else speeding around to flank you or just before you get to an enemy they dial up strength and jump up onto a roof and escape. The creativity really shines in this forum.

It defiantly looks like the game is shaping up. It seems like they are putting a lot of effort into making the nano suit work well. Multilayer defiantly sounds fun at this point too.

Also I found this pic to be pretty impressive.

The whole nano-suit concept is one big thing I think Crysis has going for it. I really enjoy good and fun singleplayer experiences. Sometimes AI, being less clever than a human who's at my same strength, is more fun to toy around with, as I'm sure anyone who's played HL2 will tell you. Thus, I can already see myself replaying the singleplayer campaign, or if not the entire game, several specific areas, utilizing different assets each time. In my opinion, variety breeds quality gameplay, and from what we've seen, the game looks damn entertaining.

The whole nano-suit concept is one big thing I think Crysis has going for it. I really enjoy good and fun singleplayer experiences. Sometimes AI, being less clever than a human who's at my same strength, is more fun to toy around with, as I'm sure anyone who's played HL2 will tell you. Thus, I can already see myself replaying the singleplayer campaign, or if not the entire game, several specific areas, utilizing different assets each time. In my opinion, variety breeds quality gameplay, and from what we've seen, the game looks damn entertaining.

Agreed 100%

True, but there was quite a bit of variety in Far Cry, yet i only found myself wanting to replay the same two/three levels out of twenty. The added abilities should add more fun, but i never really used the abilities in Deus Ex too much unless i absolutely had to.

True, did anyone play Chrome and it's follow on Spec ops? It had a similar idea to Crysis in the suit, great graphics for its time but really ropey AI. Although I did love how you could alter play style depending on suit mods you were using. I also loved how you needed to shoulder your weapon if you wanted to aim well. However I really disliked how your suit functions sucked up so much power so quickly and in the second game didn't 'cool off'.

I hope crysis allows you to keep your suit running for a fair while.

Theres a new video with a commentary by the visual effects designer on incrysis.

*mumbles on about some multiplayer beta...

Signs of Multiplayer BETA on the Horizon?

Tuesday, 30 January 2007

Computer And Video Games announced today that Crytek will be revealing the plans for Crysis multiplayer BETA program in the near future. Read the news bit here. Thanks to marius for the link!

"Announcement on beta programme due soon along with multiplayer surprises, Crytek tells CVG

Crysis fans will be given a chance to blast their way through the game's multiplayer component thanks to a public beta, we can reveal. In an interview to be published in full later this week, Crytek president and CEO Cevat Yerli revealed that the developer will soon "announce our beta program plans" for multiplayer "to experience [it for] yourself"."

http://www.incrysis.com/

Sounds very interesting, wonder what the surprises are...

Leakzors? oh noes.

20021104h.gif

There's also a new interview on Firingsquad:

Here
There's a thread on incrysis about it, here.

Hey Alan, it may be a good idea to change the title of this thread into "Crysis News/Info", since it has pretty much become an all around Crysis News thread, and the Crysis thread you made previously didn't seem to pick-up.

Maybe not yet, but soon maybe because all of the Crysis news we're getting seems to end up in this thread.

You cant edit thread titles.

Only teh mods can do that. D:

Back