CustomiZing your Windows!

Reaction score
The Post Your Desktop Thread inspired me to post this, my WIP guide :)

Righty - I shall include screenshots of my own computer running the programs if possible, if not, I shall use the ones provided on various websites :>

Here I go

-(part 1)-

The basics

Firstly, if you're not going for shell replacement, then you will want to patch your Uxtheme.dll to accept 3rd party themes. Then, simply browse www.deviantart.com and www.themexp.org to get what you want - generally themes come in 2 flavours, the .msstyles and .theme extensions.

A screenshot of just a basic theme (KDE), with some new icons for My Computer/the Recyle Bin

desky.JPG

Secondly, for more leetness, you'll want the Windows Powertoy TweakUI. This lets you do all sorts of coolness like changing what items appear on the desktop, and what can appear in the 'Most Used' section of the program's menu. Now, Microsoft do a whole set of Powertoys if you're interested, but I haven't used them aside from TweakUI, so I can't really comment on them, but most seem to be not of great use to me!

First catagory Docks

In order of RAM usage, the smallest is RK Launcher - very very Maclike, made to be supposedly compatible with Y'Z Dock docklets and eventually ObjectDock ones, all with a minimum of RAM usage.

In terms of use, it's fairly easy to configure it to how you want it - the basic programs the icons point to weren't the ones I wanted to use, but it was pretty easy to change them, and to add new icons to the Dock. Here's a screenshot of it in action on my PC:

HmmmXP2.JPG

Now I didn't have much sucess getting it to work with other docklets and extensions, so that's a minus, but one that will hopefully be fixed in future releases. The second minus is that the autohide feature of it kept minimising games in loading when my mouse neared that side of the screen. Plus points include ease of setup/maintence, minimising windows sends them to the Dock, represented by their screenshot (a minus point is that tasks don't show up by default in the dock, they HAVE to be minmised), stability and low low RAM usage :)

(The Mac-ness can be a plus or minus depending on your point of view :p )

Next up is Y'Z Dock, which has been in the news lately, having been shut down by Apple, for directly emulating their dock :p - but, as with everything on the net, it's possible to find, and the first result on a google search was this!. So much for lawsuits eh :D

Slightly higher in RAM usage than RKlauncher, by about 2 or 3mb, it supports a range of plugins, but sadly, as it never made it to a full release, there aren't that many about. Still, it has SysStats [live updating system statistics, email, news etc] capability, (If you can work out how to config it properly :p ) and has a range of other extensions available :) Here is a screenshot of it running with the very Mac-like Milky Flavour theme on my PC:

newdesktop.JPG

It was very easy to install new plugins for Y'Z Dock, (just put em in the plugins folder) and easier still to use them! (Just add them via properties, or by right-clicking on the Dock itself! ). Another plus point is that it uses around 12mb or RAM at peak, if memory serves correctly, and didn't crash on me once. It's a pity it never made it to a full release, becuase it probably would have been very good. The main minus point is that there aren't a lot of options available to customise it by default, and there isn't a huge variety of docklets available (due to it's destruction). Another disappointment, although minor, was the fact that the icons it came with weren't very good at all, and I had to seek out some good ones!

The final dock worth mentioning is ObjectDock now, the two versions of OD (Plus and the free one) are a bit different, in the sense that the free one is a very limited version of the paid-for. However. It does use less RAM, around 16mb if memory serves. The Plus version, as it contains more features, such as a tabbed dock (more on that later), the ability to monitor the systray, and multiple docks on screen at once. It uses anything from 16mb to 26mb of RAM. I have seen it peak at 35mb - but I'm not sure. An example of multiple docks on my PC:

deskkkk.JPG

As you can see, I am not using at as a full taskbar replacement in this screen, merely as something to comlement basic Windows features. In the next screen, I am taking advantage of the tabbed dock and taskbar replacement options:

plus.JPG

The tabs in this case, functioned like a start menu replacement, with the dock itself my 'favourite programs' list.

Now, ObjectDock is well supported, with a huge amount of docklets available for download, however, a lot of them are rather buggy and crash OD itself, which is a very bad thing :p. The fact you have to pay for it is a major downside, but to be honest, it IS worth it if you're going down the route of docks, dispite the heavy RAM usage, the fact that it's by far the easiest to install, and it's far more customizable than the other two, make it a very very attractive choice. Just make sure you have 512mb+ of RAM :D

Docklets for Y'Z Dock and ObjectDock (And AveDesk which I'll be covering in a future update) are available free at DockEx.com
And icons and docklets are available for free (well, only till you exceed your download imit, and from then on I recommend using a login from www.bugmenot.com ) at www.wincustomize.com (along with extras for other StarDock programs I shall be covering in future updates! )

Docks to avoid AquaDock and MobyDock: Both were just generally rubbish, MobyDock coming with a docklet (present on the dock by default no less) that crashed the dock when used!

-(part x)-

So far, all the programs I have discussed have run under Explorer.exe - this next installment will deal with:

Shell Replacement

Simply put, this replaces the shell of Windows, explorer.exe with that of another program, completely customizing the interface - they can be a blast to use or configure - if they behave properly ;) . Now, I didn't have a chance to test all the Shells out there, but I've cut down to a selection. Also, I don't have screenshots of them all running on my machine.. but I shall endevour to update it till tht is so.

The very first shell replacement I tried was EvilDesk, which runs using around 8mb of RAM while just sitting there, but I have seen it peak at ~18mb - still less than Explorer. Anyway, a major plus to this shell is it's easily accesable documentation.

evildesk-desktop.png

Comes complete with taskbar and 'flasher' plugin, which makes the icons of programs demanding attention (IM windows for example) bounce and flash in the slit near the systray.

Positives include: low RAM usage, optional window transparency, 4 virtual desktops, and nice minimalist look. The one major gripe is the complete and utter lack of a taskbar.. it's very hard to get used to switching programs using Alt-Tab...

I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it.

I shall be adding more later along the lines of:

[more] Shell Replacements

Other Enhancements

File Managers

Plus anything else I can think of :D

Feedback please :dance:

Nice, I already know most of this cuz I'm super awesome like badger. :LOL:

Nice thread.

Should change the title to "Pimpin' Out Your Desktop". :p

If you go as thorough and in-depth in the other sections as this one, you should probably sticky it so all your effort isn't wasted. :D

Amazing. Love it. Already considering using it on my computer (But I only have 512mb of RAM :|). I think I'll use Y`Z Dock for the dock, and that's about it. I don't want CSS to get too bad, but I'm definately getting some of those Windows things.

I've already customized most of my windows. Got nice new white curtains in my bedroom now. :E

I'm enjoying EvilDesk right now, pretty sexy, going to attempt and customize it like a mofo hyped up on crack :D

I have no clue wtf that is suppost to mean.

-Alix

I dunno if you mentioned this in your main thread or not, I'm to lazy to read it all, I just wanna know, how do you change the colour of your dock? I want mine black like Kamikazie, look at his sig and then click "My Desktop" His is black, It's cool, I WANT MINE LIKE THAT!

dekstar said:
Amazing. Love it. Already considering using it on my computer (But I only have 512mb of RAM :|). I think I'll use Y`Z Dock for the dock, and that's about it. I don't want CSS to get too bad, but I'm definately getting some of those Windows things.
thats all i have...but i have nothing on my desktop...exept for heidi klum!

Kamikazie said:
thats all i have...but i have nothing on my desktop...exept for heidi klum!

Pfft!

Adriana Lima and Josie Maran FTW!

EDIT: OMFG NOES NOES NOES NOES NOES!!@@!@#!@#

I LOST MY 1337!

DDFNSJFLDJFDLSJ

NOES!

sinkoman said:
Pfft!

Adriana Lima and Josie Maran FTW!

EDIT: OMFG NOES NOES NOES NOES NOES!!@@!@#!@#

I LOST MY 1337!

DDFNSJFLDJFDLSJ

NOES!

couldnt stay quiet forever...i still say heidi ftw

Kamikazie said:
couldnt stay quiet forever...i still say heidi ftw

She's indeed hot, but I still think Adriana is the hottest moving thing on the planet.

I was wondering, what does that shell mod do besideds delete your taskbar and allow you to make windows transparent?

sinkoman said:
She's indeed hot, but I still think Adriana is the hottest moving thing on the planet.

I was wondering, what does that shell mod do besideds delete your taskbar and allow you to make windows transparent?
who are you talking to...

windows powertoy tweak is not what i expected....

no ability to change colours of anything it just allows you to change the layouts of icons and what you do and dont see, mans u can go all minimalist but will still be same xp style :(

Joims said:
windows powertoy tweak is not what i expected....

no ability to change colours of anything it just allows you to change the layouts of icons and what you do and dont see, mans u can go all minimalist but will still be same xp style :(
Yeah it's a bit silly like that. I suggest getting the konfabulator. Only problem is the quicklaunch doesn't work, but I can use YZ-Dock anyway for that.

i installed style xp, go tthe themse uninstalled it nd it made my uxtheme dll actually work right:)

so woo hoo :p

btw ppl www.themexp.com or what ever, once you download a theme u have to install it via an exe which makes u install a toolbar or you cant use the theme.....

Gah! That Evil Desk shell replacement I installed (Because I didn't want a proper taskbar anymore) keeps using 100% of my resources. And explorer.exe won't load anymore! How do I get rid of this bastard!

EDIT: Meh it seems to be working fine now. But it kept eating all my CPU resources ¬_¬

Joims said:
i installed style xp, go tthe themse uninstalled it nd it made my uxtheme dll actually work right:)

so woo hoo :p

btw ppl www.themexp.com or what ever, once you download a theme u have to install it via an exe which makes u install a toolbar or you cant use the theme.....
Haha, actually, most are zip files with the theme in :E

Also - Konfabulator = bad. I'll explain why later :p

got a dock thing going. I don't have a Mac theame at all...I just like the idea.

I need to find me one of those nice little programs that shows your CPU usage/clock/RAM usage/etc...anyone got any good ones?

'badger you said in another thread that your shell is less ram hungry than explorer but is there any way short of killing the explorer tree to avoid computer slowdown since i've a paltry 512mb ram

astonshell which i had before caused significant slowdown for me............

Thanks for the great guide, Badger. I've been wanting to try something like this for awhile, so this will help get me started.

The only thing is, you didn't include WindowBlinds in your guide. It's a great, easy way to customize Windows without doing anything too extreme like modifying files or replacing explorer.exe. Any reasons why you didn't mention it?

CyberPitz said:
got a dock thing going. I don't have a Mac theame at all...I just like the idea.

I need to find me one of those nice little programs that shows your CPU usage/clock/RAM usage/etc...anyone got any good ones?
Well using konfabulator loads of people have made system monitors. And I expect that Object Dock has a load aswell.

Oh and that Evil Shell replacement thing is good (as long as it works). CSS runs pretty much as well as it did when I have that replacement, YZ-Dock, and Konfabulator all running at once. It's pretty good. and I've gotten used to using ALT-Tabbing.

dekstar said:
Well using konfabulator loads of people have made system monitors. And I expect that Object Dock has a load aswell.
explain? lol

Narcolepsy said:
Thanks for the great guide, Badger. I've been wanting to try something like this for awhile, so this will help get me started.

The only thing is, you didn't include WindowBlinds in your guide. It's a great, easy way to customize Windows without doing anything too extreme like modifying files or replacing explorer.exe. Any reasons why you didn't mention it?
WindowBlinds .. heh.. I shall be including that, I in fact ran it for a while.. I think I have a picture or two somewhere...

Oh, and for the guy asking about the shell replacement - bblean only runs explorer.exe when it needs to (i.e. you need a Window-based file manager) - this means explorer doesn't run on startup :)

My my, what a coincidence. Only yesterday I was gonna make a thread asking for advice about shells after that desktop thread.

Cheers Badger.

Honestly, don't download Konfabulator, each widget uses 8mb of RAM just by itself - it starts a new process for each widget and the manager itself uses 12mb approx :|

MEMORY HOG!

ComradeBadger... from whence thine ".theme" files originate, whereith douth thou puteth thine?

You place them in C:/Windows/Resources/Themes (along with any folders they come with :)

Ok, I have a problem.

I'm running YZdock atm, and I can't decide where to place it ;(

Right now I have it running on the right side of my screen, but it gets in the way of stuff.

I can chose to auto hide it, but that's really really annoying.

PLZ! I can't decide!

dekstar said:
Gah! That Evil Desk shell replacement I installed (Because I didn't want a proper taskbar anymore) keeps using 100% of my resources. And explorer.exe won't load anymore! How do I get rid of this bastard!

Seconded. How do I remove this damn shell? Help please?

Back