Day/Night cycle

A

archdev1l

I watched one of the Cs:source videos (at dust2). from that korean event,
and noticed that in the end of the movie the sky goes dark... is that a day/night cycle or is it just someone playing with the camera? Day and night cycles at de_dust2 would be an really realistic and fun part in the game + that wretched nightvision will finally become useful =). Just think about it... terrorrists coordinating their attacks and waiting for the darkness to fall before they attack... it would be AWESOME! (4 give my worthless english, i´m a swede.)

(i apologize if this is a common topic)

I actually pondered this too. I noticed in the various clips of CS:S footage, the shadow's global positions were quite different at different times. Plus, it did seem to be getting dimmer.. but it could've been my imagination

Time to e-mail VALVe!

Real time lighting based on the location of the server would be bloody KEWL- the only problem is I'd have to play CS in total darkness all the time cos I tend to play from midnight till morning :smoking: !

BTW archdev1l, your english is very good, better in fact than many on this forum who hark from english speaking countries ;)

Waiting till it gets dark ??? A average CS-Game isn't long enough, i think.

In general, different Daytimes (and weather) would be nice but not neccesary. I think they'll keep it for CS2.

ps: Yeah - I'm a zombie :naughty:

If the day/night cycles are a bit exaggerated like most games, I'm sure it'd work out fine..

Let's say, every 10 minutes is equal to an hour, and the map has a random time of day when it loads up

smsKONG said:
Real time lighting based on the location of the server would be bloody KEWL- the only problem is I'd have to play CS in total darkness all the time cos I tend to play from midnight till morning :smoking: !

BTW archdev1l, your english is very good, better in fact than many on this forum who hark from english speaking countries ;)

thanks, i'm doin my best xD

archdev1l said:
thanks, i'm doin my best xD

No problem dude:)

Oh and sorry for being a bit ignorant- Welcome to the forums archdev1l :cheers:

thanks again smsKONG, this is the first forum i´ve enter with nice ppl greeting u =)

of course the cycle shouldn't be equivalent to reality. Day/Night should only last a couple of minutes. If the map always starts at the same time, then u could plan your
strategies based on the cycle. For example, if you KNOW that darkness will fall at round4 then u could wait and buy at round4 (as terrorist) to improve that surprise effect xD

Personally i think the cycle should start at random times, and you´d have to adjust to it. WHy not make a cvar? First u make a cvar that specifies AM or PM let´s call it cl_cycle. Then we create cl_starttime. Why not throw in a cvar that controls the length of the cycle? uhm... cl_daylength or something.... ( bad imagination :p )
cl_cycle "AM"
cl_starttime "1" this would equal 1.00 AM
cl_daylength "2" (specified in minutes. 2 minutes = it takes 2 minutes to go through the whole cycle, day - night - day.
cl_starttime "0" would equal RANDOM starttime.

what do we get from this? 1.00 AM and within 2 minutes we´re back at 1.00 AM again.
As you can se, this thought makes me very enthusiastic since it's becoming a MUST! =D

Day/ Night would be awsome. Its about time we made good use of the night vision goggles. How good would it be playing cs_assault at night, seeing light glowing out of the front door and having a well hidden sniper on the tower. It would be great

does any valve employee read this site? :X i hope they pick this up.

OK definitely time to email valve about this for some confirmation......looks like it's down to me to be ignored by valve again!

Right, I've emailed Gabe, time to wait and see what the score is- if I get a reply obviously.

/spunkymonkeyspliffKONG crosses fingers and prays to the self pleasuring chimpanzee god :upstare:

save it for cs2, if there is day/night cycles, a round of cs isnt long enough but maybe it changes according to the length of time ur on the map.

no CS:Source is basically a port of CS onto the source engine so it probably won't be a feature, but who knows, stranger things have happened....

archdev1l said:
Isn't CS: Source Cs2 ?

Nope. CS:S is a port of Counter-Strike to the Source engine. CS2 should be an entirely new game

Shuzer - that's exactly what I meant my last post to say but looking at it, it's not very clear what I meant!
Damn my insomnia, it plays havoc with my brain functions...been up since yesterday morning (32hours and counting :( ),spent 40minutes swapping a fan round in my case this morning. Thats 15 minutes changing it round cos I thought I had it on wrong way round- 10minutes banging my noggin against a wall cos it was right in the first place- then 15 minutes swapping it back round! :dork:

{EDIT} is it me or has your avatar got smaller? ignore that it's probly me!

archdev1l said:
smsKONG: gr8 work =) give Gabe the url to this thread.

Dammit, it's little things like this my small monkey brain always forgets!!

Dynamic lighting huh? that would be pretty sweet, I'd like to play aztec during night time and Kong get some sleep man ;)

CB | Para said:
Dynamic lighting huh? that would be pretty sweet, I'd like to play aztec during night time and Kong get some sleep man ;)

Okely Dokely Para, I'm going to get lots of sleep.......BUT wait whats that, my god, IT'S counter strike and NOOOOOOOO it's calling my name, `JUST ONE MORE GAME MONKEY MAN' . help me! :eek:

It certainly looks like it gets dark in the video... this might already be implented. Otherwise, it shouldn't be too hard to implent.

I think it would be very cool to have day-night cycles, but not real time. Every 1-2 minutes it would switch from day to night. This would be very cool for clan play, as it would effect when teams decided to move in to plant.

a day in 2 minutes ?!?! :eek: Yeah and on top of that bullet-time effects.....*ironic*

I was just wondering what version of the Korea video are you referring to...is it the Nari-CS one or the GameMeca (1, 2 or 3)?

Well, it's doubtful that this would be included but who knows, it could be as easy as a server mod.

the way i would do it is have round 1 be morning, round 2 be mid-day, round 3 be dusk, and round 4 would be the starry night-time. not have timed days, but a day whose time depends on what round you are on...

If we DO have this in CS:S, it might be thanks to me (may not be true). I emailed Mr. Yahn about this (For some reason, I came up with the idea while riding my bike through a forest in the middle of the night) & explained pretty detailed. I'm not saying he was thrilled over the idea but he DID think it was a cool idea & that it would probably be very possible via Source.

It's in the Valve-info thread actually. *Hopes I get credited :E*

Sidenote: I did suggest a REAL-TIME clock built-in & not a GTA-stylish setting depending on where a server was located. I still think it's a damn cool idea :thumbs:

Edit: I've read some of the responses in here & maybe day/night could shift between rounds? 'Cause a change every 2 minutes sounds a tad fast.

2nd Edit: I also emailed Gabe a few weeks ago about weather effects (though not in real-time...) such as snow, rain, ice & how they could affect gameplay with Source but he never responded ;(

I don't think hl2/css/ has a day-night cycle.

Simply because the used bsp-tree with its pre rendered vis and rad has 1 defined lightstyle and thats it.

You could fake it with tuning down the brightness, some dark sprites/fog and the change of the animated sky.

Realtime Lightcycle ala Stalker = a big nono!

i'm refering to GameMeca Video 1. Watch it at 7:57. The sky definatly gets darker.

There is a plugin for AMX for regular cs (and im sure other HL mods) that changes the lighting to the servers specific time.

http://amxmod.net/amx-plugins.php?cat=search#93197

It doesn't look all the good because of the normal HL lighting, and when it's completly pitch black you HAVE to use the night vision, the only thing you can see is the sky. And im sure when they have a AMX port to CS:S, im also sure that somebody will convert that plugin and if not im sure somebody will do it if you ask nicely.

You could put different fake skies (and things like moving clouds, shooting stars, etc) in the 3D skybox and fade between the appropriate ones at different times of day. A combination of that and altering the intensity of the lights in the map (as in that AMX plugin) could provide excellent results.

I have yet to see a map with excellent lighting. Such as you suggested "a shooting star". Do you know how much atmosphere that would bring to a map? You're running in cs:s_backalley and you just happen to look up at CT spawn and see a shooting star go by then *TINK* head shot. Those type of little things really add atmosphere. People over look things that are small and dont realize if they add it to a map it would tie in with the setting and really bring a map alive.

Good idea, as long as its a feature that you could turn off. Gun barrel flares would look nice at night as well.

Here is an idea that i think i will make tommorow for a map (it will be a small sqaure). I will make a cs map with a spawn, some tree's and what not and make a camp fire with a fire sprite and then add some flare sprites around it to give the impression of a "3d" night sky.

archdev1l said:
i'm refering to GameMeca Video 1. Watch it at 7:57. The sky definatly gets darker.

Yeah, it look like it gets dark for a very short time though.

Maybe it's the effect of clouds passing in front of the sun?

Well I've heard nowt from Gabe so I guess we'll have to wait and see. And like you guys said its definitely moddable anyway so we should get chance to do this at some point.

God I feel better for a coupla hours sleep :dozey:

I was hoping they would add this & artifical light sources such as lamps (you know, think chandeliers & street lamps on de_inferno) that would be connected to this lighting system :) So when it's day-time on a map, the map would be played out during the day & as the time changes, street lamps etc would turn on automatically. That would be really cool imho :E

I don't see how this would be so hard to create (even Yahn said it would be very possible) & I hope someone does it if Valve won't :p

Well hopefully someone will convert that prog for Cs over to CS:S and then......well i guess we will have our day/night cycles :)

archdev1l said:
Watch it at 7:33 too.

I'm 99% sure that's just the camera adjusting from dark -> light scenes.
Watch the color of the side of the monitor that you can see, it also changes.

Back