Dead Island announcement trailer

DEATHMASTER

The Freeman
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZqrG1bdGtg

Pretty nice trailer. I look forward to hearing more about the game.

From Wikipedia:

"Dead Island is a survival horror first-person shooter with RPG elements, currently in development by Techland for Microsoft Windows and Xbox 360. The game will be published by Deep Silver, but so far no release date has been revealed. It is an open-ended game, centered on the challenge of survival on a zombie-infested island. The game uses a first-person perspective. However, the developers are claiming that the game will be far beyond a typical first-person shooter experience, mainly due to a bigger emphasis on melee combat, role-playing elements and a clear focus on story-telling. IGN has revealed the game is still in development."

I like Techland; in the past they have attached some innovative or mostly overlooked or out of favor gameplay ideas to the 'tried and true' formulas.

For instance, in one of their rally games, you had to pay for repairs to parts, or you could upgrade them instead. Another thing they did was that you could be injured from a wreck in different sections of your body, and you could even be killed, which ended your entire career and you had to start over.

I wish more developers would make 3rd person shooters. Is anyone else completely sick with FPS? Every other game is an FPS nowadays. But this does look pretty cool.

Amazing trailer. This could be the zombie game I have been waiting for, from the sounds of it.

Unfortunately the zombie theme has been beaten to a pulp these past few years, so I cannot say how much anything zombie related will affect me, I've been very zombied-out. But if there can be a game that is more focused on things like real survival, story, character interaction and development, coping with humanity, etc, I will be very , very, interested. I really hope that this game moves away from crap like Left 4 Dead and Dead Rising and focuses more on the "real" elements of what it would be like to survive in a zombie outbreak.

Amazing trailer. This could be the zombie game I have been waiting for, from the sounds of it.

Unfortunately the zombie theme has been beaten to a pulp these past few years, so I cannot say how much anything zombie related will affect me, I've been very zombied-out. But if there can be a game that is more focused on things like real survival, story, character development, coping with humanity, etc, I will be very , very, interested. I really hope that this game moves away from crap like Left 4 Dead and Dead Rising and focuses more on the "real" elements of what it would be like to survive in a zombie outbreak.
This, so hard.

I wish more developers would make 3rd person shooters. Is anyone else completely sick with FPS? Every other game is an FPS nowadays. But this does look pretty cool.
This is supposed to be a survival sim with a realism emphasis. Over the should doesn't really fit.

To be honest, whenever I've imagined my ULTIMATE ZOMBIE GAME it's always been with the RE perspective, though I suppose that is less conducive to story telling and characters because it's harder to see peoples's faces. But it definitely suits the imaginary gameplay! But my game is pretty much exactly what this sounds like, except I have everything very detailed and planned out, and this be pretty vague. Seriously, you guys are bein' absurd. "Role playing elements and story telling?! YAY! Why doesn't every developer do this!?" Every developer promises to do it, some even try, it's just the reality part that sucks. Don't overhype this based on an incredibly cutscene-y trailer. My annoyance probably originates from the fact that I really didn't like the trailer too much. I found some of the characters' motions awkward and the people very uncanny valleyish. That little girl especially reminded me of how creepy and fake all the kids were in the Polar Express.

Also, I resent the referral of Dead Rising and L4D as "crap", even if it was meant more in the "stuff" sense than the "shit" sense.

Seriously, you guys are bein' absurd. "Role playing elements and story telling?! YAY! Why doesn't every developer do this!?" Every developer promises to do it, some even try, it's just the reality part that sucks. Don't overhype this based on an incredibly cutscene-y trailer.

Oh, one of these posts. Where exactly is the overhype in this thread? My post?

Unfortunately the zombie theme has been beaten to a pulp these past few years, so I cannot say how much anything zombie related will affect me. But if there can be a game that is more focused on things like real survival, story, character interaction and development, coping with humanity, etc, I will be very , very, interested.

HOLY SHIT ZT, CALM THE **** DOWN, YOU'RE GETTING WAY TOO EXCITED ABOUT THIS GAME, YOU'RE PRACTICALLY SAYING "GOTY" AND SHIT BRO.

that was a pretty good trailer. I'm certainly intrigued and wanna see gameplay now

also can not stop listening to that music :D

well that was interesting,and kinda touching,dont see many games reaching that level

Pretty horribly scary and sad trailer tbh. :| This game I remember was announced roughly around 2008 and I thought the setting was cool because it was on an island. Too bad there is no gameplay in the trailer though.

Hey look, it's Edward Norton!

Very well done trailer. I like the fact that they are taking a more realistic approach to this genre. I wonder if this is just one of the possible outcomes of the game and not a definite thing. I am already depressed as it is.

Didn't even know she was a zombie. Yeah seems like an alternate ending of sorts. Or maybe just a teaser plain and simple.

I have to be honest, the second music like that kicks in for a trailer or in a movie my ass begins to twitch because I just KNOW an attempt is being made to manipulate me. All the quick edits and family imagery just adds to my discontent with this trailer that is doing nothing that has not been done before to advance the genre. Still, I would like to see some ****ing gameplay to see if it really is as unique as their PR people say it is. :-\

Amazing trailer. The lingering moment at the end with the dad reaching out to his daughter was bleak as hell, really effective. Actually I've been waiting to hear more about this game since I first heard about it, since the premise is basically my dream zombie game, the only thing that turns me off is that it seems they're going with fast zombies again. I guess with a focus on melee combat slow ones would be difficult to make challenging, but I was looking forward to it being more about survival by avoidance where possible - conserving not just your ammo, but your strength as well. Then again, there's always Dead Nation if I wanted a more tactical approach, assuming they both turn out okay.

Man, I have been waiting literally years to hear more about this game. They had an amazing deformation system last we heard about it, I would love to see some gameplay.

Hah, was about to post this.

Amazing trailer, very moving.

I have to be honest, the second music like that kicks in for a trailer or in a movie my ass begins to twitch because I just KNOW an attempt is being made to manipulate me. All the quick edits and family imagery just adds to my discontent with this trailer

Pretty much this.

Still, I would like to see some ****ing gameplay to see if it really is as unique as their PR people say it is. :-\
What did they say?

Interesting that he mentions it plays like Borderlands and Fallout 3... who knows how accurate that is, but playing like Borderlands is exactly what I don't want.

Wow, this is sounding pretty good. Nice surprise. The combat sounds like Condemned, which is definitely not a bad thing.

Interesting that he mentions it plays like Borderlands and Fallout 3... who knows how accurate that is, but playing like Borderlands is exactly what I don't want.

Oh god, if that turns out true, please kill me now.

Not to mention that the gameplay of Borderlands and Fallout 3 are almost nothing alike, other than having shooting in first person.

Indeed, which makes me even more skeptical on how accurate he was. He seemed to mention a questing system similar to Fallout 3... But where does the Borderlands aspect come into play? I hope that maybe it's just the the leveling up aspect, because if the game has missions that are anything like Borderland "missions", they will be absolutely awful. What I fear is the game will ultimately amount to just lots of zombie grinding to get to the next level.

"Dead Island (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Steam, PC)"

Oh good to know I can get it on Steam and PC! Preview didn't exactly give me a feel for the game either, and the Borderlands/Fallout comparisons don't help...

But hey, at least a few of my concerns have already been addressed. Slow zombies are in as well, and your character does have fatigue, meaning combat will be somewhat tactical. Now to hope they don't completely break the balance with overpowered skills or something.

Love this trailer and the screens show they haven't let it languish while they've worked on other games. Really looking forward to this.

Well apparently I'm days behind on this but I just saw it on Steam and thought it was an amazing trailer as far as game trailers go.

I never really had the slightest hope of this being anything like the trailer and didn't even like the trailer much. I don't think anyone really thought the trailer warranted anything but cautious interest. Cinematic trailers are generally 100% bullshit.

i'm not surprised per se but i'm still quite disappointed to hear that =(

I'm about two announcements of dumb game features away from hating Techland.

The developers themselves say they're going for "zombie zombie zombie all the time."

What. No. They specifically said this wasn't what they were going for.

F*ck. :frown:

On the other hand, it's IGN and they've been particularly horrible at previews lately.

electrified machetes? Damn I was hoping for a serious zombie game, not a dead rising FPS.

Pretty lame/uninspired trailer. Idk it's all 'Look Zombies and Slo-mo and a FIREAXE coolshades.jpg' when really it looks like a few games combined into one.

Woop-dee-doo, but at least it isn't another Modern Warfare type game.

Eh, I dont mind it being less serious. So long as there are no goddamn time limits in this zombie game I'm cool with it.

Back