Dead Space 2 Debut Trailer

Having to stomp on corpses (or do other physical abuse) didn't bug me as much as I thought it would.

Reviving thread for a moment. I've beat the game a few moments ago and I liked it. As everyone else posted, it's not really scary (BOO MONSTER CLOSET SCARY MUSIC), but it's definitely got some nice moments and set pieces. My personal favourite is Ishimura. Good pacing, great scenery gorn... Pretty much the only really unsettling level.

Dead Space's problem is that it's too gamey. Any seasoned gamer will immediately see through the game mechanics and predict where and when scary stuff will happen or a big fight will take place. Predictability is the death of horror and DS2 kills it in that way savagely.

By the way, which one is your favourite suit, HL2.net? Mine is this lil' baby called the Vintage Rig:

VintageRIG.jpg

I'm a sucker for antiques.

^^^Mine would be the riot suit. It carries an unmistakable sense of badassery with it. Even if it is just a security suit re-skin.

Tagaziel, you might wanna spoiler the
ishimura
part. That's a pretty big set piece.

ya hopefully they will make DS3 a little less predictable in terms of scares
still an enjoyable experience though

Even though sometimes you can predict when monsters will pop out and they do so frequently, which may be desensitizing for some, I still find myself pretty tense when playing the game. I'm not jumping at the scares or screaming etc., but I'm not killing the enemies with a "yeah, whatever, come get some" attitude either.

i think its funny that they still use the fake dead monster gimmick. you can tell which ones are fake dead by the way their bodies are lying.

Finally got around to watching the video in the first post...

"Your mom's gonna hate it." Dead Space 2 advertisement

Really? I did Lol' when the black lady said "This could make you insane."

Even though sometimes you can predict when monsters will pop out and they do so frequently which may be desensitizing for some, I still find myself pretty tense when playing the game. I'm not jumping at the scares or screaming etc., but I'm not killing the enemies with a "yeah, whatever, come get some" attitude either.

Sadly, I do. I think the best setpieces are the aforementioned ship and running from the regenerator. Two moments when I felt something else than "Bring it on bitches". Especially the latter made me felt powerless, scared and unbelieveably vulnerable.

On my first playthrough I did jump more than a few times as well as feeling the genuinely scary atmosphere during the Unitoligist living blocks and especially during the aforementioned
Ishimura
which all the way through matched any atmosphere in the first game. I will admit that overall I found the first game more unsettling but DS2 had more than it's fair share of moments. I will agree about the "play dead" Necro's though, they need to think of a better way of doing that now than putting them in the same lying position every time.

Dead Space's problem is that it's too gamey. Any seasoned gamer will immediately see through the game mechanics and predict where and when scary stuff will happen or a big fight will take place. Predictability is the death of horror and DS2 kills it in that way savagely.

I'm playing through the first one now, and I'm in total agreement with you. It's just too systematic and predictable. Doom 3 in third person much?

I agree with Tagaziel, at least with regards to Dead Space 1 since I haven't played 2 yet, but it didn't prevent me from enjoying playing through Dead Space and replaying it.

It's pretty safe to say anyone actually going into this game expecting to be scared is derping. Neither game was ever scary, no matter how much the devs try to hype it up to be. They'd been built with horror in mind, but in the end were always action/survival.

Hell, you could watch the trailers right away and tell. All of the actual horror is implied/visual.

It's pretty safe to say anyone actually going into this game expecting to be scared is derping. Neither game was ever scary, no matter how much the devs try to hype it up to be. They'd been built with horror in mind, but in the end were always action/survival.

Hell, you could watch the trailers right away and tell. All of the actual horror is implied/visual.

Different people are effected in different ways by different things. What might be scary or unsettling for one person may be totally the opposite for someone else. Both games give me jumps and scares. I've seen many different videos on Youtube for DS2 where people are genuinely effected by the babies crying etc in the living blocks which is not something that bothered me but got to them on a psychological level. I think it's unfair to state categorically that a game isn't scary simply because it didn't scare you.

It's the same way how my wife can't watch certain things in movies that I don't have a problem with. Different things, different people.

Dead Space undeniably employs cheap scares, though. It's all "boo" and gore and grubby environments.

I can remember one thing that was pretty unsettling actually. In the Titan Heights apartment area there's one section where you come across a dry cleaner. One of the machines are rattling violently with something heavy inside it. When I went back and did a second playthrough I got to a section shortly before that where you could hear a baby crying in one of the apartments. It then dawned on me "What if there's a BABY in that machine?"

I then tried to punch it open so I could use kinesis and fire it at the necromorphs dropping out of the ceiling.

On the other hand, if the entire game was built like the Shalebridge Cradle...

Different people are effected in different ways by different things. What might be scary or unsettling for one person may be totally the opposite for someone else. Both games give me jumps and scares. I've seen many different videos on Youtube for DS2 where people are genuinely effected by the babies crying etc in the living blocks which is not something that bothered me but got to them on a psychological level. I think it's unfair to state categorically that a game isn't scary simply because it didn't scare you.

It's the same way how my wife can't watch certain things in movies that I don't have a problem with. Different things, different people.

This. I liked the atmosphere of the game but it didn't really bother me that much on a psychological level. A lot of the tension for me came from the "cheap" scares - I can't help it, it's not like the knowledge that I will be repeatedly treated with sudden sounds and monsters popping out automatically makes me desensitized to it. The tension comes from the fact that I am constantly expecting something to suddenly attack me and it is released only after I clear a room, to come back again once I move forward. As for the gore, the death animations for instance are amusing (not in a bad way) rather than scary.

Of course I would prefer to be psychologically scared, but I'm not sure if that can be really possible with no actual threat to me (ie. it's just a video game).

Out of curiosity, to those who don't find the game scary at all - can you name some games during which you have been scared?

Out of curiosity, to those who don't find the game scary at all - can you name some games during which you have been scared?

For me, its games that have unintentionally scary moments.

For example, while playing Highway 17/Sandtraps during Half-Life 2 I stopped at one of the many deserted houses. After slowly combing through each room for supplies, I spun around to head back only to come face-to-face with a poison zombie. Not only was it an unscripted "BOO!" moment but the fact that this thing had been stalking me the whole time, never once making any noise, was pretty freaky.

Also, during the San Andreas myth craze, the forest area at night with its eerie silence became really unsettling.

The part in chapter 5 when you are in the circular room in the unitology church was ****ing horrifying. The way those special necromorphs behaved was incredible, it was as if they were playing with me. Running around in the background, peeking out from their hiding spots looking at me, and then randomly charging at me super fast while i lunge back in my seat in fright as i panicky try to hit C to slow them down. Oh and the cryogenic area did a good job on scaring me too. Its one of those moments where you KNOW for sure something is going to pop out, and you are totally prepared for it, but when it finally comes you STILL jump.

Finally beat it in Zealot. 15 chapters of survival. I can't imagine having to go through that with just 3 saves, especially how long it would take (beat the game in maximum of 3 sittings). Just give me my DS3 now and all is well.

To be really scared in a videogame, I have to be harmless and defenseless (see Amnesia). Give me a weapon, give me an armour and I'll be like "come on, little freaky bastard".

The part in chapter 5 when you are in the circular room in the unitology church was ****ing horrifying. The way those special necromorphs behaved was incredible, it was as if they were playing with me. Running around in the background, peeking out from their hiding spots looking at me, and then randomly charging at me super fast while i lunge back in my seat in fright as i panicky try to hit C to slow them down. Oh and the cryogenic area did a good job on scaring me too. Its one of those moments where you KNOW for sure something is going to pop out, and you are totally prepared for it, but when it finally comes you STILL jump.

Those are my favorite new necromorph. I could sometime tell when they were going to be in a room, and it got me excited each time.

Doing new game+ on Zealot is a cakewalk. I think the forcegun is my new best friend.

Bumpage.

Ok so apparently there's a hack out that unlocks the console exclusive suits and stuff on the PC version of the game. **** you EA, this shit is just lying around in the game and these sons of bitches just hid it. It's shit like this that makes them look really bad. I have the link, send PM if you want or look it up yourself, it's on Reddit.

Really? I don't know about anyone else, but I took some extreme joy in stomping the shit out of corpses while Isaac strung together curse words.

I love it. One of my favourite things to do in Dead Space was stomp on both animated and dead corpses. A forceful boot and a satisfying crunch-splat followed by a nice bit of fluid spray.

In Dead Space 2 we got all of that plus "YOU MOTHERF**KER".

Bumpage.

Ok so apparently there's a hack out that unlocks the console exclusive suits and stuff on the PC version of the game. **** you EA, this shit is just lying around in the game and these sons of bitches just hid it. It's shit like this that makes them look really bad. I have the link, send PM if you want or look it up yourself, it's on Reddit.

Oh, nice. :| So much for exclusive.

It's actually pretty much unnecessary unless you like the looks of different suits. Given away instead of found :\

They give bigger bonuses on armor and other shit. Comes in handy on Zealot to have a 10-15% boost in whatever your current armor rating is.

Patch for PC is out, fixes the unlocks for New Game + and control mapping as well as giving us all the paid DLC. Also, although it's not mentioned in the notes it also fixes the absent DoF in actual gameplay:-
http://static.cdn.ea.com/visceral/u/f/DeadSpace2/deadspace2.exe
Anyone wondering, that's a replacement for the original executable, not an installer.

Whilst it's awesome that they're unlocking stuff that's already on the game discs for PC owners (sweetens an already sweet deal on this £14 game), it is quite sad that the Severed DLC isn't making its way to the PC. Everything about the PC release has been very begrudging. No Limited Edition, no DLC. Hell, they needed to be talked around to even making a PC version in the first place.

Liking it a lot more than the original too. It's like they actually sat down and had some ideas for what could happen in the game this time. But it would be nice to play one of these sorts of games without the spectre of inevitable betrayal and hidden agenda floating around their two person casts. Shame they didn't get to fixing that

Anyone wondering, that's a replacement for the original executable, not an installer.

Whilst it's awesome that they're unlocking stuff that's already on the game discs for PC owners (sweetens an already sweet deal on this £14 game), it is quite sad that the Severed DLC isn't making its way to the PC. Everything about the PC release has been very begrudging. No Limited Edition, no DLC. Hell, they needed to be talked around to even making a PC version in the first place.

Liking it a lot more than the original too. It's like they actually sat down and had some ideas for what could happen in the game this time. But it would be nice to play one of these sorts of games without the spectre of inevitable betrayal and hidden agenda floating around their two person casts. Shame they didn't get to fixing that

The Collectors Edition was released on PC, don't know if that's the same as the Limited Edition but we did get some love that way. I wouldn't be surprised if they backed down with the Severed DLC. It may come sometime after the console one but I still hold out hope for a release.

Back