Demo Reel Content: Please critique

Krynn72

The Freeman
Reaction score
Im coming up on the last few weeks of my production class for demo reels and I'd like you guys to take a look at this stuff for me. Anything you notice weird or somehow off please let me know. I only have three weeks left in the class, but the last two are for getting renders to work and starting to render them for my demo reel. So please, be as blunt and straightforward as you need.

Roman General:

Roman1.jpg

Roman2.jpg

Roman3.jpg

Flying Fox

Bat3.jpg

Bat4.jpg

Bat2.jpg

Bat1.jpg

Celebrity: (intentionally not saying his name, because im hoping its fairly obvious)

JC1.jpg

JC2.jpg

JC3.jpg

Thats some pretty good stuff there dude. Are you using Zbrush or Mudbox?

Thanks. Im using Zbrush 3.1, but I use a different material than the awful default red one. This one is more like Mudbox's material and is a lot better. Except for the bat, which is just some grey-clay material.

Excellent work, especially on the Roman Soldier O_O.

(intentionally not saying his name, because im hoping its fairly obvious)

Uwe?

(If it's not him, it's still close D: )

The shadows in the third image seem really fake for some reason :S

Well they're just realtime preview shadows, so they're not the greatest of quality.

What do you guys think of this as my demo reel graphic? Im going to have my name fade-in in the middle of the particles and maybe pulsate slightly.

(Right click and save as) http://3dmaloney.com/Misc/Graphic3.mov

Also, its Jim Carrey.

I wish I could do the stuff you do Krynn. :(

Hah, thanks. Did you get to see the video? Do you think its good, or should I take my intro graphic in another direction? Ive got a few other ideas that I may post to get opinions on.

Damn I thought it was Jack Nicholson.

Very nice.

You're the second person to say that. I guess it looks does like him from One Flew Over the Cookoos Nest.

Hah, thanks. Did you get to see the video? Do you think its good, or should I take my intro graphic in another direction? Ive got a few other ideas that I may post to get opinions on.

It's pretty cool. I was going to suggest increasing the life of the particles but you did just say you're going to put your name in the middle, so no need to do that then.

Ohh, now that you say the name I see it... I was thinking jack Nicholson though :p

eh, I guess as long as I dont say the name, people will either be like "Hey, thats a pretty good Jim Carrey!" or "Hey, thats a pretty accurate Jack Nicholson!"

Either way, I win.

Awesome, but he might look more like Jim Carrey if he had hair...

I guessed Jim Carey, though at the time I did not know why. After looking at some images, I have to say you've done his smile perfectly. The absence of hair is probably a good thing, as it makes you focus on his face more.

Thanks for the comments. I have added some hair in now, coming out of his hat. Ill post updates when I get to school. I also totally forgot that eyebrows exist, so ill add in those before I post ze updates.

Quality stuff.

Unfortunately, your celebrity doesn't look like Jim Carrey to me :/ For one, I think his face should be more slim.

I didn't see Jim Carey in there either. :(

I didn't see Jim Carrey, but it's still ****ing awesome.

Quality stuff.

Unfortunately, your celebrity doesn't look like Jim Carrey to me :/ For one, I think his face should be more slim.

Definitely, he has a longer, slim face, more of a rectangle than the squarish face you have at the moment. What reference photo are you using?

Definitely, he has a longer, slim face, more of a rectangle than the squarish face you have at the moment. What reference photo are you using?

Heres a few of the dozens of images im using.

Carrey_AG0088618135.jpg

JimCarrey-SGG-042372.jpg

JimCarrey-SGG-042428.jpg

I'll try to remember to take some screenshots of the newest version when i get to school today

He does actually look pretty square in those last two. Must be the hair.

So after awhile of fiddling with getting normal maps back into maya, and making them not look like ass, ive finally got some renders. Lighting isnt really my thing, so if you guys have suggestions, please post them. I was trying to upload a video with my camera moves, but there seems to be a problem with my webhost, and i cant access my site.

prev1.jpg

prev2.jpg

I think it's the smile. There's something wrong with the smile...

I don't think there's enough teeth.

The foot of the roman soldier looks a bit flat.

-dodo

I decided I'd texture them. Heres the roman. Hes not quite done yet, since I still have stuff to do on his helmet, and the metal shader for his wrist guards and blade are shit so ill be remaking them.

1.jpg

4.jpg

man your work is great, I love zbrushed art, one small thing, your soldier holding the sheeth (sp?) his sheeth is nice and detailed with little doodads but his hand is completely smooth, I think you should add some underlying muscles, bones and tendons. Also your bat, it looks just a little strange to me, proportionally, not trying to be mean or anything, because you are miles passed me in skill, but you want to put your best foot forward for your demo reel, and I think a few small tweaks and touch ups will take your work over that edge and make you stand out that much more. Cheers!

Some pretty darn good stuff there.

I tried to be critical, I honestly did, since you asked, but I'm not pro enough with 3D modelling to be too picky. The only thing I noticed was slight clipping issues between the armband and the arm (on our right) but your probably aware of it.

Top stuff!.

Yeah, I fixed that clipping issue when I got back into Maya. I thickened up his arm in zbrush, and just moved the bracer to compensate. I did put some detail in his hand, but looking at it now i see its not nearly prominent enough. I plan on fixing up the head's model a bit, so I think I may revisit the hand too. Anyways, here are some shiny* new textures!

*"shiny" may or may not be the right word to describe them.

1copy.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

Skin on his left arm might be a bit too orange but aside from that looking good. :)

Its in flv format, which makes it load a lot faster on the website (because its only like 12 mb when converted) but ill upload the .mov so people can download it if you want. I was going to do it anyways for when I post it at other places.

I'll edit this post when its uploaded.

Its in flv format, which makes it load a lot faster on the website (because its only like 12 mb when converted) but ill upload the .mov so people can download it if you want. I was going to do it anyways for when I post it at other places.

it's so cool. If you ever have time, you can make this an armor set for Oblivion. I am certain it would be the best out there.

I can do everything but 3D model, so if you really want to, I can make it an a usable armor set in the game.

I've made armor sets before using other's models. I modified the 3D model (mesh?), removing parts to make the armor look unique, and modified the textures, modified the armor values and benefits, and made a script to give you the items when you activate the mod.

I wouldnt mind making it an armor set. But I dont know the scale or anything that I would need to make it. Would it be possible for you to export an existing set of armor as .obj files so I can use them as a reference to the scale?

I wouldnt mind making it an armor set. But I dont know the scale or anything that I would need to make it. Would it be possible for you to export an existing set of armor as .obj files so I can use them as a reference to the scale?

Your model reminded me of the Arena Raiment
http://www.oblivioninfo.de/images/r/r_arena_l.jpg
that was light.

heavy raiment found here (might be of interest):
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...nt&start=108&ndsp=18&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N

I can give you a mesh/s of an armor (or a character body mesh) from the game. It will be in .NIF format though. I could launch Nifscope and see if I can export it in another filetype.

details on Nifskope.. and to download it:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=oblivion+nifskope&spell=1

let me know something

EDIT: BTW, Nifskope is just a simple to use tool. It can be used to assign textures to models, but it has other uses too. I know I used it and deleted parts of a model to make it look different. For example, one armor set had a belt, and some other accessory that I easily removed to create a different looking armor.

Yeah, if you can send me those files ill check it out. I dont have Oblivion with me, so i cant install it. Message me on AIM tomorrow and we can figure this out.

Also, heres the link to download (Right click and save as). Its a high quality version, i dont really have a low quality yet, so its 106 megs which may take awhile to download from my site.:

http://3dmaloney.com/Misc/Maloney_Sea_Low.mov

Back